Start by marking “Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed” as Want to Read:
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

Wilbur is different from the other Naked Mole Rats in his Colony, because he wears clothes (and he likes it!). But what will happen when Grandpah, the oldest, wisest, and most naked Naked Mole Rat ever discovers Wilbur's secret?

Funnyman and three-time Caldecott Honoree Mo Willems exposes the naked truth about being yourself and wearing it well.
Published January 6th 2009 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

Miriam
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Naked mole rats dress better than I do.
Intisar Khanani
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Last night I wrote a blog post relating to the spread of bans against wearing burkinis at beaches in France, Italy, and Morocco. It was a personal post, about my love of swimming and what the burkini affords me, and how much I love teaching my kids to swim and playing with them in the water.

Today, my four year old daughter picked this book up at the library. There could not have been a more perfect book for me to read with her. Really. This book should be required reading for anyone parked in th
Matt
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mo Willems branches out to write this standalone piece that still entertains his young readers. Wilbur is a naked mole rat with a different; he prefers to wear clothes. While he stands firm, his fellow mole rats chastise him relentlessly. Wilbur asks the simple question, ‘Why not?’ when told that naked mole rats do not wear clothing. This makes its way up the chain of command to the Grand-pah leader. A proclamation is made and the naked mole rat community learns the fate of Wilbur’s decision to ...more
Kaethe
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
July 4, 2009

There's a reason it's on the best-seller list. You got to love those naked mole rats, they know how to have a good time. And, how to wear fun clothes.

***

June 24, 2014

From most any one else I'd give it fives stars, but Willems has delighted me with so many other books, that this one isn't quite as fabulous as...
Ronyell
Mole Rat

You know, the moment that I saw Mo Willems’ name on this book, I just knew that I had to pick this book up since I have been loving everything that Mo Willems had thrown at me! This particular book that I had just recently picked up is called “Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed” and I was quite surprised by the title of this book and I wanted to see how Mo Willems would make this book just as interesting as his other works!

There are three things you should know about naked mole rats:

1. They are a litt
midnightfaerie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A cute story by one of our favorite children's authors, Mo Willems. Showing off some great illustrations with the naked moles and the different outfits, it's about a naked mole rat who likes to wear clothes and is considered silly because of it. A great lesson in respecting people (or naked mole rats) with differing opinions, this one will be sure to delight those that hate getting dressed. My 5 yr old was tickled by this story, and my twin 3 yr olds, could give or take it. They weren't quite as ...more
Kirsti
No wonder people love this author so much! This is funny and entertaining and contains the word "sarcastic," which is an important term for small children to learn. It also has a comforting message about nonconformity. I think my favorite part was the little sign on the endpaper that said "No Shirt, No Shoes, Service."
Kathryn
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mo Willems' books always make me grin...and be thoughtful. What a splendid combination! I've had my name on the library holds list for this for weeks now and was quite thrilled when it came my turn to read it. Perhaps all that anticipation meant that it couldn't QUITE live up to my expectations, but I still really enjoyed the story. It's a bit heavy on the "moral" -- not to a frustrating or didactic extent, but it's just rather obvious. That said, it's of course a great message (be yourself, no ...more
Robyn Char
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is charming and hysterical. The premise: A naked mole rat defies societal norms by choosing to express himself through clothing. While the concept scandalizes his peers at first, soon the community comes to realize that there is no wrong way for a naked mole rat to dress (or not dress). As always, Willems writes with an economy of words that nonetheless has me laughing out loud. The colorful illustrations contribute to the general message: it takes all kinds and all colors to make a tr ...more
Tanya
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book about having the confidence to be yourself.
Debrarian
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Here are three useful things to know about naked mole rats:

1. They are a little bit rat.
2. They are a little bit mole.
3. They are all naked.

Except... for Wilbur.
Wilbur is the naked mole rat exception. In fact, you could say that Wilbur is a little bit weird.
You know what is so weird about Wilbur?
He likes to get dressed.
Imagine! A naked mole rat... who isn't naked!
None of the other naked mole rats can understand it. You don't see them running around wearing clothes, now do you? So what's up with
Tasha
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Willems newest is a satisfying and funny picture book, just what we have come to expect from him. Wilbur is a naked mole rat who prefers to wear clothes, something unheard of in the mole rat society. Wilbur doesn't understand why there is anything wrong with clothes, so the other mole rats go to complain to Grand-pah who was very wise. He thought for some time and then decides to make a proclamation. Wilbur heads to the proclamation wearing only blue socks, knowing that it is very important and ...more
Crystal Bandel
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems, published 2009.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Kirkus Reviews, reviewer not identified.

Naked mole rats are supposed to always be naked, but Wilbur's a mole rat who likes to get dressed. The other naked mole rats make fun of Wilbus and try to change his mind, but Wilbur resists, and eventually it's up to the great Grand-pah naked mole rat to make a decision about clothes. This book is a fun and humorous take on the it's-okay-to-be-differe
Luann
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, picture-book
This is another one I read aloud with my young nephew while he was here over the summer. Too fun! My nephew loved the simple illustrations - who wouldn't love pages full of naked mole rats? Where does Mo Willems get his odd ideas that always turn out to be brilliant? I love that Wilbur, the naked mole rat who likes to get dressed, asks the question, "Why not?" This would be a great story to use in a lesson on peer pressure. It could also work well to generate discussions about how we treat peopl ...more
Peacegal
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book’s rodent star is tired of being a naked mole rat—he loves to put on his duds and go out on the town! The other naked mole rats are shocked and scandalized, and they go to the wise old leader of the colony to settle the matter once and for all. Surprise—he concludes that wearing clothes, if you like to, can be A-OK, and even he likes dressing up at times too. A humorous twist on the theme of nonconformity and acceptance.
The Brothers
Another fun story by Mo Willems about a naked mole rat, Wilbur, who enjoys wearing clothing. This enrages this other naked mole rats who insist on having Grand-Pah sort things out. When they tell Grand-pah about Wilbur's effrontery to ask "why not?" when it comes to clothing, this gives Grand-pah a pause. Indeed, why not? And after a proclamation by Grand-pah, the naked mole rats are free to wear or not to wear clothes to their heart's content.

Groovy illustrations.
Marilyn
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a funny reversal. One naked mole rat dared asked "Why not?". Favorite line "Grandpa was the most regal, the most heroic, the most...naked." Hmmm...degrees of nakedness. This book brings up a philosophical issue. A flippant "why not?" (throw out the things that are good/worthy/right/deserving of our best efforts) gives us moral relativism. A sincere "Why not?" within the Tao (as C. S. Lewis says in Abolition of Man) can change everything for the better.
Dolly
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, humor
Cute illustrations and a mole rat with a flair for individualism make this book very funny as well as a good example for children. You do not always have to follow the crowd; if you have a great idea that is different from what everyone else is doing, you never know...you might start a new trend yourself. Our girls like this book a lot (actually, they pretty much like everything Mo Willems writes) and we read it again at the library.
Samantha
Jan 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books
I get that it's supposed to be about accepting those who are different from you, but that's not why I read Mo's books. I like him because he is humorous and fluffy. This wasn't as good as his past work.
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
It's simple, it's clever, it's fun, it's cute and it's something adults can enjoy too. Just because something has always been a certain way, doesn't mean that it should remain that way. Live and let live!
Jim
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A little bit of weirdness from the great Mo Willems. My 2nd-grader thought it was funny.
Ryan
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about being okay with being different, and that you shouldn't judge something until you try it. My only problem is that its too long to read at most story times.
Mary Mest
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"There are a few things you need to know about Naked Mole Rats.
1. They are a little bit Rat.
2. They are a little bit Mole.
3. They are all naked. "

I loved Wilbur!
Jane Maple
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laurie Brumbaugh
If the word "naked" bothers you, skip this one. If, on the other hand, you find it (and naked mole rats themselves) hysterical, check this one out right away! I don't know how I missed this Mo Willems book until today, but now it is one of my favorites! This seems like one that could work for multiple age groups. I think older elementary students would find it really funny, but preschoolers who are just learning about social norms (like wearing clothing in public) would probably get a kick out o ...more
Manuela
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mommy 5 stars: this this was a cute book. I like the lesson of challenging status quo. Just because we always did it this way doesn’t mean we have to continue. Change is good sometimes. Why not?

Maxwell: 3 stars: I think the story is a moral. The lesson in this fiction story is that not all naked mole rats need to be naked. Sometimes they need to wear clothes. Hahahahhaha.

Leila: 5 stars: bc I want to keep it in MY bookshelf! I wanna bring it to school. And then I wanna put it under my covers. An
Rachel
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this at my clothing themed story time today (10/03/2017). The children were interested and sat through it just fine, but the parents in the room were busting out laughing. While the children enjoyed the abundant usage of the word 'naked'. their parents enjoyed the humor that only Mo Willems is able to create. They especially enjoyed the side note about naked mole rats being saracastic. It was a good story time day for EVERYONE.
Melissa Charlton
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally came across this book in my school library the other day. I couldn't stop laughing when I realized what it was about. I chose this book to read to my students on the first day of class because not only is it hilarious (and has the word naked in it which of course makes the kids laugh), but it has a really good message about inclusion, individuality, empowerment, and just overall being proud of who you are. Love this book!
The Reading Countess
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This one arrived on the publishing scene in the height of the naked mole rat craze. I know, because my oldest son was a fanatic for a kids’ show with one in it at the time.

Kudos to Willems for striking while the iron is hot and for the simple message embedded inside its cover.

Be yourself, people.

Now, move it along. Theses nothing to see...
  • Little Hoot
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • The Big Elephant in the Room
  • I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
  • Cupcake
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r