Start by marking “The Orphan's Song” as Want to Read:
The Orphan's Song

The Orphan's Song

The historical adult debut novel by # 1 New York Times bestselling author Lauren Kate, The Orphan's Song is a sweeping love story about family and music--and the secrets each hold--that follows the intertwined fates of two Venetian orphans.

Venice, 1736. Violetta has a secret: When she climbs out of her window at The Hospital of the Incurables, the revered music school and
Published June 25th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Orphan's Song, please sign up.
Marilyn Rondeau Yes - I would say so! I DON'T READ Erotica

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Abandoned by her mother at two days old and seeing another mother abandon her child at the orphanage turned Violetta off from ever wanting to be a wife or a mother.

When Violetta meets Mino from the boys’ side of the orphanage, it is instant attraction, but he wants what she won’t give him - a promise to be his wife and mother of his children which would be a way out of the orphanage, but she can't do it.

The Incurables is an orphanage that stresses music. Violetta works hard at her singing, but
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Orphan's Song
Series: Standalone
Author: Lauren Kate
Release date: June 25, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical fiction

Life was like music; if you changed a single note, you changed the entire song.

I loved the premise of this story and how it was inspired in real life. The author's note explains how the idea took root, and how she became completely immersed in Mino and Violetta's world in 18th century Venice. While visiting the city, she stumbled upon the real life building that was on
Susan Johnson
This author was previously a YA author and it shows. There are pages and pages of Violetta and Mino's one day of freedom and stolen kiss. I think this must be more appealing to a younger audience but bored me to tears. Luckily, there were lots of interesting parts to make up for it. It's set in Venice in the 1700's and the sense of place and time is excellent.

Violetta and Mino were orphans in The Incurables Orphanage. The girls were raised to be musicians, mostly singers, who sang at church se
Karen Macedo
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you to G.P. Putnam's Sons. I really liked this book . The story is about two orphans who find solace in each other. The descriptions of Venice in the 1700's are captivating. A good historical fiction..
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Violetta a soprano and Mino a violinist, want nothing more than to make music. But circumstances and proper behavior prevent them from being together.

The story lagged a bit in the middle.
Amy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Love, as Mino felt it, meant taking your beloved in your arms, tipping her lips, and saying I love you with all of yourself.”

I’m not gonna lie. I am a huge fan of Lauren Kate’s young adult books and totally loved her Fallen Series. So, when I heard that Lauren Kate was not only dipping her toes in Adult Fiction, but Historical Romance, I just knew I had to get my hands on this book.

The Orphan’s Song is set in 1736 Venice. On the rooftop of the Hospital for Incurables, fate has brought together
Virginia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Lauren Kate's YA novels, I was not disappointed by this book. Written with the same ease as her previous works, Kate works in more adult topics perfect for its mysterious and magical setting of Venice.
The story follow two orphans who grew up in The Hospital of the Incurables known as a orphanage and a revered music school. The two characters, Violetta and Mino, meet under unexpected circumstances and find a kindred soul in the other. However, their goals in life are very different a
Sharlene
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. Very informative about the time period in Venice and such great characters. Could not put it down and stayed up late reading.
Jillian Doherty
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored Lauren Kait‘s previous series, and was elated to discover her new book.

A charming love story set in Venice, quickly becomes heartbreaking when too young lives are separated by the people they think they should be.

Their lives are forever changed; one on believable moment set in motion new stories full of music, searing back drops, and colorful characters.
I enjoyed the end of the story as much as the beginning!

Galli borrowed from the publisher.
Joan Happel
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 18th century Venice, the story follows two orphans, Violetta and Mino. Both are residents of the Incurables, a hospital and orphanage where girls are trained in music with the hopes of joining the Coro, while the boys are sent out for apprenticeships. Violetta and Mino meet one day in the attic of the orphanage where each has gone to dream of a different future. Violetta wants to escape into the Venice she sees below her and be able to sing freely, while Mino just wants to be able to play ...more
Kathy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a newly released book I snapped up from the library, but I found it not to my taste. It sounded like something I would like with Venice setting, but the author did not successfully transition from her YA writing experience to Adult level.
Shannon Dyer
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this period of history! Review to come at AAR.
Susan Peterson
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prepare to be swept away by this compelling and heartfelt tale of Violetta and Mino, two orphans left behind at the Hospital of the Incurables in Venice in the early 18th century. Their stories are filled with dreams of escape and love, but they are tormented by heartbreak and betrayal. The star of this book is Venice, its music, its secrets, its mystery. I felt as if I were there, wearing my own mask, walking the cobbled streets, winding through the ribbons of canals on a gondola, in its finest ...more
Annette
Venice, 1725: At the southern edge of the city, there is a nursery for foundling children, the Incurables, renowned for training its foundling girls into a conservatory of musicians. “Foundling boys grew up and moved on to apprenticeships; they needed no musical training. But to keep the girls off the streets, they were taught to sing and play for the church (…) The Incurables was made of music – the finest in the city and therefore in the world.”

Violetta, one of the foundling girls, now at the
Amy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down and it’s got me even
more curious about Venice during this time period.
Meredith Rankin
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, netgalley
The Orphan's Song by Lauren Kate
Genre: historical
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: 2019

Thanks to Netgalley, Penguin Books, and Lauren Kate for providing an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate it.

Summary:
In 18th century Venice, orphans have few options. In the orphanage known as the Incurables, a young boy and girl meet secretly and bond over their mutual love of music and dreams of escape. Violetta, a gifted singer, is chosen for the widely-renowned coro. Bu
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and G.P. Putnam's Sons in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This book was absolutely beautiful.

I don’t typically go in for romance, but sometimes, when it’s paired with exquisitely written historical fiction, I fall head-over-heels for it. That’s how I feel about The Orphan’s Song.

I picked this book up at BookCon a couple weeks ago, and had the opportunity to meet Laur
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
Originally posted on Undeniably Book Nerdy book blog

The Orphan's Song was an outside-of-my-comfort-zone read for me as I rarely read historical fiction. However, what appealed to me about The Orphan's Song was the fact that it's written by Lauren Kate. I remember reading her YA paranormal books many years ago and I was curious about her adult debut. And the fact that it's set in eighteenth-century Venice, a time period I'm not very familiar with but very intrigued by.

And, WOW! Lauren Kate resear
Annette
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Orphan's Song is a beautiful story of a strange and interesting time and place in history.

Venice, 1736. Violetta is an orphan who lives at the Hospital of the Incurables. Not only does it house syphilitic people, but it is an orphanage that trains singers for the coro, a famous group that sings at the church. Mino is an orphan who lives on the boys' side. Girls and boys never see each other. Boys are kept until a suitable apprenticeship can be found.

Weird things:

1. During this period of time
Ruthsic
Warnings: implied domestic violence, homeless living, death in childbirth

The Orphan's Song is a love story between two people, but also about love for music, love for you city, and the magic of Venice. In the author's note, Kate mentions how she got the inspiration for the story, and I loved how she spun this tale from that. The story is told from the perspectives of Violetta and Milo, two orphans from the same place Incurables, which was a hospital as well as an orphanage. The girls were train
Autumn
There is so much that Violetta wants to know about the world. She wants to know what it’s like outside of the walls of the Incurables. She wants to know what it would be like to be as carefree as the glamourous women she watches drink the day away in the city’s grand cafés and more than anything, she wants to know what it’s really like to be loved.

She thought that she had glimpsed true love one day while hiding out on the roof of the orphanage. For Violetta, love was a boy with blonde hair who
Myndi
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Kate wrote one of my favorite YA fantasy series, Fallen. When I was offered the chance to read her first adult novel, I was 100% on board and SUPER excited. And I was NOT disappointed!

It was no surprise that she nailed the relationship building and chemistry between the characters. Kate is a master at writing love stories, the kind that you feel not just in your heart, but in the very marrow of your bones. It is impossible to not want the main characters together, until Kate reminds us th
Jeanie
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, venice
Life was like music; if you changed a single note, you changed the entire song. You make mistakes. You hurt those that you care for and give up to soon. You can be a fool, a coward, a failure and without those things, you may never find your purpose.

A lyrical love story of Mino and Letta. Both were abandoned by their mothers for different reasons and left at an orphanage that housed abandoned children. Letta was a only two days old when she was abandoned and the only thing she knew was music an
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
I am so excited I was chosen as one of the goodreads winner for this book. I have never read a book by Lauren Kate because I wasn't sure I wanted to read the other books she has out but when I seen this one, I just had to enter. I am so excited I won.

Goodreads synopsis:

Yolanda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Penguin Group PUTNAM and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this eArc.

I requested this book because it takes place in Venice during the 1700’s. I fell in love with Venice when my husband and I visited the city briefly on a European tour. My time there was short but so memorable. It is a place oozing with mystery and character.

Violetta and Mino are orphans of the Hospital of the Incurables, which was a place for treatment of those suffering from syphillis. The hospital a
Taylor
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually very excited to read this book. I NEVER win the giveaways and I won this one so I was excited to be one of the first to read it and I love her other Fallen series.
This book I marked 3 stars I liked it but I wasn't over moon about it. I took me like 50 pages to really get into it. It just didn't suck me in at the beginning and I wasn't sure if I would finish it cause of the beginning. But after you meet Mino it got better. I was a little heart breaking at times.

With this book you
Marilyn Rondeau
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Based on the intertwined fates of two Venetian orphans in Venice, 1736, fate brings Violetta and Mino together on the roof of the Hospital of the Incurables. They formed a connection that will change their lives forever. Both are orphans at the Incurables, dreaming of escape. But when the resident Maestro notices Violetta's voice, she is selected for the Incurables' world famous coro, and must sign an oath never to sing beyond its church doors.

Years before Violetta had seen and saved Mino after
Pamela
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-best-of
The author has set her book in Venice in 1736 during a period in Venice’s life where everyone is required to wear face masks, with only two exceptions, and where a scandal is created if a man and his wife appear in public together. There is wide-spread corruption and nothing is what it seems to be. Against this background, the author introduces Violetta, abandoned by her mother when she was only two days old, and Mino, an abandoned boy, who only wants to find his parents. Violetta is destined to ...more
FTLOReading
• Title: The Orphan’s Song
• Author: Lauren Kate
• Series: Stand-Alone
• Pages: 336
• Genre: Historical Fiction/ Historical Romance
• Rating/ Out of 5 Stars: 3

My Thoughts:
I really liked Letta as a character. She’s plucky, intuitive and shows some great growth throughout the book.

Mino, was hit or miss. He has some great runs and then he takes a step or two back. This gets to be a theme with him.

The first few chapters were the strongest. Our introductions to the city, the quality of life, t
Rachel
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Orphan's Song was a beautiful read. It took me a few chapters to get used to the musical terms and rhythm of the story, but soon I was hooked. We see the story through the eyes of both Mino and Violetta, both orphans at the “Hospital of the Incurables,” where girls are trained up as musicians and boys are sent out into apprenticeships. Time moves quickly in this novel and we aren’t in one place for long, but I still felt that both characters were rich and well developed.

This was an interesti
« previous 1 3 next »
Lauren Kate is the author of the Fallen novels, the Teardrop novels, and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, and her newest release, The Orphan's Song. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her family.