Start by marking “The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)

The Map of Moments

(Hidden Cities #2)

What if you were given a map to a magic that could change the worst moment of your life...for a price?

From two all-stars of dark fantasy, Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon, coauthors of Mind the Gap, comes this terrifying new thriller of magic and dangerous passions, where an ordinary man searches the magical landscape of an extraordinary city for the chance of a lifetime.
Published (first published December 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Map of Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map of Moments

Start your review of The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)
Richard Derus
Okay. Here's the deal: You get to go back in time to fix the worst, awfulest thing you've ever experienced. You have to go through some rancid goo to get there, and it will stick to you. But you get to change something that's shredding your insides every day of your life.

Do you do it? Who could resist, right?

After reading this book, I'd say you'd hesitate a good long while before answering. Change comes only at a price. Prices have a way of changing, even though you think you know what they are.
Janice Bonczek
A very cool sequel to Mind the Gap, also by Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon. Although these two books are both part of the "Hidden Cities" series, they share neither characters or location. It seems that each book in this series is to be set in a different city, and each story will be about the hidden "heart", or "spirit" of the city. Quite an interesting premise.

While the first book dealt with an actual hidden city beneath London, in old abandoned tube tunnels and bomb shelters; the "hidden
Charlie
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-stories
The Map of Moments is a beautifully rendered journey through the city of New Orleans. The storytelling captures the mystery of the city, as well as provides a unique historical perspective. The main character returns to New Orleans to attend a funeral post-Katrina. The aftermath of the 'bitch,' as Katrina is called, is chilling but the spirit is enduring. The reader must trust in the magic of the city in order to believe the adventure that occurs to the main character. Through a series of moment ...more
Fran
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read books by this author before, but the title caught my eye, along with a magical/mysterious take on New Orleans post Katrina. Compelling, but I found the writing to be less than stellar.
Jessica Bronder
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Corbett is a history professor at Tulane University in New Orleans. There he meets a beautiful young girl and falls passionately in love with her until he catches her with another man. He leave New Orleans to return to Boston just before hurricane Katrina strikes. After that, Corinne, Gabrielle’s cousin contacts Max to come back for Gabys funeral.

Just after the funeral Max is approached by a man that offers him a map of New Orleans magical moments. If Max follows the map he will find himsel
Daniplx
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to read and really felt like a slog to get through, but if you ask me why it felt that way, I couldn't tell you. The premise was really intriguing and it was a shorter book, but something fell very flat for me and I couldn't wait to finish it (which I only did due to a reading challenge).
Amber
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brett Grossmann
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good but that should be no surprise. Golden makes writing look easy. This pair of writers do good work together but it's Golden that has the magic.
Melanie
Donated to Friends of the Library 2019
Erika
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A very interesting book, and I enjoyed the premise. I'm interested in reading the first in the series now and seeing where they take this idea in the future.

It was dark but not overwhelming so and while magic was a huge part of the story, it was used quite subtly and was never overwhelming, it felt quite practical and believable.

However, for a story set in New Orleans, the city itself never felt real, it could almost have been set ANYWHERE and was just labeled New Orleans.

Also the characters wer
Michelle
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an interesting book set in post-Katrina (two months) New Orleans. Max left New Orleans months earlier after his girlfriend Gabrielle broke his heart. Now he finds out that she's been killed in the hurricane and he returns for her funeral. He's approached by a man who makes the intriguing proposal that Max visit various Moments in New Orleans' history in preparation for stepping back in time to rescue Gabrielle. If he hadn't been so drunk, Max would probably have just walked away but when ...more
Caressa
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on the New Fiction shelf at the library, and was really excited! I've read the first novel of the Hidden Cities, and rather enjoyed it. I'm in love with New Orleans, so to have a novel set this beautiful and enigmatic city just flipped my flapjacks.

The descriptions are both beautiful and horrifying, portraying the post-Katrina devastation. I was liking the protagonist, and getting pulled into the mystery and magic of NOLA.

Then the authors started dropping the F-bomb. Like film
Clarice
This was a fast and easy read. It's about on par with the rest of Christopher Golden's novels. Not my favorite of his, but still pretty good. I believe this is in the same vein as Mind the Gap, however this story is a little bit more... mystical? Something. No repeat characters, some pretty good conflict... but I do feel like this one was a bit more flat somehow. The reasons behind the main characters actions just fell flat a bit, and I did not feel the full emotional impact that I think was bei ...more
Sylvia Marquez
First 100 pages had me doubting my choice. Very slow start, but I had been reading action packed stories prior to picking this up so I expected more. Glad I did not put it down. Took place in post Katrina New Orleans. An insight on how the city was ravaged by mother nature. The story was a puzzle of moments that held magic, voodoo and the paranormal. Right up my alley. Toward the end, the pieces of the puzzle started to make sense; an aha moment if you will. A quick fun read.
I liked this book because it was sort of a historical mystical tour of New Orleans, and also gave a first-hand account of what post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans was like with detailed imagery. However, the characters were a little one dimensional, especially Gabrielle, and the choices the main character makes are just stupid. But I suppose without his stupid choices there wouldn't really be a novel.
Kate
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-orleans
The first Hidden Cities book had a YA vibe to it but this is definitely more adult-oriented. The basic idea is the same: an innocent person gets involved in something quasi-magical they don't understand and are pursued by a Menacing Gang throughout most of the book while interesting details from the city's past are revealed. The authors do a nice job portraying the dislocation of New Orleans after Katrina, and though it's slow to get going the story is entertaining overall.
Juliana
History Professor Max Corbett returns to a post-Katrina New Orleans to attend the funeral of his former lover Gabrielle. He meets a strange man who gives him a map and a mission--follow the map and attend significant moments of magic in New Orleans history and find his lost love.

The book is lighter on New Orleans history than I would have liked but overall it was an enjoyable read. You'll enjoy this if you like Urban Fantasy.
Echo
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I was so excited to read this based on the concept. However, right away I detested the characters and the voice, feeling as though the main character was a drip and uninterested in his lost love affair and inability to get over it. I made it to p 108 but then abandoned it in favor of books that will keep my attention because they are written in such a way as to hold it. I was keen to see how the concept played out but really uncommitted to the characters. Too much else I want to read.
Craig
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well done tale of magic set throughout the history of New Orleans, beginning and ending in the post-Katrina era. The plotting is much tighter than in the previous Hidden Cities book (Mind the Gap), and the characters are well-done and convincing, if not always likeable. It's a thought-provoking and occasionally surprising enjoyable read.
Brenda
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not something I would normally read, I was in the mood for something different. The story is set in New Orleans, post Hurricane Katrina. Max is to follow a map to change the past. I found I could only read this book a little at a time because the "darkness" spooked me. I am glad I can say I read this book, but I don't think I will actively seek out these authors again.
Lissa Notreallywolf
The Map of Moments is a history professors rite of passage in a post Katrina new Orleans. I have no idea how accurately it depicts moments in New Orleans macabre history, or if these are simply dark fantasy creations of the author. But it is an interesting journey through his grief and disorientation, both for the city and his lost love.
Sasha
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
This is a decent, compelling read. Not stunning, but enjoyable in an escapist sort of way. A guilty-feeling professor follows a magical map through moments of New Orlean's history to save his ex-lover from death in Hurricane Katrina.
Carol
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man visits post-Katrina New Orleans and through a conjurer who gives him a magic map, visits past historical moments of the Big Easy. His motive is to change the events that led to the death of his girlfriend. Very action packed and requires a suspension of disbelief. Would be a great movie.
Beverly
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Tasula
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating setting- New Orleans shortly after Katrina. A professor returns for the funeral of a woman who betrayed him in love, and gets embroiled in a battle of magicians- evil vs "not so evil".
Kori
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot line was a bit thin, however it was interesting to read about historical New Orleans as well as a couple of months post Katrina New Orleans.
I love fictional ways to read about history.
Kristin
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Read from 12/21 to 12/25.
Suburbangardener
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the concept of this book, a person traveling around post-Katrina New Orleans, experiencing first hand important moments from the city's history, but it was too gruesome for my taste.
Jocelyn
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The protagonist running around trying to find points on the map made for a storyline that dragged on a little, but I liked the setting of post Katrina New Orleans.
Jane Vincent
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A beautiful homage to the city of New Orleans.

• The Other People
  • Blacktop Wasteland
  • Montana Territory (A John Hawk Western Book 3)
  • Stuck
  • Take Back Tomorrow
  • The Red Pony
  • Let Her Be (Hush collection)
  • Buried (Hush collection)
  • Out of Time
  • Wessex Tales
  • Broken
  • The Ghosts of Sherwood (The Robin Hood Stories, #1)
  • The Heirs of Locksley (The Robin Hood Stories, #2)
  • Me and Carlos
  • The 2084 Report: An Oral History of the Great Warming
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
  • Blood World
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Hidden Cities (4 books)
  • Mind the Gap (Hidden Cities, #1)
  • The Chamber of Ten (Hidden Cities, #3)
  • The Shadow Men (Hidden Cities, #4)