Start by marking “Escape!: A Writing Bloc Anthology” as Want to Read:
Escape!: A Writing Bloc Anthology

Escape!: A Writing Bloc Anthology

ESCAPE! It’s something that we all crave. Life in 2018 is loaded with stress, worry, and regret so, of course, these themes are old friends of the independent writers of the Writing Bloc Cooperative. In the first collection of shorts presented by Writing Bloc Publishing, twenty up-and-coming authors illuminate the varied nuances of ESCAPE! The result is nothing short of pu ...more
Published January 1st 2019 by Writing Bloc Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Escape!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape!

Andrea Stoeckel
I am in awe that some writers can do this:take a prompt and come up with a short story....Bravo to all the authors for their presentations
J. Milius
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm always on the lookout for new things to read and this anthology provides a delicious sampler platter of new literary voices. It really does have something for everyone, from the deep space tension of Evan Graham's "Breach," to the rich fantasy worlds of Tahani Nelson's "The Faoii of Ashwood" and Christopher Lee's "The Gilded Tower," the surprising twists Susan K. Hamilton's "Chrysalis" and Jason Chestnut's "Like Clockwork," and the laugh-out-loud humor of Michael James Welch's "Convict 45" a ...more
Jane-Holly
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Excellent compilation of stories! I would be hard pressed to single out one as the weakest (or as my favorite!), as they are all strong. Each author has brought their own distinct style to the idea of ESCAPE, and *you* will be glad to sit down and escape into the pages of this book.
Jacqui Castle
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection that could be of special interest to writers as readers, as we get to explore what twenty different indie authors did with a central theme - Escape!

There is something for everyone in this collection: scifi, fantasy, dystopian, western, and more. Favorite stories included Mrs. Ravenstein by Jason Pomerance, Cedric by Michael Haase, and The Marking by Grace Marshall.

Disclaimer: I do not have a short story in this collection, but I am a member of the group Writing Bloc.
Billy O’Keefe
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I watched behind the scenes as this book came together, and am friends and likely a future collaborator with the head architect (as well as friends with a few of the authors). So take from that what you will, but that extra perspective afforded me the ability to (a) watch a very difficult project come together smoothly and on schedule (b) appreciate, on multiple levels, how well the final product came together.

A anthology of this nature, especially one wherein the authors themse
Susan Hamilton
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimer: I am a contributor to this anthology.

Now that the transparency part is out of the way, I very much enjoyed the ESCAPE! anthology when I had the chance to read through it. Not only does it showcase a wide variety of authors, genres, and styles, but it also takes readers through a very interesting psychological landscape. Each story is the author's take on the theme/concept of "escape." Some have a very literal view, others come at it from the side -- and I was very intrigued by how ea
Mike James Welch
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclosure: I am one of the contributing authors to this anthology.

Escape! showcases a dynamic array of genre work from an equally dynamic array of young authors. Everyone is represented here - men, women, people of color, straight, gay, etc. There is truly something for everyone in this collection. Highly recommended.
Cari
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I have a story in this one, and worked on it as an editor, so I am clearly biased. But I have to say, for my fellow authors - there is some amazing work in this anthology. It's definitely worth checking out. Every story has its own strengths, and I loved working on it.
Christine Sopko
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time with the font. Pondering the word escape prior to reading might be helpful. There was a lot of sci-fi fiction. A read for those interested in the method of writing or sci fi. I'd rather have a discussion about it or see it as a Sundance short than read it.
Jason Pomerance
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
An excellent anthology of excellent stories, with something for everyone. (Full disclosure -- I am a contributor!)
Elizabeth Heller
Jan 26, 2019
Daniel Lee
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
David Myers
Jan 11, 2019
Rachel
Jan 20, 2019
Jody Dagg
Feb 02, 2019
Jason
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Michael Haase
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
J.
Jan 01, 2019
Robert Batten
Jul 09, 2019
Evan Graham
Nov 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Chris Hinkle
G.A. Finocchiaro
Christopher Lee
Alex
Deborah Munro
Peter Ryan
Nov 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Becca
Nov 29, 2018
Becca Cono
Dec 01, 2018
Tahani Nelson
Dec 20, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Gail Crotte