Start by marking “Gai-Jin (Asian Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gai-Jin (Asian Saga, #3)

Gai-Jin

(Asian Saga: Chronological Order #3)

The heir to the magnificent English trading company, the Noble House…the direct descendant of the first Toranaga Shogun battling to usher his country into the modern age…a beautiful young French woman forever torn between ambition and desireTheir lives intertwine in an exotic land newly open to foreigners, gai-jin, torn apart by greed, idealism, and terrorism. Their pass
Published April 3rd 1994 by Dell (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Gai-Jin, please sign up.
kazerniel Not absolutely necessary, but it's worth to read this novel after reading the Shogun and Tai-Pan, as it's a sequel of both. It adds a nice background…moreNot absolutely necessary, but it's worth to read this novel after reading the Shogun and Tai-Pan, as it's a sequel of both. It adds a nice background for some of the characters who are frequently mentioned in this novel.(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
”So easy to be swallowed up, by the weather and gardens, kind skies and tender rain, best music, poetry, exotic foods, abundant silks and clothes makers, exquisite carp and singing birds, the alabaster-skinned beauties of the court, and of Kyoto’s Floating World,...without a care in the world except to seek the next pleasure.”

photo Japanese20Art_zpsyvn3mo9b.jpg

After conquering China, the traders of Europe are now focused on opening up trade relations with Japan. They are perched precariously on the edge of the Islands in a small
Jim
Now I know why I didn't like this book as well - no strong central character. There are a lot of great characters & the writing is everything I've come to expect from Clavell, but every other book of his is fairly upbeat (sort of) with a great heroic, central figure. Here there isn't one. I don't know who to pin my hopes on. In this typically complex set of circumstance & motivation, it's hard to pick out the good guy. There is a huge cast, many with strange (to me since they're Japanese ...more
David
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I loved Clavell's SHOGUN, and while GAI-JIN takes great efforts to paint on-the-verge-of-Meiji Japan in great depth, this book is hardly SHOGUN. I'm on page 450 right now and feel as if everything so far could have been told in 150 pages...and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to get through the remaining 350. SHOGUN always opened new doors, always presented new sides to the characters and the politics...GAI-JIN just keeps treading and re-treading and re-re-treading old ground. I'm so much ...more
Jeruen
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An edited version of this article was first published as Book Review: Gai-Jin by James Clavell on Blogcritics.org.

This is the third book of James Clavell's Asian Saga. Two years ago, I read the first book, Shogun , and a year ago, I read the second, Tai-Pan . Both were huge mammoth books, and the third installment is nothing different.

I suppose there are times in which I sort of disliked this book, but then later I realized that I only "disliked" it because I was expecting something else. But
Matt Crumpton
This book is my least favorite in Clavell's Asian saga.

First this is kind of a semi-sequel to both Shogun and Tai-pan. Many characters and descendents of characters and story lines and histories from the previous 2 novels can be found in Gai-jin. The novel is set in Hong Kong and Japan. The basic story is really good. The telling of the struggle between Japan and the Gai-jin (foreigners), and the internal struggle between The Japanese shogunate ( this ruling clan that gained supreme power in th
Karen
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like suspenseful books.
Recommended to Karen by: No one. I read the other Noble House series
As I was cleaning my book shelves over the holidays, I discovered this wonderful book by James Clavell about the British in Japan in 1862. It is a suspenseful book with a stress that learning the language of the culture is a must. There are geisha girls, samurai soldiers, the British, French, and Japanese warriors filled with plans, wars, and doubts. Of course, there is a fascinating French girl. I couldn't put it down.

I had read most of the Noble House series, but had overlooked this one. I gue
Austin Briggs
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I admire Clavell, and would normally rate all his books as 5 out of 5. The intrigue, the complicated characters, the loyalties built and betrayed... I love that.

However, I couldn't finish Gai-Jin despite starting to read it three times over the last 10 years. I just can't make it past a certain event mid-book (can't disclose a spoiler).

I don't know what happened here. Maybe it's me, maybe it's just that the book is heavier than the usual, brilliant James Clavell. But I just can't get into it. O
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Aside a few mistakes (contradictions with earlier novels, such as the mention of May-May being Gordon Chen's mother when in Tai-Pan, she was not, among other things), this was a decent read.

Like Tai-Pan, this plodded in some places, particularly through the later half of the book, but Clavell was rather ill and died shortly after finishing this. In my opinion, Shogun remains the best of the lot.

Like Tai-Pan, the ending disappointed me. The reason I loved Shogon so much was because Blackthorne wa
Danielle
Repetitive and unoriginal, especially when considered as part of the "Asian Saga." Don't read this if you have any basic understanding of Japanese history, have read any of Clavell's other books, or if you care about grammatical accuracy and vaguely unique characterization and dialogue.

So what made me consume 1000+ pages of this stuff? Hmm.

Well, it was promising in the beginning, I suppose. The subject itself (the decline of the shogunate and the foreign "invasion" of Japan) is interesting, and
Hasham Rasool
The Asian Saga: the struggle for Japan's destiny.
Honza
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tami
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful, long, rich, full and fascinating historical novel by Clavell loosely based on historical events. Again complex and interesting characters, and a combination of politics, business, intrigues and personal stories. The story line I found most interesting here was the romance, or maybe better described as the family melodrama, that gladly took a big part of the book. Since this books is set in the middle of the Asiatic saga there were descendants and ancestors of beloved
Saya
May 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
Utter crap of the worst sort, like Bear and Dragon, chosen for its length alone. Full of the most facile stereotypes and misguided ideas of chivalry. Not even a decent bodice-ripper. Completely unredeemable.
David Highton
An extremely long book, dealing with European traders with a foothold in Japan, and their personal lifes and lives, and also dealing with internecine politics within the ruling classes of Japan. I found this very difficult to read for the first 500 pages and really had to persevere - not entirely sure it was worth it in the end.
Matt Seeker
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Welp, I'm done and somehow that seems the important part. My foray into pop lit has officially hit a wall. This book did have some redeeming qualities. There a lot of moving plot machinations and torn character motivations, but the moments of badassery were separated by too many pages of stupid shit that you really don't give a flying fart about. It is also the first Clavell book I read without an western archetypal hero. This was the third book in the Asian Saga, but the last one that Clavell p ...more
Webster Fortyone
It is almost impossible to summarise a James Clavell novel in a book review. They are invariably a thosand pages of narrative that spans a short period of time, packed with an ensemble cast of larger than life characters from another time, in a faraway exotic land; all of whom are battling, loving, hating, spying on, killing, plotting against and sleeping with each other.

Gai-Jin isn't as famous as Shogun but is essential reading for a true fan. It is tragic in many ways as it traces the difficu
Ryan Anderson
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as Shogun, but similar in many ways: lots of characters, lots of intrigue and culture clashes and translation issues. However, where Shogun had one main character this one had a bunch (10?) so it was less compelling. I found myself looking forward to being finished. Still, I am incredibly impressed with the author for keeping track of so many convoluted plots and schemes between all the characters.

Also, I listened to this as an audiobook and the reader (who I recognized from other a
Lia
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five stars when the stories centered on the Japanese characters. One star when the stories centered on the European characters. Totally not at the same level as Tai-Pan.
Ben
Gai-Jin (meaning 'outside person', or 'foreigner' in Japanese) is based on an actual 1862 event, known as the Namamugi Incident, in which a British national was killed, and two others wounded, by samurai on the Tokaido highway near Kanagawa for not showing the proper respect for passing Satsuma daimyo (Satsuma is a province in the south of Japan, and daimyos were local heads of government in Japan's then feudal system) . In retribution the British navy bombarded the Satsuma capital of Kagoshima. ...more
Blake Charlton
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
a vast colonial epic, less thrilling than others in the series, but still compelling, partially because the author pulls no punches for any of his characters.
Grada (BoekenTrol)
Like the other books of James Clavell, I borrowed this one from the library years ago. I liked his style and decided that I wanted to have his books. (Then I could take as long as I wanted, not be limited to a maximum of 6 weeks or so...) Now that I own it, I will read this one again, don't know when, but... definitely will.

Review: despite it is a good book, I liked it less than I liked shogun. For some reason it grabbed me less.
The stories told were good, the characters enjoyable, even though
Kylie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I'M FREE!

Okay, that's a bit harsh. I was just starting to get a bit sick of it as I had been reading it for so long.

As usual with Clavell's Asian Saga, the book is meticulously researched and intricately plotted, so it almost feels like you're actually there. However, again as usual, the plot itself is more a slice of life or sample stretch of events so there is no real resolution. The number of important characters in this book is greater than Shogun, which means you have to get a lot further i
Laurie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I am only giving this book 3 stars as it was just a really heavy read for me. I was almost halfway through before i began to really enjoy it and the book is over 1200 pages. Historical fictional asian saga set in the 1800s when trade was begun with Japan. There were just so many characters in the novel and different factions within Japan fighting for power that I had a hard time following it and the main character was just not strong enough. Despite that there is no question James Clavell is an ...more
Richard Beasley
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Picked this up in 2nd handbook shop before Christmas. Had forgotten how absorbing Clavell is.
It actually got a bit tedious and I found the development of one of the Japanese samurai warriors who ends up spying / infiltrating the Western end. The best characters are either not in it enough (Toranaga) or only referred to and never seen directly ("hag" Struan).
Good enough yo remind me how much I loved Tai-Pan and Shogun as a teenager, so James Clavell very define toy on the re-read list
Frank Pinelander
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is typical Clavell - intricately woven with very deep character development and many surprises.

It doesn't really matter how many literary plots one believes in, Clavell seems to incorporate them all into his novels.

The only thing I am critical about, is that this book in the saga does not fill in the storyline to any significant degree between Tai-pan and Noble House, something I was looking forward to.
Jim
Sep 19, 2008 rated it liked it
This follows Dirk's (hero of Tai-Pan) son Cullum & his wife. I didn't like it nearly as well as any of his other books. If you like the series (Shogun, Tai-Pan) then read this once as the background helps a lot for "Nobel House". "Shogun" references are also in here. Clavell does a good job of tying his novels together.
Theophilus (Theo)
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fills in a little of the big time void between Taipan and King Rat. Not as good as either, but still follows the characters. Kind of wraps up Taipan after the death of Dirk Struan by following his son to Japan for more adventure and cutthroat mercantilism.
Sue
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent sequil to Noble House. Another thick book that kept my attention and interest. It picks up where Noble House left off and covers the same families and rivalries.

Excellent. I remember I bought it in hard cover as soon as it came out - I had waited over 10 yrs for the sequil.
Laura Noggle
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
History rich, a deeper look into the Western presence in Japan, 1862. Dangerous, lots of blood, samurais, spies, prostitutes - another well crafted masterpiece. The building tension between the Japanese and the foreigners ... couldn't put it down the last half.
Jesse
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book! Outstanding characters and intrigue, a glimse of life in the first British settlement in Japan. Builds on the other two books, with the same characters and history. Perhaps not as exciting, but a great read none the less.
Some unfinished business? (**Contains Spoilers**) 1 6 Sep 24, 2017 01:47PM

• The Court of the Lion: A Novel of the T'ang Dynasty (T'ang Trilogy, #3)
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
  • Raptor
  • The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • The Blood Star
  • Sayonara
  • Caesar (Masters of Rome, #5)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Angel Eyes
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • Shike
  • Day of Wrath
James Clavell, born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell was a British novelist, screenwriter, director and World War II veteran and POW. Clavell is best known for his epic Asian Saga series of novels and their televised adaptations, along with such films as The Great Escape, The Fly and To Sir, with Love.

--------------------------

James Clavell. (2007, November 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Asian Saga: Chronological Order (6 books)
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
  • Tai-Pan (Asian Saga, #2)
  • King Rat (Asian Saga, #4)
  • Noble House (Asian Saga, #5)
  • Whirlwind (Asian Saga, #6)
“did. But he was glad her head was deep in his shoulder greatcoat. Again he craned around and caught sight of it, slightly aft and lying flat in the water, now seeming to” 2 likes
“and damned nomads in Mesopotamia have again cut the telegraph—another expeditionary force is being organized to deal with them once and for all!” 1 likes