Start by marking “The Land Girls” as Want to Read:

The Land Girls

A moving story of love, loss and survival against the odds by bestselling author of The Last of the Bonegilla Girls, Victoria Purman.
It was never just a man's war...

Melbourne,1942

War has engulfed Europe and now the Pacific, and Australia is fighting for its future. For spinster Flora Thomas, however, nothing much has changed. Tending her dull office job and beloved brother
Published April 23rd 2019 by HarperCollins Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Land Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Girls

Phrynne
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
By far the best book by this author I have read so far. It is a gem. The cover and the blurb are slightly misleading as they give the impression that the three main characters are friends who work as land girls together. Ms Purman has done something much cleverer than that.

The three main characters, Flora, Betty and Lily come from different parts of Australia and from very different backgrounds. The story is told from each individual's perspective, their reasons for joining the Land Army and the
Brenda
With war across Europe, Australia’s men and women were joining the cause in droves. Flora’s younger brother Frank was fighting overseas and in Melbourne, she, her father and brother Jack worried constantly. Betty from Sydney worked in Woolworths and her next door neighbour and best friend, Michael joined up, heading overseas. And Lily from Adelaide was being courted by David so when he joined the air force to fight overseas, she wanted to do her bit for the war effort.

The Australian Women’s Land
Marianne
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Land Girls is the third stand-alone novel by best-selling Australian author, Victoria Purman. It’s 1942 and, except for reserved occupations, the young men of Australia have been sucked into the war machine, serving in Europe and Asia. The void this leaves on the country’s farms is a threat to food production, so women step into the breach in the form of the Australian Women’s Land Army: the Land Girls.

The women who step up come from many different backgrounds, and have different reasons fo
Karren  Sandercock
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Australia for giving me the opportunity to read The Land Girls by Victoria Purman.
I loved the book, it's full of familiar places and it was easy for me to be swept away by the story.
The book is about three brave women who for very different reasons decided to join the Australian Women's Land Army, they play a vital role helping busy farmers harvest their crops, as due to the war there's a huge shortage of male farm labor and food.

Flora Atkins lives with both her
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
In Victoria Purman’s historical fiction novel, The Land Girls, It’s 1942 and World War II has spread from Europe across the Pacific. As fathers, brothers, husbands and sons fight on the frontlines against the Germans, Italians and Japanese, the women left behind are asked to do more than just tend their victory gardens, knit socks, and roll bandages. While some women heed the call and join auxiliary services like the WRANS or the WAAF, or take up positions in factories and shipyards, workers are ...more
Claire
Everytime Victoria Purman releases a new novel, I know I'm going to find great characters; with her historical novels, I know I'm going to learn about a part of Australian history that I had very little knowledge of before picking up her book. In The Land Girls, she draws on the experiences of women from The Women's Land Army as well as those left behind to do the jobs the men have left when they joined the armed forces during WWII, to weave an emotional tale of love, loss and courage.

I thorough
Jennifer (JC-S)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The war had touched everyone, changed everything.’

Australia, 1942. War has engulfed both Europe and the Pacific. In Australia, there’s a shortage of male farm labour because many men, deemed not to be in essential industries have joined the armed forces. In this novel, we meet three very different women who join the Australian Women’s Land Army, doing their bit for the war effort.

Flora Atkins is thirty. She lives with her father and her brother Jack and works in an office. Her other brother Har
Cynthia
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The land girls gives you a glimpse of what life was like for those who did not go to war. Three very different girls (women) answer the call to join the Australian Women's Land army, each wanting to contribute to the war effort. We read about each of the women individually, why they joined the Land Army and how their lives changed, before the author brings them together. The story felt very real and I enjoyed reading about their experiences, both happy and sad.
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received via Netgalley for an honest review

I can remember my nan talking about the Land Army and the WAAFs when I was a child, and I thought of her (god bless her soul) as I was reading The Land Girls.

I am on a real historical kick at the moment, and I have been reading a lot of stories set in WW2 to get my fix.

The Land Girls, based on the the Australian Women's Land Army is a beautiful, but at times heartbreaking story of the women who went and worked the land while the men were away durin
Kathryn
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three women join the women's land army in Australia during World War 2. The Land Girls introduces the reader to them and by the end of the book, each woman found a place in my heart and my very sincere admiration.

Flora is thirtyish and from Melbourne, she lives with her Dad, a brother who can't go to war (Jack) and Frank who is fighting in the war overseas and they haven't heard from him. A white feather given to her brother Jack on the street one day, decides Flora  to join the Land Girls - her
Theresa Smith
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a few novels now about the Women’s Land Army, but each of these have been set in England, never Australia, so it was a real pleasure to pick up this latest release by Victoria Purman and read all about the marvellous efforts our women made in order to keep our country ticking over while WWII was raging throughout Europe and the Pacific. Australia had quite a substantial Women’s Land Army:

‘Around 6,000 women served in the Australian Women’s Land Army between 1942 and the end of the wa
Annie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: aus-connection
Interesting tale about 3 girls who signed up as Land Army girls to do their parts when their sweet hearts or family as away fighting in World War 2. I didn't know about this movement till I read this book - how young australian women took up agricultural labour to address the shortage in manpower as most young men had left to fight in WW2. And how significant their efforts were to keep Australia going. It took till 2012 for the Australian Government to be officially thank them for their efforts, ...more
Kim
I seem to be on "a women's perspective of war" reading kick! As it says on the front cover "It was never just a man's war" pretty much applies to all wars.

This had a little bit of a slow start, seemed like it needed a good edit. When the 3 main characters started working as "Land Girls" it really picked up. I became completely invested in the characters, had to know how it all worked out for them and I couldn't put it down.

I knew something about "The Land Girls", thinking of them as just anoth
Leanne Lovegrove
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful novel full of detail and richly woven characters. Plus I loved learning something of our history. I had not heard of the Australian Women Land Army before now. Through Flora, Betty and Lilly we learn of the sacrifice many women made during the war. Loved it.
Michelle
Victoria Purman you have done it again. The Land Girls has it all, what an amazing story filled with heartache, humour, honour and the resilience found in the bonds of friendship.
My only wish is that there was another couple of chapters
Katie Clews
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars !!!

An absolutely delightful historical fiction novel
Shreedevi Gurumurty
This was a wonderfully written story of love and loss in World War Two. This novel centres on three women who join the Australian Women's Land Army: 30 year old spinster Flora Atkins from Camberwell, Melbourne, 18 year old Betty Brower from Rozelle, Sydney and wealthy Lilian Thomas from Buxton Street in North Adelaide. Each woman has different motivations for joining the Land Army-Flora was angry that her younger brother Jack got a white feather for cowardice because he wasn't serving(Jack has a ...more
Jessi-Lee
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommend, favorites
The Land Girls is an emotionally charged novel that follows the lives of Betty, Flora and Lily. Three very different Australian women who are all touched by the same brutal war. In an attempt to put their lives behind them and do something for the men fighting for their country, these women set out, leaving their families behind in order to join The Australian Women's Land Army. Along the way there is loss, hope, death and friendship.

This book is not normally the type that I would pick up, but t
Ann-Maree Howarth
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely tribute this book is to all the women of the Australian Women’s Land Army. This story will draw you straight into the 1940’s world as we meet three young ladies from very different walks of life living in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. The author’s reference to this era was wonderful and in my mind very accurate to everything I have ever read or watched about this time in our history. You could almost feel the pain and anguish the girls here experienced during this book, with ther ...more
Chapter Ichi
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers Australia for sending me a copy of The Land Girls for my honest review.

Lest we forget. I am thankful to the men and women who sacrificed everything for our freedom. I am proud to be Australian.

From the moment I saw the cover of The Land Girls, I was compelled to read it. As we pay our respects each Anzac Day, we remember the strength of those who fought for our country. The Women's Land Army were among those who made great sacrifices. This is a story of thr
Shelagh
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading about Australia’s history, but more from a perspective of “what was life like for people living in that time” than “what happened on which date”. I also have a fascination for our wartime history. After all, my grandparents served in World War One and my parents in World War Two. These are among the reasons I was so thrilled to receive an ARC of The Land Girls.
This story did not disappoint. Viewed through the eyes of three very different women, mid 1940’s Australia unfolded before
Cass
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before this book, I’d come across mentions of land girls a few times - a British TV series I’d added to a streaming queue but never watched, a recent news article - but never knew much past the superficial. While World War II history is a prominent feature in the Australian curriculum, the Australian Women’s Land Army (and the non-military war effort in Australia more generally) never featured much in my history lessons. But it’s an inherently interesting topic: as part of the Australian Women’s ...more
Gloria Arthur
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf
The Land Girls

This was the most beautifully written and emotional piece of Australian historical fiction.

Approx 6,000 women served in the Australian Womens Land Army between 1942 and the end of the war. With so many of the men off to war, farmers were crying out for girls to go to the country to help do the work that the men used to do.

These courageous women left their comfy everyday lives in the city to take up demanding physical work in farms and orchards. This story is viewed through the eye
Nicole McCann
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story of the land girls. The thing I love about Victoria Purman's books is they teach me about Australian history but the facts are interwoven in an interesting story with great characters. This story was about the Australian Women’s Land Army which was formed during the second world war to combat rising labour shortages in the farming sector. This book really highlights this space in time. This book shows that lives were put on hold for everyone during this time; not just ...more
Kathy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Australia, The Land Girls by Victoria Purman is a book about three women who join the Australian Women’s Land Army in WWII to do ‘their bit’ for the cause. There’s a shortage of male farm labour because many men have joined the armed forces so the land army was needed to help with the harvesting of crops. Set in an area we holidayed in last year, I loved seeing the history of the area unfold on paper. These brave women were courageous, and I loved each of their stories equally and how the ...more
Noelene Jenkinson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful historical read

Victoria Purman’s The Land Girls is a wonderfully absorbing historical read. You are so authentically drawn into the girls’ lives and feel as if you are living their war experience with them. Highly recommend. Now looking forward to catching up with The Last of the Bonegilla Girls by this same author.
Hayley C
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a 3.5 star for me. A lot of research would have gone into the history of this one and it is great that it highlights the work of “land girls” that are not readily known to the general population with their efforts in WW11. Not my favourite Victoria Purman book but worth a read particularly if you have not read anything by this author before.
Hazel
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Land Girls by Victoria Purman is a book about Australia in World War 2. More specifically, the Women’s Land Army. The purpose of the Land Army was to do jobs that men could no longer do, especially in agricultural capacities. This is a pretty good book, from three points of view, which makes it pretty interesting. I would recommend it to people who want to learn more about world history.
Diane
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purman-victoria
Another wonderful story by Victoria Purman. I have no doubt this story and others like it do a great honour to all who served, either on the field of battle, in the hospitals nursing the injured and, the also great important job in wartime, the Land Army. Thank you Victoria, a wonderful book that I didn't want to end.
Lyn
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one ticked all the boxes for me. Historical fiction that uncovers a less well known part of the war is interesting. I enjoyed the variety of characters. Parman does a wonderful job of exploring the grief involved by war and life in general, without being trite or maudlin. I particularly liked the friendships between the girls.
Victoria Purman is a multi-published, award-nominated, Kindle bestselling Australian author. She is a regular guest at writers festivals and has been nominated for a number of readers’ choice awards.
If you want to know more about her and her books, visit www.victoriapurman.com or follow her on facebook at Victoria Purman Author or on twitter @VictoriaPurman.