Start by marking “Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper” as Want to Read:
Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

When unassuming college student Emery Sutton wakes up in the morgue, it takes him a few minutes to remember he has magic (superpowers, damn it!) and free himself from the refrigerated drawer. And the body bag. (God.) It doesn’t take long, though, for him to remember the hot guy with wings he ran into just before a city bus ran into him.

Junior Reaper John must explain to hi
Published January 11th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

Start your review of Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper
☆ Todd
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

HA! This quote from the book sums itself up perfectly:
It is kind of sappy, the entire situation is right out of a romance novel… a very, very weird romance novel, but it’s also delightfully awkwardly charming.

At 20, college student Emery has had magic for as long as he can remember, but never realized just how powerful his "Superpowers" were, until he woke up in the morgue. After being dead. Well, 'mostly' dead, I suppose.

John (not his real name) was a newly-minted Reaper, who reme
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Honestly, I loved this funny, quirky novella.

Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper was my first book by Carole Cummings, but now I want to read every single thing she's written.

The story read like a T.J. Klune book, if his comedy books are to your taste. I was actually snicking out loud while reading in bed (my husband was not pleased), and I couldn't put it down. At only 70 pages, I blew right through it, and I left the story wanting MORE.

The family dynamics were adorable, the c
Martin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Every time I read a story that considers itself a parody or farce, I sadly end up being disappointed.

Handsome Junior Reaper Angel John accidentally touches a handsome guy on the street, which immediately causes said guy to be run over by a bus… because ‘touch of death’ etc.

However, our poor victim Emery isn’t dead. At least, not really. He wakes up in a morgue and needs to convince himself he isn’t Patient Zero of some zombie apocalypse.

After several attempts at solving the issue, which results
Len Evans Jr
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, paranormal
This short paranormal romance was charming, adorable and totally hilarious! Sam and Emery are truly proof positive that opposites attract and God know they don't come more opposite than these too! Although discounting their core natures these two adorkable geeks are a perfect match! What a truly laugh-out-loud funny and awesome read!
BWT (Belen)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute, funny as hell, with a dual POV, and while it ends a little bit abruptly it still manages a HFN ending.

Mostly though I loved the humor and pop culture references.
“Hey, I could’ve killed him with my brain!”
“Whoa, okay there, River, settle down.”
“Well, I could’ve.”
“Dude. You cried when Artax sank in the Swamp of—”
“That was very traumatic for a kid’s movie!”
“You saw it when you were fifteen.”

I'd love to see Emory and his angel in a longer-length story and how, and if, their relation
Kaje Harper
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author is best known for her amazing high-fantasy series full of drama and angst, but she's also the author of one of my favorite warm, light, short fantasy stories - The Queen's Librarian. This story says up front "Farce (noun)". It's a light, frothy, funny, love-at-first-touch... (almost) story.

Emery is a college student who wakes up in the morgue in a body bag, not dead. While most young guys would've flipped out at that, Emery has been in possession of odd superpowers for his whole lif
Serena Yates
“Waking up dead” may be an interesting way of wording what might happen after death, but it doesn’t make sense nor is it something that happens to anyone. Well, not as far as we know. Except this is the situation that unassuming student Emery faces right after meeting the most gorgeous man with wings he has ever seen. The situation gets more interesting from there, less probable by the page, and I was soon laughing myself through this ridiculously hilarious novella while trying to breathe. What ...more
Leaf of Absence
There’s a warning at the beginning of the book - and readers should heed it.

Do not go in expecting tears or angst or even logic, really. Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper is, as the warning states, a comical (paranormal) short story. It has enough little twists and geeky humor to make it an enjoyable read on, say, a commuter train or bus. Despite being very short (it'll take you an hour, tops), there are unexpected reveals, a multitude of likable characters, and absurd situations that com
Alison
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this. It's a silly farce and it's delightful frothy fun. I read it in one sitting and it was a great way to spend a couple of hours. I laughed a lot. I loved the tone of this book and all the unexplained pop culture references--Doctor Who, The Neverending Story, Firefly, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Do pay attention to the "warning" at the beginning--this is a very silly book that does not take itself seriously. It's short, ridiculous, and wonderful. It's not really a romance, more of an e ...more
Jade
“Emery, please do as your father told you and go tell those people you’re not allowed to be their antichrist.”

I loved these guys ohmygod. Brilliant. This story was adorkable, ridiculous and hilarious.

It was such a fun read. I enjoyed it immensely and couldn't get enough of the characters in this book. Emery's family are the best. Please adopt me, thanks.

Emery is ridiculously unlucky but he has mag- I mean superpowers goddammit.

Then we have John who is just as unlucky and awkward as Emery. Who
Ami
Emery Sutton keeps dying whenever he touches (or being touched) by this gorgeous Reaper – but don’t worry, he also keeps coming back. Of course, Emery knows that he has magic superpower since he’s a little boy, but he never really thinks that one of them is being able to return from the dead. Meanwhile, John, the Reaper, is being tasked by his supervisor to find out why Emery doesn’t stay dead…

The author immediately “warns” the readers that this novella will be a farce – so I did jump in expecti
Kirstin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the type of read that I absolutely needed right now. I laughed and sighed and fell in love a bit.

Emery Sutton was just walking across the street when he saw the man of his dreams...and then he saw the wings. Yeah, that was weird.

Waking up in the morgue, he doesn't feel dead. Well, he must have died, but he's no longer dead. So he gets up, metaphorically dusts himself off and goes about his business, only to find the Reaper has come back. And when he touches Emery again, ugh. Dead.

Now th
Natalia
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joyfully Jay
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

The author explains in the opening of this book that the story is a farce and that remains true all of the way through. The beginning was unique and Emery’s snark and self-deprecating humor had the makings of a fun story. As the story went further along, it lost some of the initial charm for me.

Emery has always been different from his family and when his superpowers emerged, his family just went along with the fact that he had magic. They never questioned it, neve
Melissa
LOVED this!!!!!!!!!!! Hilariously funny with great characters. I HIGHLY recommend. 5 big antichrist stars. 😊

You have to read this and I guarantee you will laugh. I wish there was a sequel. Totally checking out more by this author.
Tinnean
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Too, too funny and very cute. Loved Emery's sister Lisa. She's a hoot. Puppy!
Riina Y.T.
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOLOL— this was just what i needed ❤️
Finnegan
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny
A really funny story, I laughed out loud a few times. Short, sweet and packed a punch.
Scott
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not much to say about this. It was a little dumb and all over the place but pleasant enough to read while sitting in a Japanese garden with no kids around except for two teenage goths taking hundreds of photos of themselves because they're interesting.

It's one of those books that makes tons of nerdy pop culture references instead of giving the characters a personality because they confuse those two things, but as those go, it's one of the better ones. I liked the sister and the mom.
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Carole’s writing reminds me of the great Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams … which in my book is amazing praise. Don’t expect the story to make any sense. It just flows from one ridiculous scene to the next.

Brooke
3.5! Very charming and cute short.
Colin Hardy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This a pleasant enough short read with quite a bit of humour. It is liberally dosed with references to film and familiar cultural points of reference. The most noticeable thing about the story is the relatively large number of characters whose role becomes apparent some way into the story. As such it is sometimes difficult to know who is central to the plot and who are peripheral. Character description is well done for a short story and centres on personality rather than physical description. Th ...more
Tam
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, demons-angels
I think this book was the perfect length but if the author had tried to drag out this kind of farce for very long I think it would have worn thin, but the absolute chaos in Emery's life was hilarious. It's not so much of a romance as I'm not sure they even kiss by the end, but it's the hilarious path getting there. Sometimes the wildly involved families irk me but I never felt that here. I loved Emery's mother and her feminist take on life and even his younger sister was not annoying but support ...more
JenCW
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5 Stars!

Emery Sutton sees a hot guy with wings right before he gets hit by a bus and wakes up in the morgue. He doesn't really know how he's alive again, but figures it has to do with the other odd things about himself. Junior Reaper John really doesn't need his superior unhappy with him, but being told to track Emery down makes things so much better.

I thought this story sounded cute from the blurb and it is. I will admit that it took me a while to appreciate the way the book started. I fou
Serena Yates
UnusualChild{beppy}

Emery dies for the first time and wakes up in the morgue in one of the coolers. He even has a toe tag. Before Emery remembers that he has superpowers that will get him out of his predicament (or magic, as his family calls it), he remembers that he was hit by a bus after he saw a really, really good looking guy. And although that is enough to stop Emery in his tracks, what really caught his attention was the wings that the guy had coming out of his back.
John (not his real name; he doesn'
Katherine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun! Sappy! Super cute! Honestly, the whole thing is kicked off with a definition of the word farce so....no big surprises there. This is ridiculous and everywhere with these two guys who probably aren't supposed to meet (a reaper and a wizard/superhero/???) but each totally have the hots for each other. But every time they meet it ends with John (our reaper) accidentally killing Emery (our guy with powers) causing all sorts of complications. The fact that Emery keeps waking up and the higher up ...more
Melanie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-fJ5

From that review: "While most readers and fans are familiar with Carole Cummings from her darker fantasy or supernatural stories, there are a group of lighter, humor-filled tales that show this author's talent for the weird turn for the farce,  the fantastical bend of the funny bone. Don’t Fear the (Not Really) Grim Reaper by Carole Cummings is just such a story."

For all our revie
John-Torleif  Harris
I laughed out loud several times while reading this

I found this book to be delightfully silly. I think that my favorite had to be the confrontation between Diane Sutton and Administrator Dagmar - and how Mrs Sutton might have been slightly more formidable of the two. There wasn't much of any character development, but I didn't expect it from the author's note at the beginning.
Ike Rose-author
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Expertly executed.

OK, so the the title has Blue Oyster Cult playing in my head. 😂 I was hooked on by the first sentence.
The characters are well developed in a short time and easy to love. Somehow or other, Carole Cummings makes the improbable situation seem.. well, probable.
I hope we are more of Emory & Sam!

• Blasphemy!
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta, #2)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Upside Down
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • How to (Not) Train a Firecat