Start by marking “Heaven's River (Bobiverse, #4)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's River (Bobiverse, #4)

Heaven's River

(Bobiverse #4)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  14,657 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
Listening Length: 16 hours and 57 minutes

Civil war looms in the Bobiverse in this brand-new, epic-length adventure by best seller Dennis E. Taylor.

More than a hundred years ago, Bender set out for the stars and was never heard from again. There has been no trace of him despite numerous searches by his clone-mates. Now Bob is determined to organize an expedition to learn Be
Audible Audio, Unabridged; 16 hours and 57 minutes , 608 pages
Published September 24th 2020 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's River, please sign up.
Nokomis.FL From Dennis' blog: "As of the 28rd of August, I’ve essentially finished the first book, and it’s gone out to alpha readers. I’ve written the main arc …moreFrom Dennis' blog: "As of the 28rd of August, I’ve essentially finished the first book, and it’s gone out to alpha readers. I’ve written the main arc on the second one, and I’m working on fleshing it out. I normally don’t play well with deadlines, but I’m actually not far off this one. I anticipate the second book going out to alpha readers by mid-September."(less)
Kristóf Dékány right now, Audible shows the release date 2020 Sept 24th,
pre-orders are available…more
right now, Audible shows the release date 2020 Sept 24th,
pre-orders are available(less)

·  14,657 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews

Start your review of Heaven's River (Bobiverse, #4)
Rich Christiansen
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book isn't even out yet! Why are people rating it 5 stars?! Like, I get it. We're excited. But the point of Goodreads is not to 5-star every book we're excited about...

UPDATE: The book was released today! Temporarily upgrading my review to 4 stars until I've read it!

UPDATE #2: Finished the book and assigning an actual rating.

In short, if you liked the previous Bobiverse books, you'll like this one.

Pros
This installment kept me engaged. I wouldn't say it's a page turner per se, but still very
Jean
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the Bobiverse trilogy. This book is a continuation of the story. This book is engaging, but I enjoyed the trilogy more.

The book is well written and humor is scattered throughout the story. There are two stories going on: one is Bob searching for Bender and the other is a pending Civil War with a younger generation who call themselves Trekkies. The book makes a fun escape from the world.

I read this as an audiobook downloaded from Audible. The book is sixteen hours and fifty-seven minut
Bradley
For all you folks who have not been introduced to Bobiverse, start with book one. For all you folks who might be worried that they're losing steam by book four, please rest assured. I liked book four even more than books two or three.

The originally fantastic nerd nostalgia from the original is still available in these later books, but it doesn't rely upon it. Indeed, the moral quandaries, the mystery and adventure, the sheer awesomeness of a post-humanity uploaded consciousness of a single progr
RJ - Slayer of Trolls
Mar 18, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-audiobook
WARNING: An "unpopular" or dissenting opinion follows that fails to conform to the majority of opinions on this website. If you are the type of person who thinks that all opinions must march in lockstep with your own, please take the necessary steps to prevent your own anguish and frustration and stop reading now.

Executive summary: If you have not read any of the prior "Bobiverse" books, make sure you read those first. If you enjoyed those books, you will like this one. If you don't like those b
Trish
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everything has consequences.

About 24 generations of Bobs now exist. However, this many replications have resulted in a drift. Thus, the Bobiverse is fracturing (view spoiler) and the characters become ... downright erratic.
But there is more. As the book progresses, the rift between the bios and the Bobiverse also becomes more pronounced, which seriously pissed me off. I mean, one of the species wouldn't exis
Brent
Feb 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, kindle
I do like me some Bobiverse books but this one seemed to drag a bit. Still, a bad day with the Bobs is better than a good day elsewhere...
Efka
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
It is a book number 4 in the series, but it is also a sort of a new beginning, like a series-in-series. I've rated "The original trilogy" exclusively in fivers, so this book had a really steep hill to climb to reach the same level, and long story put short, it didn't.

Now don't get me wrong, it still is a very good book, just it lacks a bit of freshness, novelty and lightness of the original 3. There's too much Bobs and too much pages for this kind of story. Oh, and the whole plot looks quite si
Soo
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

- #4 may be my fav book in the series. Maybe. I have to think about it or re-read the series. =)
- The opening for the book made me question my memory of All These Worlds #3. Now I want to reread it.
- I enjoyed the setup much more than the conclusion of the story, but the way things were left leaves me excited to see what else will happen. No cliffhangers. Just lots of fun possibilities.
Michael Bates
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Heaven's River
This is a good book and I have no problems recommending it. Anyone who read or listened to the first 3 books will undoubtedly enjoy this last edition to the "Bobiverse" series.

I'm a huge fan of Dennis E. Taylor; he has demonstrated his prowess as an author.

I do, in contrast to my recommendation, have some minor criticisms which are hopefully taken constructively.
First, the strength of this book leans on the first three books in the series. Compared to the first three, this story
Karen’s Library
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another superb installment of the Bobiverse! I seriously cannot get enough of this series which is perfect for us sci-fi nerds. And the icing on the cake? The performance of Ray Porter in the audiobooks! He’s just so utterly brilliant in how he narrates each and every Bob.

The humor in this series is reminiscent of Mark Watney in The Martian. If you loved Mark’s banter with himself, you’ll probably love The Bobs.

In this series, when Earth gets destroyed, the consciousness of Bob is sent off into
Martin Nachev
Oct 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Gave up at 50%.

Heaven's River is like the latter seasons of your favorite TV show that ran out of good ideas after the series ending originally envisioned already passed and is now just an uninspired shell of its former self.

While the book started out pretty good, with the interesting space exploration stuff I loved from the original trilogy as well as a potential civil war in the Bobiverse, it soon turned into a slogfest taking place entirely on foot (with the so-called Mannies) dealing with t
William Rood
I well and truly love the Bobiverse. Never having been a fan of post-human tales prior to Taylor's first book, I found myself enveloped in it, and eagerly awaiting the next one in the series. In every case prior, the series just kept getting bigger and better.

This one, however, is 14 hours of a highly detailed chase scene, whereupon the runners ultimately get caught, and magically everything turns out OK. My only complaint, but it just dragged on and on. It was a chore to get through "yet anothe
Daniella
Dec 08, 2020 rated it liked it
First of all, what a dick move to release only on audible first. Had to change from kindle to audible to read it.
But for the actual review I have to say this: it was a good story, I love Bob(s) and the sense of humor of the author. I did find the main plot like a drag, and the change of format of the story felt less satisfying and like there was much less happening, although there were a lot of seeds for new stories in the future that make me hope for more epic conflicts like in the first 3 book
Stuart
A bit overlong, but Ray Porter's brilliant narration redeems it
The Bobiverse was an unexpected hit by an unknown author who struggled to find a publisher but signed a deal with Audible and somehow found one of the best voice narrators out there, Ray Porter, and the combination has been sheer magic. A bit like John Scalzi, Dennis E. Taylor tells clever, breezy, enjoyable SF adventures with solid science, lots of humorous geeky pop culture references like Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, and has a
Kaffeeklatsch and Books
Absolutely brilliant, entertaining and funny!! An all-time favorite for sure. I can't wait for the next one 😜

13/06/2021 - re-read via audiobook 🎧
Justin Larrabee
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
tldr: I remain a fan, but I hope the future is brighter for the Bobs.

I loved the original trilogy and have listened to it multiple times. It’s marriage of high concept sci-fi, deep character growth, and complex and well-woven subplots are writing at its best.

This book? None of that. Subplots are hinted at, yet never explored. Instead, the vast majority of the book is spent in the perspective of Bob #1 as he runs around pointlessly in an alien environment.

Despite being among a richly designed al
Tyler
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My brain feels... tingly. But in a bad way. I read half yesterday and half today and I don't think I'll ever recover. 17 hours...

Ok, favorite parts.
- I love the... shoot, that's a spoiler. The otters are cool. It was a good mystery with a satisfying ending. Along with a new and now terrifying mystery.
- The otters are a bit overzealous but they try their best.
- I love every single bit of technology that gets mentioned.

Issues
- I think maybe half of Bob's journey could be trimmed down and replace
SarahRose
Sep 21, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A super extended, detailed and repetitive chase inside a topopolis structure takes up two thirds of this long book! I was bored to death with the whole thing.
Babbs
Dec 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating was honestly a little lower if I looked at the writing objectively, but bumped it up simply because I enjoyed it so much. It's the perfect intersection of what I wanted to read and execution of that idea, and listening always put me in a great mood.

My husband had the privilege of regular "Bob" updates as I made my way through this series. I don't think this would really be for everyone, but if I ever found out there is a new book in this series, I'd fall into a VR lounge chair wit
AndrewP
Sep 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
The fourth book in this series and significantly longer than the first three and that's my only complaint really, it felt a bit to long. Other than that a great read. (Or listen, the audio book is very good.)

I'm a sucker for SF books feature exploration and BDO's in particular (Big Dumb Objects). This one really hit the spot in that aspect as the majority of the book is centered in a topopolis. The Bob's infiltrate this structure and discover that the inhabitants have no idea they are living ins
Narilka
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, audio
I have been looking forward to this book ever since I read on the author's blog that he was writing another Bobiverse story. I love the Bobs and the original trilogy. It's great to find out what's happening now that humanity's been saved and the Bobs have some free time.

What's happening is that Bob One has decided to go on a search for Bender, who disappeared over a hundred years ago. Meanwhile, replicative drift is a real and the latest generation of Bobs can hardly be considered Bobs any more.
Kaila
I read the first three in paperback, but this one was released as audio first so I listened to it. It was hard to keep track of who was speaking - they're all Bobs, they all sound the same! Except for a few who had distinct voices, I had a hard time telling who was narrating.

At this point, his formula is easy to follow. The Bobs find a new civilization. Things go wrong. They try to fix it. The Bobs themselves have some interpersonal drama. Fin.

There is a fractious group of Bobs who call themselv
Seb
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, comedy
So I've finished the available Bobiverse books, and what did I think of this start to a new era for the Bob's. I liked it. I don't think it was my favorite in the series, I think that spot is still reserved for books 2 and 3 but this is the 3rd best in my opinion. This book is different from its predecessors in that it focuses on one storyline more than several converging ones. The titular Heaven's River. I'll admit I found this book dragged a bit. It is the longest in the series by far and trie ...more
Ian
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's interesting to a read a book written by an author in late-stage brain-poisoning-by-pop-culture. The author and his characters both delight in the act of "referencing" things. This is what Nerd Culture has come to: pretending that having watched a lot of Star Trek is a personality (and a mark of merit).

The premise remains neat, and the readability of the series benefits from lifting the video game-style progression of resource management, tech tree research, and leveling up.

I am suspicious o
Ernest Perez
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I was stoked when I first saw that this book was about double the length of the other books. And the beginning was quite exciting. But the further I got into the book, the less excited I had become. To the point that I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Heaven's River isn't bad by any means, but it's certainly not as exciting as the previous books. I mostly enjoyed the mega-structure plot, but I was almost immediately bored of the secondary plot. And the big twist ending was just very meh. It ended
Mark
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I'd probably give this a 3.5.

Perhaps I wasn't in quite the right mood to read this, but a Huge chunk of the book seemed unnecessary. There's a very large chunk devoted to adventures as Mannies... and, I got really really bored by it.

There were some interesting parts of the swashbuckling, including philosophical discussions and minor worldbuilding... but the worldbuilding really didn't feel interesting. The society in question just wasn't different enough from humans to be worth devoting that muc
Joe Leigh
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Definitely a weak return to the Bobiverse, a series of updates to different story lines strung together with a so-so adventure. I always feel the more human like a sci-fi alien species, the lazier the writer was. Never tempted to quit listening to it (audiobook), but it was nothing more than entertainment.
Joe
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am really surprised by the high ratings. The book was unnecessarily long and boring. Nothing really happened except for the last 15 minutes or so. Big departure from the previous books. If you skipped this book, you wouldn't be missing much from the Bobiverse. Narration was great. ...more
Jonathon Von
Nov 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings about books 2 & 3 which was why I put this one off, thinking it would be more of the same. So it was a pleasant surprise to find Heaven's River to be a pretty enjoyable adventure that takes a hard lean into some pretty complicated sci-fi while remaining light and accessible. A lot of the story takes place on an alien world with a unique species and culture, while going back and forth between tying up old threads and focusing on an emergent threat of a real divide within the ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: An unexpected but welcome addition to the Bobiverse. I felt it started a bit slow but really picked up as the book went along. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Audiobook: Ray Porter once again does a great job. I'm glad they were able to get him to continue on with this series. He does a variety of voices that really add that extra something such that I'll always do it in audio. Which is good since it's an audible exclusive.

Full Review
When All These Worlds came out thre
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page count 42950440-heaven-s-river 2 10 Mar 10, 2021 10:06AM

• Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)
  • Food: A Cultural Culinary History
  • Self-Reliance and Other Essays
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #14)
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms, #2)
  • A Broken Queen (The Nine Realms, #3)
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
  • The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)
  • Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)
  • The Practice Effect
  • Earthclan (Uplift 2-3)
  • Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1)
  • Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
See top shelves…
I am a retired computer programmer, an enthusiastic snowboarder, and an inveterate science fiction reader.

And, apparently, an author now. Did not see that coming.

Bobiverse (4 books)
  • We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1)
  • For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
  • All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)