Start by marking “Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)” as Want to Read:
Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)

Any Old Diamonds

(Lilywhite Boys #1)

Lord Alexander Pyne-ffoulkes is the younger son of the Duke of Ilvar, with a bitter grudge against his wealthy father. The Duke intends to give his Duchess a priceless diamond parure on their wedding anniversary—so Alec hires a pair of jewel thieves to steal it.

Published January 30th 2019 by KJC Books

Start your review of Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
K.J. Charles
Nov 21, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
In which we stick it to a duke. Any Old Diamonds is set in the late Victorian era and inspired by a number of things: a real historical crime (not telling you which, that would be a giveaway), the popular theatre of the time (hence the music-hall title), and my urge to find out what happened to some characters in my Sins of the Cities series, set twenty years earlier. I loved writing this one; I hope you enjoy a more-sociopathic-than usual hero.

Crozier’s fingers released Alec’s chin, skimmed do
Judith
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

A bit of unbridled passion with a good plot,anyone?

Christ, Alec, I want to do the most appalling things to you. Are you sure you want to be kissed while I do them?”

So many positives here.

-set in the late 19th century in England...the Victorian era.After the Tudors this is the period in British history that completely fascinates me ( honestly ask me anything,I'm that obsessed with those two periods )

-delicious twists and turns that I didn't see coming and had to go back and read ag
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm going to go way, way against the grain here with my rating on Any Old Diamonds. I'm a huge K.J. Charles fan, and I've read 20 of her books and have loved nearly all of them. In fact, K.J. Charles is one of my all-time favorite authors. But I just didn't enjoy Any Old Diamonds.

I felt incredibly disconnected from this story, almost from the start. It was hard to get into it, and once I started reading, I couldn't wait for it to be over. I found the twists to be out of character and unbelievabl
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not For Me*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around illustrator Lord Alexander ‘Alec’ Pyne-ffoulkes (28), the younger son of the Duke of Ilvar and his hired thieve soldier-turned-criminal, Jerry Crozier ((view spoiler)) (in his 30s). This whole story was a struggle for me. The characters didn't work for me for some reason. I didn't like how weak I felt Alec was, and it's so weird that I didn't enjoy this book more than I did because it did have a commanding
Mwanamali
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, crime, historical
K.J. Charles is back! And she's bringing old friends too. The namedropping in this book was phenomenal. From Nathaniel and Julius to the Cirence...Circen.... The Vanes. But as my inner Charles fan girl squeed at the familiar names, and the idea of a shared universe, I couldn't help but be pulled in by the wonder that was this story.

Alec Pyne is in desperate need of a thief. Advised by a Mr Holcombe, he goes to hire the Lilywhite Boys. (Yes, the ones in the title.) And right away, we know they'r
Teal
Why ever would kind, sensitive, hardworking illustrator Alec Pyne solicit the services of infamous jewel thieves The Lilywhite Boys to steal a fortune in diamonds from the Duke of Ilvar?

Could it be as simple as mere spite? Alec -- aka Lord Alexander Greville de Keppel Pyne-ffoulkes, younger son of the Duke of Ilvar -- has, along with his siblings, been estranged from their father for a decade under circumstances most mysterious, and barely scraping by. When a sudden tragedy spurs Alec to seek so
Adam
Tag team review with Lost in a Book!

The blurb had me practically salivating. Family drama, crime, Victorian aristocracy, contempt for said aristocracy, two very mismatched characters, and a hint of kink.

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this!

The book introduces readers to someone who should be one of Victorian Britain’s most privileged individuals - Lord Alexander Pyne-ffoulkes, i.e. Alec, the younger son of the Duke of Ilvar.

But Alec, living in a rundown apartment as a struggling il
Moony Eliver
This was a fun one. The last 20% or so felt a touch rushed, but nothing that keeps it from being a solid rec. I think I highlighted every time Jerry opened his mouth. 😂
☙ nemo ❧
kj charles is BACK, motherfuckers!!!!

kj is one of my favourite authors ever, but i have been surprisingly disappointed with her past three releases: rather than being excellent, they were merely good, and one of them was - horror of horrors! - just OK. so, naturally, i was very nervous about this one.

but any old diamonds was MAGNIFICENT, and kj charles appears to have broken out of her slump!! WOOHOO!!!

i have been absolutely dying for KJ to write another dom/sub kinda relationship since the inc
Kaje Harper
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another interesting historical tale with all the flavor of the era, and a surprising twist that caught me fully by surprise. This is a bit more of a personal story with less social commentary - about Alec, a young man whose father, the Duke of Ilvar, remarried and cast his previous children aside. That rejection impoverished them and contributed to the death of Alec's sister. Alec is bound on revenge, and hiring a thief to steal his stepmother's jewelry would both work to enrage his father, and ...more
Jewel
4.5 Stars

That was delightful!
Talia Hibbert
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, m-m
I pre-ordered this book because, you know, KJ Charles, but I wasn’t able to read it for quite a while. Well, it probably wasn’t that long, but it felt like forever, because, you know, KJ Charles. Anyway, I finally got the chance, and it was definitely worth the wait because I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. You know, a train of FEELINGS and EMOTIONS and TENDERNESS and SHOCKING TWISTS. A very good train, is what I’m saying here.

My thoughts are a tangle of joy and adoration, so please bear wit
Caz
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Murder and mayhem! Betrayal and revenge! Dastardly dukes and scheming criminals! Roll up, roll up! K.J. Charles has another winner on her hands with Any Old Diamonds, a fabulously entertaining and deftly plotted tale of intrigue and suspense in which our hero – son of the aforesaid dastardly duke – sets in motion a plan of vengeance and retribution… and gets rather more than he bargained for. In the best possible way, of course.

Alec Py
Erth
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read and loved all of this author's books, but this one is possibly my favourite (apart from the Magpie Trilogy, which I love beyond reason). This story was just so moving, romantic and surprising, and I had to keep stopping whilst reading so I didn't finish it too quickly. I don't want to accidentally leave spoilers, so will stop now, but just buy it and read it - you will be enraptured.
Lisazj1
Man, am I racking up the good reads!! I completely loved this, KJ Charles never disappoints and she hit it out of the park for me with this book. I couldn't put it down *except for when I was rudely interrupted by kids wanting food* and I finished it at 4:45 am in the morning.

I loved everything. The plot was amazing and the twists and surprises took me genuinely unaware. I loved the moral complexities, how emotion gets in the way when you know you're doing right but it still hurts, the cost of s
Sofia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Charles restoring my faith. I cannot say that I am an all out fan of hers because there are some books that I couldn't bond with but this one made me glad that I still keep an eye out for her work and then give heed to my gut feelings.

A great mix of story, characters and action.

And yes Maya, I'm a Jerry fan.
Hollis
Can't quite round up on this one. I loved the romance, I loved the cameos (soooo trash for that little peekaboo update on Justin and Nathaniel), and liked a certain hook in the plot, but I wasn't really invested in the rest? Definitely keen to read on for more Susan Lazarus adventures, though!
Ariana
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, lgbtq
Absolutely brilliant!

I love KJ Charles, but for me 'Any Old Diamonds' is one of her best novels to date.
So what is so special about this one?

a. The plot kept me on my toes, right from the beginning to the end. I had no idea where this could possibly go and how it would all end. Needless to say that everything came to a highly satisfactory conclusion!

b. The plot twist at 62% is one of the best I've come across. Remember the one Tal Bauer threw at us in "Enemy Of My Enemy? Well, I would say it is
Eli Easton
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected it to be awesome and... it was.
Elena
One of the things I love the most about K.J. Charles’s books is that, aside from what they all have in common (all historical romances and incredibly well-written), they are all unique. I never have the feeling I’m reading the same old story slightly changed.
The time periods are different, sometimes the plot is more mystery-driven, there’s always an undercurrent of humor in the narrative, and so on. I’m sure all of that helps, but what impresses me the most is how she can create such compelling
Richard Derus
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

The Publisher Says: Lord Alexander Pyne-ffoulkes, the younger son of the Duke of Ilvar, holds a bitter grudge against his wealthy father. The Duke intends to give his Duchess a priceless diamond parure on their wedding anniversary — so Alec hires a pair of jewel thieves to steal it.

The Duke's remote castle is a difficult target, and Alec needs a way to get the thieves in. Soldier-turned-criminal Jerry Crozier has the answer: he'll pose as a Society gentleman and become
Lost in a Book
Tag Team with Adam

4 Stars

There’s something so comforting about a K.J. Charles historical romance. Well, as comforting as intrigue, murder, jewel thieves, and filial retribution can be...which for me is as effective as a cozy blanket and a mug of hot chocolate. #content

content.gif

Lord Alexander has harbored rage for years after his family was turned away by his father, Duke Ilvar. The Duke and Duchess remain quite wealthy while their children live in poverty. With their anniversary coming soon, the Duke has
Vanna
5 stars!! 🤩😍L❤️VED IT!! 💕This surpassed all my expectations!! 👏Despite KJ Charles being one of my fav authors, her last series left me with some mixed feelings🤔. But this book brought back all the joy that I had had when I first read"Think of England" and "The Magpie Lord" series on a binge 🤩. This book reasserts Ms Charles as a gifted author who has a unique talent of weaving stories that revive and redefine the past era in the most entertaining way. 💝
The story begins when our main protagonist,
Veronique
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2019, stars-4-0
I couldn’t resist a new title from K.J. Charles. This LGBT historical romance is set in late Victorian times and features the younger son of a duke and a jewel thief. Heist stories are always so much fun and this one didn’t disappoint. Especially if you take into consideration that there is more at stake than diamonds.

As always, the author excels at creating complex and interesting characters, while playing with our expectations. Lots of banter, romance, and thrilling moments. In all, highly en
Sam (AMNReader)
Well that was quick.

Lovely. Sorry to say my reviews are suffering a bit, but I might have to come back to fill in some here. Might not.
Rosa
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Usually historicals aren't my thing, they make me anguish, but K.J. Charles write them in a way that I love. The anguish is there, sure, that fear at being discovered, the threat of being gaoled... and all that double moral, that hypocritical society that accepts everything if it comes from the rich and the powerful. But it's so well written, that we can found a glimmer of hope even in those dark times.
I highly recommend this one. I'm looking forwad to keep commenting with my fellow B
annob
4.5 stars!

For some reason I forgot how much I enjoy KJ Charles writing, I should have picked this story up sooner. This was superb! I loved the pairing, with an unexpected serving of mild submissive kink. Mysteries aren't really my thing, and perhaps there was a tad too much explaining the jewel heist towards the ending for me, but I found the HEA satisfactory.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
K.J. Charles truly doesn't do disappointment. Absolutely charming as usual. ...more
Freya Marske
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A DELIGHT. Such a fun patchwork of things I love: terrible house parties full of terrible people, family secrets, heists, obedience kink, and Charles's impeccable ability to attach your affections to her protagonists with the strength of industrial magnets within the space a single chapter.
Andrea
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this 4 stars, but for that PURELY EVIL plot twist, I have to add one more :)

As always, K.J. Charles delivers a perfect story, this time about jewel thieves, family drama, murder and revenge… Anyone who knows me might wonder why I suddenly enjoy all this when I usually loathe drama in any form, but what can I say? If anyone can make me step outside my comfort zone, it's K.J. Charles!

Loved it even more when I re-read it after finishing The Rat-Catcher's Daughter and on my way
The Backlot Gay B...: Any Old Diamonds, by KJ Charles 3 18 Mar 27, 2019 02:10PM
Trysts and Testos...: February: Any Old Diamonds 4 12 Feb 11, 2019 12:29AM

• Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • Sword Dance
  • Something Human
  • Eleventh Hour (The Carstairs Affairs, #1)
  • Invitation to the Dance
  • Introducing Mr. Winterbourne
  • Master Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #2)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • The Soldier's Scoundrel (The Turner Series, #1)
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
KJ is a writer of romance, mostly m/m, historical or fantasy or both. She blogs about writing and editing at http://kjcharleswriter.com.

She lives in London, UK, with her husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Twitter https://twitter.com/kj_charles
Join the lively Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/13876...
Sign up to the (infrequent) newsletter at http://kjcharleswriter.com/n

Lilywhite Boys (2 books)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)