Start by marking “A Soldier's Wish (The Christmas Angel, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Soldier's Wish (The Christmas Angel, #5)

A Soldier's Wish

(The Christmas Angel #5)

The Christmas Angel Book Five.

The year is 1969...

Gary Fairchild is proud to be a hippie college student, and he protests the Vietnam War because he believes in love and peace. To him, it isn't just a counterculture movement--it's a way of life. When tickets to the Aquarium Exposition--3 Days of Peace & Music, or Woodstock, as it was better known, go on sale, there'
Published December 2nd 2018 by BlueHeart Press

To ask other readers questions about A Soldier's Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldier's Wish

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Told in three distinct sections from a dual first-person POV, A Soldier’s Wish spans almost eight years and takes us from Woodstock to Vietnam to San Francisco. The mood of the story shifts from joyous exploration to fear and longing to quiet contentment.

Heavy on the hurt/comfort, this book is angsty but not so angsty that it leaves you feeling hopeless. The ending is a HEA, or as much of a HEA as two men in love could have in 1977.

I very much enjoyed this love story between a farm boy turned reluctant soldi
Meags
4 Stars

To end a year of impressive releases, N.R. Walker wrapped 2018 up with this heartfelt and affecting hurt-comfort romance.

In a time (not that long ago) when loving someone of your own gender was still considered a crime, this story follows the blossoming romance between hippy student Gary and repressed war-bound soldier Richard, and is a story full tenderness, resilience, and abounding love.

Gary and Richard’s story, which spans years and crosses countries, is undoubtedly angst-filled
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars - Team review with Chelsea!

I’m a huge fan of NR Walker, but this wasn’t my favorite. Don’t fret though, this was still extremely well written and of course, very romantic and smexy!

Though I’ve become a bigger fan of historicals this year, apparently I’m fickle and the time period just didn’t capture me as much. Throw in the horrors of war, terribly awful bigoted parents, and the enjoyment factor for me was decreased.

Unlike Christmas Angel and Summerfield’s Angel, the magical whimsy of said angel has diminished s
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
A Soldier's Wish is the fourth story that I have read in the Christmas Angel series, and it is my favorite. Both poignant and hopeful, it is a tale about love doing what love is supposed to do - inspiring, comforting, and persisting, bringing light into the dark.
.Lili.
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mm-holidays

I have never read a romance that takes place during the Woodstock and the Vietnam War. I requested A Soldier's Wish because of it but was also afraid it could be the reason I wouldn't enjoy it. It is considered Historical Romance and historical and I don't always mesh. Luckily, it was a good call to take the chance.

Highlights:

-Feels. I felt everything during the story: joy, fear, sadness, longing, anger. NR Walker did a fantastic job bringing forth all these different emotions.

-I also liked how the book was broken down. There
haletostilinski
N.R. Walker is one of the only author's that can take a story that includes one of the MC's going to war, to Vietnam, and still managing to make the story fluffy. There was angst, to be sure, but the fluff - especially at the end - took away any sadness from angst.

I tagged this as historical because it starts the day before Woodstock in 1969, and a few days before Richard goes off to the war in Vietnam. He's in a diner, sadness rolling off him, when Gary Fairchild sees him from across the diner
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

How in the hell do I review this? Maybe it's because I'm partial to the setting (supposedly I was AT Woodstock seeing as my mom was pregnant with me at the time) or maybe it was the constant message of unconditional love from friends, some family, and the MCs...or maybe it was the honest and vivid depiction of wartime during the Vietnam era...I can't tell you. Well, other than it was an exquisitely written, well-researched, heartbreaking, hopeful story. Because it was defini
Catherine
I should know by now not to start an NR Walker book before bed. There is no "one more page" or "one more chapter" with Walker's books and me - it's "whelp, I'm going to be tired and bitchy tomorrow at work because there is no way I'm putting this down until I finish it."

But I didn't listen to my better judgment.

I started the book and stayed up far too late and shed more than a few tears and woke up with the worst book hangover. I was tired and bitchy and had a headache all day (thank goodness
Cadiva
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told in three distinct parts, N.R. Walker's entry in the Christmas Angels series brings the story firmly into the remembered memories of Woodstock, the Vietnam War and a time before the rights of gay men were recognised the same as everyone else.

We're in the heart of the New Age movement at the music festival which saw more than 400,000 people come together to celebrate peace.

Here is where Gary, a hippie on his way to the festival, first encounters soldier Richard. This section of t
Denise H.
Gary and Richard make a wish on their Angel ornament !

N.R. Walker holds your heart and doesn’t let go. Richard is going to Vietnam, away from his uncaring folks, and finds a free spirit on the trip. College student, Gary sees Richard at a diner and sits down to talk with the sad man. Gary and a few friends are going to Woodstock,

and Richard ends up with them. Richard and Gary form a friendship in those two days, before he goes to war.

They write and that is how we learn more about them, and I told
Chris
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Sweet... but just a little too fluffy for me.
Eli Easton
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a typical holiday read, having more angst than usual. But that made it more meaningful to me. I loved this story of the gentle soldier who went to Vietnam to escape his oppressive parents and found love and his place in the world after coming home.
Lelyana
A Soldier's Wish has easily become my favorite holiday story. This book is part of Christmas Angel series from various favorite authors of mine. Go check the whole books!
The year of 1969 was a traumatic year for most American boys, Vietnam war had started and it was so sad that Richard, barely a man had to go there just to prove to his father that he's a man, not a sissy boy. Then Woodstock happened after he agreed to a stranger's invitation to go there. The stranger, Gary, had become a ce
Bookreader87(Amanda)

A chance meeting with Gary Fairchild in a diner that changed the life of Richard Ronsman forever.

Overall a great story about the power and strength of unconditional love.
Grace
As expected, this book was really lovely!

I honestly put off reading a bit, as it seemed like it might be a bit heavy, but of course, I had nothing to fear in Walker's capable hands!

The pacing was really great here, and I loved the way this author managed to capture a really fraught time in USA history in a way that felt true to events without loading us down with angst. I also thought the author did a really great job with the setting and really making it *feel* like we w
CrabbyPatty
Just a beautifully conceived story of two men who meet in a diner in upstate New York in 1969 - Richard is heading off to Vietnam and Gary and his friends are going to Woodstock. Richard uncharacteristically goes along to Woodstock and it changes his life. For the first time he learns that being gay is not a deviance or a sin and he and Gary part, planning to write during Richard's tour in Vietnam.

The story continues through a series of letters and onto a life together in San Francisco and beyo
Alisa
Boring.

So, so boring.

So boring the last half was painful to read. It started interestingly enough & I enjoyed their time together at Woodstock. After that though it just drug. It was way too long & was filled with countless details I didn't give one fig about. And the crying. So much crying. So many "I love yous"....followed by crying. *my eyes are sore from all the rolling*

I was especially annoyed with the fact the the angel didn't make an appearance until 70%
Shannon
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't stop crying. It's not even that this story is terribly sad to cause this reaction. It's just so poignant and moving, I'm seriously sitting here a teary, ugly snotty mess. I need a hug.

*I was laying in bed last night, thinking about this book and crying some more. I think what really got to me with this story was how real these characters were-Gary and Richard could have been any 2 young men who grew up during the Vietnam era. They could
Joyfully Jay
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I was really excited to check out this story as I find this period in U.S. history to be just fascinating and it is so rare to see any kind of romance set during this time. I particularly liked the juxtaposition Walker creates between Gary, who is part of the hippie counter culture, and Richard, who has enlisted in the military. There is something so interesting to me about Woodstock and the vibe that surrounded it, and I think Walker does a really nice job capturi
Dumbledore11214
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
Relly
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best of the series

4.5 ⭐

This one has finally knocked off the first book as the best of the series. What works in both books is that the author took the time for the characters to really get to know each other. Funny because at the start when the boys were meeting each other I wondered if I would finish it, but I shouldn’t have worried.
In this one Richard and Gary meet and attend Woodstock together. But Richard who has already committed to the army leaves from there to go to Vietnam. The
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
A Soldiers Wish was downright heart thumping for me. This book went to Woodstock to Vietnam to San Francisco and so on. Every turn was beautifully written and heartfelt. I really liked to two main characters. The way Walker chose to present this story allowed to slowly get to know them. It takes place during my least favorite era to read about and I couldn’t miss a word. N.R. Walker was focused and firing on all cylinders with this one.
The Angel was used very well. The holiday spirit was there
BR11
I enjoyed this book. it’s part of a Christmas series by different authors.
Gary and Richard couldn’t be any sweeter if they tried. Their love was everything true love is supposed to be: patient, kind and loyal.
Free with Kindle Unlimited
Eleeze
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.35*

This was so sweet and perfect! There was angst, fluff, friendship, magic and of course true love. I enjoyed every word!
Jules Lovestoread
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This was a sweet, emotional read. I loved the characters, and it definitely tugged my heart in places - but, there was some little spark of something missing for me. Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

**3.5 stars**

I found this story even more painfully nostalgic than the previous story, Christmas Homecoming, which took place in the post World War II era. I am a similar age to the MCs and the era in which the story takes place was very painful as I, and many others I knew, lost family and school friends in the Vietnam War. So I fell in love with Richard, the young solider, immed
Kazza
Nov 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All I can think of right now is Country Joe McDonald singing

And it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for?
Don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam
And it's five, six, seven, open up the pearly gates
Ain't no time to wonder why, whoopee we're all gonna die...

Not to mention, later on, Redgum's homage to Vietnam

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M.16?
And what's/>
And/>And
Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful love story. A chance meeting turns into love. Lots of hurt and comfort, but a lot of hope too. I love this author and I usually enjoy all of their books so this was just another solid good story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Shrewd Angel
  • Better Not Pout
  • Gaudete
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Passing Through
  • Point of Contact
  • Beneath the Stain - Part Three
  • Something to Believe In
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but like

The Christmas Angel (7 books)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)
  • Shrewd Angel