Start by marking “Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil #2)” as Want to Read:
Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil #2)

Why the Devil Stalks Death

(Death and the Devil #2)

Jack Reardon uncovers secrets for a living, and the Meta-State spy is pretty good at it. Or rather he thought so until he met Ethan Blade—assassin, warrior, enigma. The unlikely pair have decided to give living together a shot, but Jack’s not entirely certain what he’s gotten himself into—or exactly who he’s in it with.

Jack’s worries are compounded when he’s assigned to
Published December 9th 2018 by L.J. Hayward

To ask other readers questions about Why the Devil Stalks Death, please sign up.
L.J. Hayward Hi Kerri!

I announced the other day on the blog that book 2 should be out December 9 2018. :)

There will be three full length novels in the series and t…more
Hi Kerri!

There will be three full length novels in the series and the three novellas between books 1 and 2.

I hope you enjoy them!!

Cheers!(less)
L.J. Hayward Hi!
Better late than never? I hope you found book 3. 😇
Cheers!!…more
Hi!
Better late than never? I hope you found book 3. 😇
Cheers!!(less)

Start your review of Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil #2)
Simone
MIND. BLOWN. AGAIN.

I'm pretty sure there are still sparks circling around my head...
There really was only one person Jack wanted at his back these days. And he was part of the reason why Jack needed someone at his back.

Bildergebnis für american assassin gif

At this rate, Jack Reardon will probably swear off his birthdays for the foreseeable future... It's been two years since he 'celebrated' one in a torture shack in the Australian Outback looking death aka Ethan Blade in the face. One ye
Shile
This one gets 5++++++++++++ stars

I am in love with this series.

“It’s nothing to be worried about, Jack. I’m just . . . it’s a surprise. For you.”
Jack feathered his lips over the newest bruise, a purpling patch under Ethan’s ribs. “What sort of surprise entails this?”
“A good one, I hope.”
“Nothing is worth you getting hurt.”
Ethan cupped his hands around Jack’s face, holding him still and staring into him so deeply Jack thought he saw something flicker for a second in Ethan’s fixed pupils.
“Some
Renée
Who is Ethan Blade?

We, along with Jack, find out in this book.

Hayward continues to blow me away with her writing talent. She's just so clever! Every minute of this story entertained me, especially the relationship development. This is going straight to my best of 2018 shelf.

The mystery in this one, once again, hits a little too close to home. Jack is especially vulnerable when forced to work with a past hook-up, which he doesn't want Ethan to find out about.

These two flawed men finally open up t
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
These books really are so much fun to read.

Suspense + L.J. Hayward = thriller heaven.

She keeps me on the edge of my seat better than most.

This case in particular I thought benefited by the "before" and "after" gambit maybe moreso than the first book. Admittedly I missed Ethan's perspective but I understand why it works better coming from Jack's perspective. But I will warn you, the end of every chapter will likely leave you somewhere in this neighborhood...

Each and every chapter made me want t
Wendy

4,5

I have been hooked on this series ever since I read the first page of "Where Death meets The Devil". I fell in love with both Jack and Ethan (though Jack is the one that really cranks my engine) and I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen next. This is not a figure of speech...I literally couldn't wait, and so I kind of ...stalked the author :P

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor stalking gif

Now, I don't want to give too much away about this one, because this is a suspense series and I think it should be read without any spoilers. This m
Christelle
**5 +++ stars** 😍

I’m **ADDICTED** !!! I lOVE this series. It’s as if this author, after getting into my head, wrote this series to hit all my buttons…spooky !!
That’s why I love reading : to get immersed and tag along with the MCs, experiencing their feelings, without a moment of boredom nor confusion.

Jack, Jack, Jack…Yes, what has been holding you for so long while being so attuned to Ethan and seeing the best of him ???
Ethan, Ethan, Ethan…how I love slowly discovering you behind all this coldn
haletostilinski
Man, I was SO stressed out reading this until about 80 percent when everything was coming to light and we were learning all these things.

Mostly because of this line early on that made me FREAK OUT. And then until it was revealed exactly what happened, I was tense and worried and freaking out. It got better the more we learned, but I was a MESS okay.

Because in the 1.8 book, Jack and Ethan (view spoiler)
Fabi
I'm going to have to think about this one. RTC

...later...

I finished this morning but I still don't know how I feel about this book. On the one hand, I love, adore, and can't get enough of Jack & Ethan. I love their unusual relationship and all of their life risking adventures. Two alpha males who are as smart as they are tough, making it even more special when we catch a glimpse of either of them letting down their defenses with each other.

The first book in this series, Where Death Meets the De
Teal
**** 3.5 stars ****

What an entertaining mess.

But before I say anything more about that, here's a public service announcement: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK WITHOUT FIRST READING THE INTERVENING SHORT STORIES/NOVELLAS, i.e #1.2, #1.4, #1.6, and #1.8.

For that matter, don't read this without having read Book 1 first -- but you would never consider doing such a thing, right? Of course not. This series must be read in order, and the short stuff between Books 1 and 2 contains relationship development so cruci
Jewel
Everything I hoped for. ❤️❤️

Thank you Elf sleuthing a la Elmer Fudd for gifting me this! WOOT! You just made my Monday!! <3
Ele
Best of the best. Mystery and romance are perfectly balanced. Hayward has some mad skills. Can we get a story for Adam too, please?
Ky
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5 stars*

Definitely one of the best series I've read this year, The Death and the Devil are back with some mystery, action and a good deal of jealousy and angst.

Jack and Ethan have come so far from their first meeting in the desert and their relationship is slowly but steadily moving forward. These two are perfect together, not because they are destined to be so, but because they see each other for who he really is and they don't back down, they don't want to change the other in order to fit the
Ariana
*5 stars +++*

Reread August 2019

And darn, it was so, so worth it! Not only was I reminded of so many details my poor old brain had forgotten, but it was simply glorious to see Ethan and Jack end up in a pretty solid place for now. To top this off in spectacular style we also see … (view spoiler)

Not that all of this came without any hick-ups or searing hurt and anguish. Far from it. The ro
fleurette
I’m confused, I have so many mixed feelings after reading this book. I love it but I’m still disappointed at the same time.

I’ve been waiting for this book so much! I’ve even read the short stories in between that I normally rarely read. And the shorts are so good, I expected something spectacular from the second full book in the series.

But mostly what I expected were Jack and Ethan living together, working together and generally working out how to be together. And unfortunately for most of the
ReadingAllNite
Excellent!

Ethan & Jack are my favorite book boyfriends right now. Like the very first book, the chapters alternate between two time periods, months apart. Maybe it’s just my brain being extra fuzzy but I found it more confusing than the first one. I think I still have a couple of things mixed up. That brought my rating down but when I read it again, maybe it will be easier. We’ll see. Ethan has “retired” to live with Jack and they’re great together, right up until they aren’t. There’s a serial
Caz

The dual timeline thing didn't work quite as well this time around, I suspect because, unlike the first book, where the events in each one took place a year apart and in completely different locations, in this one they're a lot closer together AND both happen in Sydney. Jack is a bit of a dickhead at times - given how well he knows Ethan and what his issues are, Jack does some pretty dumb shit - but they end up more solid than ever in spite of the wobbles along the way.

More about Ethan
Chris
Wow what an intense ride ... I adore Ethan Blade, his ability to compartmentalize and yet show such loyalty and vulnerability to Jack. He is all things dangerous and all things beautiful. While the writing style of past / present was bloody frustrating, it kept me holding on for so long as I was trying to piece everything together... a fabulous installment..Jack & Ethan are simply perfect together in their imperfections ❤️ ...more
Alex
description

I'm completely mind blown by this series.
This second book was everything I was waiting for and more...

We finally reunite with our 2 badasses.
- Ethan Blade, Assassin extraordinaire. who decided to retire to be with Jack. But the life of an Assassin is not that easy to escape.
I ADOOOOORE Ethan. So deadly and yet so cute and adorable when it comes to Jack!

- Jack Reardon, Agent for Australian intelligence. Go undercover with a law enforcement agency to find and neutralize a serial killer.
I love him
rowenalovelace
Finally! I just can't express my love for these two enough... Such an exciting and rewarding story!

(view spoiler)
Christine
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Another great installment. I just love these guys.
The before and after style of writing didn’t work as much in this book as it did in the first (IMO). I was confused at times and a few things still aren’t clear to me. But that could totally be a case of “it’s me not the book”.
No matter though because I still love these fellas!!

And we all know by now that Ethan is not going to kill Jack. Why doesn’t Jack know that? The constant mention of Ethan possibility hurting or killing Jack caused several
 ⚣ Marco ⚣
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was close to perfection. Still not a fan of the two timelines narration ('Before' vs. 'After') though, but that didn't really diminish my enjoyment of the book and this author's brilliant writing.
Lisazj1
Everything I could have wanted, except for more! <3 ...more
Claudie
God damn. Where the hell do I start.
If the first book was action-packed, this one was positively bursting at the seams. There was so much happening in there that the cliffies at the end of each chapter were an exquisite torture. Add to that the crazy emotional rollercoaster of our two sexy boys and I was getting dizzy. There’s not one dull page in this book.
All the fast-paced serial killer fun stuff aside, I loved how Hayward really developed both of the MCs over the course of the series. Ethan
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
The book gave me a headache. The time jumps were aggravating and incredibly frustrating. I was yanked out of the story numerous times I almost considered giving up. I feel like the plot would have still worked if it went in chronological order, but that's just me.

I did enjoy seeing Ethan though I wish he was in scene rather than the disappearing act he pulled for almost half the book.
Santy
Shout out to Fabi for actively enabling my book addiction! I treasure you! Lol!!

So we finally got theeeee *drumroll please* KISS!! Whew! After how many books and across thousands of words these two finally locked lips! Yay!

This is actually my favourite so far and I know what you might be thinking but its not because of the kiss. hehehe.

Its my current favourite because of the emotional growth that our MCs underwent. ESPECIALLY Jack who as we know can be selfish even in the face of the vulnerabil
Sahitya
Everyone… I am in love!!! I already loved Where Death Meets the Devil, thought it was a very one of a kind romantic suspense action novel, but this book has truly cemented it’s place in my heart. Wow what a journey this was. It was a roller coaster of feelings and I’m still trying to get down from the high, so I apologize in advance if I go on rambling here.

The author has a way of writing that keeps you on your toes for every single page and it’s very difficult to even imagine putting the book d
MishyJo
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Ahhh. That was everything I had been needing from this series. 4.5 stars.
Zuzu
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Jack and Ethan so much. And I love this series so much. But . . . the "before and after" chapters in this book didn't work as well for me as they did in the first book.

I guess it may be because the timeline was so close together, but I kept getting lost. I couldn't remember what happened previously when the timeline changed with each chapter and I kept having to go back to the end of the odd or even chapter to keep up with the storyline. This may just be MY problem but it really made read
Bev
lots of gold stars_zps4ygxak8z

Just a few words...brilliant, booshit [I like that one, it's Aussie apparently 😉], fantastic, outstanding, magnificent, superb. An absolutely AWESOME book 2...just couldn't be bettered. Honestly.
Elsbeth
My gawd, I was so tense reading this installment. I'm so in love with Ethan. (view spoiler)

The mystery had me on edge all the time. Was so scared for some of the characters. But I'm very satisfied with this read. It was everything I could hope for.

"Crazy basterd."

"Half right, Jack."

There will be more Jack & Ethan. I'm sure of it.

#ping["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)
  • Collateral Damage (Criminal Intentions: Season One, #8)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • The Hatter's Game: Part I (Criminal Intentions: Season One #12)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Crescendo (Criminal Intentions: Season One #11)
  • Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life, a good deal of them of the tall variety. She loves reading but doesn’t seem to have enough time between wanting to be a more disciplined writer, being the actual erratic writer she is, and working for dollars in a dungeon laboratory. She also lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland, but rarely sees a beach and can’t surf, though she thinks ...more

Death and the Devil (3 books)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • When Death Frees the Devil (Death and the Devil, #3)

News & Interviews