Start by marking “Christian Worldview” as Want to Read:
Christian Worldview

Christian Worldview

For the First Time in English, a Foundational Work of One of the Church's Most Important Theologians

As some point in life, we all wonder: Who am I? What is the world, and what is my place within it? Only Christianity offers answers to these questions in a way that meets our truest needs and satisfies our deepest longings.

In this important book, translated into English
Published October 29th 2019 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Christian Worldview, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christian Worldview

Start your review of Christian Worldview
Jeanie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Now by the nature of things, a worldview is always "unified. As long as we have not understood, however, all the realms and spheres of creation as parts of a whole, our worldview is not rounded out and complete. Of course, the question here is not whether we have already brought our worldview to that point or ever shall do so, but the concept implies harmonious unity. As such, there can be no essentially different worldview in religion and in philosophy, for the common people and for the ...more
Scott
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
There has been a nice bit of energy behind translating and publishing the works of Herman Bavinck that have heretofore only been available to Bavinck scholars fluent in Dutch. The translation energies by all of the scholars on this project—Eglinton, Sutanto, and Brock—are to be commended. As a fan of Herman Bavinck, I believe that the more of his work in English the better.

That being the case, this work—Christian Worldview—while very important for Bavinck scholars and specialists, may be
Steve
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The term worldview was first introduced to the Christian world by Abraham Kuyper, who drew upon the insights of James Orr. Unfortunately, the term has become abused, overused and misused.

This book by Herman Bavinck (1854-1921), Kuyper’s successor as professor of theology at the Free University, is a welcome addition to the worldview literature, particularly as it was written well before the term had fallen into a theoretical trap. This then is not a summary of Christian thinking and theology as
Samuel Kassing
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal! Great introduction to the Christian world-and-life view. Takes on three huge philosophical questions and shows how the Christian view offers more coherence and beauty.

There is some dense philosophical language. But it’s worth the time. This book could read like an apologetic tract for our time. And yet it was written over one hundred years ago.
Steve
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. Here is Bavinck grappling with the basic metaphysical, epistemological and ethic foundations for the Faith. Read it carefully, and perhaps with others, to get the most out of it.
Erik Anderson
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Short, thick, but some profound poetic gems throughout.
Jimmy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the much anticipated first time English translation of Dutch Reformed theologian Herman Bavinck’s Christian Worldview. For those who are unfamiliar with Bavinck he was the chief systematic theologian of the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century and whose contribution to theology has enjoyed greater appreciation today. This book addresses the constant changing late modern world and also the disharmony that unbiblical worldviews were causing, namely a disharmony between our ...more
E
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This work is in English translation for the first time. The three translators did an able job. They say in the introduction that they do not attempt to smooth over Bavinck's writing. If he's dense or unclear, so are they. I greatly appreciate that in a translation. They also do a good job with Bavinck's frequent recourse to German, Greek, and Latin. They always translate but provide the original as well. This is incredibly helpful because he is often interacting with older works that use words ...more
Joan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Scholars spoke and wrote differently a century ago and this work gives evidence to that. I had difficulty following the unfamiliar style of prose. Many of the philosophers and scholars mentioned are unfamiliar to me. For a layperson interested in how a Reformed Christian worldview was crafted a century ago, this was an unsatisfying read. Bavinck's work here is not so much an exploration of a Christian worldview as it is a philosophical argument that all things find their origin in God.

A few
David Steele
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
“And in this struggle, every man of Christian profession should assemble under the banner of the King of truth,” writes Herman Bavinck in Christian Worldview. This volume was originally translated from the updated edition which appeared in 1913.

The editors get to the core of Bavinck’s agenda:“It is only the Christian worldview that provides true harmony between God and the world, God and the self, and the self and the world.” The answer, then, to the deepest questions of the human heart are
Andrew Becham
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
J.
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bavinck is one of the Christian giants from the past who is soaked in the word of God and bleeds the Bible as it were. The reader will find this book thick but rewarding, dense but not try. This book will refresh you.
Dave
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well-translated work by the great Dutch theologian Herman Bavinck. While a very worthwhile read, I would say it is not for the casual reader. But it is worth the effort to work through it and ruminate on it.
Coyle
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"An important contribution to this renaissance is the recent translation and publication of Bavinck’s Christian Worldview. Originally delivered as a Rector’s Address (apparently students used to be a lot higher caliber than they are today–or maybe it’s just that Dutch students are superior… because I certainly wouldn’t have been able to sit through this as an undergrad and have any chance of keeping up) and then expanded for publication, "Christian Worldview" is a short introduction to Christian ...more
David
Brian Seagraves
Oct 26, 2019
Michael Abraham
Jan 11, 2020

• Redemptive Reversals and the Ironic Overturning of Human Wisdom: "the Ironic Patterns of Biblical Theology: How God Overturns Human Wisdom"
  • Theological Retrieval for Evangelicals: Why We Need Our Past to Have a Future
  • Reenchanting Humanity: A Theology of Mankind
  • Against the Darkness: The Doctrine of Angels, Satan, and Demons
  • The Moon Is Always Round
  • From Adam and Israel to the Church: A Biblical Theology of the People of God
  • Reappearing Church: The Hope for Renewal in the Rise of Our Post-Christian Culture
  • The Whole Armor of God: How Christ's Victory Strengthens Us for Spiritual Warfare
  • Not Home Yet: How the Renewal of the Earth Fits Into God's Plan for the World
  • Hearers and Doers: A Pastor's Guide to Growing Disciples Through Scripture and Doctrine
  • Emblems of the Infinite King: Enter the Knowledge of the Living God
  • My Heart Cries Out: Gospel Meditations for Everyday Life
Herman Bavinck (1854-1921) succeeded Abraham Kuyper as professor of systematic theology at the Free University of Amsterdam in 1902.