Start by marking “James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small” as Want to Read:

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  9,475 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children collects all of the beloved veterinarian's delightful tales for young readers—all of them perennial favorites.
This complete edition is a wonderful addition to the libraries of all readers, great and small. From the moving holiday miracle of The Christmas Day Kitten to the adorable, rascally antics of Smudge, th
Published October 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children

Jason Koivu
I don't always read a Christmas story this time of year, but when I do, I like it to be gushingly heartwarming, perhaps naively innocent, and if you want to throw a moral in there for good measure, by all means!

Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small has all that and more to spare! How can it not? I mean, just look at that title!

Does this shout "Christmas" to you? Perhaps not, but at least one of the stories happens during Christmas and others
This has been one of my favorite children's books ever. I read it to my children (now teenagers) countless times. The illustrations are gorgeous and the stories are an absolute delight.
Jean Poulos
I was looking for a relaxing feel good book and came across this collection of animal stories for children by James Herriot. The book is good for all ages as the language is not written down for children. There is also a story of the “Christmas Day Kitten”. Most appropriate for my December reading/listening.

I read this as an audiobook downloaded from Audible. The book is one and a half hours. Was so great to listen to Jim Dale narrate the book. Dale is the “Voice of Harry Potter” as he narrated
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2nd-grade
We are homeschoolers that use many ideas from the Charlotte Mason style of teaching. This book was my daughter's assigned reading for literature during 2nd grade. She is a bit behind in her reading skills, so this would probably be more 1st grade reading level for most Charlotte Mason homeschoolers. She would read for 15 minutes each day and then narrate orally to me what she had read about. It took her about three weeks to complete this book.

I liked this book because it was the first I've found
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Normally don't say I'm currently reading picture books or comic books on here because they either take a day to read them or I stopped counting them for my goal. Made an exception with this one though. Yes this was easy to read and you can easily finish this in a day or two, but for a picture book this isn't just for kids. Adults who like animals can enjoy these stories as well. Some of these stories aren't even about children, but adults with animals. I liked the message in most of these too th ...more
The best. This is what children's classics are all about! And I am fully aware that the are extracts from his adult series. The illustration with the story telling is top notch. True art. The narration with Jim Dale is unbeatable. Pure magic.
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I read this aloud to my kids (5 and 3) over the course of several days, and we all enjoyed it. The book contains true stories told by a veterinarian from about eighty (?) years ago or so. I was actually surprised that my kids liked it because the stories are very simple with not a lot of action. For example, one story is just about a dog who never barks; then once he sees his companion from his puppy days, he lets out a bark of joy; and then he doesn't bark ever again.

What I really liked about
H. P. Reed
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This audio book is the perfect way to hold children's attention during car rides. The charming stories, drawn from Herriot's own veterinary practice, create a still and interested audience in the back seat of the car. For ages 4 and up, and just as enjoyable for adults. Herriot isn't treacly, doesn't write 'down' for children and, unlike some animal stories author (yes, I mean you Jon Katz), doesn't use swear words in his work. Nothing like listening to a dog story with two young girls and heari ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
This is an outstanding collection of eight of James Herriot's true stories about his life as a veterinarian in 1940's Yorkshire, adapted for children and beautifully illustrated. Adults who enjoy Herriot's memoirs (begun in All Creatures Great and Small) will love introducing their children to his life through this wonderful collection. The book stands well on its own, however, with a slightly higher reading level than most books of this genre. The stories really capture country life during this ...more
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We first began reading this lovely book to our daughter when she was 3 years old. In retrospect it sounds so young, but I wanted her to learn about the natural world and to develop curiosity and compassion for all creatures, great and small. I wanted her to hear the richness of the author's voice narrating the richly described countryside or animals of the countryside. Our daughter is a huge animal lover, naturalist, and passionate learner about the natural world. Oh, she's also one brilliant re ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We loved these stories. I read all the Herriot books when I was 12 and I knew Logan would like his stories, especially the cat ones. I warn you that some of the stories are real tear-jerkers, all the more when they have touchingly happy endings. I did get a bit tired of having L lean round, peer into my face, and say "Mama, are you starting to cry?" over and over. "But mama," he'd say, "these are happy stories. You're not supposed to cry." Sigh.
Amy Kannel
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, readaloud
I've been hearing good things about this for a long time; I finally got my hands on a copy a few months ago and just finished reading it with my 4yo. We both loved it. A collection of about eight charming stories about ordinary animals (sheep, dogs, cats, horses) written by a country vet. Sweet stories and lovely illustrations.
Lucy Pollard-Gott
Delightful for reading aloud, these stories have some substance and so much warmth. I loved them too! And the illustrations are so beautiful, transporting one to another place (Yorkshire) and another time (Herriot's time, where life's ills that impinge on animals are met with compassion and goodness)--a good time and place to visit, at any time of our lives.
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming way to introduce kids to the wonderful stories of James Herriot. These are some selected tales suitable for children, beautifully presented with full color illustrations. I liked that they weren't just stories about household pets, but also about farm animals. I do wish that there had been a Tricky Woo story, though, since those are my kids' favorites from the adult books.
Ramona McConkie
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this and read it to the kids. I grew up on a farm, so the stories of the animals were especially meaningful, but my kids cried at several spots, and they've never had a pet. Just good, sweet, simple stories written very well with beautiful illustrations.
Angie Libert
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Debra Bates
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forget the children! these are heart-warming stories for animal lovers of all ages!
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful collection of stories. It is educational and high quality literature. Something I want my children to appreciate and love.
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third time through with my kids and still they love all these stories!
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous introduction to James Herriot for small children. My three-year-old and five-year-old liked it equally. The illustrations and beautiful, and the stories sweet and short. I recognized many of the stories from Herriot's original books. They've been cleaned up for children's benefit; the cow is going to the market instead of the knacker's, and so on.
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved introducing my Littles to one of my all time favorite authors/heroes. We listened to Jim Dale's reading and that made it even better.
Lydia Howe
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reviews
Why I Choose this Book

Our family got this book when I was a little itty bitty girl and who know how many childhood hours were spent pouring over this book and learning to love the art of storytelling through it's beautiful and enticing pages.
Last year I bought myself a copy so that if I ever have a family of my own I'll be able to share it with them, as well. It's that good.

What I Thought about this Book

I think this will forever be one of my favorite children's books. From the paintings to th
I read this book to my 2nd grader, little by little. Each chapter is a different story, and I recognized many of them from James Herriot's grown-up books about animals. The illustrations in the children's book are beautiful and interesting for little ones. My child's favorite story is the one called "Moses the Kitten," about the kitten who thinks he's a piglet. I like the friendly, extroverted nature of "Oscar, Cat-About-Town," and the story of "The Christmas Day Kitten," although my 2nd grader ...more
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sort of book you curl up with on a chilly rainy day with a mug of warm tea and a dog by your side or a cat on your lap. A must read for everyone.
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Delightful animal stories my daughter loved them all-especially the kitty stories. We will definitely be readying again!
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful book! I really like that the stories are more realistic - none of the animals talk or do human things, they're just animals that need help. There are some sad moments, but mostly happy and fun, and the sad moments are realistic and those that a child could easily experience with a pet of theirs. The illustrations are wonderful as well, and done in a more realistic style as opposed to a cartoon. This is a sweet, gentle book that highlights the importance of animals in our lives, ...more
Molly Grimmius
This is a beautiful book with beautiful pictures that is great great option for when you are transitioning your kiddos to chapter books by working on listening through longer stories. My kiddos greatly enjoyed the stories about all the animals and the vet who took care of them all in Yorkshire. Highly recommend for 3-5 year old kiddos. Would love to own this book.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my 3 and 4 year olds (girl and boy respectively) over the course of a few days. They loved the stories and we have since re-read several of them. These stories are gentle, humorous, and tender—wonderful for any age, (except for the youngest of readers). Our overall favorite was "Smudge, the lost lamb." The illustrations are wonderful!
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great collection of short stories culled from Herriot's books that are interesting enough to capture a young child's interest. Some were so loved, that my son begged me to read them several times. A good book for encouraging compassion for the animals of God's kingdom that we might encounter and the rewards that this compassion might bring in our lives.
Kate Boehmke
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most lovely collection of children’s stories and the illustrations are stunning. I have read these stories over and over to my children and they continue to listen to them on audio. Every child must have this collection in their library.
Goodreads Librari...: help with adding book to other edition 5 16 Sep 23, 2011 09:43AM
  • Dolphin Adventure (Dolphin Adventure #1)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Capyboppy
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Children's Book of Virtues
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose: A Treasury of More Than 300 Classic Nursery Rhymes
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

Nonfiction Deals

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99