Start by marking “The Young Adult Writer's Journey: An Encyclopedia for YA Writers” as Want to Read:
The Young Adult Writer's Journey: An Encyclopedia for YA Writers

The Young Adult Writer's Journey: An Encyclopedia for YA Writers

"The trouble with “how to” books on creativity is that they usurp creativity. Not so with this very insightful guide for YA writing. If it doesn’t become a standard or even a classic among reference books, it will be an oversight. Janet Schrader-Post and Elizabeth Fortin-Hinds have all the marinated smarts and credentialed experience to pull this off, and they do! No dicta ...more
Published November 23rd 2018 by Tell-Tale Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Young Adult Writer's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Adult Writer's Journey

Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
Racist. Ableist. Homophobic. Patronising. Lazy.

This book is so filled with stereotyping and lazy, off-hand, unsubstantiated comments as to be actively damaging to anyone who tries to use it. Here are a selection of quotes from the book - not everything, as I got exhausted:

Racist:
- "Ethnicity is huge in YA... Ethnicity adds flavor. Many races have cultures that affect their behavior. Do your research and find the odd, quirky characteristic your ethnic character can use for fun..." Oh, and this qu
Charis Rae
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 STAR RATING.

For the most part, this book had some sound advice and good info. I especially loved the sections on the publishing industry and understanding your target audience. My favorite thing about the book was when it talked about WHY we love reading stories. That was super inspiring, impactful, and helpful for my own books. It helped me open my eyes and make sure I'm implementing these things, too.

butttttttttt there was a lot I didn't like:

1. um it said that a lot of adults read YA yet
Lynda Dickson
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Writers of YA genre
Shelves: nonfiction
The authors lead us through the main features of young adult books. Topics covered include: structure, characters, world-building, setting, language, point of view, pacing, the ending, writing a series, what agents are looking for, writing with a partner, and marketing. The irony is that the authors themselves don’t have much of a social media presence.

Throughout the book, the authors use Harry Potter as a case study, although the majority of examples are from movies - not books - with major spo
 CCAM&GZM
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Young Adult Writer's Journey is a specialty book that has the purpose to teach people how to write. Therefore I was very curious to see who the authors are and what kind (and in what amount) of information they were willing to provide.

Having the habit to use Goodreads, it was the first place where I looked for the authors, but I didn’t find much (somehow in contradiction with the recommendations given in the last Chapter). Anyway, from what I eventually found, seems very possible that The Y
Etienne
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m always unsure when reading a book explaining how to write or be publish by a writer you doesn’t look very famous. I’m fine with Stephen King telling me how to write, he obviously knows what he is talking about, but that’s not the case for everyone. This book surprises me in a good way. It present the basic of the YA mechanics and how to observe it, learn it and use it, and it does it very well. Some of those elements can even be use in others genre and still be relevant. My only problem with ...more
Benny
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so far the best book on how to write young adult fiction I have ever read. I really enjoyed the way they explained each aspect of writing, from the structure to marketing. It's very easy for anyone to understand.

There were lots of examples I was familiar with to help me see how different aspects had been applied successfully. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to write young adult fiction. It's got all the elements you need in one convenient place. The illustrations, also d
Amy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The Young Adult Writer's Journey: An Encyclopedia for YA Writers was an interesting read for me. I think it had some good information within its pages. As a reader, it made admire and appreciate writers even more knowing how much work they have to do to craft a story.
I give The Young Adult Writer’s Journey: An Encyclopedia for YA Writers three and a half stars. I believe many writers who are looking into writing young adult genre books would find this one as helpful.
I received this book from t
Eva
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
An entertaining read that I'm sure would have plenty of helpful tips for people looking to start writing YA. However, I'm a little tired of every book on writing treating the Hero's Journey like it's a sacred revelation. And I felt the author talked simplistically about teens and she got at least one detail completely wrong in an example about the Hunger Games. Useful for others, but not my thing.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Nicole
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an avid reader and as someone who has been working on YA writing myself, this book is excellent. It provides you with the basis of how you should go about structuring your story from your character creation, to the settings, plots, and all the other good stuff a YA book should contain. I especially enjoyed the coverage on writing a series with all of the many great tips on how to write your way through.
Lexie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was interested in this book; from early reviews it definitely sounded like a good jumping point for myself (and some friends) looking for a book that gave us a broad overview of the Young adult category. However I find myself agreeing with a couple of other reviewers who feel the book promotes lazy (or at least less in touch) stereotyping when dealing with what the authors coin as "current trends" or "sought after" characters.

This didn't feel like a guidebook that was influenced by t
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I am definitely in the target audience of The Young Adult Writer’s Journey. One of the already brewing works of mine is intended as a YA novel. I actually started a second one between finishing this book and writing this review. Additionally, as part of an active writers’ community, it isn’t unusual for me to be called on the give feedback on works intended for a YA audience, whether shorts or novels. The focus of this book is definitely primarily on the novel side of things, although some aspec ...more
JayJay Jackson
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book couldn't have come out at a better time for me. I'm presently writing a YA novel and this has many thought-provoking suggestions that have already improved my work. I think I highlighted about a third of the book! This is a volume I will keep and refer back to often. It's packed with good advice.

The level of detail makes this a must-have and it addresses some aspects of crafting a story that many similar books miss, such as improving a sagging middle or crafting a series. It also inclu
StorySchmoozingBkReviews
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Young Adult Writer's Journey is a handy resource for anyone looking to write for the young adult audience. There is a great section on the hero's journey that is especially worth looking into. The authors use examples of current bestselling novels and movies to help you identify why they were such a hit and how to incorporate those themes into your own stories.

Lots of advice and nuggets throughout the book that will help you to understand how to format and plot your YA novel. There is also a
Zahra Linsky
I am a teen. I read this book to see what people would say about writing teens. Overall, I think this book did a good job at conveying what it tried to. It's extremely detailed and well-informed. I enjoyed reading it, but a nagging feeling stayed. For some reason, I felt a little talked down to. This is most likely because I AM a teen and not the targeted demographic for this book. Other books similar to this (as in, they are about writing for young adults) make me feel the same, so I wouldn't b ...more
Marsha Moore
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found The Young Adult Writer's Journey useful, building in meaningful ways upon the classic Hero's Journey to make it relatable for the world of YA fiction. This reference is brimming with examples that illustrate how both characters and plot should be fine-tuned to appeal to a younger audience. A great tool for writers.
Samantha Luce
Easily accessible format. Lots of examples on how to as well as how not to write YA novel. All the basics are here for writing any type of novel and also how to market and sell. Very informative.

ARC received for an unbiased review.
Adria Reaver
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has everything to start with your YA novel, and as someone who wants to become a writer of the genre I was enchanted with this!
A.D.Zol
kapil
Dec 03, 2018
Ashley
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received this title for free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review***

The Young Adult Writer's Journey is a "how-to" for new authors. I think if you are already an experienced writer, a lot of the content in this book is probably second nature and/or you have an editor to help steer you in the right direction.

For a beginner though, I think this book is a helpful reference piece. Schrader-Post and Fortin-Hinds cover building a novel from beginning to end; touching on genre and stru
Mackensi Green
I think this book is great for writers who are just starting out. I like that they explained the plot tool of the Hero's Journey. I don't see it being the main topic of a lot of writing blogs but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. However, their explanation of some YA characters seems misrepresented. They talk about how characters are the more important factor of YA literature but fail to delve beneath the surface of famous YA character motives.

However, I do think the facts, tips, and techni
Kathy
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I thought I was reading a psychology book about children and then I realized this book is just what it says it is. You can’t sell a book without defining your audience. Unfortunately, in today’s world just writing what you want is not necessarily going to do anything but sit on your own shelf and no one else’s. The “audience” of young adult and middle grade kids is not what it was when we grew up. When I say we, I don’t care what your age is. Everything is changing fast enough that my ...more
Dalanie
Nov 26, 2018
LynneV
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a ton of books on writing craft and even though, I write romance and not young adult, I still think the advice in this book was useful to me and will help me improve my craft. The section of the Hero's Journey is particularly useful even though some of that information was rehashed in archetype.

Definitely recommend for writers looking to learn more about structure in general and writing for a YA-audience in particular.

ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opi
Janet Post