Start by marking “Lost You” as Want to Read:
Lost You

Lost You

A provocative and unputdownable psychological suspense about two women locked in a desperate fight over a child each believes is rightfully hers

Libby needs a break. Three years ago her husband split, leaving her to raise their infant son Ethan alone as she struggled to launch her writing career. Now for the first time in years, things are looking up. She's just sold her fi
Published August 6th 2019 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Lost You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost You

Paromjit
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haylen Beck, aka Stuart Neville, returns with another compulsive, emotional roller coaster of a twisted psychological thriller that immediately plunges the reader into a tense and horrifying nightmare of a scenario. In a narrative that goes back and forth in time, this is a thought provoking story of the murky world of surrogacy, motherhood, and two desperate women whose lives spin beyond their control. Libby is consumed by a need to have a child but fertility issues push her dream further and f ...more
Monica
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Such an amazing book!! Makes me question all my previous 5 ⭐ reads!

At different points in the story, I felt compassion and understanding for these two women. But never at the same time! They were complete opposites, focused only on themselves and a child. I never guessed the final revelations and they made for a compelling, tightly woven story.

I highly recommend Lost You to all readers who enjoy mysteries and psychological thrillers.

*Many thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the advanced read
Erin
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Crown Publishing for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

The type of suspense thriller that kept me glued to my seat, but also making me constantly change my mind as to where I should place my empathy.

A relaxing vacation at a resort. A single mother. A three year old child goes missing. A devastating confrontation. How did this all happen?

Humankind and their secrets! Am I right? Main protagonist, Libby certainly held me in her grasp even if I did feel co
Kendall
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Lost You by Haylen Beck was a mediocre read for me.

As you may all know... it's pretty darn hard for me to rate a 4-5 star for my thrillers. I feel like the plot was something that I've seen before and it wasn't an over the top amazing story for me.

This was interesting with the dark side of surrogacy and the toll that it can take on women. I can't imagine how hard that would be! My heart really was sad for both Anna and Libby. The ending wrapped up way too nicely for me and I wasn't impressed at
Mandy White
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lost You by Haylen Beck was so much more than I had expected! A story about a missing child right - yes but there is so much more to it than that. It was a total surprise the turn that this book took and it was fascinating! I did not want to put this book down and read it very quickly. From missing children, deep dark secrets, surrogacy, obsession and so much more, this book had it all. I highly recommend this book for lovers of twisty storylines.

Libby takes her 3 year old son Ethan on a well de
Selena
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of Lost You by Haylen Beck from NetGalley for my honest review.

I loved how this book started out. Throws you right in and then we go back to the beginning of the story with with the story of Anna. Anna is working as a waitress but gets let go due to the business not doing so well. Anna then struggles to get a job and is financially strapped. Her friend who still has her job at the diner comes across a job in the paper and that is when everything changes.

Anna decides to t
Patricia
I would probably rate this novel more of a 3.5. A family wanting a child pays for a surrogate mother who later steals her back. I felt like both women were a little touched in the head and did not enjoy this novel as much as I thought I would. Still, a pretty good read.
Pauline
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Lost You by Haylen Beck was a fast paced psychological thriller that I couldn't put down and read in one sitting.
The story of two women fighting over a child each claiming to be the child's mother. This book took me on a journey of poverty, infertility, surrogacy, manipulation and greed.
I really enjoyed reading this book and I will be looking out for more books by this author.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK, Vintage Publishing for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lou
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lisa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gut-wrenching, compulsive read of two women’s obsession to have a child.

SUMMARY
Three years ago, Anna is an out of work waitress and in need of money to make ends meet. She explored an advertisement stating “Financial opportunity for healthy women aged 21 to 35. Call this number 24/7 for details.” Anna’s friend Betsy encourage her to make the call. The company was willing to pay her $500 just for answering a few questions and no obligation or commitment required. The Schaeffer-Holdt Clinic is l
Dennis
Woo, child. Haylen Beck, Haylen Beck, Haylen Beck. I don't want to roast your upcoming "mommy suspense" novel, Lost You , and I promised myself this year to be more constructive with my less than stellar reviews, but I just did not enjoy this one. Beck's previous release, Here and Gone had the same "mommy suspense" theme, but the action really was jam packed. While I was reading Lost You , it started out very strong and I read the first 100 pages very quickly, but then the timeline changes out ...more
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was completely different to what I thought it would be and in a very good way. The story was excellent. I was completely hooked and desperate to know what happens. The characters were all really interesting and the story was very well written. I can’t wait to read more books from this author. I definitely recommend this. It’s easily one of my favourite books.
Liz Barnsley
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was the BIGGEST fan of Here and Gone so to say I was excitable about the next novel from Haylen Beck aka Stuart Neville would be putting it mildly.
Lost You is excellent once more, a psychological thriller that moves at a perfectly formed pace, keeping you hooked into every single moment of the desperate hunt for a missing child and an emotionally charged back story which informs that event.
You may think you know what’s coming but ultimately there’s no path of least resistance here, it is an ed
Michelle
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Haylen Becks first novel Here and Gone so, I was excited when I received a copy of Lost you.
Libby is on a well-earned break with her son Ethan. When her child goes missing. First, she thinks that he is somewhere on the resort. But when she talks to the hotel’s security team and they show her camera footage she realises that Ethan has been abducted.
Years previously, Libby is so desperate for a child but, she cannot have one herself. She decides to hire a surrogate with the disapp
Jen
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four twisty, compulsive, dramatic stars to Lost You!

Getting away to the beach is the refreshing break that single mom Libby needs. She escapes to the beach resort with her three year old son Ethan for some fun in the sun. This relaxing vacation has been just what the doctor ordered- until Ethan slips into the elevator and disappears before Libby can reach him. Hotel security footage shows a woman leading Ethan away by the hand. They find the woman in the hotel but she refuses to let Ethan go and
Lou
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having featured in my top 10 thrillers of last year I was hoping Lost You would live up to the extraordinarily exciting Here and Gone, and although it isn't quite as good it will likely feature in my top books of the year. Single parent Libby treats her and her 4-year-old son Ethan to an all-inclusive vacation after a difficult year. Having turned her back for merely seconds she realises that cheeky Ethan has boarded the elevator and pressed all of the buttons. She frantically sprints from one f ...more
OutlawPoet
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
So, I started reading this and I almost just stopped. I just kept thinking: this old plot again?

Um...I was wrong. This is a very different plot full of unexpected twists.

I still didn’t love it – but I didn’t hate it. My main issues were that I didn’t like the characters and I thought the plot was a bit..too too? I just never bought into it. But I sure was curious about how it all would end.

3 stars. The author managed to surprise me. I’d try the author again.

*ARC Provided via Net Galley

Emily
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5⭐

I was very intrigued by Lost You in the beginning, and I was excited to see where this one was going to go. Although the story sounded like it was headed in a sort of predictable direction, I still wanted to find out how it got there.

The synopsis of this book (which is what caught my attention) is really only about the beginning and end of the book. The actual story that makes up most of the book is different than what was presented, and this was frustrating to me. The story was fine, but I
Kelly
Lost You by Haylen Beck

Pub date: August 2019
Crown Publishing
Genre: Fiction, psycho thriller
Rating: 3/5

I received a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley and Crown Publishing in exchange for an unbiased review.

Whenever a book starts by explaining the ending you can be sure there’s a lot more to the story. Lost You starts with a tragic ending on the roof top of a hotel in Florida. Many people are “lost” throughout this novel.

Libby and Mason were married but unable to conceive a baby. It become
Shalini
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved the book. I couldn't stop reading it, even when it was 2am. I had to know the truth. The book captured me so slyly that I was the prey in the web it wove around me.

The cover and a missing child arc always makes me pick up the BOOK. The main character Libby paid a huge price for just a moment of distraction. Her son rushed to the elevator all by himself to press the shiny buttons. AND HE WAS LOST!! The cameras caught the back of a woman walking with him...

Haylen Beck is am
Carolyn
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish to thank NetGalley and Crown Publishing for this compelling, fast-paced, provocative psychological thriller. Two desperate women become involved with a shady agency which matches women longing for a baby with a surrogate. 3.5 stars

Libby is unable to become pregnant and is obsessed with having a child to love. Her husband does not approve of hiring a surrogate but would agree to an adoption. Libby refuses this option and proceeds in obtaining a surrogate by way of an agency operating outs
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I love it when a book stays at the same pace throughout the entire read. Beck brings us two mothers fighting for the same child. There's nothing like a mother's love or a woman scorned - meld the two together and you're getting a high dose of crazy! Libby wants nothing more than to have a child and will go to any lengths to have one. How far is too far and when does it become at the expense of the child?

This book touches on surrogacy, legalities of adoption, two women fighting for the child that
Natalie M
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Obsession at its most extreme. Two women struggle with a multitude of issues in their quests to be mothers but at what expense?

Aspects of the plot were a little unbelievable in places but suspending my judgement for the benefit of the concept being created made it more enjoyable. Certainly fast-paced and it definitely meets the parameters of a psychological thriller.
Melody McNamara
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book! Having loved Here and Gone by Haylen Beck
(aka Stuart Neville), I was excited to read this new one. A suspenseful domestic thriller that I couldn't put down, but also a tragic and emotional story of motherhood that tugged at my heartstrings. I felt a range of emotions while reading this, and isn't that what a great book is all about?
Janet
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A provocative and unputdownable psychological suspense about two women locked in a desperate fight over a child that each believes is rightfully hers

Tucker
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I discovered Haylen Beck with his exciting thriller “Here and Gone.” Beck is the pseudonym of Stuart Neville who has earned numerous award nominations for his novels set in Belfast. Writing as Beck he moves to a much different location (the U.S.) and theme (children who are abducted from their mothers.) “Lost You” thoughtfully explores the heart-wrenching decisions of surrogate mothers and the fears of the mothers who raise those children. That highly emotional subject, excellent characterizatio ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
This story starts out with what appears to be the case of a missing child but soon backtracks into a story that deals with the toll illegal surrogacy has on two women who become increasingly desperate and unstable in their desire for one child.

Once the story goes back in time, we lose the suspense and the story takes on a contemporary fiction feel. Not a bad thing, but not what I was hoping for because the story lost a lot of steam at this point. It didn't help that I didn't like or sympathize
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Oh boy. I did not mean to read two books about surrogacy so close together (The Farm). These are two slightly different takes on the topic, but also kind of the same in a way. I will soy that this one had me HOOKED from the first chapter, but then it went into flashback mode, and I was a bit bored with the deets and the pacing in the middle. This middle part is also where it is a little similar to The Farm, e.g. the surrogate is paid a lot of money, she is given a place to live, a weekly allowan ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Vintage Publishing for an advance copy of Lost You, the second stand alone written by Stuart Neville under the pseudonym Haylen Beck.

Single mother Libby Reese takes her three year old son on a much needed holiday to Florida but her dream holiday turns into a nightmare when Ethan vanishes after accidentally shutting the lift doors on her.

Lost You is an interesting novel which I was keen to read after the excellent Here and Gone. The opening ch
Melissa
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read! When a young lady loses her job she Inquires about an ad in the paper. To make this money she needs to become a surrogate carrying a baby for another family, which happens to be illegal in the state. The book takes a turn when she backs out of the deal wanting to keep the baby for herself. I could not put this book down!
HAYLEN BECK is the pseudonym of acclaimed, Edgar Award-nominated author Stuart Neville, whose crime fiction has won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and made best-of-year lists with numerous publications, including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and the Boston Globe. His first Haylen Beck novel was Here and Gone.