Start by marking “The Panchatheertha Part 1” as Want to Read:
The Panchatheertha Part 1

The Panchatheertha Part 1

The Panchatheertha (five pilgrimages) Part 1 is a facetious, satirical revision of sections 1 & 2 of The Panchatantra, the masterpiece Vishnu Sharma wrote between 1200 BCE to 300 CE. The stories are primarily about statecraft and full of wisdom and morals. Despite that, youngsters found them very entertaining. In the tales, animals act and speak on behalf of human bein ...more
Published November 22nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Panchatheertha Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Panchatheertha Part 1

Aryan Sarath
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I have read Panchatantra when I was a kid, I hardly could remember the stories now as I had read them more than 30 years ago. Now you might be roughly knowing my age :-) Having said that, though I felt the actual story was more focused and written for the kids but the new version I felt is apt for all ages.

What did I like about this book?

The stories talks in detail about various life events by stressing on morals but in an ironic way. This is a lengthy write-up and if you need to grasp al
Aditi Varma
Week 3 Book 5
Panchtheertha by Rajiv Mittal
Rating 3/5

I met the author on Facebook, on a common reading group, and it turned out we had the same Alma Mater! When he told me about his book, I was excited to read it, and what a journey it was!

Panchtheertha is a satirical take on the Panchatantra stories written by Vishnu Sharma aeons ago. The original collection of stories revolves around animals, and gave moral lessons. I remember it being an important part of my childhood, and I bought the exact s
Swapna Peri
Book Title: The Panchateertha: Part -1
Author: Rajiv Mittal
Format: Kindle Book

Book Title:
The title of the book ' The Panchateertha: Part-1 ' resembles the name of the book by the great hermit Vishnu Sharma, the ever classic - ' The Panchatantra '. The word ' Panchateertha ' as it means five pilgrim places, the title suggests the book is about a pilgrimage. Whether it's an outside or inward journey the story has to explain it.

Book Cover:
The cover image of the book is a very poorly designed animate
Chitra Iyer
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Panchatheertha Part 1 by Rajiv Mittal is my third read by the author. I had immensely enjoyed Brahmahatya and so when I was asked to review his new release, I obviously was curious to find out what the author had in store and gladly accepted.

So, let me start by giving you all a short summary of the book and then we will get down to my opinion.

Summary

The book begins with King Amarasakti finding a proper teacher for his sons. Shiva Varma is asked to coach the three princes and begins by reciti
Aarohy Kapoor
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before saying anything about the book, what impressed me the most about it was its title. It caught my attention and gave me mythological vibes which made me quite curious about the book. And, since it had Part 1 written at its end, I was clear that it would be a long book that I would enjoy reading. The same happened and I enjoyed reading this book. I give it 4 stars out of 5 and here is my review to it.

The main plot of the story is clear with its title where pancha refers to five and theertha
John  Trident
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Panchateertha

As the name describes, Panchateertha is an onomatopoeia which derives from the process of onomastics based on a linguistic language called 'sanskrit.' It refers to the five pilgrimages which enables & helps the soul seek salvation, freedom from all the shackles of materialistic life. It also helps it to reach the destination of enlightenment where all the living beings long for eternal peace.

Cover is okay. I feel it could have been better designed. It doesn't integrate much with
Zahid Ahmed
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Panchatheertha Part 1 by Rajiv Mittal is a fantastic read based on some part of the classic folktale book 'The Panchatantra'. I loved this book because it threw me back into my schooldays as then I was more into reading folktales and fairytales. Reading this book, after such a long time is a refreshing experience. The stories are fun to read as full of sarcasm and satire and comedy. It is a well-written and well-edited book, and I have a hunch that Rajiv Mittal is a promising writer after re ...more
Sayan Basak
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE TITLE-
The Panchatheertha or five pilgrimages is a book which tries to venture in seeking after what the soul desires we become pilgrims with no home but the path the soul would have us follow. The purpose of a pilgrimage is about setting aside a long period of time in which the only focus is to be the matters of the soul. Many believe a pilgrimage is about going away but it isn’t; it is about coming home. Those who choose to go on pilgrimage have already ventured away from themselves; and no
Sudarshan Jagtap
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blurb-
Vishnu Sharma’s reincarnation Shiva Varma has, in this redraft, revived the ancient Indian tradition of parampara (continuation of knowledge from one guru to the next). In his excitement, he forgot the younger age group of his shishyas (students). His characters now try to explain the motives for their actions, also express their feelings; something The Panchatantra had cleverly avoided doing. Within its pages, animals are still made to think and behave like human beings but have not othe
Shravya Gunipudi
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Title:
What I love about the tile is how catchy it is. Though it is only one word, it holds a deep meaning to it and is quite a good idea by the author. With the meaning ‘five pilgrimages’, this title is apt for the story line and is perfect.

Title Rating – 5 / 5

Cover:
I am not a huge fan of the cover, mainly because of how bright and distracting it is. It is difficult to read the title and the author’s name – but this is just my personal opinion. I wish it would have been more mellow or at least
Sangeeta Paik
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review:

Tittle:
The title of the book "Panchateertha" derived from sanskrit word. Its refer to "five pilgrimages ", which helps the soul for Nirvana or Mokshya . The title is interesting. It's comes from the classic and popular book from " Panchatantra" by Vishnu sharma.

Cover: the cover is designed very poorly. There are two jackals and a tiger , animated. I think the cover could have been much better according to the storyline.

Language: The language is good and simple. Its easy to understand wh
Sujit Srinivasan
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cover shows and animated or so called modernized art form which has animals such as tigers and fox within in .. If you ask if its beautiful on first view I would say no. But its a different approach towards design and credit goes to the creativity of the designer.Coming to the title "Panchatheertha" which has a meaning of Pancha- five Theerta- Which means pilgrimage site. So combing both it does mean 5 pilgrimage sites.

The plots used in the story-line are those which explicitly brings out mo
Ankit Chouhan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Panchatheertha by Rajiv Mittal is one level above his previous book.
The title itself attracted me towards reading this book and also the length is an interesting prospect.
Talking about the stories the book has basically 5 stories based on different situations in life, since I have never read panchtantra but I just loved the plot of each and every story.
Along with the fictional characters we can relate to each and every thing being said to our real lives, the book is perfect combination of cr
Niyati Gogna
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Panchatheertha Part 1" by Rajiv Mittal is a well scripted and presented book infused with wit, humour and satire.

The plot is influenced by age old Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma, a collection of interesting tales which always had something for the readers to learn. Panchatheertha, has a twist to it where animals are personified and give life lessons in a subtle and light-hearted manner.

The plot is well crafted with a mythological touch to it. Narration and description is crisp and almost fla
Monika John
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Panchatheertha Part -1 by Rajiv Mittal is a work of fiction. The word Panchatheertha where 'Pancha' means five and 'theertha' means pilgrim sites. Don't confuse with the title thinking it is a mythology book about the pilgrim sites and god. The book is completely different. The word theertha carries a different meaning to it. Talking about the cover, it doesn't suits the title. It could be better and more attractive by having more colours in it. The book talks about the loss of friends and g ...more
Apurva
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Gist of Story:

The Panchatheertha Part 1 is based on the original Panchatantra Series by Vishnu Sharma. The stories presented in Panchatheertha are a resemblance to the five pilgrims and are the depiction of human emotions or feelings through various facades of life. It revises and modifies the original stories and gives it a fresh outlook.

Book Evaluation:

To start with the title, it does instantly take you back to “Panchatantra” The cover design could have been better. As a reader, I cannot r
Prashant Kaul
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief : The essence of this book is that how in this mortal world we meet various people and how we all fall apart. The amalgamation of 5 stories take the reader through a range of emotions and will stay in your memory for long. The stories are quite relative and practical. Each story will teach you something new and will leave you with a lot to introspect.
The narrative is impressive, although could have been better in terms of pace. The book cover is nicely designed and doesn't reveal much abou
Ankita Singh
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Panchateertha has been loosely inspired from the classic panchatantra stories we used to read as kids, though this collection has a much more developed, modern form of those stories.

Though the narration reminded me of lores and classic writing style, the dialogues sometime reflected a modern time. Also, the mention of modern gadgets with kings and queens kinda confused me. The timeline of the stories was never clear.

I liked the stories, but it wasn't something I enjoyed thoroughly. The stories
faiz
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packing the "Panch..."...

A topical take on an all time classic,PANCHATANTRA, left me in splits and stitches. Each character was etched beautifully either as a hero or a villain as one would wish to see them in their own perspective..it indeed needs an imaginative brain to string the stories into a seamless narration and Rajiv has excelled at it. Deeply philosophical cloaked in animal fables... if ever you have been prescribed medication for De- stressing-- read Panchatheertha 1.... You would be
Rahul Vishnoi
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A den of all things funny.
Review - Rajiv Mittal is meticulous in his storytelling. His first book, Brahmhatya was a delight to read. This book can't be more different than his first.
I have always had a strange fascination for stories where we witness animals living and talking like us humans. In Panchtheertha, Rajiv weaves the tale of morality in a walking-on-the-blade-edge kind of manner. The humor is dry at some places and subtle in others. And in some places it's so convoluted that I had to
Neelam Sharma
Dec 11, 2018
Yuva Ranjini
Dec 29, 2018
Rubina
Jan 06, 2019
Rajiv Mittal
Dec 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ayushi
Dec 21, 2018
Nithya K
Dec 25, 2018
Grishma Ninave
Dec 31, 2018
I was born in Chennai, India in the early nineteen sixties. I am an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and a CPA from Australia. I now live in Melbourne after a stint of several years in the Middle East.
Writing was a vague aspiration. It became reality thanks to a stranger who said I reminded him of the main character from Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. He quoted from it, ‘Speak