Start by marking “Forgotten Bones” as Want to Read:
Forgotten Bones

Forgotten Bones

(Dead Remaining #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,214 ratings  ·  410 reviews
An unlikely pair teams up to investigate a brutal murder in a haunting thriller that walks the line between reality and impossibility.

When small-town police officers discover the grave of a young boy, they're quick to pin the crime on a convicted felon who lives nearby. But when it comes to murder, Officer Susan Marlan never trusts a simple explanation, so she's just getti
Published August 1st 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Bones

really liked it 4.00  ·

Dee Arr
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The thriller I was hoping to read never materialized, which was unfortunate, because I liked the main characters and this could have been a good story.

The author flip-flopped back and forth between Eric and Susan, offering two likable people with realistic problems. The clues were consistently laid out for the reader to see, and it was an inevitability that the two would eventually meet. If Ms. Barz felt she was concealing the truth of the murders and the murderer from us, she was wrong. I am us
Ceecee
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most positive thing that I can say about this is that I like that one of the main characters Eric is a schizophrenic, who with the aid of appropriate medication is able to live very successfully with the condition and most people would be totally unaware. I also like the other main character of Susan who is dogged, determined and caring.

Unfortunately, the book is so up and down in terms of pace I found it hard not to nod off at times. For example, the laborious detail about Eric’s geology c
Amanda
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really need to start DNFing books, so I don't have to write ranty reviews. I prefer to write happy reviews for books I enjoyed.

Let's talk about the only aspect of this book I really enjoyed and that is the character Eric. He's unique with his schizophrenia. His ex-wife is a complete douche canoe but thankfully he doesn't pacify her at all. He was a great likable character for the most part.

Story felt a bit boring at times, 53% in and the "unlikely duo that team up " , according to the books'
Siobhan
I love a good crime fiction mixed with the paranormal and was super curious to see how Vivian Barz’s Forgotten Bones would play out. As it’s the first in a series, I was eager for a new series that would have me hooked.

I’ll be honest and say I was unsure at first. I wasn’t sucked in and I did consider putting this one aside. It did not grip me in the way I’d expected, giving us more about the lives of the characters than about the crime. Although I wasn’t sucked in as deep as I would have liked,
Caotico09
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
What you should know before reading:
1) Forgotten Bones is not your typical crime novel. There is not a ton of crime solving, leads, or potential suspects- instead it focuses on the daily lives of two MC's who somewhat haphazardly stumble onto clues.
2) The book does include paranormal activity (ghosts).
3) I found the book to be rather slow, for example Eric's introduction chapter spends pages and pages to say two things: he has schizophrenia and his wife cheated on him.
4) The Police detective i
A Wondrous Bookshelf
Forgotten Bones is not your average crime thriller, and I will go over why. The premise of the book is excellent. Susan, a young detective upon responding to a car accident scene, comes across the body of a young child. Police quickly attributes the crime to a local pedophile. However, Susan is suspicious that there is more to the story and decides to embark on an investigation on her own. Parallel to Susan's story we meet Eric, a geology professor going through a turbulent divorce and moves to ...more
Jose
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was offered an advance copy in exchange for a review.

“Forgotten Bones” was a genuinely good read! The story centers around Eric and Susan, a college professor and Police Officer respectively, and an ongoing child murderer case in the small town of Perrick, CA.

The book has great pacing, making it an easy and enjoyable read. I loved how it went back and forth between the two main characters, giving you just the right amount of information about them during their parts and not making you feel ov
Cathy Ryan
Skipping over the prologue, which I thought was too long and actually unnecessary since the characters don’t feature again, Police Officer Susan Marlan responds to a road traffic accident where the decades old remains of a child’s body is discovered buried next to a telephone pole that had been knocked down. A local pedophile recently released from prison is deemed responsible for the child’s death although, after talking to the medical examiner and interviewing his mother, Susan isn’t completel ...more
Darcia Helle
I'm not reviewing this book because I couldn't bring myself to read more than 30 pages. What follows is just me telling you why I so thoroughly rejected this one. Be aware that what I'm saying might be considered "spoilers", though all of this happens within the first pages.

We start off with a couple driving. The male is giving a sober monologue of complaints, while the female is drunk and, for reasons unknown, totally turned on. (His ranting is sexy to her?) They're driving on unfamiliar roads
Paul
Actual review: 3.5 stars.

I was offered a pre-publication Kindle copy to read and review.

"Forgotten Bones" is a fast read, a small town serial killer mystery with a supernatural twist and a pair of engaging protagonists (the man is especially intriguing because he's schizophrenic and inclined to hallucinate ... only in this case his disturbing visions aren't just coming from his own imagination).

Some of Vivian Barz's narrative threads had predictable outcomes. The police chief, Ed, is recognizabl
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
I really enjoyed this book it was a mix between a ghost story and a murder mystery! There were two main characters Eric a schizophrenic who is going through a divorce and to say it’s messy would be an understatement, Susan a police officer on the local police force. After a car accident the body of a small child is discovered and it’s on the property of an ex con , whose also a know child predator. Once the police start investigating over twenty bodies are discovered , and all except one are chi ...more
Lynne Marshall
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgotten Bones was a unique and engaging tale. I'm not crazy about serial killer stories in general, but this one pulled me in and kept me interested from Chapter One. Susan is a young but perceptive small town police officer. Eric is a schizophrenic with one heck of a backstory, who is new in town and who has no clue what he is about to get sucked into. I rooted for him from the beginning. The little boy ghost insists that Susan and Eric put the pieces of the mystery together to finally catch ...more
T'leah
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost rated it 3 stars because the writing is rough around the edges. Especially in the prologue. BUT it is her first published novel according to her profile so I went with 4 because her character writing is spot on and there were some scenes (ahem the horse) that really had creep factor. All in all it is a good little ghost story and I look forward to seeing her develop as an author.
Mkittysamom
I had no idea where this book was going..

I got really into it, once Susan entered the plot. I really love the supernaturalness, and ghosts interacting with the characters! I definitely did not see the ending coming either! This was a great mystery!
Jana
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5. The plot and twist were extremely predictable. That being said this book was different than your typical thriller and I loved the supernatural aspect to it.

I look forward to more from this author.
Christopher Williams
I enjoyed this one. Not an author I have read before but well written with likeable characters in Eric and Susan. The plot was good and almost impossible to guess what had happened. Certainly maintained interest right to the end.
Carol
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but at times entertaining mystery. Not impressed with the writing style of the author.
Carolyn
Great premise, odd pacing, entertaining.
Daelene
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill B
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sheri
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eerie book, somewhat predictable in portions. I found it unbelievable that the police officer Susan, would not have problems with the mentally disturbed man. But other than that, it was a very good book and although predictable, well-written and the characters also well-written I did find myself reading it quickly and I do recommend it for lovers of thrillers.

I'd like to thank the author/publisher/netgalley for the opportunity to read this book and exchange for a fair and honest review.
Mel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh I really like this book!

It has the perfect mix of mental health positivity, paranormal activity, and detective work. The characters are well fleshed out, and even if I guessed the "twist" it didn't make the ending any less enjoyable.
Marlene
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Forgotten Bones is definitely not a book to be read with the lights off. Or alone in the middle of the night. Or anyplace where it can feel like the creepy-crawlies might be closing in.

This one sits at the intersection between mystery/thriller, horror and paranormal – and that’s not a comfortable place to be in the dark. It’s a fascinating place, in the thrills and chills kind of way, but not exactly comfy or cozy.

A place to get really, really to get sucked
Sophie (Love and Literature)
This book is very different to what I usually go for -It’s the first horror/mystery book that I have read and I have very mixed opinions on this book. I gave this book a rating of two stars, although towards the end it does creep very slightly into 3-star territory (yet I’m still sticking my two-star ranking!).

The story is focused around the mystery of who murdered the 14 (and counting!) children found in a local farm. Susan, a young police officer, hopes to make her mark in the police station b
Billie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When small-town police officers discover the grave of a young boy, they’re quick to pin the crime on a convicted criminal who lives nearby. But when it comes to murder, Officer Susan Marlan never trusts a simple explanation, so she’s just getting started.
Meanwhile, college professor Eric Evans hallucinates a young boy in overalls: a symptom of his schizophrenia—or
M
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Decent police procedural in this word-padded novel. You can find it, too.

I finished this leisurely-paced “Kindle First Read,” so I could write a review. I’m a crime fiction fan who likes police procedurals and often reads mysteries with paranormal and/or supernatural elements. This book has decent crime-fiction bones, which is smothered under scads of internal monologues, personal drama and melodrama, plus miscellaneous information. Whew.

The POV characters are Officer Susan Marlan and Eric Eva
Tori Zieger
Boundless Book Reviews
A body popping up isn't a big deal to a cop, but when it happens in a small town, it's just that. Susan is called out on a traffic accident, and soon she is in the midst of a mystery with a young boy's buried body. Soon that young boy turns into more buried children on a local farm nearby. Eric has schizophrenia but has control of his disease. Soon enough, after some major personal issues, he finds himself not so in control when he begins seeing a young boy. As the fates would have it, he soon t ...more
Ukgardenfiend
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Is this a ghost story or a murder mystery? It is up to the reader to decide but it encompasses both. We have a ghost - a very persistent and quite forceful ghost; but we also have a murder and mystery. Who is the ghost? And what happened to him? He was murdered, but how and by who, and where?
Set in small town USA with a very small policeforce and not much money, we have female police officer with stickability and persistence and curiosity. All of which gets her into serious trouble as she tries
Vivian Barz grew up on a farm in a small Northern California town of less than three thousand people. With plenty of fresh air and space to let her imagination run wild, she began penning mysteries at a young age. One of Barz’s earliest works, a story about a magical scarecrow with a taste for children’s blood, was read to her third-grade class during show-and-tell. It received mixed reviews.

Vivi
“And thank God she wasn’t one of them. Danica squinted. “Wha’ Starbucks?” 0 likes
“I really don’t have a plan when I sit down to write—other than having a basic outline. The best way I can describe it is that I just start typing and let the story go where it needs to” 0 likes