Start by marking “Not Today: How I Chose Life” as Want to Read:
Not Today: How I Chose Life

Not Today: How I Chose Life

“I know that one day I’ll kill myself, because I don’t know how to stop feeling this way but it won’t be today.
In the meantime I’m going to do the best I can to enjoy every single day and then on the day that I die, in many, many years time, I’ll look back and realise that I didn’t get around to doing it.”

“With this simple revelation I found a way to live. It may not hav
Published November 20th 2018 by Sophie Cook Talks

To ask other readers questions about Not Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Today

Start your review of Not Today: How I Chose Life
Christopher Gull
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve known Sophie since she came to Brighton, so was keen to read her book, and learn about her life. This is her first book, and is an impressive first book. She is able to create a real sense of place, a real sense of what it felt,smelt,and looked like, whether it be the dressing room of a football club, or on stage at a concert, performing in the Middle East, or lonely in a Birmingham cottage. There are some very detailed passages invoking things I’ve not known about before...punk music, mili ...more
Mattyrays
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophie has really opened my eyes to the struggles of being transgender.

I’m a bit squeamish, so some sections were difficult to read, yet vital to understand her struggles. As Sophie says, “you need the horrors of the lows to understand the redemption.”

This book is such a rollercoaster ride of emotions and educational too; I couldn’t put it down!

PS - I love the star fish analogy!
Mick O'Toole
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read. I knew Steve and I can remember some of the RAF and Saudi stories. I haven’t met Sophie yet but hope to do so in the future.
Sally Harvey
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book.You really feel her pain .A brave lady
Robina Baine
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well- written, searingly honest and beautifully heartbreaking. A must read so a brilliant Christmas present - you, and your friends, will love it.
Charlotte Thomas
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - superbly written with pace and conviction.
Debbie
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to know Steve, and I'm proud to know Sophie. When I say 'know', I actually knew very little. Not Today: How I Chose Life, is an interesting, educational and emotional account of an incredible life journey. Well written, and with humour and honesty, I really enjoyed my bedtime reading! Looking forward to the next installment Sophie! x
Monica E.
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Always stay strong. Always stay true to yourself'. This is the inscription Sophie put in my copy of her book.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Sophie for over ten years. As Steve he took all my PR photos and you would expect they have yet to be surpassed. This book is awesome. Sophie gives the most frank and open account of her life and the daemons which plagued her all her life. It will make you cry and laugh at the same time. Not Today is an insight into her struggle with these daemons and how
Andy Wolage
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have seen Sophie talk about her life. I was most impressed by her honesty. She has a willingness to lay her soul bare, in order to help others struggling with their identity to realise that they are not alone. Despite the difficulties in Sophie's life, what shines through over the course of this book is compassion, empathy and a willingness to educate. This is a fascinating read and I highly recommended it.
Angela Field
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so pleased Sophie wrote this book. After first listening to her speak at the Emirates Stadium I was completely hooked! Her story is not only painful to read, but also hugely inspirational and at times very funny. It’s also very educational about transgender issues not to mention her emotional and beautiful poetry which is scattered throughout the book. A must read.
Sid
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, Fear, Pain & Success. It's all in this book.
Sophie Cook's strength to get up each day and face life and win is something we could all do with a little of.
I laughed, I cried & I feel incredibly proud to say I know her.

Rose King
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A personal story, well written, humorous and very moving. We all have a lot to learn from Sophie Cook's journey. A triumphant masterpiece.
tim roberts
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very readable autobiography

Sophie's book flies under an LGBT banner, and illustrates the pain and bravery vividly. But it is much more than a(nother) plea for tolerance and understanding from a rainbow warrior.
Firstly she's very frank about her mental anguish and tg sensibilities, enough to satisfy those who wish to hear of those issues.
But the book also describes a remarkable life, and an enviable set of adventures and accomplishments.
In the broadest sense it is a shame that the tg-ism is the c
Debbie Love
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read that is difficult to put down. Well written and of an interesting and eventful life. Anyone on the transgender spectrum will identify with much of the b00k, however there is so much more to the book than the gender experience. This is a heart-felt human story of an individual who is not afraid to lay themselves bare in order to inspire others. Highly recommended.
Sara Snood
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve not known Sophie for long so was really keen to read her book and her story. One of the most courageous people I know. Her honesty, pain, joy and all emotions jump out of the book and stay with you well after the pages have been turned. Thank you Sophie, a brilliant book. You are a bloody legend
Amanda Tucker
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are no words...... this honest and poignant account of a life only partially lived is touching beyond belief.

A frank honest and authentic account of Sophies journey.

A must read which will give you insight into both transgender and mental health issues...

I challenge you not to be moved by this book...

One starfish at a time... ❤️
Sharon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Today-How I Chose Life, is a stand out brutally honest, sad, funny, heartwarming read. Deeply impressed that Not Today- How I Chose Life is Sophie Cooks first book.
Judy Gray
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Cook has written of her lived experience of gender dysmorphia, PTSD, depression and self-harm. A compelling read and important contribution.
Mr Anthony Wellbelove
Ee Shien
Aug 01, 2019
Cathy Helms
Jun 30, 2020
Ex-RAF, motorbike racer, newspaper editor, Premier League football and rock photographer, self harm and suicide survivor and transgender.

Sophie Cook​ is a media personality and activist whose wide portfolio of work includes presenting, producing, writing and photography.

She became the first transgender woman to work in football’s Premier League as club photographer for AFC Bournemouth following h

News & Interviews