Start by marking “Kind: a Christmas short story of post-WWII Munich” as Want to Read:
Kind: a Christmas short story of post-WWII Munich

Kind: a Christmas short story of post-WWII Munich

Lt. Neil Hudson is sure to have a rotten Christmas.

How can he have anything but a rotten Christmas when he's stuck in war-torn Germany away from his family, friends, and all hope of a decent turkey dinner?

That's when the Slades come into his life.
Kindle Edition, 1, 23 pages
Published December 22nd 2018 by Reveries Co.

To ask other readers questions about Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kind

Start your review of Kind: a Christmas short story of post-WWII Munich
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Reveries Co. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

A charming, quick story, Kind touched my heart with its thoughtfulness and depth. I love a great WWII tale, and this little shorty fit the bill nicely. The characters were realistic and the compassion, tangible. I adored the German setting and felt the Christmas spirit throughout. My emotions were swiftly drawn in with the witty banter and then swept up
Hannah
5 stars

Neil Hudson is the protagonist of the tale, and I instantly bonded with a lonely military man feeling growly about Christmas away from home. When he accidentally stumbles on a family in need, though, my heart went head over heels for him, and for what he did when he started reaching out to them. So many books automatically portray all Germans as bad, but this view is fresh and engaging; the German people were all too often the first victims of Hitler's regime. Here is a warm and Godly fa
Kellyn Roth
Now available for preorder: CLICK!

Coming December 22nd! Mark your calendars. ;)
Faith
A short story set in German a few months after the end of WWII? Sign me up!

This short, heart-warming tale by indie author Kellyn Roth did not disappoint. The teasing banter between Neil, Kell, and Clive was so fun and guy-typical. And the Slade family—ahh, they were darling!

A sweet story, full of Christmas spirit.

Four crush caps out of five!

**I received a copy of this story from the author in exchange for my honest review.**
Lilian
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ownedebooks, reviews
Kind was such a sweet, sweet story! It's the perfect Christmas story to read to warm your heart. ❤ Neil, the main character, is such a sweetheart, and so is the Slade family! I loved seeing how they grew together as friends- so close that they became family to each other.

Basically, the whole story reminds me of one word: sweetness. :D

Highly recommended to anyone who loves a nice and sweet short story. ❤
Jes Drew
This story was so atmospheric and really takes you back to the 1940s right after World War II. We follow a young soldier who knows nothing good is coming to him this Christmas, or even future Christmases. But then he meets a German family in need and everything changes. A very poignant, thoughtful story perfect for Christmas.

I received a complimentary copy from the author and the opinions are my own.
E.F.B.
*** I received a copy of the e-book from the author in exchange for a review. ***

What a sweet little story! I love WWII-era fiction and Christmas stories, so this being a combination of both made me extra happy. The writing was excellent, and I love how it revolved around how an American soldier and German family were able to put their differences aside and bring some love and kindness into each other’s lives. I 100% recommend it as a perfect read for the holiday season.
Bea Williams
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
My comments whilst reading...

- These three are really sweet...
- Love is the best therapy...
- AWWWWW!

I loved the message of this story - that helping somebody can change your life in ways that you never imagined. In this case, love really was the best therapy. It was taking the time to care about somebody other than himself that started to pull Neil out of his grey mood, and that is a very important message - especially at Christmas, when it can be very easy to get self-absorbed and think only of
Angela R. Watts
A sweet story that sweeps you back in time and shows how much people can truly help and love each other in terrible circumstances. Loved it!
Rebekah Morris
A short but sweet Christmas story. There were a few times I found it a bit hard to picture the setting, but the characters were well done. It’s not often I read a story set in Germany after WWII, so that was neat.
There was one euphemism in this story.
Angie Thompson
A sweet and relatable little Christmas story. It's actually not focused that much on Christmas but focuses on a young American soldier's growing relationship with a German family in post-war Munich. Actually, the communication difficulties and the fact that everyone didn't always understand what everyone else was saying was one of my favorite parts of the book, but the story moved along really well in spite of it. (And I loved the scene where Neil was mentally interpreting the children's argumen ...more
Ember Turner
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All readers
Recommended to Ember by: Kellyn Roth
Shelves: ww2
This story is amazingly well written and was a great short read that I had the privilege of Alpha reading.

This young man, an American soldier, who would rather be at home with his family soon finds himself with another family in war-torn Germany. But only because he chooses to be kind and helpful.

This story has a strong message about family and how helping others can change lives.

Such a great story Kellyn. You should be proud of yourself!
Victoria Goodbrand
Lovely story!

this was such a sweet little story! I loved how the family welcomed Neil. I would love to see more of these characters in the future! :DD
Michaela Bush
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect short story to get you in the Christmas mood! I loved reading it. The guys and their banter were so funny, and I love the German family that Neil befriended. A true testament to the spirit of kindness (hence the title I guess xD) and gentleness in the fact of post-war Germany. It's very realistic and easy to imagine; the kind of story that just transports you there.
**I received a review copy in exchange for an honest review.
Parker Hankins
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This story was very, very nice! I loved the character immediately, and the story pulled me in from the start. It was an awesome Christmas story!!

You must read it!!

Not cliche, not cheesy, and just awesome Christmasyness!! (Yes, that's supposed to be a word but it isn't. :()
Bridget Marshall
Mother-son relationships + big brother-younger sibling relationships + war aftermath + enemy soldier befriending civilian family + language barriers = some of my favorite elements to read about in a story. And the ending *almost* made me tear up.
Liz F.
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet little Christmas story!!

Kell has a lovely writing style and for this story, it was no different! :) Reading Kind made me feel at home and comfortable!

The talk and bickering between Neil, Kelly, and Clive was hilarious... I loved reading that part! ;)
The last part of the story was really meaningful as well.

I highly recommend this short story!
5 stars. :D

*I received a review copy in exchange for an honest review.*
Abigail
I really, really liked this short story. I really liked how the Slades were displayed. I love WW2 books that are set in Germany during and after the war. They display that not all Germans were these cruel, harsh people. They were going through the same difficulties everyone else was. They suffered more than most countries because Germany had everyone bombing them.

I highly recommend this short story. It was really good!! :D
Mary
I loved the concept of the story even before I read it, but the execution wasn't the greatest. The writing wasn't stellar--it was decent, but there was a lot of "telling" rather than dramatized scenes--and the story and most of the characters weren't well-developed. I am glad I bought and read it, since I've heard good things about the author from friends.
Loretta Marchize
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars

Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5

Characters:
For such a short story, these characters were very well developed, and stuck with me long after the story ended.
Plot:
For such a short story it was really good. I want more, of course, but what it does have I like!
Overall:
Very good! Short stories aren't always really my thing, I prefer long complex books, but this was good!
S.G. Willoughby
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this sweet short story! It was well-written, and I especially appreciated how well-developed the characters were in such a short space... even with a large cast for a short story, they each had a character arc. Like, how? I loved how real the interactions felt... between the soldiers, between the children, and in the language barriers. <3 (I also enjoyed the Minnesota and Arizona references... I'm from AZ, and one of my best friends is from MN.) ...more
Emily
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve had this downloaded for awhile, but had wanted to wait til closer to Christmas. I’m so glad I did! I haven’t read anything for the season yet and this was the perfect way to get into it. Such a sweet story! It definitely inspires the reader to reach out in this busy time and connect with others that could use a little kindness.
Kind is largely character-driven, and with such delicious characters! I would love to see them reappear in a later work.
Erika Mathews
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short historical story! Great characters, interactions, and message. Excellent holiday read - I highly recommend it.
R.A.
I really liked this!! Neil and his friends cracked me up … I needed more of his buddies, that's for sure! They had such funny personalities!

I love that Neil befriended a German family. So sweet!

*I received an ARC copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.*
Tori Easter
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Truly a touching story!
Germaine
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this short story from the author as a free ebook in exchange for an honest review.*

A heartwarming and fluffy short story that's absolutely perfect for a Christmas read!

What I liked:
-The characters were amazing. Neil and the Slades were so sweet.
-The German. All the German. I loved how Neil and the Slades were able to get over their language barrier and help each other out.
-The dialogue felt so realistic! I could almost hear the characters talk.

What I didn't like:
-I felt a certain cha
Suzanne Cefola
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice short story with a great message:)
Debbie Trammell
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet story

I am sure it was very hard on the servicemen being away from home especially on the holidays. And I am sure the German people had a very hard time for a long time after the war. So nice to see real love in this story. Looking forward to reading Kellyn other books.
Caroline
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Clean short story

Pleasant heart-warming wartime short story. Reminds you to be open to new friendships and to help others as you are able.

• Live Without You
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Emmanuel
  • The Promise of Jesse Woods
  • Homeward
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
  • The Least of These
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Love Blind
  • These Three Things
  • The Great Lab Escape (The Kitten Files #0.5)
  • Plan to Fail (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #2)
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • Shoot Like a Girl (An Annie Oakley Mystery #0.5)
  • The Ghost of Madison Avenue
  • The Terror
  • Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7)

Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women's fiction and romance author. Sound boring? Well, she includes lots of adorable children and mischievous animals—as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Kell lives on a ranch in North-Eastern Oregon with her family, crazy border collies, conceited fluffy cat, and assorted cows and chickens.

Other than authoring, she blogs, teaches young writers to

News & Interviews