Start by marking “Planet Adyn (Theonite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Planet Adyn (Theonite, #1)

Planet Adyn

(Theonite #1)

The only thing scarier than finding out you have Earth-shaking superpowers... is finding out you aren't the only one.

Nobody looks twice at Joan Messi when she walks down the hall at school... and she does everything she can to keep it that way. You can’t afford friends or attention when you’re keeping a secret as big as hers. Unbeknownst to her teachers and classmates, Joa
Published May 1st 2016

To ask other readers questions about Planet Adyn, please sign up.
CJ I would say it's probably appropriate for late primary to early high school, but not preschoolers.

Start your review of Planet Adyn (Theonite, #1)
Merphy Napier
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-stars, fantasy
This was such a unique take on a story that could have been one I'd seen before. I LOVED that we got to sort of grow up with our MC and watch her discover her powers, and then learn how to hide them. It was a much more realistic way of telling a story rather than the training montage I see in so many stories like this one. I loved that element of the story and now, I can't wait to get to know her powers more and see Planet Adyn in further books. This is a fantastic start to the series!!
ChopinFC
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
Theonite: Planet Adyn is a solid first entry fantasy effort which had some bits of magic and very good writing.

I first heard of M.L. Wang after reading her phenomenal The Sword of Kaigen, which blew me away, and became my favorite book of 2019! Written in the same 'world' of 'Adyn', this new novel 'Theonite' was her freshman effort at fantasy writing. Despite some inconsistencies and slower mid-book pacing, the book was overall entertaining and a good first effort.

Wang, is able to write a 'co
sal
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was actually rather surprised when i found myself liking this book.

the setting in the previous book was duna, a planet that (to all knowledge) does not exist in the current universe. the setting for this one, though, was earth, and that is the main reason i was hesitant to trust this book. would m. l. wang be able to pull off a very modern, very contemporary setting while simultaneously managing to write about theonites? in addition, would i like a story about robin and daniel thundyil when i
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I'll be honest, I didn't go into this book expecting to love it. The blurb just didn't grab me, so I wouldn't have started reading it at all if not for the recommendation of a friend whose opinions I trust. And this book is now another reason why I trust those opinions.

Joan has spent her entire life teaching herself to pass as ordinary — hiding her superhuman strength, practicing her supernatural abilities in secret, making herself practically invisible at school and to her disappointing parents
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Joan Messi has spent thirteen lonely years hiding her supernatural abilities from her parents, her classmates, and everyone in her white bread suburban community. However, her little world of secrets is shattered when a pair of strangers arrive from a parallel dimension on the hunt for a nameless criminal. Now, after a lifetime of wondering how she got her powers, Joan might have found the beginnings of an answer.

For Daniel Thundyil and his father, elemental powers and ego-maniacal supervillains
Sandra
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and relatively short, this book was a unique take on a girl discovering that she has superpowers. The story starts to follow her from a young age and shows her growing up and learning to hide her powers from everyone, all the while trying desperately to find out where her powers come from.

(view spoiler)
Claire
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is so engaging, I read it through twice in a row and was no less caught up in the suspense the second time than I had been the first. There's a good mix of humor and more serious elements, and the climax is absolutely heartwrenching.

There's lots of setup for future books so 'Planet Adyn' doesn't quite stand alone, but it's a strong first book and I'm excited to see the rest of the universe fleshed out.
Diana Stormblessed
I'm choosing not to leave a star review but I didn't finish this one. After months of trying I just couldn't. So eye rolly. And the writing reads like an amateur writer. The Sword of Kaigan was so much better.
MorganW
I've read this book three times now and each time I appreciate it more, and fall deeper in love. What starts out as fun YA story with a fairly generic premise (isolated special girl with superpowers meets a mysterious boy with cool powers, adventure ensues) turns into something much deeper and more ambitious.

Basically, this series uses the trappings of generic special white girl YA to challenge our assumptions about power and racial hierarchy. Later on, I found a post on the author's blog where
Aneesa S.
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start—I had to pick it up twice to get into it—but once it builds momentum, Theonite: Planet Adyn is an inventive, compelling story that had me itching for the next book as soon as I realized I was nearing the end. The book does a lot of story setup, leaving you with more questions than answers at the end of this part one, but this does not work against the way it pulls its reader in. Here’s hoping part two continues the story arc by answering some questions—the smallest of which for me is ...more
Bin Userkaf
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic! I was sent this book in exchange for an honest review and i enjoyed it so much! It was a nostalgic and unique ride I recommend everybody hop on. The characters were witty and completely authentic and i loved them. Very excited to see how the next one pans the series out.
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review! My Spoiler-Free Video Review ...more
Stephanie
   I had absolutely loved Sword of Kaigen with its heavy Japanese influence and super-powered people (theonites). So much so, I was slightly worried that by changing the setting so drastically to Earth (or, Planet Adyn) that some of that magic might disappear.
   The thing was, any of that magic that was “lost” was replaced by a different magic, one that fit Earth and Joan’s world perfectly, in a way that Duna’s magic would not have done.
   Here on Earth, Joan is one-of-a-kind : she can tune int
Karen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard a review of Wang's The Sword of Kaigen, and the reviewer raved about it, so when I saw that the author had written this book first, I decided to read her books in published order. Anyway, I really liked this, and it ended on a cliffhanger, so I need to read the second book, as soon as I finish this review. ...more
JV  Findlay
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

A coming of age superhero story with incredibly unique ideas and plot devices. I could see the unfold hours that went into the creation of the world of Joan and her new friend Daniel.
Fantastic read for teens who love good sci-fy that isn't same-old.
Sebastian Bootz
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an engaging and fun read! The characters are easy to relate to. Initially I didn't think I was going to finishing reading, but as the plot got going I couldn't put it down. When is the next book coming out? I want more...
Lekhana Gogineni
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not usually one for Sci-Fi books, but boy am I glad that I stumbled upon this one. The main character Joan is different from other people on Earth, unlike them she has powers. But this is NOT the special snowflake trope, instead of her powers making her excel and seem better than everyone else they do the opposite and ostracize her instead. Joan is alone in a world where she knows she can't reveal her secret because of all the outburst it may cause. Her parents are neglectful and don't under ...more
Tzurky
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was incredibly short. I had just begun to sink my teeth back into the wonderfully detailed world when I was abruptly pulled out. So I’m docking a star.

Otherwise it is exactly what a young adult fantasy story should be - it’s gripping, it’s personal and relatable and incredibly intriguing. The main character is well developed and very far from being a self-insert character and the side characters are also interesting. It’s much less detailed and more streamlined than Mistborn (and no doorst
Angela H.
For a young adult, fantasy book, I am impressed with this book.

The story line is fairly simple where two super-humans were destined to meet on earth (Adyn). The two hands on the cover is related to the Daniel (black) and Joan (white).

I loved how the author does not mention typical powers involved in a fantasy book - fairy, werewolf, shapeshifter, vampire, etc. Instead, there are super-humans that have powers to connect with energy, whether it is fire, wind, air, etc.

The book had a coherent fl
LJ Waguespack
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another impressive book by an incredibly gifted and talented author, M.L. Wang. Having read The Sword of Kaigen and being impressed, I was equally affected by the beginning of this series, Planet Adyn. M.L.Wang creates worldbuilding on a grand scale, introduces characters that are captivating and positions the reader to embrace a series semmingly without end or boundary. I look forward to reading much, much more in both of these series and urge M.L. Wang to continue to deliver. Work well done, w ...more
Ryan Kennedy
Jun 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The prequel is better

Way to much exposition and repetitive information. This book was mainly pointless conversation and reminiscing about things that don't matter to the plot, if there even is a plot that is because I never found it. I will not be continuing with the series but I will still recommend the prequel book to this series, that was good.
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
To say I'm blown away by this book would be an understatement. I love everything about it. The characters, the story, the world-building; everything is absolutely wonderful. I'd write more, but I need to go pick up the second book right now immediately.
Janita Terresa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a slow start and it took a while to get into it. But if you stick it out the storyline is great after all the world building done. I really enjoyed reading this book (I did it in two night) and can't wait to read the second one. Definitely suggest if you enjoy science fiction sorta books.
Yash
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This book got me out of my reading slump! I'm so glad Merphy Napier recommended this on her channel. It was a very compelling read!! Need to read the next book ASAP. I NEED ANSWERS!!
Debrac2014
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
It was ok but just not for me! Joan was born with super powers that she had to hide! Then Daniel and his father appear from an alternate universe, chasing a criminal!
Joe Kessler
This YA novel has a neat hook: its thirteen-year-old protagonist has spent her whole life hiding superpowers, only to discover that her new neighbors have special abilities of their own and are here from a parallel dimension in search of a dangerous criminal hiding out in Joan's reality. I like this storyline a lot, and I think it would be good material for a TV or film adaptation. The worldbuilding is pretty imaginative, and I'm guessing author M. L. Wang will develop the concepts she's introdu ...more
Finley
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received an ebook copy of this book for free through a giveaway hosted on GoodReads.

Theonite: Planet Adyn is an amazing story which combines classic tropes of the super powered teen with elements of science fiction, particularly the existence of alternate realities. It focuses on Joan Messi, a thirteen year old girl who was born with extraordinary powers. All through her life, she has struggled to hide the fact that she is not only extremely strong, but also very quick in both body and mind ,
Steven Brown
Fun and interesting, with a few reader speed bumps

This first book of the series is certainly entertaining with some good characters and intriguing world building. Depending on the rest of the series or books set in these world's it could be more than a one time read. (Edit NOTE: Author has discontinued this series and with the style of the writing meaning that over arching story lines are left hanging and to be honest I would not have jumped in to the series if I had known) This book felt more l
Jen
I believe this is the debut novel for the author, M.L. Wang, and as such it is a superb endeavor. The story starts out a bit slow, but soon picks up momentum and continues fairly nonstop throughout the remainder of the book. Not a lot actually happens in this volume, but there is a ton of world-building. Basically, one assumes, things are being set-up for the real action to occur in subsequent tomes.

Some of the things that I disliked about this book are those that occur in many other stories al
Lissette
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tired of her lonely existence, Joan Messi has promised herself that she'll discover who and what she truly is no matter the consequence. For years, she's had to keep her powers a secret. Imagine her surprise when she meets not one, but two people who are like her in so many ways. Daniel and his father have the answers she so desperately craves. Getting them, however, will take every bit of her patience and then some.

A wonderful start to such a promising series, Theonite: Planet Adyn opens your e
« previous 1 3 next »

• Never Die
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • The Brightest Shadow (The Brightest Shadow, #1)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Of Killers and Kings (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #3)
  • Of Kings and Killers (The Elder Empire: Sea, #3)
  • Blood of Heirs (The Coraidic Sagas #1)
  • Of Shadow and Sea (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #1)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Of Sea and Shadow (The Elder Empire: Sea, #1)
  • Beggar's Rebellion (Resonant #1)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (The Coraidic Sagas #2)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Diamantine (Weapons and Wielders Book 2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1)
  • Street Cultivation
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
Hi, I'm M. L. Wang, writer of sci-fi & fantasy, winner of Mark Lawrence's 5th Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off (SPFBO).

I'm rarely on Goodreads, so if you need to get in touch, please see the contact page of my website: https://mlwangbooks.com/contact/

Theonite (3 books)
  • Orbit (Theonite, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Theonite, #3)