Start by marking “Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper” as Want to Read:
Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

When unassuming college student Emery Sutton wakes up in the morgue, it takes him a few minutes to remember he has magic (superpowers, damn it!) and free himself from the refrigerated drawer. And the body bag. (God.) It doesn’t take long, though, for him to remember the hot guy with wings he ran into just before a city bus ran into him.

Junior Reaper John must explain to hi
Published January 11th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper

☆ Todd
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

HA! This quote from the book sums itself up perfectly:
It is kind of sappy, the entire situation is right out of a romance novel… a very, very weird romance novel, but it’s also delightfully awkwardly charming.

At 20, college student Emery has had magic for as long as he can remember, but never realized just how powerful his "Superpowers" were, until he woke up in the morgue. After being dead. Well, 'mostly' dead, I suppose.

John (not his real name) was a newly-minted Reaper, who remembered n
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Honestly, I loved this funny, quirky novella.

Don't Fear the (Not Really Grim) Reaper was my first book by Carole Cummings, but now I want to read every single thing she's written.

The story read like a T.J. Klune book, if his comedy books are to your taste. I was actually snicking out loud while reading in bed (my husband was not pleased), and I couldn't put it down. At only 70 pages, I blew right through it, and I left the story wanting MORE.

The family dynamics were adorable, the c
Len Evans Jr
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, paranormal
This short paranormal romance was charming, adorable and totally hilarious! Sam and Emery are truly proof positive that opposites attract and God know they don't come more opposite than these too! Although discounting their core natures these two adorkable geeks are a perfect match! What a truly laugh-out-loud funny and awesome read!
BWT (Belen)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute, funny as hell, with a dual POV, and while it ends a little bit abruptly it still manages a HFN ending.

Mostly though I loved the humor and pop culture references.
“Hey, I could’ve killed him with my brain!”
“Whoa, okay there, River, settle down.”
“Well, I could’ve.”
“Dude. You cried when Artax sank in the Swamp of—”
“That was very traumatic for a kid’s movie!”
“You saw it when you were fifteen.”

I'd love to see Emory and his angel in a longer-length story and how, and if, their relationsh
Serena Yates
“Waking up dead” may be an interesting way of wording what might happen after death, but it doesn’t make sense nor is it something that happens to anyone. Well, not as far as we know. Except this is the situation that unassuming student Emery faces right after meeting the most gorgeous man with wings he has ever seen. The situation gets more interesting from there, less probable by the page, and I was soon laughing myself through this ridiculously hilarious novella while trying to breathe. What ...more
Kaje Harper
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author is best known for her amazing high-fantasy series full of drama and angst, but she's also the author of one of my favorite warm, light, short fantasy stories - The Queen's Librarian. This story says up front "Farce (noun)". It's a light, frothy, funny, love-at-first-touch... (almost) story.

Emery is a college student who wakes up in the morgue in a body bag, not dead. While most young guys would've flipped out at that, Emery has been in possession of odd superpowers for his whole lif
JadeSarah.
“Emery, please do as your father told you and go tell those people you’re not allowed to be their antichrist.”

I loved these guys ohmygod. Brilliant. This story was adorkable, ridiculous and hilarious.

It was such a fun read. I enjoyed it immensely and couldn't get enough of the characters in this book. Emery's family are the best. Please adopt me, thanks.

Emery is ridiculously unlucky but he has mag- I mean superpowers goddammit.

Then we have John who is just as unlucky and awkward as Emery. Who
Kirstin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the type of read that I absolutely needed right now. I laughed and sighed and fell in love a bit.

Emery Sutton was just walking across the street when he saw the man of his dreams...and then he saw the wings. Yeah, that was weird.

Waking up in the morgue, he doesn't feel dead. Well, he must have died, but he's no longer dead. So he gets up, metaphorically dusts himself off and goes about his business, only to find the Reaper has come back. And when he touches Emery again, ugh. Dead.

Now th
Ami
Emery Sutton keeps dying whenever he touches (or being touched) by this gorgeous Reaper – but don’t worry, he also keeps coming back. Of course, Emery knows that he has magic superpower since he’s a little boy, but he never really thinks that one of them is being able to return from the dead. Meanwhile, John, the Reaper, is being tasked by his supervisor to find out why Emery doesn’t stay dead…

The author immediately “warns” the readers that this novella will be a farce – so I did jump in expecti
Joyfully Jay
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

The author explains in the opening of this book that the story is a farce and that remains true all of the way through. The beginning was unique and Emery’s snark and self-deprecating humor had the makings of a fun story. As the story went further along, it lost some of the initial charm for me.

Emery has always been different from his family and when his superpowers emerged, his family just went along with the fact that he had magic. They never questioned it, neve
Riina Y.T.
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOLOL— this was just what i needed ❤ ...more
JenCW
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5 Stars!

Emery Sutton sees a hot guy with wings right before he gets hit by a bus and wakes up in the morgue. He doesn't really know how he's alive again, but figures it has to do with the other odd things about himself. Junior Reaper John really doesn't need his superior unhappy with him, but being told to track Emery down makes things so much better.

I thought this story sounded cute from the blurb and it is. I will admit that it took me a while to appreciate the way the book started. I found
Katherine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun! Sappy! Super cute! Honestly, the whole thing is kicked off with a definition of the word farce so....no big surprises there. This is ridiculous and everywhere with these two guys who probably aren't supposed to meet (a reaper and a wizard/superhero/???) but each totally have the hots for each other. But every time they meet it ends with John (our reaper) accidentally killing Emery (our guy with powers) causing all sorts of complications. The fact that Emery keeps waking up and the higher up ...more
Melanie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-fJ5

From that review: "While most readers and fans are familiar with Carole Cummings from her darker fantasy or supernatural stories, there are a group of lighter, humor-filled tales that show this author's talent for the weird turn for the farce,  the fantastical bend of the funny bone. Don’t Fear the (Not Really) Grim Reaper by Carole Cummings is just such a story."

For all our revie
Mandy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am now bitter that I don’t have minions. Or a goat. But especially minions because who the fuck wants to weed.
I absolutely loved this story except it was way too short. I snorted and howled through the whole thing and am grateful that I peed before reading.
Jennifer Newman
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hilarious, sweet, awkward, and very well written. Love the author's style.
Joe DH
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story

Would give five stars but the price for such a short story is very high. Otherwise a funny, lighthearted and somewhat sappy tale.
Michael Acton