Start by marking “Chambers” as Want to Read:
Chambers

Chambers

Escaping abuse at a facility for assisted living, Gordon B. Sutherland, twenty-two, locks himself in a high-rise hotel room with a single-action six shooter. He sets it on a wide desk, next to a telephone, six phone numbers on a scrap piece of paper, and a single round of ammunition.

Six numbers.

Six chambers.

Just one bullet.

Putting his faith in a higher power and a desperat
Published December 10th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Chambers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chambers

Start your review of Chambers
Linda Strong
Just 22 years of age, Gordon has been living at a facility for assisted living. He has been there for 11 years because his mother cannot care for him,

At this facility,he's been tortured and taunted, bullied, even locked in a closet and set on fire.

He's had enough!

Checking himself into a hotel he takes with him very little .... a list of 6 names and numbers... a gun ..and one bullet.

Each of those names are someone he needs to say goodbye to ... his mother, his doctor, an enemy, his employer and h
Janice Richardson
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Gripping. Intense.
Jessica Belmont
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a very short amount of time, I was completely invested in Gordon and his story. I’m not always emotional when reading, but this story had me tearing up a bit.

With themes of compassion, sadness, and forgiveness, Brent Jones has crafted yet another amazing short story. I was blown away by the ending and I’m still trying to process.

A very quick read, but very powerful. I highly recommend it.
Keli
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorites!

Brent Jones has helped me remember why I enjoy short stories. Chambers is really short, but very powerful. Mr. Jones says so much in this story from the start and takes no more time than needed to get to the end. Great job!
Kay Smillie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading my second short piece of work by Brent Jones. Although 'enjoyed' might not be the correct word to use.

There's a kind of weary resignation at the beginning of this tale as you realise that if it all pans out the way Gordon wants it to, then it isn't going to end well. As you move along with the story, the reader learns more about Gordon and why he has a list of six phone numbers, is in a lonely hotel room, and has put his life in the hands of God and a gun loaded with one
Dana
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a lot of emotion and suspense packed into this one. Quite a bit of story in this short book.
Very easy to feel compassion for Gordon - the main character. A gentle soul who suffered so much...and decided he just couldn't take it anymore.

The ending took me by surprise. Out of anything I could have imagined, what actually did happen was shocking.

Chambers is a quick read that will grip you from the first sentence. It's thought provoking and intense...and I think it requires genuine talent to
Brent Jones
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Fleeing abuse at the hands of his caregivers, a young man chooses to end his life and go home to God. Can faith alone save him?
Andréa Jones
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great writing. Interesting characters. Loved the dialogue. The haunting plot left me thinking for days.
Christina
Mar 25, 2019
Laurie
is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2020
From bad checks to bathroom graffiti, Brent Jones has always been drawn to writing. He won a national creative writing competition at the age of fourteen, although he can’t recall what the story was about.

Jones writes from his home in Fort Erie, Canada. He’s happily married, a bearded cyclist, a mediocre guitarist, and the proud owner of two dogs with a God complex. Subscribe to his newsletter (Au

News & Interviews