Start by marking “Wreck This Journal” as Want to Read:
Wreck This Journal

Wreck This Journal

For anyone who's ever wished to, but had trouble starting, keeping, or finishing a journal or sketchbook comes Wreck This Journal, an illustrated book that features a subversive collection of prompts, asking readers to muster up their best mistake- and mess-making abilities to fill the pages of the book (and destroy them). Acclaimed illustrator Keri Smith encourages journa ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about Wreck This Journal, please sign up.
Bluesybil I think 8 *may* be a bit young, depending on the child, then again 8 year olds seldom have the kind of hangups that keeps one from engaging in the…moreI think 8 *may* be a bit young, depending on the child, then again 8 year olds seldom have the kind of hangups that keeps one from engaging in the kind of "Creative Destruction" encouraged in the journal in the first place.

The journal seems to be geared primarily towards letting the creative inner child in perfectionist adults come out to play, but 12 is definitely old enough to have fun with and enjoy it :)(less)

Anna-Cate Orton
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Whoah. So I got this on friday, and have slowly been completing the easier pages; poking hole in the paper, chucking it at my brothers head (he ducked just in time) and wearing it around tied to my head with a shoelace. But I'm struggling to move past this stage; I think's its because it still (from the outside at least) looks relatively clean. So today I AM TACKLING THAT PROBLEM.

I have decided to dive right into one of the scarier pages in hope that it will make the book look shabbier and I wi
Wybie Lovat
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Before I had even heard of this book, I was in a deep depression, and over come with self-pity and self-malice. But I noticed it once. I flipped through it.
Then suddenly the World turned upside down. The sun turned into the Moon. I was walking on the cieling,while everyone else stared at me, upside down. I grinned so much it hurt.
And the next week I bought it with no hesiation. This first thing I did was scribble insanely. AND THAT SENT ME FREE!!!!!!!!!!
Wether you need an uplift or not, Wreck th
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
[Update] I think we can safely say I failed this task too..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only bought the journal today, but I've had quite a bit of fun with it already. I've dripped syrup on it, stuffed kaffir lime leaves in it, coloured, painted, dripped, scribbled, stuck, stamped and torn. Here are a couple of the earliest entries.

Office Supplies - WTJ

Outside the lines - WTJ

Don't worry. It'll get messier....!
Alexandra
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ...more
Kim
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting idea. This book is where I developed my belief that one should not treat books one reads with reverence. Let me explain: I am engaged to a man that collects comic books. Now, as a general rule, comics are fairly fragile, being only a few sheets of paper held together with a couple staples. So when he reads them, he holds them delicately, and their spines are never broken. The books are never opened wide, and he lies them down open on his palms, instead of holding each side of the boo ...more
Veronika
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
*currently destroying*
Charlotte
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Most eternal love to this piece of brilliance, light of my most boring seminars at university, spark of my imagination when I walk the streets, trigger of ideas, tank tearing down the barriers in my creativity...
Okay, I'll stop here.
Love it. Gotta love it. Got it from a friend, have seldomly been more delighted by a piece of creativity-triggering-book. Am working fanatically on it. :D
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
Jan 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but this is just my opinion. As a journal keeper for many years I find this book and other "Art/Inspiration by Command" books like it repulsive. I think they serve to give form, where form should be created by itself. They are evil and work to inhibit, rather than help the flow of creativity. But 290 other people seem to like it, so what do I know?
Kristin Davison
 photo image 32_zpsouoktord.jpeg
 photo image 33_zpswnntyiou.jpeg
Lina Ahmad
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أتلف دفتر اليوميات هذا : يطلب منك هذا الكتاب عمل أمور قد تتردد في عملها ، لذلك كن مستعدا ، عِش بتهورٍ أكبرَ !
ألقِ قهوتك على الكتاب ، اصنع ثقوبا في الصفحات ، افرك بالتراب على صفحات الكتاب ، خيّط احدى صفحاته .
تحذير ! خلال عمليات هذا الكتاب قد تجد نفسك متسخًا ، مغطى بالطلاء ، بقايا الطعام والعديد من المواد الغريبة . سوف تصاب بالبلل.
يطلب منك الكتاب ان تقوم بأشياء غريبة وليس لك القدرة على عدم تنفيذها ، فتجد نفسك خاضعا له .
قد تحزن على الحالة المثالية التي بانت على وجه الكتاب في البداية ، وقد تبدأ في
Leanna
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Technically, Keri Smith’s Wreck This Journal isn’t exactly a book, but I wanted to write a review of it anyway.

This week, I gave the “journal” to my niece who turned 13 years old. I knew she would either react with rapture or complete apathy. Fortunately for my aspirations to be a cool aunt, she loved it.

Each page of the journal contains different instructions for destructing the book: poke holes through this page, burn that page, mail the entire journal to yourself. My niece immediately set out
Liam
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book will literally provide me with hours, days, weeks, months, years of stuff to do! It's kept me busy for so long and it's just nice to do a little bit every now and then when I'm in the mood! Such a great idea and would recommend to all!
Danny Phanton
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta resultando más entretenido de lo que esperaba.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pues ya comencé con este libro, me gusta la idea de "destrozarlo" y esta bastante entretenido para desestresarte un poco. Difícil por eso de que cuidar un libro es importante para mi y eso lo hace interesante.

Aunque un poco caro para lo que es, pero bueno. Me gusta bastante.
Wan Rathna
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wan by: Kenny Sim
THE BEST STRESS RELIEVER IN THE WORLD!

I always have my own way of "treating" my diary. I cut it in half if the year was a shitty one or i intentionally leave stained of coffee on the name of a person i hated.

By the end of my first year in university, a close senior of mine gave this book as a present and I was so fascinated by the format of the journal. Every flip of the pages makes me feel like they are mocking and challenging me. Maybe bcoz I always felt like a diary/journal should be "innocen
Mirela
EmilyGrace
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: perfectionists,
Recommended to EmilyGrace by: friend
"WARNING: During the process of this book you will get dirty. You may find yourself covered in paint, or any other number of foreign substances. You will get wet. You may be asked to do things you question. You may grieve for the perfect state that you found the book in. You may begin to see creative destruction everywhere. You may begin to live more recklessly.
Dedicated to perfectionists all over the world."

Absolutely hilarious. This was given to me as a birthday present from a good friend who
Thebruce1314
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of giving instructions to be followed/interpreted on each page. The point of the journal is to break the habit of all perfectionists who shudder to think of a page being bent in one of their books. I am one of those, without a doubt: crack a spine and I'll crack your arm. Though it was difficult at first, it was liberating to be able to "wreck" the journal, creating a unique work of art in the process. It's hard to ever be finished with this book, as it is always evolving; it' ...more
Cass
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars because it is a really good idea for a "book" but I can't find it in myself to actually wreck the book so it just sits on the shelf looking pretty.
sofia (sam willows)
It was fun to throw the book in the water and walk with it around like a dog, I'll tell you that
Maryam   Same
صادفت مغرد في تويتر ناشر صفحه منه وعجبتني فكرته وشريته هو دفتر لتفريغ طاقتك السلبيه \ التسليه \ اللعب في صفحات طبقت اللي فيها وصفحات اخرى كانت صعبه =) مثلا في صفحه يطلب منك الرسم \صفحه اخرى يطلب منك تمزق الورقه وتصنع منها حلقات \ صفحه اخرى تملئها برائحه عطر تعجبك وهكذا بشكل عام هو دفتر للتسليه فقط اذا تبحث عن فائده ما بيناسبك =) ومناسب لعمر +12
Beáta Lišková
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Prečítala som všetky nápady, ale pochybujem, že do tej knihy spravím čiarku, maximálne očíslujem strany a niečo vyfarbím, bože mne je to tak ľúto dačo tej knihe spraviť, ani omylom nebudem trhať strany

začalo to kreslením čiar na jednej strane, skončilo to odtlačkami narúžovaných pier a rúk od cvikly, 2 vytrhnutými stranami, tromi hodeniami o stenu, 2 streknutiami voňavkou a kilom lepiacej pásky ... neviem koho som sa snažila oklamať, som nervák od narodenia a keď začnem čarbať tak neviem sk
Shelly
Not exactly a book to be read as much as it is a book to experience. One of the first instructions is to crack the spine... I whimpered. But now that I'm past that, I'm finding it a whole lot of fun -- although I'm not too sure about taking it for a walk....
Juliana Zapata
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Aunque no soy para nada creativa, tengo que reconocer que me divertí mucho destrozando este diario. Me sentía como niña chiquita con juguete nuevo.
Rosa
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Creative Journals.
Got this from Urban Outfitters. This looks like a good book to use as a random scrapbook and observation journal. I have so far gotten this book wet along with scribbling inside it, and tearing out the pages and following a few of it's instructions. After you jot down some random notes inside this book, it often reminds me of a book that was distressed by someone else, instead of being owned by me. You get the feeling after using this book that you are looking into a book that was left behind by ...more
Rhea Fuentes
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have just got my "Wreck This Journal" by Keri Smith this morning. To create is to destroy - It's pretty a fascinating journal, as I would put it. The fact that each of the pages would ask you to pour coffee on it, poke holes in the pages with pencil, draw lines, scratch the journal with sharp object, scribble wildly and violently, rip it up, hide a secret message somewhere in the book and so on... really makes me excited.

My little sister thinks I'm insane for buying a journal that I would des
Anna
Nov 10, 2012 added it
10 hours after buying my copy of 'Wreck this Journal' and its already been taken in the shower, the spine cracked and (much to my disgust) smeared with food.
Admitidly I might not gone about completing my journal in the best order. Half way through spreading gravy half-heartedly across my page I realised - if I followed the books instructions correctly - I would have to sleep with the journal.
For book lovers this book will either be a nightmare of ripped pages and bent covers or a opportunity to
Grace
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not exactly a reading book, but an activity book. A fun, creative, see-just-how-beat-up-you-can-get-it activity book. I had hours of fun with it and to prove it I can show you all two pieces! (I don't remember exactly what task split it at the spine, but it probably happened after throwing it at the wall then dragging it around from a string outside) I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't mind getting in the dirt and having fun :)
Sophia Tallon
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
WOOOOOOW!!!! I got this as a present yesterday for Christmas from my aunt and -seriously?- It is AWESOME!!!! This is the BEST journal EVER!!! Who knew throwing a journal at the wall could be SO fun :D I am still working on doing all that it comands...I don't know if I'll tie a string to it and take it for a walk...That picture of it is NOT accurate btw. Mine is WRECKED literally the cover looks waaaaaay more awesome now :D
Andrea
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Destrucción colectiva protagonizada por: Nanu, Liz, Lau, Violante y moi
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The Happy Book: A Journal to Celebrate What Makes You Happy
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • 642 Things to Write About
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • All about Us
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lion's Lunch?
  • I Was Here: A Travel Journal for the Curious Minded
  • What I Love about You
  • The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game
Keri Smith is an author/illustrator turned guerilla artist. She has several bestselling books, including Wreck This Journal, This is Not a Book, How To Be An Explorer of the World, Mess, Finish this Book, and The Wander Society all published by Penguin Books. Read more at her website http://WWW.KERISMITH.COM