Start by marking “Kogitsune (Takamagahara Monogatari, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kogitsune (Takamagahara Monogatari, #1)

Kogitsune

(Takamagahara Monogatari #1)

A coming of age story set in medieval Japan. A friendship between a young fox god and his human childhood friend is built on deception, but grows stronger and purer as it's driven by common purpose. However, the vast differences of the worlds they live in can't be ignored, as their relationship is frowned upon by both humans and spirits.

As Kogitsune's feelings for his huma
Published November 27th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Kogitsune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kogitsune

Start your review of Kogitsune (Takamagahara Monogatari, #1)
Shile
5+++++++ Little Swordsmith. And Little Fox, stars

What a cute little story. It really did warm my heart. I went to bed smiling and woke up wanting to start my day on a positive note, so I read it again.

After reading Horoku’s story, I felt exhausted and kinda empty and in need of fluff. Then a sweet little birdie suggested I try this one. I was not disappointed.

This was me, throughout the book.

description

My first glimpse of the world was of a wide open sky covered in white clouds, on a spring morning whe
Jerecho
A nice short story...

For book reviews and related concerns just don't check my blog, I don't have one 😃😅😂🤣
Shin Mon Thway
40 pages and 80 buckets of tear! 😂😭 I don’t know what’s wrong with me but lately, every single book I read is making me cry .. well, in a good way but still, making me ugly cry. 😭 As someone who’s familiar with Japanese folklore and mythologies, I found this book extra special and beautiful. Kitsune aka foxes are magical creatures in Japanese culture and they have always held these wonderful creatures close at heart. So to read a coming-of-age love story about a minor fox god and a human was jus ...more
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

A really sweet Japanese fable depicting how the fox god Kogitsune, earns his tails.

Tender, poignant - a fulfilling romance despite life’s disappointment and heartache and navigating tough decisions.

However, there’s still hope, there’s still fulfillment, and a renewal of what’s lost, leaving the reader with a very satisfying ending.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is full of bubbling emotions and so much of love, love and love. And forgiveness and guilt and softness despite the fantastical elements. I got to learn a bit about Japanese deities and culture. But it is the sizzling chemistry between the main characters that got me so happy!
And for the love of books, I cried more than once while reading this short book! There's too much cuteness overload...and love.
*Feeling so single all over again*
Hollis
This is such a sweet, magical, little story of the birth, and early years, of a kitsune; a fox god. As he discovers the world around him, he also meets a human boy, and they develop a sweet friendship that, over time and after reuniting after a separation where they each grow into their own, becomes a romance.

Despite how short this story is, Lake nonetheless manages to perfectly set the scene, delving into Japanese folklore and myth, all through the eyes of a curious and adorable protagonist, wh
Xia Xia
Nov 24, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
READ ONLINE | DOWNLOAD from SMASHWORDS | BUY from AMAZON

description

Since more than 1 friend asked me if this is a HEA, HFN or a tragedy I thought of answering this under a spoiler tag in here and not in the blurb, because I have a very good friend who would strangle me for spoiling the ending in the blurb *wink at my friend*.

(view spoiler)

description

description["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Elena
Kogitsune is at the same time adorable and solemn and, with its weird mix, it brought me right back to the days I spent reading manga, immersed in the fascinating contradictions of Japanese culture. It was like coming home.
4 stars because I need more. :P
Moony Eliver
It would not be fair for me to rate this because I helped with beta reading and feedback, but I do want to give my friends a heads up about it. I only offer to beta read Xia Xia's work because her writing is so good, and this story captivated me. Hope you enjoy it too! xx
Suki Fleet
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know I don’t rate many books on here but this was lovely^^ Beautiful compelling writing. Also foxes (kitsune) <3 ...more
Gabi
I'm impressed! I loved this story completely, combined with the wonderful writing, it is truly remarkable and captivating.

Obviously I know nothing about the original story. And obviously this isn't something I usually read. Did I feel lost among all those unfamiliar names? A bit, yes. But there is a cheat sheet. Use it! :) And I also knew some of them, since I have read some Japanese manga in the past. And let me just say they're very big on their Gods and Spirits. :)

[Kitsune]
Kogitsune

There is some not s
Eugenia
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, if I could only have my own fox god! 🦊

Sweet.....Tender....💕
I loved this pared-down retelling of a classical, Japanese play! It’s simplicity reminded me of the style I so often expect when reading myths and legends. Yet, the simplicity of these tales belie the importance and meaning they contain. They have been used to teach and entertain, but also to explain the world to generations. It is this aspect of the tale that drew me in—that it was so old, but yet dealt with love, loss, heartbreak,
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
THIS WAS SO KAWAII and everything I was hoping for when picking up a story about kitsune and Japanese folklore.

To me, there is a difference between a fairytale/folklore story and fantasy. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but they just read and feel different. This story, though it's short, completely captured that whimsical and magical feeling that so many authors struggle with.

The world is interesting and complex and the way the world was explained, through baby Kogitsune as he lear
Tamara
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Re-read May 2020
Reading this after finishing Shinigami, knowing what I know, made this story very bitter-sweet (view spoiler). It's definitely worth reading it both before and after Shinigami.

Original review - Feb 2020
A sweet short (too short! I need more!) story about a kitsune and his human friend.
The writing evokes an ambient that is reminiscent of Ghibli movies and my favorite anime ever - Natsume Yuujinchou.
annob
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I wish I had the skills to write something as beautiful as Kogitsune!

It's a story with grace and a flow that's is perfect to conjure the atmosphere of the time and place. Not that I'm an expert on Japan and on its history, quite the contrary, but the story doesn't require the reader to be read in on the matter. We're taken on the journey and get explanations about the world it's set in woven into the story as it evolves.

Did I say beautiful already?! 🦊🖤
Rachel
5 Sensational Stars

What a fantastic story. Per the author: "This is a retelling of Kokaji, a Noh Theatre play from Japan, about a famous swordsmith helped by the Inari God to forge a special sword for Emperor Ichijo (980-1011) which will be called “Kogitsune-maru”."

It is lyrical, mystical, romantic, and heartwarming. I was absolutely charmed. There is so much heart and beauty packed into this short tale; I would love to read more about this young fox god and his human childhood friend.

There are
Cristina
What a beautiful and tender story, soaked in Japanese legends and folklore.

I really loved it. The characters are well rounded and characterised in a deeply human way. Even Kogitsune, the Little Fox god, is insecure and astounded by the world and its mysteries.

A very short read (unfortunately!) but so full of charm and so well written, I'll definitely go back to it over and over again to put a smile on my face.
Kazza
Japanese folklore and mythology combine in an ethereal retelling of a Japanese theatre play. Kogitsune the story of young love at first, then lasting love between a kitsune deity and a human who forge their names together in more than a shrine.

Tolerance and understanding are cornerstones of this particular tale.

Don't know how to rate it just yet, and I'd like to blog review it once I process my feelings some more.

Little Swordsmith.
And Little Fox.
Rosa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I loved this short story. I wish this would have been a long novel though. The ambiance, the descriptions and the characters are just perfect.
After my last two failures I needed this. I picked this up because Japan and its folckore never fail for me. This tale about a Kokaji and Kogitsune is just perfect. I'm not sure if the Noh play which inpires this tale is so sweet. Knowing a bit about Japanese literature I'd said no, but still I loved this.
Reading this was more special after my
Karolina Cebula
Kogitsune is a young fox god who's trying to get to know himself and learn the world he lives in. When one day he crosses paths with a human child, their fates intertwine inseparably. Thanks to young Kokaji, Kogitsune not only experiences friendship and love, but also learns the pain of a broken heart and feeling of betrayal. However, sometimes unpleasant experience is not enough for two beings to go their separate ways.

"Kogitsune" is the first part of "Takamagahara Monogatari" series by Xia Xia
Pam
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorties

Adorbs. And super informative. Kitsunes have popped up a little here and there in my reading, but never with much detail. This was really nice.
Lisa Pickren
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so cute! I really liked both Kogitsune and Kokaji. And I really liked the writing style, too. It flowed smoothly and clearly and I could see the scenes and I got into the story easily. And I have no background with Japanese mythology (not to mention the language or names!) but I was able to follow the story and get really into it.
Despite the short length, I thought the world was interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more in the series!
Steph ☀️
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful 💓

Very well written for such a short read. I can’t imagine if giving this story was to expand, what this author could develop.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This is my fourth book about Japanese Myths and I loved it. My only issue was that it was too short. I wanted more.
Joyfully Jay
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

Kogitsune is the first in a series of supernatural, historical love stories set in medieval Japan. This is a remarkable piece of historical fiction, blending Japanese folklore, myth and the supernatural into a quiet and touching romance. Kogitsune and Kokaji connected in a way that was not usual or expected, and is opposed by both the god and human realms. I wished that we had longer to observe their love, to see how Inari would handle his foxling falling in love
Achim
It's the stuff legends are made of before they become those legends rooted deep into a country's mythology, where legendary swords are forged and gods influence the fate of dynasties, where heros and the forces of nature have to bridge their differences, where heartbreak is inevitable and love nevertheless is meant to be ... but all of that (except the heartbreak) is in the future of this past.

Here only boy saves the life of another and an unlikely friendship blossoms into something more that i
▪️◾️▪️ Jenvile ▪️◾️▪️
The only sin is that this book should have been longer. It was beautiful, warm and so sweet.
Lioness7
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book because it was short and the historical genre isn't my absolute favorite. I thought the plot sounded interesting though and figured I would give it a shot.

This was such an interesting story. It was written like a fairy tale and really showed a lot of emotion in such few pages. I loved reading it.

The only thing about the story that I could have asked for more of is a longer ending. I got finished reading and wished it would have kept going for one or two hundred more p
Meraxes Targaryen
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I've already said before that I'm not very fond of short stories, but DUDE !!! This was amazing, magical, melancholic (in some parts) and alluring, the way the author describes the magic of this mythology is out of this world! Really beautiful.

5 stars !!
QuietlyKat
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kogitsune was a really lovely, gentle, magical short story. In the past I’ve said that I hesitate to give short stories 5 stars simply because I wonder how much depth and plot development you can fit into a short story. I think I need to rethink and revise my stance. Though Kogitsune is a short story, it packed depth, beauty and the warmest, most poignant feels into the perfect little package. I am REALLY looking forward to Shinigami, the next book in the series.

• Book of Orlando (Mortal and Divine #1)
  • Deven and the Dragon
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Feralsong (Green Creek #3.5)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • Project Hero
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Unhallowed (Rath and Rune, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • A Surplus of Light
Weeb. LGBTQ+ Reader. She/her. Ace.
Author of Takamagahara Monogatari series. Used to cosplay until a kid asked if he could take a picture with the "old lady".

Find me on:
TWITTER | SMASHWORDS | TAPAS

"Shinigami" was the winner of both Best Gay Fantasy and Best Gay Debut in the 2018-2019 Rainbow awards.

2020 Reading Challenge

Also this:

description

Takamagahara Monogatari (2 books)
  • Shinigami (Takamagahara Monogatari, #2)

News & Interviews

“There are many kinds of love. There is the love one feels for his sire for breathing life into his bones. There is the love for brothers, and there is the love for friends. And then is the love that brings the heaviest of heartaches.” 2 likes