Start by marking “The Algebra of Happiness: Finding the Equation for a Life Well Lived” as Want to Read:
The Algebra of Happiness: Finding the Equation for a Life Well Lived

The Algebra of Happiness: Finding the Equation for a Life Well Lived

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Four, Scott Galloway, a provocative book of hard-won wisdom for achieving a fulfilling career and life, based on his viral video of the same name.

Scott Galloway teaches brand strategy at NYU's Stern School of Business, but often his class veers to life strategy. His students are smart and hardworking, but they struggle with
Published April 16th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Algebra of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Algebra of Happiness

Start your review of The Algebra of Happiness: Finding the Equation for a Life Well Lived
Melanie  Bisson
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
We have dramatically different views of happiness. I think the title should be The Algebra of Happiness for Insanely Wealthy Men.
Diversity Horror
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Great advice if you want a heteronormative, monogamous marriage with kids, and come from a privileged background. Otherwise you're going to find incredibly unhelpful advice from a man seemingly unaware of his own privilege, and wish he would shut the hell up about his kid already.

Galloway's writing comes off as smug, even bragging, which is another huge turn off. His advice is based solely on personal experience, not on any kind of QoL (quality of life) research and is therefore biased, in
Aria
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A bunch of small stories. It feels to me just a collection sometimes without a clear purpose. Nice and quick read. Author is new to me but probably famous anyway. I can’t help imagining his big ego jumping out of the paper (kindle) while reading it.
Jak Krumholtz
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Current reflections on their life by someone in the middle of trying to figure it out. This book is a good overview of Galloway, someone I've always admired, (despite probably being an asshole and not always agreeing with everything he says,) for pointing out when their predictions are wrong and cutting through corporate BS. He's found great rewards in having kids so the book has a big focus on that. Also love the focus on providing a loved one (his mother) with a good death. As it's bite-sized, ...more
Lucas
A few memorable/interesting/funny moments, but mostly seemed like a book written to make a quick buck. Lots of aimless stories at the end.
Scott Carpinteri
Wow, this book was impressive. I heard Galloway in several book-tour interviews talk about the book and decided to give it a read.

First off, I love that he starts the book owning that he has absolutely no formal training on the topic, but decided to put his life's lessons to print. Perhaps this sets the reader's expectations in a way for the author to under-promise and over-deliver. Well done.

The author just tells it like he has seen it. His style is brutally honest and simultaneously quite
Bartosz Majewski
Like everyone, I am struggling with personal happiness and balancing it with ambition and caring for others so every now and then I read something that may produce some findings on how to be a happier person. This is not a great book, it's not scientific but it's a personal account of a high achieving entrepreneur - a perspective close to mine and therefore valuable for me.

If you are, like me a frequent reader of Scott's No Mercy No Malice newsletter you've already read around 1/3 of this book.
Peter O'Kelly
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some related resources:
• YouTube presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW6x...
• Recode interview: https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/5/3/1...
• Forbes interview: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterhig...
Brent Spilkin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A 2-hour read every man in his prime should read.
I would love to turn this into a course.
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
Most books start out well, and this one follows suit. However, toward the middle of this inspirational book or self-improvement device, I noticed that there was too much speak about personal life circumstances and speak about struggles of becoming a CEO. For most people, the goal of becoming a CEO is outlandish as saying that you want be an astronaut at the age of 33, or something similar.
But, for the first 25 pages or so, there is some good content that applies to the "normals" those of us
Susan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Scott is a very naive man. An odd comment about a NYU Stern School of Business marketing professor but he is.
First he believes everyone wants to be married. Then he wants everyone to have children and finally one should be good to them. Ok I would agree there, if you have them you should be good to them, but not everyone either wants or has them. Finally he believes no one absolutely no one has a job they enjoy and like. At first i thought he was joking but as the story goes on, I realized he
Tom Scheby
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found the first half of the book more interesting than the second half. The first half was more like what you would expect from the title while the second half was more like "Scott Galloway's auto-biography" (which I never would read since I don't really know Scott Galloway).
Marcelo Galdieri
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A long version of Scott Galloway's YouTube video of the same name. Nothing earth-shattering, but a collection of going things we need to be reminded of as frequently as possible.
Vlad Bezden
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very primitive. I did not learn anything from this book. For me, it was just a waist of time.
Eric Franklin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in tech or investing, or heaven forbid, tech investing, you should be following Scott Galloway on Twitter, his podcasts, and YouTube channels. He's backed by a great research team, as well as folks who build out great visuals, and when you put that together with his trademark rapid-fire, insightful, hyper-direct delivery, you end up with a highly effective presenter.

This book, however, is different than that. This book is about the highly personal distillation of his life
Agenor
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A concise worthwhile book with some useful insights. Most of the content should be obvious to people who have read anything in this genre previously (exercise regularly, increased wealth leads to higher life satisfaction but only up to a certain point, the power of compound interest) however it's the nature of these topics that we need to be reminded of them continuously, which this book does well. There are also a few principles stated through a "business school" framework which I thought was a ...more
Ryan
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, owned
Scott gives a bunch of short vignettes about life. Lots of good tidbits scatter through the book but not a whole lot of cohesion.

I can't help but read it in his voice. Thanks Pivot!
Dani
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was dull and random. There was a stretch of interesting content, but only because he was talking about Eckhart Tolle.
Christian Langenegger
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read it or listen to the audiobook. Especially important for young people, but even younger ones will discover topics to reflect upon. It’s an honest, no BS book that will make you think about the immaterial things in life.
Irma
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert: it's kids and relationships (not necessarily romantic ones).
Adriana
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
More graduation speeches should be this no-nonsense and honest. As a successful businessman and professor, Galloway could act like a complete asshat for the rest of his life, and people would still look up to him. However, in his short collection of life stories, anecdotes, and professional learnings, he uses his writing as his own personal catharsis, providing perspective on his personal discovery of what's important in life. He makes a great conversationalist and has no delusions about his own ...more
Sam Gerrits
A nice, quick read, but I didn't take away anything new as I typically do with these kinds of books. I enjoy Galloway's wit and bluntness, but sometimes it comes off as rude.
Smitha Murthy
That's three books in a row I have read that are released in 2019. And no, I didn't like any of them much. Time for my beloved classics, perhaps? I am not sure what the algebra in this book is. These last three years I have done a fair bit of reading on happiness and I couldn't find anything new here. I like the fact that the author considers himself a bit of an asshole but the rest of the book I can't recollect at all. No wait. Have kids. That's the ultimate note on happiness. Just have kids. ...more
Henrik Haapala
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: happiness, how-to
• From age 25-45 “shit gets real - work, stress, building a life takes a toll”. Then in your 50s things you begin to register the wonderful blessings around you.
• Lack of balance in twenties and thirties, sweat and work translates into balance later. Young —> get busy (work)
• Career advice: less sexy job = more professional fulfillment. Sexy job = less fulfilled. Boring company = good investment. Exciting company = bad investment.
• In 50s married couples have 3x the assets of their single
Kimi Ceridon
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wish the description would have included that the primary audience was for man-children and sit-com caricature portrayals of men. The summary uses coded language like "brash" and "no-BS insight" to pretend the author is giving candid, straight-talking, frank advice with a hard-love kind of delivery, but what's really in the book is a highly privileged guy who led a highly privileged life doling out condescension, misogyny, tired old tropes about what makes up masculinity, men's roles in ...more
Zahava
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hadn't read any reviews or anything so I really had no expectations of this book. I ended up being disappointed. I felt like the book started off pretty well, simple "equations" depicted by illustrations followed by related anecdotes. Then it started going in random directions and I felt like the author was going off on tangents that really didn't relate to the overall theme of the book or sometimes even the theme of the chapter but for vaguely.
At first the author pointed out his flaws in a
Mitchell Wakefield
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok

I've been a fan of Scott Galloway's work for some time now and was really looking forward to this book. His writing is always insightful, potent, and at times vulnerable and incredibly self-reflective. Unfortunately, with this book, I was left underwhelmed. If you're familiar with his 'No Mercy / No Malice' blog posts, this book is just a structured compilation of his blog entries rather than a completely new piece of work.

Folks unfamiliar with Scott's work, particularly newer grads, will get a
KC
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Scott Galloway has somehow found himself with enormous success despite an abrasive personality, intense personal turmoil, and past of unremarkable underperformance.

Aside from being a publisher cash grab, this book seems more like a therapy session for Scott, who unravels his personal history in some sort of attempt to distill value and structure from the meandering-yet-lucky series of choices and events that make up his life.

But as a self-help book or an anthology of wisdom? It falls flat. You
Manu
I'm familiar with Scott Galloway thanks to his various talks on YouTube. Funnily enough, I haven't read his other book - The Four- which is related to the YouTube videos. But given the logical nature of his talks, and the reasoning behind the conclusions and predictions he makes, I was curious to find out how he approached happiness as a concept. Apparently, this is also the subject of the last session of his Brand Strategy Course at the Stern School of Business, NYU.
If you're not familiar with
Brian
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This slim book is written in Galloway's typical breezy and entertaining style. Having devoured at least 50 self-books over the past few decades, it's not surprising that I had been exposed to most of Galloway's concepts. But they reinforced some important tenets about attaining success and happiness. What's more, the book served up a number of intriguing new ideas. One suggestion: when charting your career path, do NOT follow your passion. Yes, this is counter-intuitive advice and contradicts ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • The Infinite Game
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • An Economist Walks Into a Brothel: And Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk
Scott Galloway is a clinical professor of marketing at the New York University Stern School of Business, and a public speaker, author, and entrepreneur. He was named one of the world's 50 best business school professors by Poets and Quants.
“love was a willingness to take the life you’ve built for yourself and tear it up for the other person.” 4 likes
“I believe most people are especially repelled by attributes in other people that remind them of things they loathe about themselves.” 3 likes