Start by marking “The Library of Lost Things” as Want to Read:
The Library of Lost Things

The Library of Lost Things

From the moment she first learned to read, literary genius Darcy Wells has spent most of her time living in the worlds of her books. There, she can avoid the crushing reality of her mother’s hoarding and pretend her life is simply ordinary. But when a new property manager becomes more active in the upkeep of their apartment complex, the only home Darcy has ever known ...more
Published October 8th 2019 by Inkyard Press

Start your review of The Library of Lost Things
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Four in the name of romantic book nerd and hoarders’ love, lyrical, family-troubled, emotional, heart-warming, making you sigh incessantly stars!

If you’re not a YA romance fan, what is still intriguing about this book?

-Complex mother and daughter relationship: Check!

-Amazingly developed real best supporting character and sidekick: Marisol’s existence on the book: Check!

-References from the great classic authors from Bronte, Austen to Shakespeare and bringing a different and creative approach to
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
4/5

E-arc received from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

"Since kindergarten, my mind has been a story bank. I read and read, and I remember."

When I first read about this book, I knew I had to read it and was lucky enough to receive an e-ARC of it. I believe it is safe to say that the majority of the pages on my Kindle are highlighted with quotes I loved, moments that warmed or broke my heart and, just in general, how great this story is. Even though the main
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
psst! I'm hosting a cover reveal for The Library of Lost Things on Monday, 9AM EST so GET PUMPED AHHH

it's so gorgeous, y'all aren't prepared for the bookish glory that awaits you!
Tucker
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
books about books...

IT'S BOOKCEPTION
Larry H
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Sometimes in order to write our own story we need to find ourselves first.

Darcy Jane Wells lives a life immersed in stories and books. Other than her best friend Marisol, books have been her closest companions since childhood, because she finds that other people’s stories are better than the story of her own life. She goes everywhere with at least one book in her possession, even to parties and other social events. (Sound at all familiar?)

Her mother is a hoarder. She’s a perfectly
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Library of Lost Things
Series: Standalone
Author: Laura Taylor Namey
Release date: October 8, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: YA romance

He was the home for all my words, even the ones I hadn’t defined yet. He was the home for all my stories, even the ones I hadn’t imagined.

This book had me at "literary genius heroine." I loved the secret gift she had for memorizing passages of her favorite books. Darcy Wells is exactly the type of character I have a weakness for. Shy, intelligent, not exactly
Stephanie Wilcox
This was... Not great.

Darcy (haha Pride and Prejudice reference because she's soooo bookish!!) felt like the epitome of the whole "not like other girls" subgenre of YA I thought we were years past. Reading this book, everything about the tone, plot, and character development felt incredibly dated--largely because I haven't read anything written in this style since I was 13 or 14 (almost a decade!).

Here's the basic idea:

Darcy is the sole child of a single mother, who also struggles with
Jacqueline Firkins
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC through NetGalley so I could dive--or rather fly--into this charming book.

I love a good love story and I thoroughly enjoyed my read. TLOLT has lots to recommend it beyond its central romantic arc. 3 generations of family drama expand the story and lay the groundwork for an engaging mystery. The answers tie seamlessly into the main character's arc of self discovery and self acceptance. There are plenty of literary references (both direct and implied) within the
Nadhira Satria
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
I got the arc!!! Reading this right NOW
Karen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance, arc, ya
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a charming and sweet book! I love books about books and book lovers.

I loved Darcy and her amazing memory about books. She essentially lives inside the books she loves, and would love nothing more than to spend all her time reading books instead of socializing. And I mean. Wow, that was me in high school so 100% can relate. Not that she's socially awkward (usually) - she just takes
Inkyard Press
Categories
Young Adult Family, Young Adult Romance, Young Adult Social Themes
Jaye Berry
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks, contemporary, 2019
I wanted to love this book so much but unfortunately I just had too many problems with it.

The Library of Lost Things is about a girl named Darcy who loves books. One day at her job at a bookstore, a boy from school named Asher walks into her life. But Darcy has a secret- she's dealing with her mother's crushing hoarding problem and with a nosy new apartment manager, time is running out on her ability to hide it.

I don't know what it is with books about characters who love to read but they always
Mom_Loves_Reading
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh! This book was literally just what I needed to perk up a rough couple of days. The cover alone makes me happy! Those colors, the books, the fun font...a triple threat for this book lover! "The Library of Lost Things" gave me all the feels and left me sighing with a warmed soul. It's both a heart-warming and heart-breaking coming of age story that also centers around books and a bookstore. I adored Darcy and could totally relate to her "living in" the books she loved and being socially ...more
Marie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Real rating: 4,5 stars.
What a gem, friends. One of these soft, yet deep contemporaries with this slow-burning love story, kickass incredible best friend, complex mother daughter relationship and all the books. I loved this so, so, SO much 200% recommend it.
Full review coming soon!

Thank you to Inkyard Press for sending me an ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Jooke
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I have to start with saying: everyone should have a best friend like Marissol. She's quick on her feet, loyal, artistic and funny (except her strange habit of storing gum on her bracelet was a bit disturbing).
Asher was just a likable/interesting character, handy, patient, not shallow, good listener... and Tess made a refreshing character during the whole story.
But the lead character, Darcy... well I don't really know what to say. In a way I felt for her, but in another way she was just too much
Lisa
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
I ADORED this super sweet and swoony contemporary! I loved Darcy and her mind for words and books and her best friend Marisol, who's one of the best written MC best friends I've ever read. Her life and family just jump off the page.

The romance is lovely and a tad bit melodramatic at times, but it all fit into the context of the story. There's one part I wish there had been more time devoted to (view spoiler), but overall this book gave me all the
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Darcy’s real life was sometimes difficult to face, and she therefore, she chose to live in her fictional worlds. During her senior year, not only did Darcy meet someone, who could be a real life romantic interest, but her financial and living situation were both threatened. The real world had begun seeping in, and Darcy had to decide if she was willing to take the risk, and open herself up, or remain hidden behind the wall she erected to protect herself and her mother.

How could I resist a
Crystal
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first official read of 2020 was The Library of Lost Things by @laurataylornamey and it was absolutely beautiful!

Laura’s writing is elegant and poetic. It has numerous references to other pieces of literature; which I’m sure all fellow bookworms would appreciate! I am totally planning to read Peter Pan because of this.

It includes a blooming romance, true friendship, a complex mother/daughter relationship, as well as mental illness. On top of all of that, our main character is a teenager whose
BookGypsy
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy named after Mr Darcy works at a book store and lives her life through books. She blocks everything out, including her compulsive mother. When Asher walks into the book store and steals her heart Darcy doesn't know what to do. Romance and love only existed through her books. I really loved this being a book loving introvert myself. This was a heart felt, emotional and complex story about a book worm, mother daughter relationships, love and hope. There is so much in this story. I really ...more
dani
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was extraordinary. being able to read another person's bookish life was incredible.
darcy (p&p reference i-) developed as a character throughout the whole book. having a strained relationship with her mother, something new for me; and then, expanding her horizons, learning to voice her opinions, to speak aloud to her mother and explain what she felt; was hypnotizing and badass.
not only this, asher was the perfect romantic interest for her. someone who valued what she said and thought,
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Those last few chapters had me swallowing my tears. This is a wonderful book. It has a romance yes, but it's much bigger than that. I loved all the characters and how family relationships are portrayed. I felt really connected to Darcy.

The audiobook was great, though there were some parts in Spanish that didn't sound well. Regardless, really engaging.
Robin Bonne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This was cute, but sometimes the main character was cringey.
Kim
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Darcy Wells is a young girl who has a big secret at home. Her life ultimately revolves around this secret and the only people who know about it besides her mother and her best friend and grandparents.

Darcy has been graced with a photographic memory which allows her to read most any book from memory. Her life very much revolves around books and words.

Enter Asher, a guy who graduated from her school last year, that suffered an awful injury. Asher has some secrets of his own but starts to spend a
Kay
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me a free eARC in exchange for an honest review

Attention all bookworms! To anyone looking for a book about another bookish person, I have found the one. I knew from the synopsis that Darcy loves reading, but reading this book, I realized that she really loves reading and it made me just love her and this book so much! In fact, her bookishness kind of reminded me of Cath from Fangirl, but mostly it just reminded me of myself.

Darcy would fit
Jennifer Camiccia
This book was amazing!! Ioved Darcy and could completely relate to how she buries herself in books. The love story is slow and deliberate and very worth the wait. And the very real problem Darcy’s mother has of hoarding is addressed in a knowledgeable and sympathetic way. I loved this and can’t wait for the authors next book!! ...more
Joy Gerbode
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this book is my very favorite type, i.e. a book that is about, refers to, and utilizes other books, this one is special because it allows those books to be the catalyst to the resolution to the story. It is a great coming of age story, surrounded by several good books, and quotes from each. It is about a teenage girl with very special abilities when it comes to books. She lives with her hoarder mother, and has to find solutions to some intense problems. She does this with the help of a ...more
Mikayla Tewksbury
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a light and easy contemporary! I truly adored every single second of it.

The Library of Lost Things focuses on Darcy, a bibliophile who prefers to stay hidden on the sidelines instead of being in the spotlight. Darcy is hiding a secret, however: her mom is a compulsive shopper and has an addiction to hoarding her purchases. Darcy finds her safe haven in her bedroom, the one place where her mom's hoarding hasn't touched and she can find solace in her books.

However, along comes
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
THE LIBRARY OF LOST THINGS is one of the best books to be released in the contemporary young adult genre this year! Full of meaningful moments of friendship, self discovery, family, and mental health, it runs the gamut of emotions. Add to all that lovable characters, sweet romance, and references to books woven through the pages, and it's a booklover's dream. Highly recommended!

I never know what exactly I'll get when I pick up a new contemporary YA release, so I seem to begin with some
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
"Holding a real book is like holding something alive. There's the grit of the pages between your fingers as you turn them. The edges get soft and worn. With a real book, you feel the weight of the story more."

Darcy lives for books. She's the definition of a booknerd. A quality that Darcy has is she memorizes stories from beginning to end--she can quote almost any book. To Darcy, her books are her comfort zone and the escape she needs from real life. Unfortunately, real life is becoming too real.
Jenni
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray for YA romance that is fun to read and doesn’t make my eyes roll constantly. It did have some of the usual tropes (main character is different from all of the other girls, adults are fairly useless, rich kids hosting awesome parties), but it has enough good going for it that I didn’t mind.

Darcy is nearly 18, super smart, book-obsessed, and keeping a big secret: the single mom that raised her after her father left their volatile relationship before her birth is a hoarder. Darcy’s best
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • She's the Worst
  • Suggested Reading
  • Would Like to Meet
Laura is a Cuban-American Californian who can be found haunting her favorite coffee shops, drooling over leather jackets, and wishing she was in London or Paris. She lives in San Diego with her husband and two superstar children.

This former teacher writes young adult novels about quirky teens learning to navigate life and love. Her debut, THE LIBRARY OF LOST THINGS will be published 10/08/19 from