Start by marking “Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)

Dark Lover

(Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  287,266 ratings  ·  12,936 reviews
The only purebred vampire left on the planet and the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who killed his parents centuries ago. But when his most trusted fighter is killed—orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate—Wrath must put down his dagger and usher the beautiful female into another world.

Racked
Mass Market Paperback, 393 pages
Published September 6th 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published February 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Lover, please sign up.
Tina If its the type of books you like, then finish it, you will fall in love with the Brothers. If you don't like the whole warrior thing then you won't l…moreIf its the type of books you like, then finish it, you will fall in love with the Brothers. If you don't like the whole warrior thing then you won't like the series. The first book is a little different from the rest, but they are all basically the same, alpha male falls for female...(less)

·  287,266 ratings  ·  12,936 reviews

Start your review of Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
Navessa
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gd-mary-sues
How to Write a Paranormal Romance

Step One : Create a Sue

This is a female lead that can either be a Mary Sue, a Jerk Sue or a Sympathetic Sue. Just an FYI, most writers go with a Mary, as the ideal of women remaining virgins until they find “The One” is allegedly still vastly appealing to the masses. I suggest creating a heroine that’s never even been attracted to a man before. It makes it seem more like it's fate when she meets the male lead and less like you’re trying to shove antiquated
Kat
You have got to be kidding me.

What author names her main characters, the members of the incredibly dark and dangerous black dagger brotherhood of vampire warriors....*inhales*
...Wrath, Tohrment, Vishous, Rhage, Phury and Zsadist?

And as if that isn't hilarious enough, Ward just doesn't get enough of superlatives to describe how extremely dangerous her vampires - a bunch of interchangeable Conans the Barbarian - actually are. Allow me to quote:

"Rhage was a towering male, big, powerful, stronge
Mel
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mel by: Amelia and Stav
Shelves: pnr
*channeling Johnny Cash *

"Six foot six he stood on the ground,
he weighted 235 pounds
But I saw that giant of a man brought down
to his knees by loooove."

A few dear Goodreads-friends pressured me into reading this and I must say: I'm pleasantly surprised (3,5 stars).
An interesting and unpredictable plot? Not really. Cliché? Very. Romance and sex? At times the romance was almost sappy and the sex was good but I actually had expected it to be hotter (it's quality people, not quantity!).
But des
Jessica Edwards
Before I continue with my review, I just want to say this. I fricking love this series!
I cannot express how much I love this series, this book was probably one of the reasons why I admire J.R.Ward so much.
The series focuses on a society the "Black Dagger Brotherhood" of vampire warriors who live together and defend their race against de-souled humans called lessers.
This series just had me wanting more and more. Literally, after finishing one book I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next, and
Kat Kennedy
I originally wrote this review in a more innocent time. A time, if you can imagine, when I was a lot less cynical and a lot more likely to give books a break.

So I did the obligatory drool over the Black Dagger Brotherhood men whilst expressing frustration at the multiple POV's (SO MANY!). I complained about the content and nature of Wrath and Beth's relationship but let it slide because, hey it was just some light-hearted fun.

A couple of years ago I was at my mother's house when a large, terrify
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Wrath was six feet, six inches of pure terror dressed in leather. His hair was long and black, falling straight from a widow's peak. Wraparound sunglasses hid eyes that no one had ever seen revealed. Shoulders were twice the size of most males'. With a face that was both aristocratic and brutal, he looked like the king he was by birthright and the solider he'd become by destiny."

*sigh*

Fantastic start to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series!
We get the world building, the awesome char
Elle
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: The seriously randy
Recommended to Elle by: The general GoodReads population

It's your fault.

All you Goodreaders.

I was sucked in by the high ratings for this series. And the fact that I couldn't go anywhere on GR without this little red paperback popping up and waving at me. 'Read me. Love me. I'm totally worth it' blah blaaahh.

Where were the characters???
Seriously. Where were they? WHY were they?

I could not for the life of me identify who was who and why they were there. And WHY did they fall in love? Are you, J.R.Ward, trying to sell me this idea of love-at-first-
Ren Puspita
UPDATE : Thanks for all friends and people who have like this review and commenting. Glad I can make you smile and laugh ^_^.
Black Dagger Brotherhood is masterpiece, and it will always be =)

My feeling right now :

description

Allright, this is the first book that start my love for BDB series, and when I know this book will be translated a year ago (at February 2010), I'm excited!!

Waiting 2-3 months later, no news...

Waiting 2-3 next months later, still no news...

And then at July, the publisher said tha
Alex is The Romance Fox
J R Ward’s BlackDaggerBrotherhood Series is beyond….............
 photo images4_zps846bb6c1.jpg
I decided to read the entire series...yes again!!!!

I AM BDBSESSED... photo 2d5d1f7a6884b8a4cd769981c910c2f3_zpsb6d1923e.jpg
I have always loved the first book in the series......my first intro into this amazing world, and Wrath & Beth's story has remained one of my favorites..
 photo luv8_zps9qhgxcya.jpg
It's liking going back home, visiting "people" that have become my friends.

Beth is such a fabulous character - perfect queen material...
 photo b1eb1722a62be1bab7275aad4fdfe56f_zpsdhgqgkyx.jpg
“Whoa. Fangs. She had fangs.
She leaned in, prodded them a little.
KatLynne
(view spoiler)

Wrath - 6'6" - 270 lb Warrior Vampire - Raw male power - Intense - Aggressive - Tattooed - Deliciously erotic - Protective - Hard, ripped, well muscled body

I am always intrigued with the pictures my GR friends add to their reviews. Wanting to get an image of Wrath in those leather pants, I visited photo bucket and this is what I found. While there are no leather pants, I thought he was perfect:)

This is m
Carol [Goodreads Addict]

Dark Lover is book one in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. This is a book I’ve been saying for years that I wanted to read but just never took the plunge. So with a little urging from my friend, I finally did it! Wrath was waiting to welcome me into the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Wrath is a pureblood vampire, the last of his line, the only pureblood left on the planet. He was the king and treated with reverence. Only he did not want this title. He felt himself unworth
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Disclaimer: I am currently being held hostage by a PNR-loving troll. I therefore cannot be held responsible for the contents of this review. Do you seriously think I'd give a Freaking PNR Novel a 5-star rating of my own free will? *eyeroll*

IT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST GAVE FIVE FREAKING STARS TO A FREAKING PNR NOVEL!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHH
Heather
Dec 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
I should have known by the summary that this book would suck ass, but alas, I was blinded by that s*xy sounding name, Wrath. Curse Ms. Ward for being intelligent enough to make that up. With a name like Wrath, I was expecting some sensual sinning to take place, but all I got was a blind, leather duster wearing vampire thug who introduces us to ridiculous supernatural turf wars, rap music, and the f bomb. Even worse, the supposed world of sensuality began as a cable guy fantasy gone wrong. This b ...more
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Wrath's Leelan Stars

First read 2014
Reread March 23, 2017

photo 81190-misha-collins-fuck-yeah-gif-jJO0_zpsgcidqtus.gif

Spoilers

OMG I Love this book, this series and this Author! The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of my top ten favorites series of- all- times. There is just something about this series that made me fall in love from book one. No matter how many times I read these stories they never get old. Dark Lover does an amazing job of laying out this new and exciting paranormal world. The Black Dagger Brotherhood world is a kick ass world filled
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
God, so that's how the Black Dagger Brotherhood series starts out, huh? I am so bummed that I didn't start with this one. It only makes sense to read the series in order but at the time, I only had the sixth and seventh book on hand. Nevertheless, Dark Lover is as solid as ever.

Wrath, my man. This dude is so fucking hot, it's insane. He's so arrogant and aggressive. He's possesive and passionate. He's the best King in my mind. And Beth, where do I even start with her? She is so strong, even from
description

BR with the one and only Ash.

"We’re going to build us a civilization, my brother. Or rather, rebuild one.”

Blurb: In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.
The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a scor
Lorena
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was disappointed by this book. From the description, it sounded more like dark fantasy, but in practice, it's more like a romance novel of the cheesiest variety, only replace the generic pirate/naughty lord/auto mechanic human hunk with a vampire hunk. The dialogue was overwrought, and the behavior of the man/men in question was extremely stereotypical when it wasn't extremely implausible (even given that we are theoretically talking about men of a different and non-existent-in-reality species ...more
chan ☆
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
nothing but respect for MY king

fuck i love this series with my whole heart

pain in the neck podcast episode 1, where we review the first half of dark lover!
Christy
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

photo 58a1f251-3659-43b1-95b0-64b600c1e371_zpseea7fad7.jpg

Book one of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series...

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a group of vampires here to protect the vampire race. Wrath is the leader of this group- their king, by blood.
 photo 8905c3d7-f2e1-48ea-99c7-895a7f6c82bb_zps3042eda8.jpg
Wrath was 6 feet, 9 inches of pure terror dressed in leather.

Wrath is their King, but refuses to lead. He is a loner. A warrior. He doesn’t get too close to anyone. He has his band of brothers, but thats about it. When Wrath’s brother Darius asks him to help his only daughter (who is half human) wi
Clem (the villain's quest)
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sexist, 1-star
"Wanna ride?' another prostitute said, shaking her ass like it was a can of paint."

description

I'M BEWILDERED. LITERALLY ASTONISHED. HOW CAN A BOOK THIS BAD BE SO WIDELY POPULAR ON GOODREADS? WHY IS NO ONE COMPLAINING?

For those who haven't read this book, let me catch you up on the synopsis: some random cunt, with a basic name I can't remember, lives in some old town. She works a dull desk job--she's a journalist, I think? (I dunno. It's not important.) And she mostly spends her time at the police stat
Sarai
Oct 31, 2007 rated it did not like it
This one is not going so well. I am getting sick of the these great fighters that remind me of want to be thugs with their slang and cars and rap music. But to redeem them she tosses in leather? Seriously if I hear bro, what's up and WTF one more time I'm through. Not to mention a blind hero who can smell how the heroine looks????? Anywho I give it 25 more pages. Oh did anyone else skip the parts of Mr. X I just can't stand them... No screw it I'm done.
Emily May
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011

Well, as a self-confessed stalker and worshipper of Tatiana's reviews, I had serious reservations about this book. In fact, I had serious reservations about the whole series. Yeah, yeah, we all have different tastes but I can't help it, in my opinion Tatiana has got it completely right every time. However...

I liked this one. It was never ever going to get 5 stars, simply because it was always inevitably going to be compared to the Fever series with it being in the paranormal romance genre, but I
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 26, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF @ 18%: Oooof, I tried lol. I picked this one up bc I was in the mood for something urban-fantasyish but this was just too dated for me. Oh well!
ֆɦɛʟʟʏ ȶɦɛ քǟȶʀօռ ֆǟɨռȶ օʄ ƈʊʀʍʊɖɢɛօռʟʏ ƈʀօռɛֆ
One of my all-time favorite vampire romances is $2.99 today on Kindle. WRATH!!!!

Yep, I'm reading it again. Buddy (Re)Read with my MacHalo girls starting October 22, 2015.

New thoughts... this still hits all the right notes for me. I think it holds up well for PNR written 10 years ago! There are a couple stereotypes, but you know, not many. The girl gets saved, but so does the guy. The two leads are well-matched and neither is eye-rolling. Wrath and Beth are my favorite couple. It's like comfort f
P
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“You don't know this yet. But you are Mine”

First time I read this book, I fell in love with it irrevocably. J.R. Ward revealed the sexy and badass characters from the very first page. Wrath, my beloved king, was not looking for love but when he looks upon Beth, his world is changed. The chemistry between them is beyond exploding. It's a dynamite destroying and crushing my sanity into pieces.

Felicia
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Errr I dunno. It's so hard to avoid the cliches of this genre, either the main female character is totally uptight, bitchy and ass kicking, or she's some limpid virgin whose loins throb at the sight of crazy tall dudes in leather.

I know people love these, and the writings pretty good, not sure I'm hooked though. I'll give it another try.
Sophia Triad
Wrath and Beth

Whatever he had, she wanted.
"I thought we'd try this again," he said.
His voice was low, a deep rumble in his solid chest. He had the sliver of an accent, but she couldn't place it.
"Who are you?" she breathed in a whisper.
"I'm here for you."

So...this is by far my favourite PNR series and it will be my favourite PNR series for ever and ever
no matter where the story goes,
no matter who dies and who lives,
no matter who appears and who disappears,
no matter who is paired w
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
**4.5 BITE ME stars**

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is NOT your teen daughter's Twilight books. The PG version of vampires will NOT be found in the following pages. The Brotherhood is NOT teenager vampires but instead men who aren't afraid to protect what is rightfully theirs. They don't shy away from sex and marking a woman as their own.

DARK LOVER is Wrath's story.

W - warrior
R - ruler
A - alpha
T - the King
H - honor

description

Cheat sheet for the brotherhood :
Wrath: last pure-blood vampire in exi
Mo
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

He smiled. “Hey, they like you.”
“And thank God for that,” she murmered, looking down at the daggers.

Well, I finally got around to reading about the BDB. Am I suddenly a Vampire Fan? Not totally, but I am fairly intrigued by the story.

“You don't know this yet. But you are Mine
- Wrath”

I think if dear Butch was not present, I may not have continued with the series but I love his story and his banter with V.

I have to wait until Book 4 to get his story.

Think I am going to like “Z” too …

Next i
Jennifer Kyle
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have officially popped my Black Dagger Brotherhood Series cherry! And wow did I LIKE IT!!!!

description

Why the hell did I wait so long? Why have you? Still kicking this series around on your to read lists. I was just like you the sheer number of books in this series had me holding off starting. What a MISTAKE! The first book was easy reading, fast paced, exciting and fun!

You say you don’t do paranormal? Well these characters of the Black Dagger Brotherhood could be whatever J.R. Ward says they are and be
Dyna Grow XL e Exercise that includes 1 1 Feb 09, 2020 12:55AM
which brother is your favorite? 612 1392 Feb 08, 2020 06:53PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Quarterly Series: Dark Lover 51 29 Jan 30, 2020 06:30AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: A list of your all time favorite books/series not including Nora 25 65 Jun 06, 2019 02:41PM
If you could Marry One Brother Who would it be and Why? 79 376 May 22, 2019 11:15AM

• A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • Darkfever (Fever, #1)
  • Bared to You (Crossfire, #1)
  • Easy (Contours of the Heart, #1)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
  • Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
  • Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
  • Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
  • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
  • Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)

Articles featuring this book

“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.” 3899 likes
“You've won the evolutionary lottery: You're a vampire. Let's go to Disneyland!” 1541 likes