Start by marking “Lie to Me” as Want to Read:
Lie to Me

Lie to Me

Ever since Amelia woke up in the hospital, recovering from a near-death fall she has no memory of, she's been suspicious. Her friends, family, and doctors insist it was an accident, but Amelia is sure she remembers being pushed. Then another girl is found nearby -- one who fell, but didn't survive. Amelia's fears suddenly feel very real, and with the help of her new boyfri ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Lie to Me, please sign up.
Alyssa Does it really matter if this book contains homosexualism? It is the same if it was heterosexualism. and yes lots of sex and bad language. tons.
Riley Nothing is super hard regarding lexile level, so I'd say go ahead. Now content wise: there is a near death experience, violence, death threats, and ot…moreNothing is super hard regarding lexile level, so I'd say go ahead. Now content wise: there is a near death experience, violence, death threats, and other aspects that might be considered distressing. If you think you can handle those topics then go ahead!!(less)

Start your review of Lie to Me
Shalini
A murder mystery at the core.

Amelia had a fall, but she was sure she was pushed. Girls were being killed and that scared her. Had she been the target of a serial killer or was that an accident?

My first book by Kaitlin Ward, the book was fast paced. It had hints of murder mystery, but it was basically a high school drama with rampant hormones in most parts. Amelia was a typical teen. Her relationship with mom and brother was good. Rest had too much drama.

Liam as the boyfriend felt supportive. Cha
Kim
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-and-youth
DNF. I read an I corrected proof. I read the first 50 pages and last 30. The first chapter made it seem mysterious enough that teens might get intrigued, but it was poorly written and full of cliches and a bit over the top. I was looking for a teen mystery to recommend to my students: this isn’t it. I’d give it one star, but since I didn’t finish it, I gave it one for the possibility of the middle redeeming g the over explained beginning and ridiculous end.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Amelia wakes from nearly falling to her death, unable to recall what happens and doctors say she may never remember. Everyone says the fall was an accident, but Amelia thinks someone tried to push her. And she’s not the only one. Two other teenage girls have been killed. The creepy guy next door might be the culprit. Or not. Now Amelia is getting threatening texts. Time may be running out.

Amelia has a LOT going on. Not only is she recovering from a concussion and broken arm, she’s questioning he
Jypsel the Trailblazer
A Review from a Middle School Teacher:

"Lie to Me," by Kaitlin Ward was recommended to me by a reluctant reader at the school I'm currently teaching at. She absolutely consumed this book. She's 13, a typical middle school girl and I think the exact demographic that this book is aimed for.

I'm 29, well-read and I figured out the mystery just from reading the back cover. I'm not this book's demographic.

I think this is an excellent book for reluctant readers because the action starts from the beginn
BooksAndBlueCookies
Amelia nearly died. Her friends, family, and doctors all say the near-fatal fall was an accident, but Amelia remembers being pushed. When another girl who had previously went missing was found dead nearby, and had also fallen, just hadn’t survived, Amelia becomes suspicious. Not just of the creepy neighbor who seems to be watching her, but everyone. Friends, family, and with the help of her incredible new boyfriend, Liam, she tries to investigate. The entire book is entertaining, and it’s the tw ...more
Jana
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
My daughter wanted me to read this one to see if it was okay for her to. I think it was a pretty good YA book it was very predictable and I would have liked a little more detail at the end. That being said who the book was written for it was probably enough...
alisha
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure why but Kaitlyn Ward's books I always love. ...more
Charlie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Uuuuuuuugh.

I don't know what to say about this book other than that I was really disappointed by it from start to finish.

I didn't care about the romance or the mystery. I cared about Grace and Amelia's friendship, and Sky, and that was about it. While there were some interesting things said and I liked the focus on how trauma affects everyone in a person's life, overall it was extremely disappointing.

I think my least favorite part was (view spoiler)
Katherine
”I don’t want someone to have tried to kill me. But if they did, I want to know who it was. And why me. And I want to catch them before they try it again.”

Synopsis: Solving mysteries is fun, but kissing is even more fun, as one girl finds out as she tries to solve the mystery of who tried to kill her but gets frustratingly distracted by kissing her boo-thang.

Biblio-Babble
We Could’ve Had It All: There is no feeling quite like the feeling of being disappointed. When I was a kid, knowing th
Madilynn
Not recommended!
Energy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amelia has woken up in the hospital after falling over a cliff that she's visited countless times. With a broken arm and a concussion, she can't remember the fall, but she has a feeling that it was more than just a fall. What's worse, is that this isn't a single incident, yet she isn't sure if she should speak up about her feelings. We follow her in her not only in her quest to figure out what happened to her but as she navigates her friendships and relationships.

I had mixed feelings about Ameli
Nicole Hathaway
Ariya Miller
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bookyworm:3
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Lie to Me was a very quick read with a plot full of potential. I was kinda let down because it was over the top for me and overwhelming. The characters were so so, and some characters were just no. There is a f/f romance. I love how it had you just stringing along until the very end where the culprit was right in your face. I give this a good ol’ 3!
Natalie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lie To Me by Kaitlin Ward is a romantic, mysterious, and adventurous book. This book is about a 17 year old girl named Amelia. She has been pushed off of a guardrail into the creek. Thankfully she was found by her friend Sky, she found her on a branch that saved her from falling and dying. She went back to school to find that a boy Liam likes her and was worried for her. They end up being together for a while. In this book you get the suspense that leads up to finding out who tried killing Ameli ...more
anya
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-in-2020
This hasn’t gotten the best of ratings but it looks hella good so into the 2020 tbr pile it goes...
Micayla
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was awsome.
Syd
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
It is a good book if you want a short read and don’t mind cliches. The plot was pretty predictable but it was entertaining enough to make up for that.
Kim
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh...it was ok. Some middle school student will probably like it.
Alyssa
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I personally did not like this book at all.Very weird and would not recommend this to anybody. I found the storyline hard to follow It didn't make sense. ...more
Jenn Ergott
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-rights, arcs
ARC received through the Young Adult Literature Festival (Y'ALLFest)
If there's such a thing as a trashy murder mystery, this is it. Rife with tropes and cliches, the only thing thing that made it stand out in my mind was the fact that the protagonist was bisexual, which was refreshing. The mystery itself, however, was transparent and predictable (and that's coming from someone who binge-read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys).
Christy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I kinda knew who it was before the end of the book, but was hoping I was wrong. It's a great, quick read. Took me a day and a half to read while at school. ...more
Ashley Sweeney
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, with a dark spin. This book had me thinking one thing at the very beginning and then changing my mind in the end. I had a hunch of where the story line was going and absolutely loved it.
Hadley
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Drowning is one of the top fears in the world, and it's also one of the top ways to cover up a murder. In Lie to Me, Ward's fourth YA novel, she uses drowning as the basis of the story. Yet, this book fell very short in the thriller/mystery genre: Ward gives away too many hints at the beginning of the book, that most readers will have the murderer figured out by chapter 7; she also focuses too much on romance, something that should have caused this story to be filed under a different category ot ...more
Monique
“But the gut feeling remains, and after I saw that news article about Maria Lugen’s death, the feeling has strengthened tenfold. I don’t want someone to have tried to kill me. But, if they did, I want to know who it was. And why me. And I want to catch them before they try it again.” (Pg. 7)

A Scholastic find on the library shelves I chose title alone and man I wouldn’t have because amnesia stories are not my thing LOL..and this title did not make sense to me....I mean we get it you don’t remembe
Riley
Nov 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful
"Her face was the epitome of the grimacing emoji"

YEAH- I think this quote alone explains the one star rating. There are a bunch of quotes like this, but honestly, HOW DID THAT GET PAST EDITING AND PUBLISHING?? (It did give me laughs, but in a more "uhhhh what the actual heck am I reading??" kind of laugh). Also the writing in general was just,,, bad. I literally have no words.

In addition to a pretty predictable plot, countless clichés, a main focus on a flat possessive romance, not-so notable ch
Korin Knobloch
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren R.
Ah, man. Way too predictable; I knew what was going on from the beginning basically. I didn’t jive with the writing style too much either. I did enjoy the small town Vermont setting quite a bit. Dang.

More thoughts:(view spoiler)
Charvi
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: liked-it-tier

I don't have many positive things to say about this book. What I will say is that it was easy to read and the writing style wasn't that bad but it wasn't very gripping either.

For me, the characters didn't attract me very much, I was always aware of the fact that I was reading a story and I wasn't immersed in it. And the thing that put me off the most was that I saw the killer coming from miles away.

I was suspicious of the murderer from the very beginning and then at the very first hin
Zoe L.
Full review (and giveaway) on my blog: https://yaitslitblog.wordpress.com/20...

So, I see that this book hasn’t gotten great reviews, and I don’t know why. Yes it is written for teens/pre-teens and reads a bit juvenile, but I mean, it is a YA book. I think that YA and NA books are becoming so intertwined that people forget that there is a differentiation between the two genres. While figuring out the murder may be easy for those who are good at guessing who-done-its (and even those who aren’t), I
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rated
  • Dead Girls Don't Lie
  • What Waits in the Water
  • All Eyes on Her
  • Blood Will Tell (Point Last Seen, #2)
  • Dead Girls Society
  • The Last Witness
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • R.I.P. Eliza Hart
  • Breakout
  • The Night She Disappeared
  • Nobody Knows but You
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • The Collected (The Collector, #2)

Articles featuring this book