Start by marking “How to Speak Boy” as Want to Read:
How to Speak Boy

How to Speak Boy

Quinn and Grayson have been fierce speech and debate rivals for years. They can't stand one another, either in competition or in real life.

But when their AP Government teacher returns their school assignments to the wrong cubbies, they begin exchanging anonymous notes without knowing who the other is.

Despite their differences, the two come together through their letters
288 pages
Published January 7th 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about How to Speak Boy, please sign up.

Start your review of How to Speak Boy
emma
This is a book about high school speech and debate, an activity I participated in when I was sixteen years old and therefore the worst person alive.

In many ways this sentenced me to spend hundreds of pages occasionally considering a time in my life when I was terminally awkward, and for that reason alone it would have been difficult to like.

Allow me to shed some light on the type of memories I mean.

When I was in high school, I competed in exactly two speech and debate tournaments, in spite of
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! Right away I’m hooked on this story when I read on how competitive Quinn is and how her mouth “twisted in distaste” when she hears of her competitor’s name. I’m the same way as Quinn on study and homework. I take a lot of time and it’s definitely unfair when others just seems to study very little but still get A’s. I love books with witty banter characters and this book has it. Grayson seems like a cool guy!

This book is told in the first person point of view follo
Toni
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, 2019
This unexpectedly sweet and delightful teen rom-com introduced me to apparently super competitive world of Speech and Debate Tournaments. I never realised how interesting this extra-curricular activity can be and how much preparation goes into being able to deliver one's arguments smoothly and effectively.
Quinn and Grayson, the protagonists of the book, are both successful debaters and even become co-captains of their school team, so they have to work together to help the others improve their pe
julianna ➹
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
don't u think it's pretty god level of me to finish 3 books in 3 days? idk i think it's pretty god level of me

also anonymous romance in ya? :) you know you love it
Taylor
description

Thank you so much to Swoon Reads for providing an earc of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 out of 5 Stars

"...strange, how easy it was to talk to a perfect stranger. Like, by not knowing who he was, I could tell him anything...Anonymity made me bold."

Set in Boise, Idaho, How To Speak Boy , is a YA romance centered around a pair of feuding speech competitors throughout their senior year of high school.

Seventeen year old Quinn Edwards wants nothing more than to be
Yna the Mood Reader
"But if there was anything I knew about competition, it was that some things were worth fighting for."

How To Speak Boy is an enticing YA contemporary read about rivals-turned-lovers! The trope itself is an exciting one that would raise everyone’s interests. Competing leads with witty banter, mixed in a You’ve Got Mail type of set up. In fact, knowing that this was within students that are members of the speech and debate team reminded of me of Candy Jar, a movie that I watched on Netflix.

I was e
Bethany
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
How to Speak Boy is a fun YA romance that reads like a retelling of You've Got Mail, except involving rivals on a high school speech and debate (forensics) team. Having done speech and debate myself back in the day, I really enjoyed that element of it. Also, it's hard to bomb the You've Got Mail setup with rivals falling for each other, while not realizing they are also writing anonymous letters to each other. It's generally a good time. In this case, I did feel like the later part of the book d ...more
kav (xreadingsolacex)
How to Speak Boy by Tiana Smith is a YA rom-com about Quinn, who is dedicated to winning speech and debate this year, but whose plans just might get a little difficult when her rival Grayson turns out to be a new crush. To make matters even worse, Quinn may also be crushing on her anonymous pen pal in AP Government.

This was such definitely a cute read. I found myself truly shipping the romance between Quinn and Grayson - enemies-to-friends-to-lovers??? the suspense of an anonymous pen pal??? we
Samantha Hastings
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A charming YA rewrite of You’ve Got Mail that had me at Speech and Debate. Quinn is a determined heroine who isn’t perfect, doesn’t know everything, and isn’t a super model. She is refreshingly normal with plenty of spunk. Quinn makes her fair share of mistakes as she navigates her college applications, the state speech tournament, friendship, and her love life. But you can’t help but cheer her on.

This is a witty and wonderful romcom that will appeal to both teens and adults.

And #Netflix ... t
Elaine
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel. This was a simply delightful YA contemporary romance. I enjoyed the relationship building between Quinn and Grayson. Their dialogue was real and witty. I appreciated that the author kept this book clean from sex and swearing. I will definitely recommend this book to others and can't wait to read more by this author!!!!
Jessica | Booked J
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars!) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can also be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

How to Speak Boy was such a wonderfully sweet surprise. The kind of surprise that I didn't know I needed in my reading life. The kind of surprise that will keep you up all night, smiling. The kind of book that sets you down a path of warm and fuzzies. The kind
Kris (frantic4romantic)
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute. Cute. Cute.

Enemies to lovers stories always draw me in. I love the highs and lows of it. I love the uncertainty of it all when both parties realize the new and different feelings they’ve been feeling. It’s a romance trope that just doesn’t disappoint.

Quinn and Grayson are your typical intellectual nemeses. They butt heads and are constantly in competition with one another. What this story did different, is the added factor of mystery that made it so much sweeter.

I did kind of feel like the
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars

This was a lot of fun and Quinn and Grayson has a great and flirty enemies to lovers situation which is always enjoyable. This was such a quick and engaging read - super addicting and pure fun. My main complaint is the big time jumps that happen within the story, it makes it a bit harder to buy some of the development between the characters. And I could have done without Quinn's friend Carter, but other than that this was an enjoyable read that had a quintessential romcom feel.

I receiv
Krysti
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely ADORABLE! Full review TK!
Mary H
Nov 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
THIS BOOK SOUNDS SO CUTE I COULD DIE
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Received an arc from raincoast book. Full review to come but this one was a MESS. Not to mention the synopsis is a huge spoiler.
Sarah Monzon
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A YA adaptation of You’ve Got Mail? What’s not to like!?!!
Nadja
Hmmm I find it quite difficult to rate this. I liked it in the beginning but wished in the end that
a. the whole speech and debate thing would have played a bigger role
b. the story wasn't as similar to our beloved 'You've Got Mail' inspiration (why can't for once the girl find out the secret first?)
c. the whole Carter situation would have been dealt differently! The resulation seemed lazy and an easy cop-out.
Overall yes it's a cute and fluffy young adult contemporary but the heart is missing.
Kelly
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have no words for this book!!!

I got to read this amazing book with my amazing friend (you know who you are) and we could have not fan girled over it enough. Seriously!

This book is about two rivals who end up sharing the position they worked so hard to fight for and end up having feelings for one another. But with the main character Quinn, she has been secretly writing to a person she has never met due to a mix up in assignments. She also starts falling for the person in notes and must soon de
Natq
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
elisabeth
Dec 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
this book sounds like a blessing to my rivals to lovers shipping heart
T.H. Hernandez
Quinn is serious, hardworking, and in desperate need of a little fun, but she’s vying for President of the Speech and Debate Club against her arch nemesis, the utterly swoon-worthy Grayson, so fun isn’t on the agenda. She’s as competitive as she is smart, but unfortunately, nothing comes easy to Quinn. She has to work twice as hard as Grayson to be successful, or so she believes. That makes it hard for her to let her guard down around him. Even though he’s adorably perfect. Quinn’s two closest f ...more
Katherine Paschal
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, contemp-romance
**Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Quinn has goals that she plans to meet this year, starting with being named Team Captain of her debate team. But when she is named co-captain with her arch enemy, it seems like everything starts to unravel. When her History assignment gets returned to the wrong person, she ends up getting into a note exchanging relationship with a stranger that keeps her going. But the question is, does she really want to learn the identity of her mys
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Enemies to Lovers with more in between.   More like enemies to sort of friends, to sort of lovers, back to sort of enemies, then sort of friends, and then lovers.  It took a long time to get there.

This was a super cute book that I think a lot of teens will relate to.  It's so focused on the feelings of falling in love for the first time, along with all the insecurities and worries that go along with it.  I think it's perfect for young teens, but older teens will relate, too.  First love is so di
Christa
Feb 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Janet
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
I should have known to pass on this one based on it’s silly title which does nothing to sell the story. This book promises a love/hate type romance, set against the backdrop of speech and debate. However, it’s super clear really early on that despite the minor setbacks and trappings that occur, the two main characters will wind up together. That’s not spoiling anything, it’s just plain fact.
Carol Riggs
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, romance
It took me awhile to read this, but through no fault of the book. Just a busy schedule. I enjoyed the humor throughout, the characters, and how the plot played out even though I knew what was going on with the letters. I really liked the courthouse scene when they were to meet up in real life. Nice twist at the end, and a sweet (albeit a bit mushy-romantic to me) resolution.
ضحى الحداد
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
I really liked the idea of this book, I was looking for a book with the same idea for a while, really cute :)
So the story follows Quinn who is a competitive debater in her school and her top nemesis is Grayson, One day her teacher accidentally switches her homework with a guy in her class and she doesn't know who he is .. so they switch letters and over time they find friendship with each other .. the thing is Quinn is confused .. who could be the guy ? is it Grayson or her best frien
diana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, arc
I don't not like it. But to tell you honestly, this wasn't very memorable. The romance was okay. I have a love-hate relationship with Quinn. And Grayson was... well, I was expecting more.

I received an e-arc from the pubisher via Edelweiss+ to read and review.

Ana ☾
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english, 2020

This was so cute and wonderful. Haters and rivals-to-lovers who flirt but can't stand each other, with a geek touch on the side? Yes, please!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Meet Me at Midnight
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • Lucky Caller
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • What Are Friends For?
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • Time of Our Lives
Tiana Smith is a copywriter turned novelist who grew up in the Rocky Mountains. When she isn’t writing, she’s chasing after her ninja boy, reading, or binging the Disney Channel. She’d love to be fluent in sign language, but for now she gets by with awkward hand gestures and even more awkward French. She has double degrees in Honors and English from Westminster College but wants to go back to scho ...more