Start by marking “Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil Book 2)

Why the Devil Stalks Death

(Death and the Devil #2)

Jack Reardon uncovers secrets for a living, and the Meta-State spy is pretty good at it. Or rather he thought so until he met Ethan Blade—assassin, warrior, enigma. The unlikely pair have decided to give living together a shot, but Jack’s not entirely certain what he’s gotten himself into—or exactly who he’s in it with.

Jack’s worries are compounded when he’s assigned to a
Kindle Edition
Published December 9th 2018 by L.J. Hayward

To ask other readers questions about Why the Devil Stalks Death, please sign up.
L.J. Hayward Hi Kerri!

I announced the other day on the blog that book 2 should be out December 9 2018. :)

There will be three full length novels in the series and…more
Hi Kerri!

There will be three full length novels in the series and the three novellas between books 1 and 2.

I hope you enjoy them!!

Cheers!(less)

Simone
MIND. BLOWN. AGAIN.

I'm pretty sure there are still sparks circling around my head...
There really was only one person Jack wanted at his back these days. And he was part of the reason why Jack needed someone at his back.

Bildergebnis für american assassin gif

At this rate, Jack Reardon will probably swear off his birthdays for the foreseeable future... It's been two years since he 'celebrated' one in a torture shack in the Australian Outback looking death aka Ethan Blade in the face. One year since he met him again under pret
Shile
This one gets 5++++++++++++ stars

I am in love with this series.

“It’s nothing to be worried about, Jack. I’m just . . . it’s a surprise. For you.”
Jack feathered his lips over the newest bruise, a purpling patch under Ethan’s ribs. “What sort of surprise entails this?”
“A good one, I hope.”
“Nothing is worth you getting hurt.”
Ethan cupped his hands around Jack’s face, holding him still and staring into him so deeply Jack thought he saw something flicker for a second in Ethan’s fixed pupils.
“Some t
Renée
Who is Ethan Blade?

We, along with Jack, find out in this book.

Hayward continues to blow me away with her writing talent. She's just so clever! Every minute of this story entertained me, especially the relationship development. This is going straight to my best of 2018 shelf.

The mystery in this one, once again, hits a little too close to home. Jack is especially vulnerable when forced to work with a past hook-up, which he doesn't want Ethan to find out about.

These two flawed men finally open up t
Wendy

4,5

I have been hooked on this series ever since I read the first page of "Where Death meets The Devil". I fell in love with both Jack and Ethan (though Jack is the one that really cranks my engine) and I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen next. This is not a figure of speech...I literally couldn't wait, and so I kind of ...stalked the author :P

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor stalking gif

Now, I don't want to give too much away about this one, because this is a suspense series and I think it should be read without any spoilers. This m
Christelle
**5 +++ stars** 😍

I’m **ADDICTED** !!! I lOVE this series. It’s as if this author, after getting into my head, wrote this series to hit all my buttons…spooky !!
That’s why I love reading : to get immersed and tag along with the MCs, experiencing their feelings, without a moment of boredom nor confusion.

Jack, Jack, Jack…Yes, what has been holding you for so long while being so attuned to Ethan and seeing the best of him ???
Ethan, Ethan, Ethan…how I love slowly discovering you behind all this coldn
haletostilinski
Man, I was SO stressed out reading this until about 80 percent when everything was coming to light and we were learning all these things.

Mostly because of this line early on that made me FREAK OUT. And then until it was revealed exactly what happened, I was tense and worried and freaking out. It got better the more we learned, but I was a MESS okay.

Because in the 1.8 book, Jack and Ethan (view spoiler)
Jewel
Everything I hoped for. ❤❤

Thank you Elf sleuthing a la Elmer Fudd for gifting me this! WOOT! You just made my Monday!! <3
Fabi
I'm going to have to think about this one. RTC

...later...

I finished this morning but I still don't know how I feel about this book. On the one hand, I love, adore, and can't get enough of Jack & Ethan. I love their unusual relationship and all of their life risking adventures. Two alpha males who are as smart as they are tough, making it even more special when we catch a glimpse of either of them letting down their defenses with each other.

The first book in this series, Where Death Meets th
Ele
Best of the best. Mystery and romance are perfectly balanced. Hayward has some mad skills. Can we get a story for Adam too, please?
Ky
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5 stars*

Definitely one of the best series I've read this year, The Death and the Devil are back with some mystery, action and a good deal of jealousy and angst.

Jack and Ethan have come so far from their first meeting in the desert and their relationship is slowly but steadily moving forward. These two are perfect together, not because they are destined to be so, but because they see each other for who he really is and they don't back down, they don't want to change the other in order to fit the
Ariana
Waiting for this one was really hard.
Was it worth the wait?

Well, that was me once I started and it says it all. I was glued to my seat from the very first word to the last.

Just like in book one, L.J.Hayward takes us on a journey between two timelines: before and after.
And again she uses this to maximise the tension and emotional turmoil of both, the mystery plot and the relationship development between Ethan and Jack.

Seeing the two men happy and bonding in the 'before', but finding them hurt and
fleurette
I’m confused, I have so many mixed feelings after reading this book. I love it but I’m still disappointed at the same time.

I’ve been waiting for this book so much! I’ve even read the short stories in between that I normally rarely read. And the shorts are so good, I expected something spectacular from the second full book in the series.

But mostly what I expected were Jack and Ethan living together, working together and generally working out how to be together. And unfortunately for most of the
Natalie
Excellent!

Ethan & Jack are my favorite book boyfriends right now. Like the very first book, the chapters alternate between two time periods, months apart. Maybe it’s just my brain being extra fuzzy but I found it more confusing than the first one. I think I still have a couple of things mixed up. That brought my rating down but when I read it again, maybe it will be easier. We’ll see. Ethan has “retired” to live with Jack and they’re great together, right up until they aren’t. There’s a ser
Chris
Wow what an intense ride ... I adore Ethan Blade, his ability to compartmentalize and yet show such loyalty and vulnerability to Jack. He is all things dangerous and all things beautiful. While the writing style of past / present was bloody frustrating, it kept me holding on for so long as I was trying to piece everything together... a fabulous installment..Jack & Ethan are simply perfect together in their imperfections ❤ ...more
Alexa
description

I'm completely mind blown by this series.
This second book was everything I was waiting for and more...

We finally reunite with our 2 badasses.
- Ethan Blade, Assassin extraordinaire. who decided to retire to be with Jack. But the life of an Assassin is not that easy to escape.
I ADOOOOORE Ethan. So deadly and yet so cute and adorable when it comes to Jack!

- Jack Reardon, Agent for Australian intelligence. Go undercover with a law enforcement agency to find and neutralize a serial killer.
I love him
rowenalovelace
Finally! I just can't express my love for these two enough... Such an exciting and rewarding story!

(view spoiler)
Christine
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Another great installment. I just love these guys.
The before and after style of writing didn’t work as much in this book as it did in the first (IMO). I was confused at times and a few things still aren’t clear to me. But that could totally be a case of “it’s me not the book”.
No matter though because I still love these fellas!!

And we all know by now that Ethan is not going to kill Jack. Why doesn’t Jack know that? The constant mention of Ethan possibility hurting or killing Jack caused several
 ⚣ Marco ⚣
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was close to perfection. Still not a fan of the two timelines narration ('Before' vs. 'After') though, but that didn't really diminish my enjoyment of the book and this author's brilliant writing.
Sahitya
Everyone… I am in love!!! I already loved Where Death Meets the Devil, thought it was a very one of a kind romantic suspense action novel, but this book has truly cemented it’s place in my heart. Wow what a journey this was. It was a roller coaster of feelings and I’m still trying to get down from the high, so I apologize in advance if I go on rambling here.

The author has a way of writing that keeps you on your toes for every single page and it’s very difficult to even imagine putting the book d
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with these books! Ethan has to be one of my favorite characters and I adore that we get some of him in the last two books (although I am hoping for more of Jack and Ethan🤞🏻).

Ethan and Jack have definitely had their ups and downs. They start to figure out each other’s feelings and then lack of communication, half truths, secrets and doubts set them three steps back ( I wanted to throat punch Jack for a minute in this one).

There is so much that happens in this installment but it def
Zuzu
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I love Jack and Ethan so much. And I love this series so much. But . . . the "before and after" chapters in this book didn't work as well for me as they did in the first book.

I guess it may be because the timeline was so close together, but I kept getting lost. I couldn't remember what happened previously when the timeline changed with each chapter and I kept having to go back to the end of the odd or even chapter to keep up with the storyline. This may just be MY problem but it really made read
Nazanin ex-Profile
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The before/after timeline didn't work for me. It's a shame because Ethan and Jack are still one of my favorite M/M couples of all time. I wish the story was written in the same format as the novellas.
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
This is one of my absolute favorite series of this year, and pretty much all time, and there is a reason for that. L.J. Hayward GIVES GREAT STORY!!!

I think my favorite part of this story was how each chapter rotated between the "Before" or "After". You're probably wondering: Before and After what? I won't be the one ruining that for you though :)

It kind of starts in the middle of the story and one goes backwards through the before chapters while the other (after) works forward, and then it kind
Elsbeth
My gawd, I was so tense reading this installment. I'm so in love with Ethan. (view spoiler)

The mystery had me on edge all the time. Was so scared for some of the characters. But I'm very satisfied with this read. It was everything I could hope for.

"Crazy basterd."

"Half right, Jack."

There will be more Jack & Ethan. I'm sure of it.

#ping
Anna
ETA: Annnd Done! OMG. What a ride. So so so so good. I mean, WDMTD is pretty much my best read for 2018. This whole series is one busload of thumbs up.

Ethan is still my innocent cinnamon roll deadly assassin. I yelled at Jack a lot. But Ethan also got yelled at too. SPOILERS BELOW. I mean it. SPOILERS. I ramble and blurt out stuff.

Original: LJ was kind enough to send me an ARC.

And by kind, I mean devilish, because I can't READ the thing until I turn in Twisted Wishes #3 to my editor. *sobs*

(view
Bev
lots of gold stars_zps4ygxak8z

Just a few words...brilliant, booshit [I like that one, it's Aussie apparently 😉], fantastic, outstanding, magnificent, superb. An absolutely AWESOME book 2...just couldn't be bettered. Honestly.
Lyra
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so here we go!

First off, this book is absolutely glorious. I love it. It's one of two series that I'm buying as soon as I can because I adore it so much. Furthermore, I didn't expect it to be a series where that happened, because it's a kind of cop/military series, and I tend to be pretty "eh" on cop/military series. This series blew me out of the water and I didn't see it coming.

Second, Hayward has done something unusual with the novellas. With most other series (all other series I've read)
gimmethosebooks
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GAH
Angelmira
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops, mobsters, favorites
Ok, half of the book I was so freaking mad at Jack, but... all is forgotten now. Like seriously.
I LOVED IT. I LOVE THEM. AND I LOVE LEWIS.
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life. Granted, a good deal of them have been of the tall variety, but who’s counting? Parents and teachers notwithstanding, of course. These days, the vast majority of her story telling has been in an honest attempt to create fun and exciting ways of entertaining others (and making money).

As such, she is still a mad (always provoked!) scientist

Death and the Devil (2 books)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)