Start by marking “The Resurrectionist of Caligo” as Want to Read:
The Resurrectionist of Caligo

The Resurrectionist of Caligo

With a murderer on the loose, it's up to an enlightened bodysnatcher and a rebellious princess to save the city, in this wonderfully inventive Victorian-tinged fantasy noir.

"Man of Science" Roger Weathersby scrapes out a risky living digging up corpses for medical schools. When he's framed for the murder of one of his cadavers, he's forced to trust in the superstitions he'
Published September 10th 2019 by Angry Robot

Start your review of The Resurrectionist of Caligo
Mary S. R.
I'll now be serving you a royally pissed off review sprinkled with a formidable amount of swearing and depictions of violence and mutilation so...proceed at your own risk.

“No human is better than another. I’ve cut up enough of ’em, and we all look more or less the same on the inside. We all rot when we’re dead.”

You'd probably find this review harsh. Hell, tomorrow-me would probably find this review harsh. But you know what? I don't give a shit. This is my review, my thoughts about all tha
Umairah | Sereadipity
Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5

The Resurrectionist of Caligo was a Victorian fantasy and murder mystery with strong themes of medicine, grief and illness. It had a promising premise and although I liked the ideas in it, I felt slightly let down by it at the same time.

Roger Weathersby was a resurrectionist- a person who unlawfully unearthed corpses to sell on to medical schools. However, when he one day discovered a strange and horrifying corpse he began to follow the clues surrounding a str
wanderer (Para)
ARC received from the publisher (Angry Robot) in exchange for an honest review

I had fairly high expectations going in. Dark Victorian fantasy with a murder mystery plot and at least of a bit of a focus on medicine? Plus that gorgeous cover? Unfortunately, The Resurrectionist of Caligo was a letdown. Initially, I was hopeful it would be one of those books that manage to pull it off despite its many flaws, but the nearer to the end I was, the more clear it became that this is sadly not the case. T
Alex
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
First of all a resurrectionist is not Dr. Frankenstein, he’s a guy who sneaks into graveyards at night and digs corpses up to sell to sleazy Victorian doctors for dissection practice. I figure that information will make you either more or less excited about this book. For me it’s more exciting, I love this shit, Victorian doctors are such nightmares, always bloody to their elbows with plague pus and leeching widows to death and whatever. It’s all very gothic.

The Resurrectionist of Caligo marries
Tana 🌻 Cozyreadings
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2019
28/06/2019

i recieved a copy through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

3.75

Meet Roger, a resurrectionist, and Sybilla, a princess with magical powers that has been stowed away because she is refusing to marry her cousin. Meanwhile, a strangler is killing a certain type of women. Roger is at the wrong place at the wrong time, and gets blamed for these killings.

In the synopsis of the book, it said that Roger and Sybilla tagged up to find this mysterious killer in Caligo. This is
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews from this author and others, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

40 points, 2 ¼ stars

Quote:
She was dead now, at any rate. Accidental premature burial was not unknown. It was not his fault. Though a resurrectionist in name, he could not actually bring the dead back.

Review:
Unfortunately, I had a lot of problems with the Resurrectionist of Caligo. It started off poorly with me. Then, it did get a bit better before there was a steep nosedive at the end. I just feel a bi
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
Thank you to Angry Robot for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

“She’s the ninth to die, they say. Just like the ones before her.” Her voice was almost too soft for Roger to catch. “The daily papers don’t report it for fear of scandalizing visitors, what with that Cabbage King of Khalishka on his way. Can’t say I blame them.” Nine women? Roger stretched his neck upward to hear the rest of it. “One expects such ends for women of the slums, but not actresses and respectable shopkeepers. I a
Hélène Louise
I was absolutely delighted by this book, since the very beginning until the last page, and have already pre ordered the paper book. I'll be very happy to read the sequel, and will certainly re read this one first.

Curiously it's often easier to explain why some read didn't agree with me than explain about my enthusiasm. I will thus start with a possible trigger for a random reader: corpses.

If the story is settled is a fantasy world, with magic, and not an uchronic one, the atmosphere holds a cert
Reese Hogan
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun! It was unlike anything I’ve read before, in either setting or plot. I think what I loved the most was the way science and magic were addressed. In books about magic, you don’t often see people of science trying to figure out how these tricks are performed every step of the way. It brought to mind (as it was meant to) the way marvelous new inventions like lighting and medical marvels would have felt to the people of Victorian England. I found Roger’s character so endear ...more
Tyler Hayes
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got the chance to read an ARC of this, and I'm thrilled to say I loved it! Trimboli and Zaloga have penned an emotional story of high Gothic fantastical weirdness; it reads like Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, and Gail Carriger got buried alive together and managed to mingle the best parts of each other into a single novel. Our protagonists are Roger, graverobber, man of science, and trashfire cinnamon bun; and Sibylla, headstrong princess and wielder of semi-divine magic. The story starts with ...more
Kristen
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Full review is here, on my blog!~

This is the story of Roger Weathersby, a surgeon, or at least, a medical student of sorts, in the city of Caligo, which is very like Victorian London, but with a little more magic. Roger is also a resurrectionist, which more or less means he steals corpses and sells them to medical schools around the city. That’s how he funds his medical education.

It is also the story of Princess Sibylla, who is the granddaughter of the queen. In this world, the royal line have c
Lynn Williams
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 of 5 stars
I have to say straight up that I had a good time with The Resurrectionist of Caligo. I had a few little issues but they were only minor and didn’t spoil the read at all for me.

The Resurrectionist is set in a pseudo Victorian time and place and really plays into that setting.

As the story begins we make the introduction of Roger Weathersby, a body snatcher or grave robber – or ‘man of science’ as he prefers to be called. Body snatching was, l
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

actual rating: 2.5

I'm sure this could be a very enjoyable read for the right person, but I was just bored out of my mind. I think I could have given it 3 stars if it was maybe ...2/3rds to half length it is now, but it just felt like it dragged on and on. The setting is decent enough - a Victorian inspired semi-steampunk world with magic - but none of the aspects are really explored in-depth [shocking considering the overall length but I digress]
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
I thoroughly enjoyed the world building and the characters, especially Roger, Ada and Princess Sibet. It was so good I read it in one sitting. If you like Victorian gothic mysteries you'll enjoy this one. I hope that this becomes a series because I would love to revisit this world again.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley and Angry Robot in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
Preslaysa Williams
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-told Gothic Story with magic and mystery, and I loved it. Reminded me of one of my favorite writers, Edgar Allen Poe. I especially enjoyed the Roger and Sybilla. I am looking forward to more stories from the authors, Tromboli and Zaloga.

I received an ARC of this novel and I’m voluntarily leaving a review.
Queen Terrible Timy
When I saw the cover for The Resurrectionist of Caligo, it instantly picked my interest, along with the blurb. It definitely sounded like something up my alley, a gothic-noir tale I could lose myself in. And so, I had really high expectations. Maybe too high, because The Resurrectionist of Caligo sadly did not deliver what it promised to me. I tried, I really tried to love it, but 19% in I just had to give up. As I didn't read it fully, I will only leave a mini review here, summing up my thought ...more
Michelle Hauck
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Before steampunk there is gaslamp fantasy--a Dickensian type world of Victorian standards and morals where the poor stand out in sharp contrast to the wealthy and medicine has yet to evolve. Where civilization is just starting to break out of the dark ages into modern thinking and science.

The Ressurrectionist of Caligo is a unique type of fantasy. I don't think you'll find a first chapter quite like this one anyplace else or with more vivid characters. It's not often you open a book to grave rob
Dan
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE RESURRECTIONIST OF CALIGO is gothic fantasy in the extreme. Its pages are packed with fog shrouded streets, eerie blood magic, grave-robbing, court intrigue, bitter rivalries, shattered hearts, faded dreams, elegant clothing, and perhaps the strangest literary mushrooms since ALICE IN WONDERLAND.

The debut novel from Wendy Trimboli and Alicia Zaloga is a delight, filled with impeccable worldbuilding and compelling characterizations. I’m happy to say that every time I felt like I knew where t
Connie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roger Weathersby is a man of science who makes a poor living by robbing the graves of the newly deceased and selling the fresh corpses to the medical schools. He dreams of becoming a Doctor but the dream is shattered when Roger is framed for a string of murders that he didn't commit. The only one who can save him is his old friend Princess Sibylla and her blood magic ritual.
I loved this, my heart was in my mouth on more than one occasion.
I hope there will be more to come.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I greatly enjoyed this book - another wonderful read full of pathos and humor that publisher Angry Robot always delivers. Set in a less grim Dickensian London full of magical realism, the author successfully treads the line between unremitting hopelessness and dark humor. These are characters we want to follow even with their foibles and susceptibility to fate. The writing is quick, descriptive, and moves the plot wel
Alyson Kent
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up. Thank you Edelweiss and Angry Robot for the eARC

I really wanted to give this book five stars, because I did enjoy it book and I’m curious to see what happens with them next considering what Roger is up to at the end and what’s going on with Sibylla, but I was annoyed that the storyline didn’t really follow the synopsis until the last 30% of the book (I was reading an eARC).

I was expecting Roger’s framing to happen earlier than it did, and for him and Sibylla to have met ba
Lucy Gardiner (luc_lostinbooks)
The resurrectionist of caligo is a murder mystery with fantasy elements combining magic & science.
Roger Weathersby a body snatcher who is a man of science and refuses to believe in magic or magic beings at the start but seems awfully superstitious anyway carrying garlic and other charms to ward the creatures off. I loved him as a character he was hilarious “That belongs to my stiff, you imp.” Saying to a young girl who tried to steal something whilst in the process of robbing a dead body 😂😂

Prin
Sarah Van
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delicious Gothic mix of magic and science. Love the fully realized characters, particularly Roger, 'the sac-em-up man', and Ada, otherwise known as 'Ghost'. The story pulls you in from the first grave-robbing scene with those two, weaves in spirited, magical, Princess Sibet, and spits you at the other end, wanting to test your own blood, just in case you have 'magic.'
If you like gaslamps, darkness, humor (yes humor, wait till you read the letters between Roger and Sibet) and blood magic,
Patrice Sarath
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this book. Great world-building, a snarky princess, wonderful letters, magic, a plucky street urchin -- all this plus grave-robbing for a cause. I'm looking forward to more stories in the city of Caligo.
Kelly
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The cover is what picked my interest at first. When I read the blurb, I thought it could change me from the usual Fantasy. Adding historical fiction / Steampunk as its genres made me curious to see if I would like it. Unfortunately, I can say Victorian Fantasy is not my thing.

I was supposed to read the e-ARC before its publication but I didn't get to it on time so when I saw the audiobook was available on Scribd, I chose to listen to it. The thing with audiobooks is that I get bored easily if I'
zaheerah
*I received a copy via the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

Roger Weathersby barely scrapes by making a living out of stealing corpses for medical schools, dreaming that one day, he’ll be a reputable doctor that saves lives. But when he’s framed for a murder of one of his steals, he is forced to reunite with an old friend to save the city and, hopefully, clear his name. The old friend in question is none of than Princess Siby
Lindsay
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Overall enjoyable if you don’t go into it with high expectations. Ambitious, but lacking the reader payoff that would make it a great story.

Setting: 4/5 Characters: 2.5/5 Plot: 3/5 Magic: 2/5

The premise is intriguing, the world building is immersive, and the climax is simultaneously horrifying and ingenious. Detailed Victorian era setting really draws you into the story, but unfortunately I had so many issues with the content that it couldn’t hold my attention long enough for me to enjoy the e
Anna Tan
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
Roger Weathersby is a Man of Science in a land ruled by magic--it's magic that lends legitimacy to the throne, passed down through the royal blood. He's skeptical about it, the way the royals are worshipped and deified, but when Roger is framed for murder, magic might be the only thing that can save him.

The Resurrectionist of Caligo delves into the slightly macabre, with Roger digging up dead bodies for a living, throwing us back into that bygone era were doctors were still learning about the h
Annarella
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I find hard to describe this book because it somehow reminded me of Gail Carriger, I think the simil Victorian setting, the witty dialogues and how Sybil is written reminded me of the Parasol Protectorate (I adore it).
At the same time there're some gothic part and I also love them.
It was like eating a big cake, one of those case full of colourful decorations and with the right taste. A cake you cannot stop eating and enjoying.
This book is excellent, entertaining, enjoyable and wasn't able to put
Nathan Makaryk
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an advance copy of RESURRECTIONIST, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved the gentlemanly-Victorian fantasy world and the macabre Jack-the-Ripper style murder investigation, but even moreso I loved the conflict between science and magic in this world, and that both are still barely understood and considered to be nothing but parlor tricks by the other side. Very much in line for anyone who enjoyed books like Schwab's A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC, and the theme and types of magic ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Imaginary Corpse
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Fugitive and the Vanishing Man (The Map of Unknown Things, #3)
  • City of Broken Magic (Chronicles of Amicae  #1)
  • The Nightjar
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Unnatural Magic
  • The Outlaw and the Upstart King (The Map of Unknown Things, #2)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • Creeping Jenny (John Nyquist, #3)
  • The Queen of All Crows (The Map of Unknown Things, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Truths (A Conspiracy of Truths, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • The Light Years
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)