Start by marking “Wager for a Wife” as Want to Read:
Wager for a Wife

Wager for a Wife

William Barlow's life has been forever altered: his estranged father is dead, and William has inherited the title of Viscount Farleigh. Along with the title comes a neglected estate, an enormous amount of gambling debt, and one astounding acquisition that will turn William's world upside down . . .

It is her first London Season, and Lady Louisa Hargreaves could not be more
Published December 1st 2018 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Wager for a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wager for a Wife

Start your review of Wager for a Wife
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chaste, unfinished
I almost made it all the way through this. I fought my way through a lot of nonsense because the characters were interesting. She's a chatterbox from a loving family facing up to a hard choice and he's a taciturn victim of abuse with his feelings on deep lockdown and I kind of liked their interactions as she tried to get to know him and he tried to do the right thing for the people who depended on him in the only way he knew how.

To get as far as I did, however, I had to ignore:
- the plot based o
Melissa Tagg
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so fun that I immediately went back to Amazon and searched for more books by Karen Tuft. (And side note: that search led me to two other new-to-me authors whose books I've devoured in the past couple of weeks. So an extra YAY for that!) The humor was witty, the romance was great, and the author delivered on the premise. All around, a super delightful read!
Melissa
I had so much fun reading this book. It was just what I wanted! A silent, broken leading man just doing his best and an open honest fun leading lady. Both doing what has to been done in their time. Tuft is very good at writing deep characters. I felt like I could have had a little more from them both but was very satisfied. The ending was just what I wanted and needed from the whole story. It felt like it came full circle to me. I just love a good chaste regency romance and this did not disappoi ...more
Kathy
I just typed up this nice long review, hit save and it all disappeared! Ugh, sometimes I hate technology. I'll have to come back later and try and rewrite it. For now, I liked this one. It has a fun spin on the marriage of convenience trope and our Hero and Heroine are both likable characters. I liked that they were opposites in a lot of way, but have a strong connection that makes for a fun story.

Content: Clean romance, no language or violence
Mara
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is kind of an arranged marriage story, but not in the traditional sense. William, the new Viscount Farleigh, and Lady Louisa Hargreaves upbringings couldn't have been more different. William is an only child whose father wasn't ever faithful to his wife, gambled away the family's money, and upon his death, left the family property almost in ruin and the estate in debt. William loved his mother, but never felt love from his father and hadn't been home since his mother's death when he was 16. ...more
Julie Carpenter
4.5*

Marriage of convenience stories are a favorite of mine. Honestly, anything with a happily ever after and characters that have growth, are good and honorable (even if they don't start out completely that way) will always draw me in. This one was no exception for drawing me and holding my attention throughout the book.

Louisa has grown up in a home filled with love. Her brothers might be a little annoying and tease her a lot but she knows it's because of their love and affection for her, and sh
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some wagers are worth the risk. William Barlow life has been devastated by his father's gambling. He was raised to understand the risk and how to successfully wager. In order to save his friends and family, he takes the biggest gamble by demanding that the Hargreaves family honor a wager made years ago. He asks them to them to give them their daughter in marriage.

I loved the characters in this book. (The ones living.) The family camaraderie with the Hargreaves was delightful. William was not rai
Kelly
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance, 2018
Ok. I liked William or the new Viscount Farleigh from the beginning. He would use the wager’s vowel and repair his home and somehow fix the debts and the lives of the people he knew growing up when he finds out the debt his deceased father left to him. For he loves them, and the servants have loved William too! I’m not going to describe the wager here. You can read that. I just want you to know the main characters just make up the book. They are both very honorable and good people and want love ...more
Katie W
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful story! Louisa is in her debut season in London and has a pending offer of marriage, but her dreams come crashing down around her when a vowel is produced by a man and her father honors it.

Louisa is charming and only wants to marry for love and to be accepted and loved for who she is and not for the title or wealth she holds. I enjoyed watching her develop and grow into the role she must play, as she comes to know and accept the man she'll marry, and become the woman sh
Amy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Masterfully put together and fresh new plot for the regency fans. Karen Tuft has again written a beautiful story, one in which was hard to put down today.

While Williams reasons for keeping to the vowel, put in place by his father and Louisa’s Grandfather may seem cold and unfeeling to Louisa - his heart is good and true. It was always going to rage an inner battle. Push for the vowel to be honored or see his newly inherited estate go to waste. Louisa is surprisingly ‘together’ for
Tiffany
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency, romance
Very enjoyable regency romance!
Alisha
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I was able to read this thanks to NetGalley and Covenant Communications.
The characters in this book were nice, and I would enjoy reading something else from the pen of this author to see what she could do with a more realistic plot. Unfortunately, I found the plot of "Wager for a Wife" to be so contrived as to be insupportable. It's not just that the grandfather made a ridiculous bet that could maybe, barely, conceivably be stretched to apply to future generations, it's that all the members of t
Megan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley and Covenant Communications for providing me a digital review copy.

Despite my low rating this is not a horrible book. The characters are interesting, and the actual writing style (such as grammar and sentence structure) was smooth enough to keep me reading to the end despite its flaws. Now, as to those flaws…
While I am quite forgiving when it comes to the unlikely plots of historical romances, the core premise of ‘Wager for a Wife’ was so far-fetched as to strain even my n
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I have to say first that I loved William from the very beginning. His sense of loyalty, his determination, and his vulnerability all combine to make him so endearing as a character. I love when books give me a very clear feeling of who the characters are right from the beginning. It makes it so easy to attach myself to their story, their heartache and their hope.

This is a sweet regency romance. It felt all things gentle and proper while reading it. The author did a great job of creating great vi
Lisa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought the name Louisa Hargreaves sounded familiar, and then once I began reading and saw that her brothers were Anthony and Alex, it all came together for me ... that sneaky Karen Tuft wrote a prequel without calling it a prequel! I found it to be quite a delightful surprise. Louisa was endearing and funny with her babbling and honesty, and watching her crack the shell of William’s self-imposed stoicism was great. As many times as I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed The Earl’s Betrothal, I am a ...more
Julie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to the new regency romance, Wager for a Wife, by Karen Tuft. I really enjoyed the connection that this book has to her last one, The Earl's Betrothal. Very clever!

This book starts out with a lot of point of view changes and that threw me at first as I tried to get to know the characters. Once I got a little further in and felt more grounded, though, I was able to really enjoy the story.

William, the new Viscount Farleigh, has returned home to clean up the mess the pre
Cathy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wager for a Wife took me just a bit to get into. It starts a bit differently than a lot of Regency Romance books do. But when I did get into it, I loved the whole thing!

This book follows the love story of William and Louisa. I loved both of these characters. Something that’s kind of interesting about the two of them, is that they are completely opposite personalities. I loved that!

Louisa is a young lady, literally Lady Louisa. She’s enjoying all of the romance of her first London season. It ev
Lucinda
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story about kindness and respect.

Louisa is almost engaged to marry an earl when another man shows up with a legal claim to her hand.
After the death of his father, William is trying to do what is right for the servants he considers friends and family. Low on funds, and in order to save the family house and the servants' livelihood, he decides to collect on an old wager between his father and Louisa's grandfather.

It's not a good start to their relationship, especially for Louisa who feel
Christina
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet and tender romance, one that kept my attention as I wanted so desperately to see two wonderful protagonists find a happily ever after.

Louisa comes from a very wealthy family, with a high position and title in society. She should be spoiled rotten, but she’s not. Although willing to sacrifice herself for her family's honor, she still wishes to marry for love.

William was a fantastic swoony hero- he very much reminded me of a mix of Austen’s Mr. Darcy and Captain Wenworth. He is
Caitlyn Lynch
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-georgian
I started off this story not liking the ‘hero’ William very much as he uses a wager won by his father to force the heroine into a betrothal against her will. But if you’re looking at the title askance and debating whether you’re going to like a story with this kind of storyline, I’m going to tell you that you should give it a chance, because the author does an excellent job of fleshing out her protagonists from an unpromising start, until we really sympathize with William. Left in an utterly unt ...more
Sydney
From page one, Karen Tuft’s Wager for a Wife Is an absolute delight. A sweet and enchanting tale of a wager, causing an unexpected engagement, marriage, and of course romance. Tufts creative story comes to life through the experiences of her charming and enjoyable characters. This story focuses on family and a lovely romance. And the title of the book fits in perfectly with the storyline, creating an even better reader experience. Readers that enjoy regency romance will be sure to take pleasure ...more
Bonnie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful read. I wasn't sure how the title worked into the story or how exactly the wager worked into it. I tend to forget back cover blurbs or don't read them completely, so I realized not far into the story what the wager was. However, upon completion, the title meant even more than it did in the beginning. I loved getting to know the quiet William and his motivations behind his actions. I loved Lady Louisa's strength and courage to act honorably. And the ending was about as prefe ...more
Amy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Wager for a Wife. What a wonderful book. I had a hard time putting it down and had it read in one day. Five stars.
Lori
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
An adorably cute story with a clever little plot!
Elevetha
*a copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review*

2.5 stars.

The beginning honestly had me tempted to ditch it, as some of the dialogue was truly painful, the humor was forced, and Louisa is in stitches over said forced humor. It was rough. But I pulled through and while there were definitely some issues throughout (the above mentioned and also contrived plot points, primarily), I overall enjoyed it and wouldn't be amiss to reading more of Tuft' s w
Diana
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dumb dumb premise that I couldn't get passed. Why are they taking this wager so seriously? How can William be so likable and kind and press the fulfillment of this wager to force Louisa to be his wife? Surely there are other rich ladies he could marry for money to save his estate.

The writing was barely average and the dialogue inane or else I could have suspended my disbelief but this book had nothing going for it. DNF.
Shauna
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! I so loved it! I especially loved the twist of the "wager." I cannot even imagine marrying for anything except love.

By of course this is a romance book so love is finally found, but not until secrets are kept, discovered, and resolved in a most wonderful way. Some will even surprise you.

This is truly a book not to be missed!
Maria Thomas

I liked the characters in this book and felt like I knew who they were. I loved Louisa's bubbly, talkative self and thought she was awfully mature in handling the situation in which she was placed. I cared about William because even if he couldn't express himself in words or even facial expressions, he still felt deeply. He cared about those he loved and was willing to set aside his own happiness for them. In so doing, he gains true happiness for the first time in his life.
Louisa's bro
Janet
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Barlow’s life has been forever altered: his estranged father is dead, and William has inherited the title of Viscount Farleigh. Along with the title comes a neglected estate, an enormous amount of gambling debt, and one astounding acquisition that will turn William’s world upside down . . . It is her first London Season, and Lady Louisa Hargreaves could not be more pleased. She has attracted the attention of the Earl of Kerridge, and the two are on the cusp of an official betrothal. That ...more
Sheila
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Author Karen Tuft's new Regency Romance! Some times, Regency Romances have the same story-line, but Wager for a Wife had so many different aspects to the story that I found very intriguing. I don't want to tell too much, but let's say that the whole twist of who ends up getting married to whom was fantastic. I also liked how well developed each main character and sub characters were. Tuft writes with such great descriptions that the story comes alive.

If you are looking for a Regency Rom

• The Masked Baron
  • The Gem Thief
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Adoring Abigail
  • Solving Sophronia (The Blue Orchid Society #1)
  • His Lady in Hiding
  • Promised
  • A Proper Charade
  • Bloodline
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)

Karen Tuft was born with a healthy dose of curiosity about pretty much everything, so as a child she taught herself to read and play the piano. She studied composition at BYU and graduated from the University of Utah in music theory, where she was a member of Phi Kappa Phi and Pi Kappa Lambda honor societies.
In addition to being an author, Karen is a wife, mother, pianist, composer, and arranger.

News & Interviews