Start by marking “The Hierophant's Daughter (The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hierophant's Daughter (The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, #1)

The Hierophant's Daughter

(The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy #1)

By 4042 CE, the Hierophant and his Church have risen to political dominance with his cannibalistic army of genetically modified humans: martyrs. In an era when mankind's intergenerational cold wars against their long-lived predators seem close to running hot, the Holy Family is poised on the verge of complete planetary control. It will take a miracle to save humanity from ...more
Published May 19th 2019 by Painted Blind Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Hierophant's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hierophant's Daughter

Start your review of The Hierophant's Daughter (The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, #1)
Bradley
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, sci-fi, 2018-shelf
Word to the wise:

This novel has a ton of great worldbuilding... as in, the grand majority of your reading pleasure may very well be in the worldbuilding going on here. My recommendation? Skip to the appendix first, give it a brief, probably delighted, gander. Then, read the timeline. Do not skip the timeline. This will give you all the proper context to go into the novel proper. :)

But wait, Bradley, is that REALLY necessary? I mean, even Peter F Hamilton can be read without that long, long, deta
Jammin Jenny
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I thought the book was good, confusing at times, but a good story line. There's a lot of mixed up religion involved, and there are some really good moments between the MC, Dominia, and the people she meets on her way to find Lazarus. At times though I found it a bit confusing to follow.
Mel (Epic Reading)
DNF at 30%

The Hierophant's Daughter is like jumping into the middle of a historical documentary without any knowledge of the context, types of people (or even species/breed) involved and political climate. It genuinely took me a few pages just to realize that martyr's were vampires (or a version thereof).
M. F. Sullivan has set-up a very complex alternate history for humans and woven in the (eventual) dominance of the martyr's by 2035(ish). This is the point at which we come into the story.

Char
Jason
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Blimey, what an amazing book. There are certain series that give you a feeling of awe when you start them, the sheer scale and possibilities get your brain going into overdrive...or if you were are dog called Basil then your tail would be wagging. For me this happened when I picked up the first book of Frank Herbert's Dune, Stephen King's Dark Tower and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. This has now happened again with The Hierophant's Daughter and it doesn't disappoint.

There are many great charact
Maddie O.
This was a realllllly weird one, but in a good way! I'd called it science fiction with a good helping of fantasy elements. It's set on a future Earth, but also has a whole well-developed alternate history. You definitely have to pay attention while reading this- and I'd recommend reading through the timeline (which came at the end of my ARC) before diving in. But I think it's totally worth it- you'll meet a disillusioned general turned governess turned possible savior of Earth, a snarky former g ...more
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earcs
3.5/5 Rounded up to 4

Review to come on April 30th.

Received the book in exchange for an honest review of my opinion for a Blog Tour
Maddie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
While the writing in this book was really lyrical and beautiful, I found the run-on sentences and the intense language really confusing and tricky to follow, and with my current run-down mood and my exhausting life, I just couldn't keep up with this book. The premise of immortal cannibal humans called martyrs just sounded so interesting, but unfortunately at the 20% mark still nothing was happening, and nothing was explained. The confusion just carried on throughout the book and I felt so lost. ...more
Kaffeeklatsch and Books
I had high hopes for this book as the premise sounded fascinating.
The story was quite confusing and I wish I'd have know about the timeline at the end of the book earlier.
Personally I found it an entertaining read . If you enjoyed The Passage by Justin Cronin or Stephen King books you might like this one.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an eARC.
Mark Martinico
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books begin slowly and simply, with the story gradually unfolding, and gently building. THE HIEROPHANT’S DAUGHTER conversely, hits the ground running, amidst a series of unfamiliar, intriguing events already in progress. A sci-fi/cyberpunk tale, with elements of fantasy and horror, it’s a thinking person’s thrill ride, revealing layers of complexity and backstory, amidst a series of fast-paced, globe-trotting twists and turns, all told in rather lyrical prose.
In science fiction and fantasy,
Jessica (Read book. Repeat)
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Painted Blind Publishing, and the author via netgalley.

I DNF'd this book at 22%.
I'd read reviews before starting this story so knew that it was possibly going to be hard to get through, but I was still optimistic. One review I saw had a great suggestion, flick to the back of the book and read the timeline before starting the actual story. I'm so glad that I did this otherwise I would have absolutely no clue what was going on or who anyone was.
Nat
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great lore. The world built by the author felt authentic So few fantasy and science fiction authors manage to do. Dominia is so noticeably flawed but still likable. This blend of genres flowed quite nicely. Look forward to the next 2 books.
Kayleigh
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hierophant’s Daughter is beautifully violent, reads like a dream and has some of the best world building I’ve ever come across. Can’t wait for this series!
Amber
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the future there are two kinds of humans in the world, and one of them eats the other. Dominia is a Martyr, but after the death of her wife, she is disillusioned with the way things are run and decides to defect to what amounts to a resistance.

I very much enjoyed this mix of cyberpunk, not-vampires, and the apocalypse. I think it does something a bit different with those elements, and I am here for it. The main character, Dominia, is fully realized and believably flawed, while also being lik
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
More reviews on my blog

The Hierophant’s Daughter takes place in the future, where there are two kinds of humans, the Martyrs and the normal humans. The Martyrs, led by the Hierophant, rules a big part of the Earth,and they can live for thousands of years. But in order to stay alive they must stay out of the sun and they have to eat humans.

La La
4.5 stars on the blog.

I love this author. Her writings are deeply thought provoking. I will be back with a review soon. I don't have time to do a proper job of it right now.
William Bitner Jr.
The Hierophant’s Daughter - Disgraced Martyr Trilogy - Book 1
By M.F. Sullivan

Genre - Fiction
Category - Science Fiction/Speculative Fiction/LGBT/Fantasy
Pages - 298
Publication Information - Painted Blind Publishing (May 19, 2019)
Reviewed by William C. Bitner, Jr. (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

I finished reading The Hierophant’s Daughter, Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, Book One by M.F. Sullivan a few days ago, and I’ve just be wondering what I can possibly say about this phenom
Koeur
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Publishing Date: May 2019

Publisher: Painted Blind

ISBN: 9780996539579

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 1.6/5

Publisher’s Description:By 4042 CE, the Hierophant and his Church have risen to political dominance with his cannibalistic army of genetically modified humans: martyrs. In an era when mankind’s inter-generational cold wars against their long-lived predators seem close to running hot, the Holy Family is poised on the verge of complete planetary control. It will take a miracle to save humanity from extinct
Michelle
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hierophant’s Daughter by M.F. Sullivan is the first book in the Disgraced Martyr Trilogy.

In a nutshell: In 1974, a visitor from another world came to the Earth. The Hierophant then began a slow and methodical political, religious and military takeover of the planet. Immortal, and backed by an army of genetically altered, cannibalistic humans known as Martyrs, his domination is imminent. Those humans who could afford it, fled to the safety of Mars leaving their poorer counterparts behind to
Strix
The premise: in a future where the world is controlled by a fascist theocracy ruled by vampires, our heroine's wife is dead and she's on a quest to find a heretic who can bring back the dead.

This book was weird. It presents itself in a very serious manner - love that cover - but at its heart it's a vampire thriller. Our heroine is a vampire warlord who was redeemed by the love of a human, but only partially - with her dead she's forced to really make some choices and defect from the ruling class
Stacy
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book by Sullivan that I've read and enjoyed. The first, The Lightning Stenographer, was much deeper and harder to follow than this one, but worth the effort. This story didn't throw me around as much, and even though it was more violent, didn't feel as dark to me. Of course, dark is a plus as far as I'm concerned, so bear that in mind.

The Heirophant's Daughter takes place in an alternate future and comes complete with a tim
Mary
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh the relationship between fathers and daughters. Is there a more special bond than that? What if your dad is a warlord/god and you are his wayward general? What about then?
Beautifully written, amazing characters and settings, and adventure throughout, this is a story that you can really get into! However, make sure you have the time to do so, because Sullivan is never short on words. The author describes in detail what is going on in the story and it can feel quite heavy at times. However, th
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hierophant's Daughter by M.F. Sullivan - 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫 4.5 / 5 STARS

This book was AMAZING. A great dystopian cyberpunk horror taking place far into the future with humans and Martyrs. Both are the same buuuut also not the same. You see, humans have the gruesome option of eating other humans
(mostly in desperate situations or they're either sick in the head) but Martyrs MUST eat humans in order to thrive. Oh, and avoid the sun.

Our leading lady is one of these Martyrs. Once a Governess, Dominia escape
Chwayita Damoyi
Great book, I enjoyed the premise a lot, lots of jargon to get through but I don't feel it takes away from the story or understanding what's going on. I enjoyed the side characters a lot, even the treacherous ones. I will say I couldn't care less about Cassandra and felt Dominia had more chemistry with her evil father than the supposed love of her life. Can't wait to read the second installment when all is said and done.
Kyle
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. The world building is spectacular, far reaching with great depth. At times the horror plays into the absurdly comic. Very original and unique characters that will be hard to forget. With regards to the world building it is extremely helpful to read the timeline in the back first. Things make a lot more sense. Highly recommend.
W B
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kinda vampirish. really liked this.
Nat
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such great lore. The world built by the author felt authentic So few fantasy and science fiction authors manage to do. Dominia is so noticeably flawed but still likable. This blend of genres flowed quite nicely. Look forward to the next 2 books.
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
Apr 15, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
I received an advance review copy through Netgalley. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

DNF at 41%.

The setup is interesting, but the pacing of the plot, worldbuilding, and writing style aren't really working for me — I'm feeling more frustrated than intrigued by the slow build. While I appreciate how sensitively this book deals with issues of prejudice and discrimination (most notably same-sex relationships and religion), acknowledging complexity and systemic power imbalances, as [almost
Kyra
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book received for free through NetGalley

I loved this book and the author makes it so easy to fall in love with the characters even though at the same time you can't believe this might happen. The book seems so legit and you can see this happening easily if such a protein was discovered.
Nightwing
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some families you are born into, some you choose. And some families are chosen for you. The Hierophant's Daughter, Dominia, has the third sort of family. Raised to rule over the human race she once belonged to, she is a warrior above all. But what a story that creates. Full of vivid imagery and convoluted relationships that defy description (but are well described nonetheless), this story is rich on many levels. And there's a dog!

It reminds me in many ways of Elizabeth Bear's Jacob's Ladder Seri
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Dominia is one of these martyrs. She is one of the Hierophant’s daughters, as well as his most feared general. But after her wife’s dead she is disillusioned and starts working agai

• The Red Labyrinth
  • Glow Book I, Potency
  • Docile
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Break (Flow #2)
  • Drift (The Flow Series Book 3)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass
  • The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)
  • Deadpool Killustrated (Deadpool Killogy, #2)
  • Deadpool Kills Deadpool (Deadpool Killogy, #3)
  • And We Call It Love
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Hungry Hearts
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Tigerlilja (Tales of the Wendy #0.5)
An Ohio native who attended college in Virginia before moving by train to Arizona, MF Sullivan is an author and playwright currently living in Southern Oregon. Sullivan is the author of DELILAH, MY WOMAN (2015) and THE LIGHTNING STENOGRAPHY DEVICE (2018), as well as the forthcoming DISGRACED MARTYR TRILOGY (2019-2020). All her work is available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Painted Blind Publ ...more

The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy (3 books)
  • The General's Bride (The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lady's Champion (The Disgraced Martyr Trilogy, #3)