Start by marking “The Ice House” as Want to Read:

(The Honours #2)

War doesn't end. It sleeps.

Delphine Venner is an old woman now. She is old, but she remembers everything. She remembers what it is to be a child of war, she remembers fighting for her life and she remembers what the terrifying creatures from another world took from her all those years ago. She remembers the gateway, and those she lost.

And in that other world, beast-filled
Published May 2nd 2019 by Canongate Books (first published May 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice House

Liz Barnsley
About 50 pages into this one I realised it was a sequel and the world built in it is way too complex to skip book 1 (The Honours). So shelving this as (part) read for now. Love the writing so I've ordered the first book and I'll be back!
Heidi Nibbelink
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Tim Clare’s latest novel, The Ice House, because of my high regard for Tim Clare as a generous, encouraging presence in the writing community. His excellent podcast, Death of 1000 Cuts, is full of insight, writing tips and exercises, and interviews with authors and publishing professionals.

Literary fiction is more my jam than fantasy, although I’ve read the classics like Tolkien and, more recently, George R. R. Martin and N.K. Jemison. I jumped into The Ice House without having read
Pile By the Bed
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tim Clare
Allen and Unwin $29.99
ISBN: 9781786894816
Cover Art: http://assets.allenandunwin.com.s3.am...

In 2015, Tim Clare released his debut fantasy book The Honours. That book felt like a reinvigoration of classic British fantasy. Set around a stately home, Alderberen Hall, in the 1930s, if focussed on a precocious 13 year-old called Delphine Venner. The Honours had everything readers might expect of a grand British fantasy – a gateway to another world, strange creatures, secrets and
Louise
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I made the very foolish mistake of not reading the first book first.
Because of this,I was baffled as to Who,why,where and what for a lot of this book.
I'm not joking when I say I almost gave up on it several times.
But as you see,I finished it,and gave it a better than average rating... because I enjoyed the writing style,even when I didn't know what was going on.
Also,almost every time I was ready to step sway,something would drag me back into the story,something weird and wonderful.
I won
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
I finished this book at 2 Am so there was no direct write up of the review other than, 'omg I loved it, go read it' and that felt insufficient haha.

I will say when I requested this on NetGalley I had no idea that it was the SECOND book, and really this was before I leaned my lesson on checking goodreads to see, so, I'm not putting the blame on them or me, it just happened that way haha. But that really didn't takeaway from the reading experience, not as much as I thought it would (so yes you cou
Gianna
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A stunning follow-up story to Tim Clare's The Honours, this is a gripping story that will definitely keep you on your toes. Slightly verging on the brink of gore at times, it is, nonetheless, a very interesting and fascinating fantasy read, revolving around Delphine and her appointed assassin, Hagar.

Truth be told, you probably have to read The Honours before moving to The Ice House, but the read i
Amanda
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ripping adventure of wild imaginings.

The unstoppable Delphine Venner is the heroine I've wanted to read all my life. The Ice House opens in 1930s Norfolk, and an elderly Delphine has been scarred by the loss of her friends and family. Seeking revenge, she embarks on a quest to save her loved ones. In the world of Avalonia, Delphine returns to her youth and is supported and thwarted by a cast of eccentric characters.

Clare's vivid writing sparkles with wit and originality.

The Ice House is the s
wearethecuriousbookclub
Thank you to the publisher for an advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

I did not want to rush through this epic fantasy novel created by Tim Clare!
Full of multi faceted creatures and characters, a blending of religion and urban fantasy, with a reassuring vision of a world which turns back time, I won't lie, I was annoyed when life intruded into my reading time and I was wrenched away from it all!

I loved that the female characters were strong, confident and kick ass, and that it
MuserShell
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to The Honours. Time has passed for Delphine, but there are still adventures to be had and strange new worlds to explore. Again beautifully written but this time with added Battle Nuns!
Michelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War doesn’t end it sleeps…

The Ice House is stunningly original and beautifully written. A complex literary fantasy which demands your full attention and doesn’t let go until the final climax!

Set approximately 70 years after the events in The Honours, Delphine, now in her mid 80s, finds herself thrust into the world of Avalonia, still searching for answers to what happened all those years ago in the grounds of Alderberen Hall.

The story boasts an incredibly imaginative and diverse cast of charac
Michelle Vess
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.M.
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is a lyrical fantasy with detailed world building and complex female characters. The other world has a range of humanoid/animal species each with their own culture and religion, and the scientific spin on how people can attain immortality was unlike any I've read. I liked that the characters are a range of ages and that there are quite badass women, too. (Although travelling to the other world, where most action takes places, makes Delphine a lot younger.)

Unfortunately, I didn't realise thi
Lucy H
Jun 11, 2019
L A
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Canongate and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't realise this was the second book in a series when I requested it. I wouldn't say you have to have read the first book but I think you'd definitely appreciate it more if you did.

From the outset this book felt like something a bit special. The writing is imaginative and evocative and the settings are wonderfully rich and complex. .

What I really liked about this book in particular were the strong
Alexandra de Laszlo
Benjamin Appleby-Dean
Jun 14, 2019
Beccameriel
Nicola Weideling
Delphine Venner is an old woman now. She is old, but she remembers everything. She remembers fighting for her life, the terrifying creatures from another world, the gateway they came through, and those she lost.

And in that other world, beast-filled and brutal, someone waits for her. Hagar, a centuries-old assassin, daily paying a terrible price for her unending youth, is planning one final death: that of her abhorrent master, the Grand-Duc. The death that will cost her everything. The death whic
Bonnie
May 10, 2019
Hannah
May 31, 2019
Ramona Wray
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, magic
Slightly better than the first installment, but still structurally messy. Too much working up to what amounts to not that much in the end.
Caro
added it
Sep 17, 2018
Tim Clare
Oct 08, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca