Start by marking “Promise to Shield (Personal Protectors #2)” as Want to Read:
Promise to Shield (Personal Protectors #2)

Promise to Shield

(Personal Protectors #2)

Brice ~
Life hasn’t always been easy for Brice. With his own mother abandoning him when he was a teenager, and his father having a dangerous job, life has been lonely. That is, until his father decides he needs a bodyguard he doesn’t want. So why does he find himself noticing how attractive the broody bodyguard is? And why does he want him to stay, after all?

Carter ~
Stay
Published November 25th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Promise to Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise to Shield

CaRo
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Similiar to the first book BUT not too similiar that you have problems to enjoy it.

Just one thing that was a little bummer from the moment Elliot mentioned the older dude he hooked up I knew who it was but that doesn’t diminish my excitement for the next book!!
Truuss
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, m-m
Brice and Carter
Amazingly written story. Even as being a width story this one felt intimate, the focus constantly returning to what makes this book awesome: Brice and Carter

Brice is lonely, he has no one. Well he has a father who he sees rarely, maybe ones in a year.
This same father give him a bodyguard... Carter.
Carter doesn’t talk he grumbles and orders around. This gives Brice a good reason to be the biggest brat ever.
When Carter’s last is hunting them it’s getting ugly.

Really a great read. C
Aղցela W.
This was book 2 in the "Personal Protectors" series. I loved this book. Brice Armstrong is the son of Larry the undercover FBI agent from the first book his mother left him and his father works a lot when his father gets him a bodyguard they don't hit it off. Carter has been running a lot never staying in one place for too long so when Larry offers him a job he takes it. Brice and Carter don't get along Carter finds him annoying but he knows that Brice is lonely and he sees that his father is ...more
Claudia
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved it
Becca
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am LOVING this series. And after the rough start in book one with Carter, I was ready to see him get settled. I knew there was a story behind this man. Hell, anyone in the military has a story but I knew there was more. AND from the awkwardness of some others in this story, I have a feeling I know where book three is heading. And knowing Brice's and Elliot's penchant for snark, yeah, this is going to be fun lol.
I felt bad for Carter in book one. Even though he never said much, other than grunt
Viki Evans
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but it needs a good editor
Amy Dufera
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for a while to read Promise To Shield, the second book in Brittany Cournoyer's Personal Protectors series.

Brice's father, Larry, is an absentee dad, always working and emotionally distant. Thus, Brice is pretty much alone in the world. But then Larry hires Carter to protect Brice, setting off a series of events that include some danger, some steamy moments, and falling in love.

I love the evolution of these complex characters in this story. Initially, Carter sees Brice as a you
Gabriella
While I rounded up the rating for the first book, I can't do so for Promise to Shield.

I liked the premise and the writing, although this series is in desperate need of an editor or just someone to check for spelling mistakes, double words and false names.

These "mistakes" and also Carter's behavior didn't make this book as enjoyable as I hoped. Carter was just too domineering and growly for most of the book.
And don't get me started on the sex scenes....meh.

All in all Promise to Shield had some
Jennie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carter becomes Brice's bodyguard/babysitter because of Brice's fathers job. They get along ok but irritate the bejezzus out of each other. Then Carter's past comes back to haunt him... Someone is after him and Carter might be in the firing line.
There was plenty of action in this story. Despite a few editing issues, I found it to be a good solid 4 stars.
Natalie
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
While it was readable overall, I found this disappointing. I think the trope was supposed to be enemies to lovers but it did not suit me. Some books can carry the reader past any less than believable elements but this didn’t meet that challenge for me.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Yes Lordy Lordy I was hoping this second book in the series was about Carter because I fell in love with him in the first book. He was surly and always grunting and I knew there was something there about him that was going to come out and I am so glad that this is his story.

Brice oh Brice he has a hard life with no mother and barley a father. His father has a job that takes him away for months at a time and he is always alone but his father wants his son to be protected when some threats arise
Kendra T
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-review, mm
I was really glad to see Carter as we start the book. I liked him from the last book. He was really mysterious, but also seemed like a great guy. We find out that Larry hired Carter as a bodyguard for his son, Brice. This book takes place about a year later. Carter is still his prickly, closed off self, and Brice is annoyed with having someone around. There wasn't much indication (well to me anyway) that there was any sexual tension between them over the past year, but it seemed that all of a su ...more
Beth
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story but too drawn out, needs better editing

I was looking forward to Carter’s story as I really liked him in book one of this series. The plotline is also a bit far-fetched. Larry feels his 24 year old son Brice needs a body guard, absent any actual threat or incident? And said body guard, Carter, drives him to and from work every day but just sits in the parking lot all day? How is that body guarding? What prevents something from happening to him while he’s inside his office where Carter
Booklover82
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is Carter and Brice's story. I like this book and did enjoy the snark between them. Story felt like it just missing something to me. But would I recommend it? Yes. Will I read more in the series? Yes. I am excited to see how the next story pans out. Thanks for the arc.
Pat Nelson
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take one grouchy, grumbling bodyguard, and one snarky bratty client, throw in absentee fathers, determined enemies, danger, fast paced action, explosive chemistry once the walls come down, and more twists and turns than a roller coaster. Blend well to get this fantastic, poignant, engaging, awesome, and wild thriller that had me hooked from beginning to end.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.2 Stars. Needs a good proofreader and some beta readers. Why does Brice even need a body guard? Could his father be more of a dick? What happened to Carter’s scars? How could Brice go from having zero friends to having some friends that he hangs out with sometimes to having Elliot as his best friend. The characters were not well developed and not terribly likable. The story was unbelievable and lacked continuity. Overall rather disappointing.
Megan
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A father's love puts Brice and Carter in close proximity to one another and while Carter was willing to do the job, it doesn't keep their personalities from clashing, often. Attraction is buried deep under their animosity, but when an enemy from Carter's past puts them in danger the situation changes and their feelings change along with it, deepening to something irreplaceable. If they can shield one another from the dangers and survive, they might get the chance to let down all their walls and ...more
Kimi
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Promise to Shield is the second book in the Personal Protectors series by Brittany Cournoyer. It is not necessary to read the first book in this series (Vow of Protection) to enjoy reading Promise to Shield but reading it will help you to fully understand the series as whole though. Brittany Cournoyer’s books are always fun and quick reads for me.
The main characters in this book are Carter and Brice. Carter was first introduced in Vow of Protection, he helped Beckett to protect Walker. In the f
Deirdre
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book of Brittney Cournoyer's Personal Protectors series features the friend and comrade-in-arms Carter who'd assistant Beckett with not just guarding, but actually protecting his charge in the First book. Carter initially showed a lot more character development in Vow of Protection, the First series book. At first he seemed one-dimensional though humorous, but as the story progressed more of his personality was revealed. This also occurred in the Second book.

Being assigned a very cha
Xanthe
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic follow up to Vow of Protection! We are following Carter who helped out in book one as he is hired as personal protection for Brice. Brice's father works for the FBI and is currently undercover and his fears for his son lead to him to ask for Carter's help. After spending a year with the young man, neither has much fondness for the other until tensions build enough between the two to come to blows. What follows for both is attraction, denial and a yearning for the other that is very h ...more
Cathy Brockman
Audio Book review

This is my first book by Brittany Cournoyer but won't be my last(really want to read the first book in this series) This is the second book in this series but it does work okay out of order. I followed quite well however I would have liked to have known a bit more about Carter and why he was guarding Brice, and Larry Brice's dad. All that was probably covered in the first book and didn't really take away from this.
Carter has been living with Brice as his built-in bodyguard for a
Modwena
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book 2 of the Personal Protectors series and while it can be read as a standalone I would definitely recommend reading book 1 first. At the end of book one Carter gets a new job protecting the son of Larry, the undercover FBI agent. The trouble is that Larry's son, Bryce is an adult and does not want a babysitter. Carter still communicates in grunts and Bryce takes great entertainment in trying to wind him up. One evening passions boil over and they sleep together, strictly a one time th ...more
Alex
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carter is hired to guard Brice from possible retaliation from enemies of his father. Brice wants to be in contact with his father. Not have a bodyguard as a intermediary.

Their story starts with both of them being frustrated by where they are in life. Toss in the fact that Brice doesn’t want Carter around him and things are far from ideal. I like the fact that both of them have no problem with saying exactly what’s on their mind. This also crosses over to the attraction between them.

I’m also gl
Sheridan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I fell in love with Carter in Vow of Protection, so I was happy to finally have this book!
After all the drama ending with Beckett and Walker, Carter is now on a job protecting Larry’s son Brice.
While they are both snarky to each other, you can see the chemistry between them waiting to burst!
And when they get together it’s quick, hard and hot!!!

But when Carter’s past comes back, he needs to protect the one he’s fallen for!

I love the show of family in this book as once again Beckett and Rusty are
R
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carter is hiding from his past when he is tasked with watching over his friends son Brice. He isn’t really happy with the situation but eventually comes to care for Brice. After Brice accepts the fact that he has the grumpy, sexy man as a bodyguard he starts to warm up to him. When Brice is taken as as a way to get to Carter, both men have to be strong to survive a crazy man and his twisted revenge.

Even though I liked Carter from the previous book it took a while to really warm up to his story.
Dixiecowgirl
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Passion, intrigue, betrayal, trust and love are key elements of this awesome story. i was captivated with the plot and i so enjoyed the character development of the MC's. This was an intense and complicated story that i thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Carter and Brice are complex and interesting characters that have such chemistry and connection that you can feel it. i really enjoyed seeing characters from book one become part of the this story.

This book could be read as a stand-alone, however I wo
Jennifer Reilley
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all I am really enjoying this series.

Carter is hired to protect Brice from his father’s enemies. They surely have a love hate relationship and Brice sure has a sassy mouth in him and Carter is very growly. LOL

Their chemistry together is great. My heart has really gone out to Brice as he is essentially alone in life with his absentee dad. Carter has his friends as his family. It’s great to see Beckett and the gang being ones family.

This book kept me on the edge and some surprises I didn
Heather Rawlins
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked Promise to Shield, what a great second book of the Personal Protector series. I liked that Walker and Beckett from the first book were included in this story. I thought Brice and Carter’s story was sweet and snarky and definitely hot. I like a fast-paced story when there’s some guns, violence and anxiety, it goes well together. I like that it was a bit gritty and not easy, even though the romance ends well. I can’t wait for the next book in the series and I also hope to read a lot ...more
T
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Promise To Shield is a great example of the bodyguard falling for his client trope done right! I was able to read the first book in the series so I was familiar with Carter who is tasked with protecting his friend's son, Brice. The two men start off fussing and tossing snark but the tension just builds until their chemistry and attraction leads them to admit their feelings. The story was well written and the plot entertaining! Passionate, steamy, suspenseful and some heartfelt moments made this ...more
Terri
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brice and Carter were an interesting couple. In the beginning, when Carter would barely speak to Brice, I had a hard time liking him. Maybe it would have been easier if I'd read book one first. Regardless, I did enjoy both men as their relationship progressed. Brice was really easy to love. I also liked the secondary characters, especially Elliot. I can't wait to read more about him!
This book had nice sexy scenes, great action, well-placed humor, and bad guys who were easy to hate. I liked it a

• Home in Austin (Lone Star Brothers #4)
  • Reinventing Us (The Rock Gods #9)
  • No Limits (No Shame, #2)
  • Breaking In (Rainier Family #2)
  • Five Gold Rings
  • Join the Club (Four Kings Security, #3)
  • Campy (Ballsy Boys #4)
  • Worth the Fight (Giving Consent #3)
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 2
  • Ball Drop (Welcome to Morningwood Omegaverse, #2)
  • Next to Nothing (The Chosen One #3)
  • Theo's Game (Dark Reserves #1)
  • Falling Together (The Omega Haven, #1)
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It (Valentine's Inc. #1)
  • Clutch (Forbidden Desires #1)
  • The Cub Club

Personal Protectors (3 books)
  • Vow of Protection (Personal Protectors #1)
  • Oath of Valor (Personal Protectors #3)