Start by marking “Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan” as Want to Read:
Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan

Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan

A Covert Rescue Mission No One Expects to Succeed--Who will survive?
Special operator Jake "Snake" Drecker insists on a mission across borders to eliminate a brutal terrorist cell. They may or may not also be holding an American missionary hostage. But the intelligence is sketchy, the objectives vague, and the chance of success slim. Jake's boss and old friend, Lieuten
Published November 26th 2018 by Elk Lake Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Prodigal Avenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prodigal Avenger

Start your review of Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t tend to read war stories but, as readers of my blog may know by now, I tend to grab anything that comes my way! I love the excitement of discovering new authors and reading material that I wouldn’t have normally picked; broadening my horizons and enriching my reading experience. 'Prodigal Avenger' does just that and whilst I have rated it an average three stars, think this is a well-written novel.

My rating reflects my overall enjoyment of this book. I don’t tend to read war stories becau
Joseph Courtemanche
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best military novels of 2018. I enjoyed the faith element, and that was a good part of the story. But the relationships in the intel world were captured well, and the book leaves you wondering about some of the world's current events.

I strongly recommend this book. Moynihan belongs in the top-tier of modern military writers right next to Thor, Clancy, DiMercurio, and a couple of others.
Jewel Hart
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan by Tim Moynihan is an action-packed, Christian, military suspense thriller about a covert operation to rescue a missionary, while fighting the War on Terror.

Filled with accurate depictions of the chaos of war, the author weaves a story of patriotism, faith, loyalty and courage all together brilliantly to bring readers a memorable story they will never forget. I could not put this book down and read it late into the night. It is a true pa
T Olsen
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has a great plot and great characters, and is basically about one incident in Pakistan. The author seems very knowledgeable about the area, as the descriptions are dead on (I've been there). The only problem I have with the book, is trying to increase the suspense by wasting time. Unnecessary descriptions are just that; unnecessary. There is also some religion that's of no interest to me, but it's not a problem in the story.
Well worth a read!
Peter  Younghusband
When I first read No Greater Love: An Afghan Memoir, I was very impressed with this novella. This novella launched Moynihan as a newly published author. You would never know from reading this novel.

Now he has returned with his new novel, Prodigal Avenger. I am so glad to see this as a full-length novel. He has more than shown he can write a full-length novel. And it has not affected his writing style or any aspect of his ability to tell a story. To me, it appears he has come into his own with th
Robert Williscroft
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prodigal Avenger is not so much a novel about covert operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan before the removal of Osama Bin Laden as it is an operational report on one such operation. The framework of this report is a novel with characters that come to life from the very first page, but the realism and technical detail are so good that it is difficult to see it as a novel. The main character (one of several, actually), Chief Warrant Officer Jake Drecker, characterizes himself as “a secular-Jew-c ...more
LeAnne
I made the mistake of trying to read Prodigal Avenger at bedtime. Warning: this fast-paced military action set in Afghanistan and Pakistan early in the War on Terror is NOT conducive to falling asleep! I kept turning pages with my heart in my throat. Although the military acronyms and weapons specifications could have been in Farsi or Urdu and I would have understood them just as well, they conveyed an air of authenticity and the impression that the author (a former Army Ranger) knows what he is ...more
Amy Shannon
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full of action and intrigue

Moynihan pens an intriguing story in Prodigal Avenger: A Story of the Secret War in Afghanistan. First, I liked that the story was fast-paced, and that the reader didn't have to wait for the action, and intrigue. It was military based, and yet, as a civilian, I was able to follow it without question. The characters are strong, especially "Snake" who is on a mission. There is a sense of urgency, thrilling intrigue and determination that comes from the story and the char
Anne Campbell
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This war story is well written, fast paced, and definitely from a man's perspective. Personally, I think this will be an excellent read for guys. It's full of action, action, and more action. Four stars.

Take one special forces anonymous one-man strike force, dress him in a burqa, and send him after the worst of the violent Taliban and Al-Qaeda, etc, leaders. Scratch the terrorists. Repeat.

Until an American-Jewish Christian Missionary gets kidnapped, and then the scene changes.

Available from Amaz
Carol Pennington
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would not normally choose to read a military based book. However, I am so glad that I chose to read this one. While a bit of the tactics were over my head, the story was amazing and kept me turning the pages. It gave me a different perspective to the war in Afghanistan.
Texas
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prodigal Avenger - This is my first read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience. It's a pleasure to read a book by someone knowledgeable and with the ability to write properly. This is an interesting book with a good blend of fact and fiction intrigues and mesmerizes the reader until the last page. There's plenty of suspense and action, but no graphic gore, just factual presentation as done in real life amongst professionals.

The author's vivid descriptions clearly inform
Maria Logan-Montgomery
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I review books online as “The Grumpy Book Reviewer”. I read Prodigal Avenger at the request of the author, Timothy Moynihan. In addition to being a superb writer, Tim is a minister and a former U.S. Army Airborne Ranger and intelligence officer. When I picked up this book, I was hooked on the first page. This was a story I couldn’t put down.

It is frightening tale of our intelligence officers and special forces working to keep us safe from those who have exploited Islam and used it to justify the
Arnie Postier
Jun 04, 2020

• Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy
  • Bear Cat
  • A Bullet Through the Helmet: A Vietnam Dustoff Pilot's Memoir
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • Tiger Bravo's War: An epic year with an elite airborne rifle company of the 101st Airborne Division's Wandering Warriors, during the height of the Vietnam War
  • Of Men and Mountains
  • William Clark And The Shaping Of The West
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
  • Hitch
  • Staying Alive (The EMP #2)
  • Pushing On (The EMP #3)
  • EMP-Hardened Radio Communications
  • Shadow Among Sheaves
  • Surviving Chaos (The EMP #4)
  • Finding Shelter (The EMP #8)
  • Heart of a Warrior Angel
  • Defending Camp (The EMP #6)
  • Family Feud: A Marshall Family Western - Book 2
"Moynihan's polished prose is fast-paced, and his gritty descriptions are sometimes starkly poetic." - Kirkus Reviews ​

Tim Moynihan, from East Hartford, Connecticut, enlisted in the Army right out of high school, attended Providence College and was commissioned in 1987. He served in a variety of assignments as an Airborne Ranger qualified intelligence officer, DOD civilian and defense contractor.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...