Start by marking “Windows 96” as Want to Read:
Windows 96

Windows 96

It is 1996. Teenage Alex languishes in his garage den smoking weed, imagining a future of travel and sunshine between completing chores set by his mother. The date is set, the only hurdle is cash. While mowing the front lawn he meets double-glazing salesman, Fox, and lands a job as a canvasser for Baston Window company.

Money issues and empty days are over. Alex gets sucked
Published January 28th 2019 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about Windows 96, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows 96

Julie Parks
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Two of the best things about this book are:

1. the timing which is set in the nineties and which also means that the characters' lives are NORMAL and half of a YA story need not be devoted to him checking or not checking his social media etc.

2. it really reads like something that's been written by a teenager. His thoughts are often jumbled, feelings jump from exaggerated rage/confusion to mellow I-don't-give-a-shit.

This was a fast page-turner mainly because of those two aspects. But also I felt
Maile
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were certain aspects of this book that I really liked! For example, the fact that it was was set in the 90's was a plus! I really like books that are historical/or in the past (or before modern day), so this book was very appealing. I also liked the main characters experiences. They were very easy to relate to- although I couldn't related to his personality, but his thoughts were very his age, if you get what I mean. It also was a very fast read, meaning that it pulled me in- mainly becaus ...more
Alexina
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn't really get into this one, though I tried really hard. It is a solid character study and I like the protagonist, Alex, but I couldn't connect with him.

Also some parts of the plot confused me but it might be because it was hard for me to remain interested so my mind wandered.
Andy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having only bought this book a couple of days ago and finishing it so quickly, says a lot about how much I enjoyed it.

I grew up in the 90s and the book transported me back there, to a time before social media and mobile phones. The nostalgia of the music and party scene brought back some great memories.

The book went at a good pace and I found I could really relate to Alex’s struggles growing up in a small dead end town and trying to get ahead. It captures the fumbling progress towards adulthood
Sophie