Start by marking “The Butterfly Room” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly Room

The Butterfly Room

Posy Montague is approaching her seventieth birthday. Still living in her beautiful family home, Admiral House, set in the glorious Suffolk countryside where she spent her own idyllic childhood catching butterflies with her beloved father, and raised her own children, Posy knows she must make an agonising decision. Despite the memories the house holds, and the exquisite ga

Published May 2nd 2019 by Pan Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly Room, please sign up.

Start your review of The Butterfly Room
Amanda
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told over 2 timelines, The 1940’s and 2006 both set in Southwold Suffolk.

In 1940 we meet Posy, growing up in Admiral House with her parents. She has a close bond with her father until he is sent to war.

In 2006 Posy is nearly 70 and is still at Admiral House. Is it time for her to sell this beautiful family home. Her 2 children Sam and Nick are like chalk and cheese. Sam is always looking for his next business deal which inevitably fails. Whilst his wife and child struggle to make ends meet.

Nic
Dem
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dull
A multi generational tale that was sweet and romantic and while it wasn’t on the edge of your seat suspense or intrigue it was charming and readable but not one for my favorites shelf.

This was my first Lucinda Riley Novel and the description on the blurb appealed to me. A story set the beautiful Suffolk countryside in England, Posy Montague approaching her seventieth birthday and still living in the family home of Admiral House where history and secrets abound. When a face appears from her past,
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
The Butterfly Room is a sweeping multi-generational saga of long held secrets, devastating despair and second chances. Riley’s writing is rich and engrossing. Her characters are convincing.

I love stories told in dual time lines as the mysteries and secrets of the past unfold and crash into the present day.

Posy is almost 70 and her family estate is becoming too large and costly for her to handle. If she sells she can help her son Sam with his new property
Karren  Sandercock
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley, Blue Box Press and Lucinda Riley for my copy of The Butterfly Room.
Posy Montague is a widow, about to turn 70 and a mother of two grown up sons. She lives in her families crumbling house in Suffolk, she grew up there and it was home to her and two sons. Widowed at a young age, she raised her boys at Admiral House, when they went away to boarding school she kept her self busy gardening and she spent 25 years creating a beautiful garden. It’s a magnificent garden, but a lot of
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

As you know, men generally tend to be much more basic than women; for the most part, less emotionally complex. They call a spade a spade, whereas women are more likely to say it’s a metal digging implement used in the garden.

Evie decided seeing Marie was a bit like eating at McDonald’s; you looked forward to it, but then felt sick halfway through.

It suddenly struck me that I hadn’t really thought the future through; and now here I was in it,

She’s very young for an old person.

… th
Mo
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars

The writing style was fine, it was the storyline that was the problem.

Everyone in this book has secrets. Very minor secrets that get blown way out of proportion to create the drama necessary for the storyline. No one will talk to anyone else to even give them a CHANCE to understand what is going on. (view spoiler)
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Secrets are at the heart of the brand new standalone novel and sprawling family saga from international bestselling author, Lucinda Riley. The Butterfly Room is an impassioned novel, unfolding over multiple timelines, revealing a tale of war, romance, mystery and tragedy.

Admiral House, deep in the Suffolk countryside, is the central setting of Lucinda Riley’s new novel, The Butterfly Room. It follows the life and times of Posy Montague, a woman who grew up i
Lynne
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am so surprised that this book has so many four star reviews. I was expecting so much more.
How many times did we see “dear boy” or “ dear girl”. or even more “darling girl” or “ darling boy”?
There was no real plot or story, just a meandering through years and years of nothing much of any interest happening. Characters were pretty boring too. 628 pages of ho hum! Plus the most predictable ending I’ve come across in a very long time.
Sorry can’t find anything positive to say. It feels like the au
Alayne Emmett
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Lucinda Riley!!! This boo was so very good just as I expected. Although some reviews didn’t rate it, it didn’t put me off I found it sad, and happy all at once.
I’ve enjoyed most of Lucinda’s books and this one was as good as I expected.
Lisa
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-book
This is a sprawling family drama beginning with Posy in 1940's and then herself and her family 60 years later. I loved the build up of the story and meeting everyone - this author is such a great story teller.
My problem with the book lies within the toxic relationships (wth is Amy doing with Sam??) and the secrets that shouldn't have been secrets that drove me mad!!! And then solving problems with champagne and money...erm...no.

However, overall I did enjoy this and it did move me (I mus
HILARY ANDERSON - BELL
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to start by saying thank you to Pan Macmillan for giving me the opportunity to read this book. What to say I absolutely adore Lucinda Riley's books and this one did not disappoint I read it in two sittings I could not put it down. It has everything you need for a lovely Sunday read ,love death mystery and that lovely prose that Ms Riley is so good at. If you read nothing else this year read this lovely book perfect for fans of Rachel Hore and Judith Lennox.
Agnieszka Bania
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
this book is like seating at a table with your dull neighbour who gossips about the other neighbours....nothing of interest actually happens and the characters are so uninspiring. I have loved and re-read every single one of Lucinda's books until now. This book is so bad that I'm shocked it was written by her - there is no excitement, no twists and turns, no interesting story, no complex characters. I really hope it's a one off and not her new style...
Natalie
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it

The Butterfly Room is a story that spans back to the 1930s in Britain and follows the life of Posy whom the story is initially about.

Posy lost the love of her life when she was almost 20 and never knew why he disappeared on her, but a chance encounter brings him back into her life 50 years later and she finally finds out why she lost him.

Alongside the book flicking back to th
Andrea
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I absolutely loved this book. I picked it up and sped through the 624 pages which slipped by effortlessly as I became engrossed in the story of Posy and her family. It was everything that I love in a book ... great plot, characters that you feel you know, mystery and romance. Coupled with the wonderful settings of Southwold and Bodmin Moor, it was simply brilliant. I wish I could award it more than five stars.
Judy
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bravo Lucinda Riley! I loved The Butterfly Room. The plot, the characters, the writing - all came together in a perfect combination. The characters were very realistic and their plights evoked emotion. I loved Posey, Amy, Tammy, Nick, and Freddie and felt I knew them at the end of the book. My heart broke several times in the story, and I loved the way Posey dealt with all the problems she faced. She's a perfect grandmother. I admired Amy's sunniness and optimistic outlook on life. I found Tammy ...more
Leanne Lovegrove
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucinda Riley has delivered another sweeping family saga with this, her latest book. It is ultimately the story of Posey Montague, the matriarch and the lynch-pin of this story. We meet her in the days during World War II and at her home, Admiral House in Suffolk, England. As a young child, she is devoted to her father. But when he dies, her life irretrievably changes. Her mother abandons her to the care of her grandmother and despite the odds, she prospers.

The story is told in dual timelines a
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
A new novel by Lucinda Riley!! I'm excited!

Voluntarystress
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
My Thanks to NetGalley and MacMillan publishers for an ARC of this book in return for an honest review. I was excited to be reading this as I’ve become a great fan of Lucinda Riley. I’m afraid that I was in for a disappointment. I found that it was a slow start with too many disjointed elements and characters, although you trust that they will all come together eventually. It began with a flashback to 1943 in Suffolk where Posy, the main character, is playing with her Spitfire pilot father in th ...more
The Book Review Café
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
At 680 pages, The Butterfly Room by Lucinda Riley might seem daunting but please don’t let that put you off, it’s one of those novels that despite its size, you find yourself so engrossed in Posy’s story that time slips by effortlessly (I literally read this novel in less than twenty-four hours). Lucinda Riley writes in such a way that her books make for such a beautiful and captivating read, the complexity of her characters, her descriptive writing, and her ability to write such breathtaking st ...more
Jess The Bookworm
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

Posy is nearing 70 years old and lives in her old family home, Admiral House in the Suffolk countryside. Her memories of her beloved childhood home centre mostly around her time with her father before he passed away, and how they used to study butterflies together.

The story alternates between Posy in her 70s, and her relationships with her two sons, and extended family, and when Posy was younger, her relationship with her own parents and past lovers. It turns out that everyone has secr
Karen Whittard
This is the first book that I have read by this author. And sadly I didn’t enjoy it. I found the characters to be very shallow and I didn’t really care for the storyline. Really sorry but it wasn’t for me.
Julia
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the whole I enjoyed this book but did feel it was lacking any real sort of story, it just plodded along delving into the past of the family with a few scandals along the way.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Butterfly Room by Lucinda Riley is an historical fiction novel told in dual timelines from multiple character perspectives. It's a multi-generational family saga set in Suffolk and contains several mysteries and a few secrets.

Posy Montague is our main character and we meet her at the age of 70 when she is living in the enormous rundown family estate Admiral House, her adult children having moved away.

One of Posy's sons is an antiques dealer and I really enjoyed the little insight we get into
Liz
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family saga that spans several generations. On the whole I really enjoyed it but on occasion, particularly in the second half of the book, some of the characters behaved in a way that didn’t seem believable. I thought the plot was good though and it held my attention throughout.
Helen White
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Pan Macmillan and Netgalley for offering me an advance copy for review. This is my first standalone Lucinda Riley having read her seven sisters series this is something different.

Starting during WWII Posy adores her father and lives a comfortable sheltered life in a large house in Suffolk. Her  childhood twists and turns as tragedy strikes. Meanwhile in the present day Posy is juggling her large house alone,combined with her two sons who are polar opposites and the sudden reappeara
Carolyn
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Butterfly Room by Lucinda Riley is a beautiful story revolving around Posy Montague's life, loves and her family at her beautiful home, Admiral House in the Suffolk countryside.

Approaching her 70's many happy memories appear for Posy catching butterflies as a child with her father.

Much of Posy's life she has found solace in the gardens of Admiral House.

Secrets to be revealed later in the story.

All families have secrets.

Butterflies should be free ...

Read all about it in The Butterfly Room
Aryani Siti
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Big love for this big book. Really like it!!
Kate.
LOVED THIS BOOK!
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Butterfly Room is a sweeping novel full of interesting (and very different) characters and the grand setting of Admiral House in Suffolk. Two different timeframes are depitced – the 1950s, following Posy as a child growing up in Admiral House with her parents, and the present day, when the crumbling house becomes a financial burden on Posy, now almost 70 years old with her own family (and secrets).

I liked the continuity of having Posy in both storylines, a
Kathy
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic family saga at its absolute best! Set in Southwold Suffolk, we alternate between two timelines featuring Posy when young in the 1940’s and then when nearly 70 in 2006. All the characters of Posy’s family are enthralling and easy follow. The bond Posy has with her father is particularly beautiful. Loved the entire 628 pages and cannot believe I devoured it in only a couple of days – it is just such a lovely read. Another 5 stars for me – and I do not think I have given any of Lucinda’s ...more
Wirral Libraries ...: The Butterfly Room - Lucinda Riley 1 2 Aug 06, 2020 06:03AM
Pick-a-Shelf: The Butterfly Room 38 15 Jun 21, 2020 11:22PM

• The Secret Hours
  • Letters From the Past
  • From Venice with Love
  • Escape to the French Farmhouse
  • Vingar av silver (Fayes hämnd, #2)
  • The House by the Sea
  • Renoveringsobjekten
  • Die Frauen vom Löwenhof - Agnetas Erbe (Löwenhof Saga, #1)
  • The Garden of Lost and Found
  • The Botanist's Daughter
  • Solsken och parmesan
  • Tegen beter weten in
  • Souvenir
  • Those Who Are Loved
  • Greek Island Escape: Paradise is only pages away
AKA: Lucinda Edmonds
Lucinda Riley was born in Ireland, and after an early career as an actress in film, theatre and television, wrote her first book aged twenty-four. Her books have been translated into thirty-seven languages and sold twenty-five million copies worldwide. She is a No.1 Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller.

Lucinda is currently writing The Seven Sisters series, which tells the

News & Interviews

“Remember, my darling, one man’s rubbish might be another man’s gold. But perhaps we are all beachcombers in a way,’ Daddy had said, squinting in the sun. ‘We keep seeking, hoping to find that elusive buried treasure that will enrich our lives, and when we pull up a teapot rather than a gleaming jewel, we must continue to search.’ ‘Are you still searching for treasure, Daddy?’ ‘No, my Princess of the Fairies, I’ve found it,’ he’d smiled down at me and kissed me on the top of my head.” 0 likes
“Maybe it’s because you’ve” 0 likes