Start by marking “Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life” as Want to Read:
Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life

Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life

Remember those childhood days spent running in your bare feet, playing make-believe, and most of all, living life with wonderment? That youthful enthusiasm and playfulness are key to discovering who you are and what you love to do. Living Out Loud is the perfect prescription for a creative jump start to your life. Included are games, projects, activities, crafts, postcards ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Living Out Loud, please sign up.
Elowin Most of Keri Smiths books are for children but this isnt age specific, i love writing and open any random page of this book for inspiration. You shoul…moreMost of Keri Smiths books are for children but this isnt age specific, i love writing and open any random page of this book for inspiration. You should read it(less)
Claire Wreck This Journal is appropriate for all ages-it just tells you how to destroy the book.

Start your review of Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
Chris
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Ok short activity book about how to bring more creativity into your life, which apparently involves a lot of stickers and vaguely New Agey sentiments. I did like the directions (page 61) for how to make a wee book from a single sheet of paper.
Robin Norgren
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read on a road trip this past weekend and oh my gosh I now have a full blown vision of how I would want to bring creatives together to art, love, laugh, cry, be!
Lucie
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This is really a cute little book with lots of fun ideas and tips to inspire and motivate. That was my first impression. Then i flipped through it again to jot down a few points i wanted to remember and found it was a bit more than just a cute little book...
Yes, it has a lot of info i've read in other books (just look at the source pages in the back) but it's nicely condensed and to the point. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a pick-me-up, but has no time to read.
Jane
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like this one very much because its not just about being creative in the 'normal' sense of the word but looking how life is lived and encouraging to step outside the box and experience it!
Tristy
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, art
I love Keri Smith. Her books are such joyful invitations to create every day and to live an authentic life of expression. I think this is one of her first publications in what has now become kind of her own "genre." I recognize the seeds of ideas in this book that went on to sprout entire books on that topic later on. So, I think because I have read her more recent stuff first, this seemed a little jumbled to me - as she is trying to squeeze a lot of ideas into one book. But that being said, it ...more
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I received this book for Christmas 2007. It is an enjoyable read. I was somewhat disappointed that much of the information contained I'd seen elsewhere with more detail. However, the exercises are inventive and lead to interesting self observations.
Rebecca V.Y
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another 'project' book, only a bit more girly this time. Inspiring to-do's, fun board game and a very helpful piece on how to make a living doing what you love¬
Karen
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoy this book. Many a dull moment has been brightened with it's recommendations.
Malu Vargas
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is freeing. It is one of those books I'd give a copy to every friend if I could. :)
Danielle Palmer
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So fun! Full of tips and activities for mindfulness and creativity. Plus it comes with stickers... Who doesn't need stickers?!
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that should be kept nearby and opened to a random page - ALWAYS. This is one of them.
Mary Kenyon
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute, fun, quick read, with lots of ideas and activities to try that I know I won't do, which is why I've rated this book lower than it probably deserves. One idea that really appealed to me was that of starting a "Creative Women" group, although I think "creative" is the wrong word for the group I'd love to be a part of that would recharge me and feed my creative soul. I know exactly which of the wonderful women I know would be invited, and they don't all know each other; there would be pots of ...more
Rekha
Having a creative block? The great thing about this is that the exercises are very action oriented. If you actually do them, they will probably get you inspired. And the exercises are written in such a way as to be as easy or as complicated as you want them to be. There's not a lot of description which is a good thing. Sometimes it's a little too skippetty-tra-la-la for me, but only sometimes, which is good for a book like this.
Tammy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's difficult for me to give 2 stars to one of Keri Smith's books but this one just doesn't hold a candle to books like "How to Be an Explorer of the World" which is one of the books I highly recommend for sparking creativity. Keri has good ideas throughout the book but it doesn't seem as cohesive as her other books. The book is in need of better editing. It's a very fast read. So I am still a fan of Keri Smith, but this isn't the book to get.
Marina
** Books 272 - 2014 **

I have read this books in one of bookstore near my offices. It is actually great idea but it was already some old ideas that repackage into a new books.. i have done some activities when i was younger.. it is great books for someone who love doing something new and out of the box..

but for me a great books should be enrich my knowledge.. so that's why i just give 2,4 of 5 stars! sorry :)
Megan
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Longer review can be found here on my blog.

A lovely quick read for those who want instant inspiration. The activities are fun and not the usual things you'd see in a book on creativity. I love the voice Keri Smith writes with and I felt very connected to her stories and feelings. Definitely one I'll pick up again and again when I'm feeling down.
Liv
Aug 31, 2009 is currently reading it
I'm really enjoying this!! The book is full of activities for a playful life, including lots of fun cut-out stuff, stickers etc. So far, it's been really fun although it's surprisingly intimidating scribbling randomly in a journal, or making a 'pocket shrine.' I consider myself pretty creative but its hard to not think, 'is this just a waste of time!?'
Helen
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The young at heart!
Shelves: recommendations
The idea behind this book is to have more fun and do more activities. This as an idea is really interesting. There are some cute freebies in the back of the book, for example cool postcards and cut-outs. Overall an ok ‘Self Help’ Book but a couple of Smiths ideas were slightly cheesy. Worth buying if you are young at heart!
jessica
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
miss esme asked for this at the bookstore, and when we didn't have it, i special ordered copies for both of us. this is super fun to read, and has little things you can cut out, a declaration you can sign, and other fun stuff like how to start a "creativity group".
Brian Dickinson
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: do-little
I do love multi-dimensional books.

This one is fun but only for those who can remember how to be a kid again. Its perhaps a bit on the girlie side so beware.

The games and exercises are a great help with positive creativity.
Eileen
Changed my life. I adore the direction this book placed me in. Keri Smith is a true gift of a writer. She celebrates the littlest moments that get overlooked often and in turn creates a brand new perspective filled with creativity, imagination, love, light, and fun. I will read anything she writes.
Kristina
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-enhancement
FANTASTIC kick in the seat of the pants, creatively speaking! Smith has so many wise and wonderful way to reignite the playful, productive spirit in us! Read on and shine on! Truly one of the best gift books I've ever received!! Thanks you, M.S.
Amanda
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is full of little ideas to live a positive and creative life. But it wasn't those ideas that really won me over, it was all of the stickers, the postcards, and craft-like things inside. I love me some stickers.
ali
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of ideas and activities to integrate creativity into your life. It's a very quick read. While I have yet to implement some of activities, I'm certainly looking forward to it!
Tosca Wijns-Van Eeden
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative
A brilliant inspiring and typical Keri Smith book. Also a fantastic book for adults to reinvent life, or living more up to our potential as creative beings with inspiring ideas for activities, funny pictures, cut outs, cards, or just a keepsake.
Loved it!!!
Lori
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Fun exercises to spark your creativity.
Rachel Fontenot Studio
get your creativity on!
Lynn
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fiction
I try to read this every year to jump start my creative side. Time to read it for 2008!
Janice Debattista
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun fun fun! The exercises are simple per se, however, they really shatter your comfort zone. Love a challenge :)

• Everyday Matters
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Creative Companion: How to Free Your Creative Spirit
  • The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to Be The Artist You Truly Are
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks  Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • What It Is
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists
  • Spilling Open: The Art of Becoming Yourself
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
Keri Smith is an author/illustrator turned guerilla artist. She has several bestselling books, including Wreck This Journal, This is Not a Book, How To Be An Explorer of the World, Mess, Finish this Book, and The Wander Society all published by Penguin Books. Read more at her website http://WWW.KERISMITH.COM

News & Interviews