Start by marking “Shadow's Way” as Want to Read:
Shadow's Way

Shadow's Way

Prepare to be spellbound. Barbara Frances' long-awaited third novel, “Shadow's Way,” takes you to the coastal, deep South, where the past and the present mingle in a gothic tale of insanity, murder, and sexual intrigue.

You'll meet the beautiful Elaine Chauvier, former actress and proprietor of Shadow's Way, her family's antebellum home; the esteemed Archbishop Andre Figu
Published July 27th 2018 by Positive Imaging, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Shadow's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow's Way

Start your review of Shadow's Way
Deanne Patterson
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
I've never read this author so I wasn't really sure what to expect. While the premise of the book did sound intriguing to me, Southern, gothic,insanity and murder it wasn't quite what I was expecting.
There is a plot but it deviates from it greatly and starts rambling for pages on end making it hard to follow. I didn't connect with the main character, Elaine Chauvier, who really was flighty and talks to and gets advice from her dead grandfather.
Full of mystery and intrigue I just didn't make a co
Seraphia
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, southern
Shadow's Way is the first book that I have read by this author and when I saw the cover and read the blurb I was anticipating a really good novel to dive into. What I got wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I get a myriad of different characters, strange situations, and a storyline that seems meandering one minute and then focused the next. I enjoyed this story, but I honestly wanted more.
I enjoyed the variety of characters in the story and I absolutely liked the immediate tie-in of the title
Celtic's Library
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I want to start off by saying a thorough, more organized review will be up on my blog, CelticsLibrary.com ,by the end of this week, because I am having trouble keeping my thoughts straight on this book.
First off: Elaine has serious mental health issues. I took many years of psychology for my Bachelor's degree and I was not ashamed of diagnosing her within the first few chapters. She is, for lack of a better word, cray-cray and needs some serious help. She talks to ghosts, specifically that of he
Candy Briggs
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elaine Chauvier ran a bed and breakfast from her Antebellum home.
Archbishop Andre Figurant had just finished Mass and was seeing his parishioners out.
Bastian Figurant is the identical twin of the Archbishop.
Ofelia was Elaine's half-sister and was the child of her father's second wife.
Rudy was both Ofelia and Elaine's cousin and he was coming to visit.
Elaine thought she had gotten rid of the family but Ofelia was here and Rudy was coming in a week or so. She did not want to share Shadow's Way and
Lee
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very intense book! Shadow's Way is a suspenseful, amazing story that centers around an antebellum home on the Gulf Coast that is the life's blood of Elaine Chauvier, a woman of aristocracy that boasts of ties to Robert E. Lee. It's a multi-layered story that seems to be a history of the house and its inhabitants, who have many secrets and obsessions. It turns it to be a horror story of a crazy woman who is out to kill anyone who gets in her way or who tries to take her precious home, Shadow's Wa ...more
Jamie Jack
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: p-2019
I did not like this book, and in fact, thought I might not finish it. In truth, I was put off by what I read in the first couple of chapters. Both the archbishop and Elaine are so condescending toward the other people that they interact with that I found it completely off-putting. A cleric thinking of a penitent as cow faced? A woman who talked condescendingly to the guests at her bed-and-breakfast while thinking them uncouth? These characters just rankled my every nerve. The language of the nov ...more
Linda Romer
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
My first thought was "There is way to much stuff going on in this Novel" But as I continued reading I saw it all coming together. A clever story that leaves you guessing until you get, I would say to the middle then things become clearer and more disturbing. Elaine Chauvier is a complex character that will have you gasping for breath. Archbishop Andre is also a complex character with a demanding presence. I loved Ofelia and the headstrong Rudy. I thought Lanita and Damien my favorites. With more ...more
Marta Moran Bishop
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift from my niece, and cannot thank her enough.
Ms. Francis’ novel Shadow’s Way, had me enthralled from page one, it kept me reading until so late into the night that I used a flashlight in order not to wake my husband.
I’ve always enjoyed reading gothic tales, but this one went beyond most that I had read. The synopsis was correct, past and present mingled and left me on the edge of my seat. Was G – G – Daddy a real paranormal experience or a figment of Elaine Chauvier’
Michelle
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a different type of read for me, and I wasn’t sure when I started reading if I would enjoy it, but very quickly I found myself getting pulled into the story. The cast of characters is very colorful, not just the ex-actress Elaine Chauvier. The author does such a good job with descriptions, you can see the characters in your mind, hear the southern drawl, and even smell and taste the coffee as you read. It doesn’t take long to find yourself wondering what’s really going on in each charac ...more
Norma Jost
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping tale of intrigue, torment and love!

This story had me going from the moment I started reading it and couldn’t put it down. I was so sad on some parts and especially pleased that vengeance was not worth it. So many interesting characters and the plot is so deep. I loved how it dealt with very difficult topics.
Rebecca
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, my feelings on this book are pretty much all over the place. I did not like the uppitiness of the characters, but they are very true to life. The story itself was really good and incredibly well written. There were some rather interesting turns in it that were awesome. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book in exchange for a free copy.
Heather W
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The descriptions and suspense draw you into this story until you are entranced by it. This is one that will leave you guessing until the very end. The characters are intriguing, each in their own way. Enjoy this journey into the past as it entwines with the present.

Kelly
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful and interesting story. Set in the gulf coast, the story includes an antebellum home and a woman who claims to be a descendant of Robert E Lee. The house and it's residents have lots of secrets. Kept my interest throughout.
Elizabeth McDaniel
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is full of intrigue and mystery. It pulls you from the present to the past and takes you on an unexpected adventure. Very untraditional.

Amy
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked Shadow's Way. Though, it was a little slow at times, but picked back up where I wanted to keep reading. I am giving it three and a half stars.
Heather Bennett
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadows Way is the third in the series and the first I have read. I am excited to read the others in the series. Well written and interesting characters.
Candy Briggs
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elaine Chauvier ran a bed and breakfast from her Antebellum home.
Bastian Figurant is the identical twin of the Archbishop.
Ofelia was Elaine's half-sister and was the child of her father's second wife.
Rudy was both Ofelia and Elaine's cousin and he was coming to visit.
Destiny Brown
Dec 17, 2019
Naomi
Dec 17, 2019

• The Cost of Crude
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Scotsman Who Swept Me Away (Seven Brides for Seven Scotsmen, #3)
  • Highland Obligation (Highland Pride #5)
  • The Highlander's Christmas Bride (Clan Kendrick, #2)
  • A Lady's Past (Everton Domestic Society, #4)
  • To Wed a Wild Scot (Besotted Scots, #2)
  • Captivating the Scoundrel (Legendary Rogues, #4)
  • The Reluctant Marquess (The Duke's Daughters #0.5)
  • Highland Jewel (Royal Highlander, #2)
  • The Seer (The Other Side of Red, #1)
  • Return of the Long Lost Earl: Historical Regency Romance Mystery
  • The Summer Guests
  • How to Cross a Marquess (The Way to a Lord's Heart, #3)
  • A Vixen for a Viscount: Book 2: Hyacinth - Clean Regency Romance (A Duke's Daughters - The Elbury Bouquet)
  • Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • Discovering Grace (Inglewood, #2)
  • Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
I love to tell stories and I come from a storytelling family. That was our chief entertainment in 1950s rural Texas. I grew up Catholic on a small farm and my girlhood ambition was to become a nun. I was very serious and from 9th to 12th grade even went to a boarding school in a convent. I changed my mind when I graduated and opted for college, but after I got my degree I became a stewardess, then ...more