Start by marking “Whirlwind (Asian Saga, #6)” as Want to Read:
Whirlwind (Asian Saga, #6)

Whirlwind

(Asian Saga: Chronological Order #6)

Librarian's note: An alternate cover edition can be found here

Presents the story of three weeks in Tehran in February 1979: three weeks of fanaticism, passion, self-sacrifice and heartbreak. Caught between the revolutionaries and the forces of international intrigue is a team of professional pilots. They are ordered to flee to safety with their helicopters.
Published December 2nd 1999 by Morrow (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Whirlwind, please sign up.

Matthew
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok

Since I was in high school, James Clavell has loomed largely among my guiltier pleasures. Somewhere circa age sixteen I plowed through Shogun and Tai-Pan one summer, and came away from them heady with Orientalism: because these books are, really, Orientalism at its pulpy contemporary finest (if that isn't an oxymoron). In them, the European hero is thrown into an exotic, spice-scented eastern culture where, through a combination of courage, canny and luck, he is embroiled in conspiracies, admitt
Mirjam Penning
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iran
I'm not quick at giving books five stars, but I feel this one deserved the best rating I could give. From beginning to end it was a wonderful read. I couldn't find any part that was boring, too detailed or bungled.
To be honoust, although it really were a lot of pages, I still felt I wanted to have more. It isn't a quick read, but I liked that as well.

A lot of characters played a role in the book. That could be a problem but in this case all of them were worked out well and came to life. The same
Finbar
Jul 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My least favorite of Clavell's novels, but still worth the read for fans of the Asia Saga. It is related but not, which bings up mixed feelings for me. It kind of feels like Clavell was using a familiar model to tell a modern tale, but that he had added it on after the story had already ended.

From the perspective that Shogun and Whirlwind are bookends on the story told in Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, and Noble House this fits the bill. I think I would have preferred that Clavell use a different framework
Hasham Rasool
The Asian Saga: a tale of Iran's revolution.
Clews Gary
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OUTSTANDING ... all his books. Historical and cultutal insight of Japan, China and Persia (Iran). Story lines that weave within weaves ... crisp personalities of swashbuckling adventures of man's struggle against overwhelming odds ... faith hanging on a hope and a prayer.
Anyone looking for a riveting series of books ... James Clavell is your man.
A great loss to historical fiction upon his death.
Note - Mr. Clavell was, himself, a Japanese POW in in WWII. After the war, stuck in a slump looking fo
Christian D.  Orr
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clavell fans, thriller fans, historical fiction fans
Four novels in James Clavell’s Asian Saga down, one (“Gai-Jin”) to go. I first started reading “Whirlwind” when it was newly released back in 1987 when I was a mere 12 years old (but at that point, already a firmly entrenched Clavell fan from having read “King Rat” and “Noble House” and watched the “Shogun” TV miniseries), but got lost in the shuffle and didn’t get around to finishing it. So, about 3 or 4 months ago, all these years later, I finally re-started it from scratch AND finally finishe ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Whirlwind was absolutely horrid! Not only was the story out of focus; it was simply a complete mess of characters and settings. I thought this would be similar to his other fantastic stories, (Noble House, Tai-Pan), in quality of plot and character only to be sorely disappointed. I would not recommend this novel to an enemy!
Brian Poole
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
It took me years to be able to read Whirlwind.

It’s not that I was putting it off. James Clavell’s Asian Saga is one of my favorite book series ever. I started with Noble House and made my way through all the other entries over the years. The late British author did an amazing job of dropping his Western characters into an exotic Eastern milieu. Yet he never romanticized that kind of European incursion into Asia. His Asian characters were as complex and fully realized as his European and American
Laura Noggle
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this one last, and it took me a long time to really get into it. Set in Iran, I was a little put off ... until I caught on about the helicopters, lovers, spies, fanatics, revolutionaries, friends and betrayers -- another carefully woven masterpiece.
Timothy James Dean
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I was fortunate enough to be mentored and befriended by James Clavell, and value his work and opinions over many. Unfortunately, this was a departure for him, and my least favorite of his works.
Diana
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Шварцвалд и Блек Форест буквално означават едно и също, но за сведение на преводача принципно първото е общоприетото наименование.
Kelsey
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was a little disappointed with "Whirlwind." While it's been years, I remember loving "Shogun," and thought I'd be wrapped up in this story as well.
This book was fine, simply OK, but it is hard to read a 1,000 plus page mediocre book.
Part of the problem for me was the characters. There were so many of them and and they all seemed so alike, it took several hundred pages before I could distinguish them. With so many characters we never really get to any of them that deeply and I never felt really
Peter Kavanagh
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clavell specialized in the epic and this book is epic in scale. Nevertheless, a good editor could have made all the difference with this book. Having said that, the book is largely successful in that it works as a thriller with great cliffhanger moments and tense action scenes. The moral universe is very black and white though. There could also have been a more realistic examination of the real reasons for the revolution. The right wing commentary on the British political scene was a bit patheti ...more
Chris Fluit
I finished re-reading the second of my four pillar books- favorite books that I re-read every 2 or 3 years. This was probably the 9th or 10th time I've read this one. It's amazing how you notice new things each time you read a book, even a book with which you're exceedingly familiar.

By the way, I highly recommend this novel to anyone- it's about a Scottish helicopter company in Iran during the Islamic Revolution of 1979 and it's fascinating to see how foreigners survive in a country that has su
John
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fictionalized account of Iran at the time of Ayatollah Khomeni's takeover
James Clavell portrays Iranians much in the same way that he portrays Asians - secretly devious. They all have three levels of beliefs, their public beliefs, their private beliefs which they share with those closest to them, and their real beliefs which they only think in their most secret hearts. When they gain a position of power and influence they all turn out to be quite devious and recalcitrant, no matter how sweet-natured and friendly they seemed before. As always Clavell's heroes are the ...more
Jim Pozenel
Oct 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
King Rat and Shogun are two of my favorite books, so it's not as though I dislike James Clavell.

I couldn't finish this book. All of the male characters were so similar, it was difficult to distinguish one from the other. Every one them were ridiculously macho. I read well over 300 pages but felt no desire to return to the book. I donated it to Goodwill. I wouldn't pass it along to a friend. Dreadful book!
Dale
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have thoughly enjoyed every James Clavell book I have read. This too, but about Iran this time, not the Far East.
David Highton
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolute monster of a novel, over 1250 pages and 3 and a bit days of Beach reading. It tells the story of the Iranian revolution of 1979 using a fictional firm of helicopter services, based all over different parts of the country. Including two pilots with Iranian wives and two with their expat wives in country. A vast scope to cover over a period of 10 days or so, including a tumultuous end phase.
Jeruen
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Finally, I have finished James Clavell's Asian Saga! I have begun reading this series of six books, back in 2009. I read one giant book every year, and I finally finished all six of them, starting with Shogun , Tai-Pan , Gai-Jin , King Rat , and Noble House .

Unlike the first five books, this story is not set in East Asia, but rather, in Iran, in 1979. There are connections to the families and companies that were introduced in the previous five books. But for the most part, the narrative he
Brendan
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, my father had a boxed set of James Clavell paperbacks on the shelf, consisting of Shogun, Tai-Pan, Noble House, and King Rat. Though I'd often read the books my father had after he had finished reading them (heavy on the Follett, Ludlum, Higgins, and Forsythe) I don’t remember giving the Clavell’s much thought or even picking them up, maybe just because they were so . . . big.

However, when I heard the much ballyhooed Shogun mini-series was coming to television, I thought I'd read th
Leslie Smith
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The ending was too long, but this was a fascinating book -- well worth the time it took to read it. The extensive cast of characters were well-drawn and individualized, the discussion of events in Iran in 1979 when Ayatollah Khomeini took power illuminating. One of Clavell's best books by far. Clavell writes whoppers. Epic whoppers. One James Clavell novel deforests major tracts of land, I'm sure. This one, which took me 31 days to read (!), was none the less worth it.

Whirwind takes place in Ir
Blair
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction, anyone curious about how religion can mess up a good thing
While this novel didn't quite usurp Shogun as my favorite of the Asian Saga, it came pretty damn close by the end. The only reason it gets four stars is because of a very slow start and a few shaky points here and there. The entirety of Book Four was a great blend of intensity, suspense, heartbreak, and catharsis. If you've liked Clavell's other books, you'll like this one. If you've never read any of them but have an interest in historical fiction... read Shogun or King Rat first.

A major bit of
Paul
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks
As with the other novels in the Asian Saga, Clavell definitely has a tv writer's flare for drama and character development, which makes for an engaging story. I do wish I knew more about the Iranian revolution, though, because I found it a bit confusing and hard to follow who was on what side (though possibly that's just faithfully recording what it was like to be on the ground at that time).

This book and Shogun seem like the oddballs in the series; the others all deal a lot more directly with
Joe
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Of Clavell's books it has been my experience that this one is the hardest one to find in stores here in the US. Bad memories of the Iranian revolution maybe?

Whirlwind is classic Clavell, for all that means both good and bad. His hero's and villians were always incredibly macho, the action always intense, and the cast of characters enormous. As with his other books Clavell created an adventure story out of actual historical events, in this case the fall of the Shah and the rise of the Islamic Rev
Marat Beiner
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fewwwwwwwwww.
It's over.
It was probably my longest read ever, and not only because of the book's length, as I read a few books with similar length, but it was a difficult read as well.
In order to understand better what I read, I had to come back from 23% mark, and start reading it again.
The story itself was pretty good, but what made it difficult for me to read, is the multiple scattered characters, with multiple scattered and confusing story lines. I just couldn't make a connection between thos
Thomas Strömquist
Teheran 1979. Asia, yes, but the inclusion in the "Asian saga" is more due to the identity of the author than anything else. If "King Rat" is a bit of the odd one out, this is more of a sore thumb. But of course, that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the book. But the fact that it is by far the longest book I've ever finished even though it failed my "capture something of an interest at a hundred pages in"-rule does mean something. I put two stars, since I did finish it and, even th ...more
John Kitcher
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Clavell was about 70 when he wrote this. I can just imagine him sat in front of his type writer, cracking his fingers thinking how he's going to spend his next book-related income on a trip to Margate, some gingerbread, and the pools. The story is fragmented, with different characters in different locations involved in each chapter, bound together in a rush (with some sticky tape) at the end.

Usually Clavell is pretty good at wrapping things up and leaving you with a strong feel-good factor. The
Krista
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The story of several British and American expatriots living in Iran in 1979, at the time of the return of the Ayatollah. Fascinating insights into the Iranian mindset. Suspensful storyline. 25 yrs later I still reflect on this book.
Cathy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book seemed quite racist to me. I felt dirty reading it.
Dpsroshan
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-fiction
The author paints a magical story entwined in Iran, that is truly captivating like you lived through it.
  • The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)
  • Leaders
  • Masterpieces of Murder: And Then There Were None / Death on the Nile / The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Witness for the Prosecution
  • Eyewitness to History
  • Mexico
  • The Lion's Grave: Dispatches from Afghanistan
  • French Kiss
  • Mitla Pass
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • No Deals, Mr. Bond (John Gardner's Bond, #6)
  • The Parsifal Mosaic
  • Only When I Larf
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • Dreaming Metal
  • The Middle Kingdom (Chung Kuo, #1)
  • Day of Wrath
James Clavell, born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell was a British novelist, screenwriter, director and World War II veteran and POW. Clavell is best known for his epic Asian Saga series of novels and their televised adaptations, along with such films as The Great Escape, The Fly and To Sir, with Love.

--------------------------

James Clavell. (2007, November 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Asian Saga: Chronological Order (6 books)
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
  • Tai-Pan (Asian Saga, #2)
  • Gai-Jin (Asian Saga, #3)
  • King Rat (Asian Saga, #4)
  • Noble House (Asian Saga, #5)