Start by marking “How to Speak Boy” as Want to Read:
How to Speak Boy

How to Speak Boy

Quinn and Grayson have been fierce speech and debate rivals for years. They can't stand one another, either in competition or in real life.

But when their AP Government teacher returns their school assignments to the wrong cubbies, they begin exchanging anonymous notes without knowing who the other is.

Despite their differences, the two come together through their letters
288 pages
Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about How to Speak Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Speak Boy

Start your review of How to Speak Boy
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! Right away I’m hooked on this story when I read on how competitive Quinn is and how her mouth “twisted in distaste” when she hears of her competitor’s name. I’m the same way as Quinn on study and homework. I take a lot of time and it’s definitely unfair when others just seems to study very little but still get A’s. I love books with witty banter characters and this book has it. Grayson seems like a cool guy!

This book is told in the first person point o
julianna ➹
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
don't u think it's pretty god level of me to finish 3 books in 3 days? idk i think it's pretty god level of me

also anonymous romance in ya? :) you know you love it
Elaine
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel. This was a simply delightful YA contemporary romance. I enjoyed the relationship building between Quinn and Grayson. Their dialogue was real and witty. I appreciated that the author kept this book clean from sex and swearing. I will definitely recommend this book to others and can't wait to read more by this author!!!!
Krysti
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely ADORABLE! Full review TK!
Mary H
Nov 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
THIS BOOK SOUNDS SO CUTE I COULD DIE
elisabeth
Dec 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
this book sounds like a blessing to my rivals to lovers shipping heart
diana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, arc
I don't not like it. But to tell you honestly, this wasn't very memorable. The romance was okay. I have a love-hate relationship with Quinn. And Grayson was... well, I was expecting more.

I received an e-arc from the pubisher via Edelweiss+ to read and review.

Jenn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
Quinn has been competing with Grayson in Speech and Debate the entire time they've been in high school. They loathe each other. But this is senior year. Quinn is determined to not only be their team captain, but to also crush Grayson like a bug in their competition. But Quinn gets a bit distracted when she ends up with an anonymous pen pal due to a misfiled test. And she's flunking AP Gov. And one of her best friends just won't take her gentle, but obvious, hints that she's just not into him.

I
Samantha Hastings
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A charming YA rewrite of You’ve Got Mail that had me at Speech and Debate. Quinn is a determined heroine who isn’t perfect, doesn’t know everything, and isn’t a super model. She is refreshingly normal with plenty of spunk. Quinn makes her fair share of mistakes as she navigates her college applications, the state speech tournament, friendship, and her love life. But you can’t help but cheer her on.

This is a witty and wonderful romcom that will appeal to both teens and adults.

And #Netflix ... t
Thamy
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A not so typical story about rivals who fall in love and need to deal with this change.

3.5, but not enough to round up.

Quinn and Grayson compete in the debate club, and Quinn knows Grayson has once made a girl fall for him only to break her heart and win in the school's election, so this won't be a story of hate becoming love. Or will it? While she exchanges messages with an anonymous boy getting the tips she needs to improve in AP Government and in her speeches, her feelings toward
Christine Manzari
This was a quick, cute read that was like a retelling is You’ve Got Mail.
Alexa
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 ...more
Paige
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick, easy read that would be perfect for high school girls. It follows the typical formula of a romance novel. The reader figures out the catch long before the characters do, and the rest of the book is filled with that great frustration of yelling at characters who are so willingly ignoring the obvious.
Meghan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group - Swoon Reads in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Now this is what I call a teen romance novel. How to Speak Boy was brilliantly written in reflecting today's society and how two unlikely people and in this case enemies can forge friendships even they could not expect just from a AP Government class and exchanging notes without even knowing wh
kglibrarian
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable, quick YA read about a budding teenage romance.

Quinn lives alone with her mother, who works as a waitress while building up her photography business on the side. Living in a small town in Idaho, Quinn faces the typical high school drama--social insecurity, academic overload, and relationship woes. She has her two close friends,Naomi and Carter, whom she confides in but recent events have caused some distance between them. Her main focus is the Speech and Debate te
Seanean
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn is competitive. She's not just a little competitive; she is ultra competitive. She will do almost anything to win, except cheat. She's definitely not a cheater.

However, it looks like her biggest competition IS a cheater. Grayson seems to win at everything he does without even trying and rumor has it that he's cheated a few times to do it.

Now Quinn and Grayson have become the co-captains of the speech and debate club so they have to work together. Quinn could finally learn the
Cassie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall an entertaining read, but I wanted to see more first hand letters rather than being told about them after the fact. I grew up in the late 90s-early 2000s when instant messaging was our main mode of communication, so I'm a sucker for written communication in YA books. I want to experience the relationship development with the characters instead of hearing about it after the fact. I kept bouncing all over the place with who was on the other end of Quinn's letters, which was nice. The way d ...more
caitlin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

As soon as I read this premise, I was sold on this book. But through reading, I was slightly - not entirely - disappointed. I think, as a newbie to the debate scene, I could have used more exposition on their club. The romance just didn’t unfurl as much as I dreamed. The book was still satisfying but not as full marks as I had hoped.
Christina Marie Reads
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely adorable! Grayson and Quinn are fierce competitors in all things, especially debate club! Quinn can't stand Grayson but slowly falls in love with him while exchanging anonymous letters with him. Through it all, she learns who her friends truly are.
Alexis
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-be-released, arc
Aww, this book was so freaking adorable!! It was fluffy, fast, and it was exactly the fun type of book I needed right now.

Full review to come!

(Thank you to the publisher, Swoon Reads, for sending an ARC my way!)
Michele
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute contemp YA romance. enjoyed it and would recommend to those who enjoy that kind of thing.
thanks to the publisher for an ARC, this is my honest review.
Micaela Muldoon
Jun 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
This sounds like YA You've Got Mail but with even more heated arguments and opinions and banter and basically I need it.
Kathleen
I throughly enjoyed this book. It was a quick read for me. I loved the characters because they were relatable, fun, and genuine. I found it refreshing that while Quinn was great at debate, she still struggled in other areas of school and wasn't a genius. It made her seem more normal and down to earth. As for Grayson, he is fairly good at most things, but that's due to family pressures and studying from what we can tell since it's told from Quinn's perspective. I wish we got more insight to his l ...more
Crysania Swenson
rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2019
Oct 30, 2019
Nicole
Nov 17, 2019

• Tweet Cute
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Lovely War
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Bookworm Crush
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Husband Material
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Jock Road (Jock Hard, #3)
Tiana Smith is a copywriter turned novelist who grew up in the Rocky Mountains. When she isn’t writing, she’s chasing after her ninja boy, reading, or binging the Disney Channel. She’d love to be fluent in sign language, but for now she gets by with awkward hand gestures and even more awkward French. She has double degrees in Honors and English from Westminster College but wants to go back to scho ...more