Start by marking “Pysanky Promise: A Children's picture book about pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs) (Cathy Witbeck)” as Want to Read:

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  4 ratings  ·  2 reviews
When a young girl learns that her grandmother's hands have grown too shaky to make pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs), she learns the art herself, hoping to heal her grandmother's heart. The book explains the method for making pysanky, as well as a bit about the history, symbolism, and tradition behind the craft.
Published November 15th 2018 by Calico Barn Books

To ask other readers questions about Pysanky Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pysanky Promise

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Stanley McShane
Aww, such a beautiful little book, geared for the Easter child in all of us sure to span all ages and cultures alike. This little book takes the art of creating Ukrainian Easter eggs and weaves it seamlessly into family tradition, history, and the construction process (and the process does take time).

"The world pysanky is related to the word 'pysaty', which means 'to write.' Pysanky are egg with a message written on them...People have been making pysanky for many years. Before Christianity, peop
Michelle Stimpson
I read this beautiful picture book to my children and they loved it. The perfect blend of narrative and informational text, we loved learning about the history, art, and tradition of pysanky. My favorite part of this book are the borders of each illustrated page, which are of traditional pysanky patterns. The symbolism is explained in the back. This book would be a great holiday gift and one I plan to share again with my kids at Easter time.
Ryan West