Start by marking “Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha) (On Call Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha) (On Call Book 1)

Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha)

(On Call #1)

When Autumn McCoy accepted a temporary work contract in Durango, she thought it would be a safe way to add some spark to her existence. She may be getting more than she bargained for when she finds herself the target of impending danger. The outspoken forty-two-year-old isn’t prepared for that spark to ignite flames threatening to engulf every aspect of her life.

Buried un
Kindle Edition
Published January 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning for Autumn (Police and Fire

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Daylight is not my friend. Every freckle, frown line, wrinkle, and blemish stands out like a beacon on my face, screaming ‘well past expiration date.’

Didn’t think I’d live to see the day… The most committed bachelor of La Plata County, brought to his knees by a ballsy redhead.

“You remind me of my Ana, she was a redhead like you and could cook like a saint, fight like the devil, and love like a sinner.” His watery blue eyes sparkle. Ten minutes later, when I’m putting away the las
Karen Hrdlicka
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love when one of my favorite authors starts a new series. I am so excited to see Freya Barker bring her special brand of writing into Susan Stoker's Police and Fire/Badge of Honor world. Ms. Barker weaves a fiery story of friendship, intrigue, and passion in Burning for Autumn. To be honest, when I've read about Keith Blackfoot in other books by Ms. Barker I thought he left a lot to be desired as a hero. He seemed cocky and arrogant, almost aloof from those around him. I'm so happy Ms. Barker ...more
Pamela
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted an Arc in return for an honest review

I’ve been waiting for Keith Blackfoot’s story for what feels like forever!!
He’s met his match in a little red-headed hurricane.
Autumn has a history, but she is helping burn victims with aftercare.
There’s a rash of fires breaking out all over Durango, and Keith is acting Chief. He’s instantly attracted to Autumn and will not stop until he gets Autumn right where he wants her, Safe and in his arms.

This book was amazing
And I love every single book
*Avonna
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

BURNING FOR AUTUMN (On Call #1) by Freya Barker is the first romantic suspense in a new series in Susan Stoker’s Badge of Honor World focused on Police and Firefighters. I LOVE Freya Barker’s writing and was very excited to see her entering one of my favorite romance worlds. This book is smoking hot and does not disappoint!

Autumn McCoy accepted a one year work contract for a special program in a new burn unit in Durango. She is sad
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
This book was an amazing read for me. I love a good suspense and mystery story. When Autumn McCoy took a temporary job in Durango she thought it would be safe for her but boy oh boy was she wrong. She finds herself the target of a crazy arsonist. Police Chief Keith Blackfoot wants to get back to good old fashion police work. Boy is he in for a surprise when his town becomes a playground for a crazy arsonist. Keith is determined to find out who this arsonist is and why they are burning down build ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Burning for Autumn is a page turner that kept me up into the wee hours finishing it.  Ms. Barker gives us a protective alpha and a fiercely independent, albeit a little too stubborn at times, heroine who set the pages on fire with their chemistry.

Keith and Autumn are thrown together when a series of fires break out in town, their attraction is undeniable from the start. Keith is concerned that the mysterious fires are somehow connected to Autumn and he steps in to protect her, he quickly realize
Jacquie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY FREAKEN MOLY!!!! Okay, okay, okay....DEEP BREATH!!!! If you know me, you KNOW I ADORE everything Freya Barker for sooooooo many reasons! From her clean, crisp, wonderfully expressive words to the (seemingly) effortless flow of her MASTER storytelling abilities. From the completely CAPTIVATING, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat suspense to the unbelievably down-to-earth, REALISTIC characters. This book is no exception and one of my FAVORITE reads from Ms. Barker!

In Burning for Autumn, which is
Britt Franks Red Hatter Book Blog
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY can steal my breath with their writing quite the way Freya Barker does. It doesn’t matter what is going on in my life, good or bad, the second I open a book by her I’m taken away to my happy place. Burning for Autumn took me away in a story filled with suspense, mystery, and a whole lot of love! Autumn and Keith are yet another couple in a long list of “BEST COUPLES EVER” by Freya that I can say I’ll happily go back and read over and over.
Autumn is a fiercely independe
Lisa Cullinan
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2019, re-read
And ... she does it again! Burning for Autumn is another gem from the mistress of romance and suspense, Freya Barker.

Let start by saying that I REALLY love Keith Blackfoot in this story. He’s one hot, sexy alpha cop who definitely meets his match with Autumn, a snarky, sassy researcher from Mercy Hospital’s burn unit, who happens to be new in town as well.

The attitude and banter that plays between Keith and Autumn is quite amusing. She’s fiercely independent, but Blackfoot isn’t dissuaded by h
Island Girl Romance Reads
Freya Barker does it again. Amazing start to a new series.
Love this book and it promises to be an amazing series.
Lots of suspense and with mature Alpha males and I’m sold.
Awesome to read of past characters in her books and also Susan Stoker’s characters. Loved that.
Can’t wait for more of this series and Luna’s book is next, Yay!!
Dana
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah!!!! How can I put into words all the feels I got from reading Autumn and Keith’s book!!!!!

Keith was pure ALPHA-ness!!! Umm that I LOVE!!!!!! Autumn is such a strong woman to have gone through everything she has and to come out of it with such a great personality and humor!!!

I loved Burning for Autumn and can not wait for me!!! But......I need more of them!!!!!
Ashley Sledge( UnderCoversBookBlog)
This was an amazing beginning to what I am sure is going to be an a amazing new series!!!
I love this authors writing style and the fact that most of her characters are already sorta settled into their lives. They aren't in their 20's and i love that! And there is always some sort of excitement with danger in her books! I don't read much suspense but i don't pass up the offer to read Ms. Barker's writing.
I loved Autumn and Keith so much!!! When i "met" Keith in the Rock Point series I thought go
Em__Jay
BURNING FOR AUTUMN is my favourite Freya Barker book to date! Two great protagonists plus a suspenseful plot kept me entertained from start to finish.

Autumn McCoy is a character from Susan Stoker’s Badge of Honor series. I haven’t read any of Stoker’s books so I can’t comment on what Autumn was like in her books but in this one, she is quite the firecracker. I enjoyed her story very much.

I loved Keith. He is confident and comfortable in himself, and once he quickly lay claim to Autumn he had no
Candyce Kirk
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another great book by Freya Barker! To be honest, I don't know the books that she was inspired by for this series, but they sound amazing! I have to start off by saying it took me a bit longer for this story to suck me in than previous books written by this author, but once I was in, there was no going back!

Autumn is starting a new career/job and finding her way around this new town. Keith is an officer and chief (even though he doesn't want to be). They run into each other because of a
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
When I am in the mood for a really great romantic suspense book I know where to go. This is the first book in the On Call Series and it's a winner. As our tale begins we meet Autumn who is working in the burn unit at Mercy Hospital in Durango, Colorado where our story takes place. Ms. Barker's heroes and heroines are always a bit older and it is one of my favorite aspects of her books.
"I'm only forty-two and not quite done kicking a few cans myself", Autumn points out. Keith is the acting Chief
Sandra
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Another fabulous book by Freya Barker! Seriously I’m a broken record, small town setting with hot law enforcement officer and feisty heroine is one my favorite or my actual favorite type of read. I absolutely loved this story about Autumn and Keith. What I really appreciated about them was that they were in their 40s, there really are not a lot of books featuring older characters (that is one of the things I love about Kristen Ashley too!!) so that was a bonus for me.

Autumn is in Durango on a te
Badass Lioness
I enjoyed reading a new series that included characters from a previous series. Autumn is 42, and Keith is 44. She is on a temporary contract from another state and starts to get cryptic, handwritten notes. At first, they seemed harmless, but as fires are being started frequently since she arrived in town, they start to feel ominous.

I liked Autumn or Red as Keith calls her. She is independent and a cat lady. I wish there was more revealed about her own incident, which was mentioned but not elab
Cathy Geha
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Burning for Autumn by Freya Barker
On Call #1

Autumn McCoy has been given the opportunity to set up a burn unit program in Durango and is busy doing what she loves when she meets Keith Blackfoot at a bar recommended to her by a fireman she met at work. They have an interesting interaction and that is pretty much that until they meet again. There is a serial arsonist on the loose in town and Keith is sometimes frustrated that he has to spend so much time with the paperwork of the temporary job he h
Melissa K
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Freya Barker is one of my favorite authors, and never disappoints. Her characters are easy to relate to and represent real life to me.
"Burning for Autumn" is full of suspense, passion, and angst, with endearing and memorable characters. I have not read Susan Stoker's series, but I thoroughly enjoyed Autumn, and was thrilled to see Keith Blackfoot star in this book. Joe Benedetti was a nice surprise - hoping to see him again in this series.
This is a great start to what promises to be another winn
Rosheen
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the start of this new series. Think this may be 4 1/2 star. Really appreciate some of the understated however very good discriptions with minimal words. An example that is not a spoiler but made me snort with laughter and was most fitting to the scene “unhampered by any expertise on the subject.”. Yep said it all. Yes I have pre purchased my own copy. Very happy to get an early peak. Very enjoyable
Wendy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Autumn took a temporary position in Durango at a newly opened burn unit. A few months after her move she meets interim Police Chief Keith Blackfoot. Sparks fly as the 2 banter at a local bar. Unfortunately real sparks fly when a firebug starts burning homes and buildings in Durango. Keith suspects a connection to Autumn but can he find the link before she is hurt?

This was my first Freya Barker book and what a great introduction. I love a good romantic suspense. The author did a great job of bala
Felicia
Billed as Romantic Suspense, Burning for Autumn delivers both and a first-rate whodunit!

A serial arsonist has the town of Durango, Colorado on edge. No one knows when or where he’ll strike next.

Amidst the chaos, clinical researcher Autumn McCoy and Chief of Police Keith Blackfoot have a budding relationship that gets off to a less than stellar beginning.

Thrown together again by mutual friends, they realize they like each other. But their time together always ends with another fire… and the fire
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll admit upfront that I haven’t read a wide range of romantic suspense books that spotlight first responders, but Freya Barker has a real gift for writing them. Last year, she introduced me to interim Chief of Police, Keith Blackfoot, in Cabin 12. So, when I was offered a chance to read his story in Burning for Autumn, I said yes without hesitation. He’s a perfect hero for this novel and I was easily won over by his intelligence, good looks, passion, and sense of humor.

He meets his match in Au
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Autumn has accepted a 1-year contract in Durango, in their burn unit. She's excited to be working with live real patients, rather than all research and stats as she did in her previous job. But she needs to get out and about and make some friends. And it's because of this need that she meets interim Chief Keith Blackfoot. Their first meeting is a little, um, wonky, as their perceptions of each other just might be off. But they strike a chord within each other and find that they can't get the oth
Laundry
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sexy police man? Check. Strong, fiery and fierce heroine? Check. Crazy people, great friends and incredible story line? CHECK. Freya Barker has once again created a world so vivid and so realistic you feel like you're living in Durango too. I adored almost (yes, almost, read the book to find out why ;) ) every single character. And even as Autumn and Keith's HEA was winding down, I was already telling myself "don't worry, this is only book 1, there's more amazingness to come".

Story Line: Autumn
Love N. Books
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pet’s $0.02

A new series by Freya Barker is out and filled with all kinds of hotness and danger.

You may remember Keith Blackfoot from her other series and it was cool that he got his own book. He brings a whole new level of hotness to law enforcement in Durango. He’s dedicated, loyal and totally infatuated with Autumn McCoy. I loved that he was so protective of her, even if she did fight him over it every step of the way.

As for Autumn. The woman needs to lighten up a bit. She likes Keith. A lot.
Teri
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay first a confession. This is my first read by this author. I have seen her books and thought they looked good but I was worried it might be more erotic than I care for. I was wrong. This story is so much more the suspense and intrigue of the serial fire starter and everything surrounding that. I do love these characters and the supporting characters. We are introduced to a slew of characters in this small town which of course means stories are coming or have already been told but they all of ...more
Lynn Newman
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new Freya Barker book is always something to look forward to, and the start of a new series is even better. When the new series brings a deeper look at previous characters then it’s nothing but a win win.
Burning for Autumn is a cross over in the world of Susan Stoker’s Police & Fire Badge of Honor world.
We’ve already met Keith Blackfoot in a previous book, where he was a supporting character, and we meet Autumn McCoy , who has relocated to Durango.
The story runs at the perfect pace, with
Tiffany
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freya never disappoints, this book was so so good!

Wow this book had me feeling so many emotions. The characters were just amazing I completely fell in love with Autumn and Keith.

Autumn has a temporary assignment in Durango and since she has arrived there has been an increase in fires. These fires end up being arson and she is the reason why they are happening. Keith Blackfoot ends up falling for Autumn and is the interim chief of police. His detective skills are on high alert when these arson s
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Looking for a romantic suspense that will keep you turning the pages. Pick up the new read from Freya Barker and join the ride that Autumn McCoy go on. I found humor in this suspense. I found Autumn to be just the ticket. She was more than just heroine in the wrong place or right place. She was a mature one that gave me more to enjoy. Chief on of police got me by his strong protective streak not just for his town but also the feisty redhead that had come to his town. and Chief two sparked and in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Freya Barker loves writing about ordinary people with extraordinary stories.
Driven to make her books about 'real' people; with characters who are perhaps less than perfect, but just as deserving of romance, thrills and chills, and some hot, sizzling sex in their lives.

A recipient of the RomCon “Reader’s Choice” Award for best first book, “Slim To None”, and Finalist for the Kindle Book Award with