Start by marking “Rules for Vanishing” as Want to Read:
Rules for Vanishing

Rules for Vanishing

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  7,620 ratings  ·  1,816 reviews
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes the campfire story of a missing girl, a vengeful ghost, and the girl who is determined to find her sister—at all costs.

Once a year, the path appears in the forest and Lucy Gallows beckons. Who is brave enough to find her—and who won't make it out of the woods?

It's been exactly one year since Sara's sister, Becc
Published September 24th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rules for Vanishing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Parker J The answer to what was going on in that final scene in revealed in the companion novel that just came out, Our Last Echoes. It follows another case of…moreThe answer to what was going on in that final scene in revealed in the companion novel that just came out, Our Last Echoes. It follows another case of Dr. Ashford's and reveals what was going on with Miranda and Abigail at the end of this book(less)
Claire ellison I have just finished the book myself, and I enjoy horror films and books. It is difficult for me to say if you will enjoy it, but I can give you my im…moreI have just finished the book myself, and I enjoy horror films and books. It is difficult for me to say if you will enjoy it, but I can give you my impression of it. I found it was in interesting take on the horror genre, and I would slot it psychological meets found footage. A lot will depend on why you aren't a fan of horror genre, so here are some of the bigger triggers that are in the book: characters death, abuse, murder, spiders, monsters, and darkness. Not a complete list but what I remember.

As a final thought the presentation of the book using interviews does remove the reader a bit from the action. So there are breaks between the horror aspect and the investigation. It also starts slow enough that easy to back out if it is not for you.(less)

·  7,620 ratings  ·  1,816 reviews

Start your review of Rules for Vanishing
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
VIDEO EVIDENCE

Retrieved from the cell phone of Nilufer the redhead reviewer

Recorded December 2, 02: 46 a.m.

The view is neat. A man called himself “Husband dearest” throws the book from the window and running out of the living room, screaming at the same time. Finally he is hiding himself under the kitchen table (he couldn’t fit under the table because he loves sweets and his wife’s lack of culinary skills forces him eat more junk food! Everybody thinks he’s 8 months pregnant for 13 years- you go
megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars**

A haunted wood, a mysterious road and a legend of a missing girl; those buzzwords drew me to Rules for Vanishing.

While this book did contain all of those aspects, it also contained so much more.

Honestly, I fear a good portion of it went over my head. After the conclusion, there's a lot I am still confused about.

Told through interviews, written statements and found footage, this story follows teenager, Sara, whose older sister, Becca, has been missing for the past year.

Through vario
jessica
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
its getting to that time of year where im feeling a little spooky and brave enough for some horror stories. ive seen a few reviews praising this for its creepiness, so i was looking forward to picking it up.

if theres one thing this book has going for it, its the format the story is told. ive never seen ‘the blair witch project,’ but im familiar that it follows a firsthand account style of narration. i really like how this book adopts that with a collection of text printouts, emails, video trans
Riley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sapphic-read
this was everything I wanted from a YA horror. it was such a crazy ride, i never knew what was gonna happen next
sarah
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rules For Vanishing is an unsettling, creepy and atmospheric read perfect for those crisp, frosty mornings where you just want to curl up under a cozy blanket and watch buzzed unsolved (just me? okay)

The atmosphere and writing of this book is truly where it excels. From the first page, it transported me to the eerie and ominous woods. I felt like I was playing the game alongside our characters, and was filled with a rising feeling of impending doom each page I read.

I loved the childhood ghost
jenny✨
“Something wants us here,” she whispers. Her fingertips spider up my arm, her eyes fixed on my shoulder, on nothing at all. “Something brings us. The road. Or something on it.”

GREETINGS, AND WELCOME TO ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS OF 2020!

you know when you see a little bobbing light and you’re like “huh okay interesting” so you approach and just as you get close you realize the light is attached to a translucent spiny monster-fish thingy that’s WAY bigger than anything you expected?

that’s kind
Emma☀️
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is the epitome of walking down the stairs, accidentally missing the last step and collapsing in a heap at the bottom. In other words, I’m shook.

Jokes aside. Hot damn. It’s been a while since a horror scared me this much. The atmosphere was stifling and claustrophobic, the feeling of dread never left me hours after finishing this. I took off a star because the plot was all over the place. There were so many things happening at once, it was hard to keep track. I also wasn’t a fan
Bren fall in love with the sea.
“Do you want to know where Lucy went?
She went to play the game.
You can play, too.
Find a partner.
Find a key.
Find the road.
You have two days.”
― Kate Alice Marshall, Rules for Vanishing

I am going to be doing my review today or tomorrow but before I do..if anyone understands the ending can you either PM me or explain in comments section because I am at a loss.

OK. So I read this book which looked to be terrifying. I find this to be a tough review to do.

Why? Because the writing is SO GOOD. And I can
Julie Zantopoulos
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"the sea rushes in her lover rushes in her lover is the sea she unlocks the gate he floods her salt her lips slat her thighs salt her tongue we are drowned the sea rushes in."

Sara's sister Becca has gone missing a year before this story takes place and while most people think she ran away with her boyfriend, Sara knows the truth. She found the road and answered the call of Lucy Gallows, the spirit that called to her in her dreams. The whole town knows the legend of Lucy Gallows so when the text
Whispering Stories
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Nearly one year ago Becca went missing, her parents think that she ran away with her boyfriend but her sister Sara has another solution to the mystery – She played the game and became lost in another world.

Legend has it that in 1953 little Lucy Callows (now renamed Gallows) went missing in the Briar Glen Woods. She was last seen wearing a white dress with a blue sash, her brother Billy was sent to look for her and he swore he saw his sister being led awa
Bradley
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, ya, horror
I've been developing a spot in my heart for horror that is bent to YA. It's not that difficult. Most of the horror movies I watched as a kid were all full of kids getting eaten, slashed, or otherwise completely f***ed up. You might say I always thought horror stories were MADE for kids. Just look at campfire ghost stores, man, and you'll know what I mean.

So what about this? It's high school and all the kids here are ripe for the picking. In a lot of ways, it's great for the older kids with kids
Sheena
UPDATE 1/27/21: I wish I could read this again for the first time :((

Wow. I haven't read a book that's compulsory readable in SO long. I won't lie, I had my doubts because YA horror is usually not that great but THIS. This is. It was genuinely creepy and it was SO hard to put this down when real life got in the way. I can't really write a proper review for this because I realized I am incapable of reviewing books I loved but.. this is such a good book. The format is super engaging. I can totally
Mary Books and Cookies
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
if you read one (1) YA horror this year, make it this one
blair witch project meets wizard of oz meets silent hill
IT WAS SO GOOD
creepy, spooky, haunting, emotional
pls read this book kthxbye
myo (myonna reads)
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This honestly has to be one of the most perfect ya horror stories i’ve read so far this year. Not only was it spooky but it was very diverse, which is something i look for a lot with books. It had characters of color and queer characters. One of the things i loved most about this was that it was a mocumentary with hints of fantasy.

Another thing i really enjoyed with this book was the childhood legend aspect of this book. Childhood legends were something that really intrigued me as a kid and not
Schizanthus Nerd
FIND THE ROAD. FIND THE GATES. FIND THE GIRL.
That was one seriously compulsive read! I just-one-more-chaptered my way through this book and I’m left feeling slightly panicked, knowing I almost didn’t read it at all. Too many books arrived at the library at once so some will have to be sent back unread. I know me and if they are returned unread, no matter how noble my intentions, they will disappear into the ‘I’m going to read that one day’ void.

It was only because this book was almost due and
Claude's Bookzone (semi hiatus)
Well usually this kind of format engages me but sadly this book was weird and lacked cohesion.

Normally I love novels that are made up of interviews, journal entries, police reports etc but this just didn't hold my interest. The reason was that none of it really flowed together. It was like the writer had thought of some creepy little scenes and stuck them together and called it a novel. So yes, there were some creepy parts but overall the story was disjointed. I can't explain it anymore than tha
destiny ♡ howling libraries
So be careful what roads you take, and be careful who you follow down them.

I've been hearing friends rave about Rules for Vanishing for years, and all I can say is that I'm sorry it took me this long to read it, because WOW, this was incredible! It was honestly one of the creepiest and best YA horror novels I've ever read, and it had some of the best "found footage" vibes I've ever seen in a book.

The mixture of Sara's standard narrative with the bits of interviews and other media types were
kate
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5* This was SO GREAT. But also, that ending?! I WANT ANSWERS.

This is the first book in a long time that’s given me that ‘just one more chapter’ feeling, making it entirely impossible to put down. I haven’t read anything this eerie, or genuinely creepy in far too long and I’m grateful to it for reminding me how much I love horror/thrillers!

The formatting, with its interview and video transcripts etc. superbly elevated the plot, pulling me in with ten more questions for each one they answered,
Monica (crazy_4_books)
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
(read for #thistheseasonthon for the challenge: read a book you received as a gift)
"JUST LIKE A SPINNING WHEEL THAT GOES ROUND AND ROUND AND YOU END UP WITH A SPLITTING HEADACHE, BUT IT IS FUCKING GREAT!!"
Does this headline make any sense at all? Don't know. Remember the movie "Memento"? Well, I feel as dizzy as I did after watching that! This book is great. Since it's been marketed as YA (though I don't think it's very YA-ish), it's the best one I've read this year along with "Neverworld
TL
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story for the most part and very spooky... the ending was underwhelming in some respects.
I don't mind an open-ended conclusion sometimes and I know you can't always have the answers but... felt a little cheated with this one.

The ending isn't a bad one but with everything else before it *shrugs*

(view spoiler)

When I did pick it up, I was laser focused. At
Renee Godding
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
2/5 stars

I don’t even know at this point… I picked this YA-horror novel up in an attempt to lift my spirits and battle my looming readingslump, but unfortunately it did not have the desired effect. I couldn’t for the life of me get into the story.
The short version of what I liked and disliked about this story:

Like:
- The format: this reads like a found-footage movie. It has been compared to “The Blair Witch in bookform”, and I can honestly see that.
- In the first 100 pages, the novel does a
Theresa
This started off really strong but then kind of lost me a bit as it continued.

In the beginning, it's very mysterious and suspenseful and truly kept me on the edge of my seat. There were a few instances were weird things happened that made you question if what you were actually reading was real or not or if you'd missed a crucial plot element because things just kind of stopped making sense. Don't worry though, all is revealed in the end.

Ultimately I think this is a book I'd have preferred as an
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror

Given I don’t actually read that many horror books, I don’t think my weak heart could take it on a regular basis, Rules for Vanishing definitely satisfied when it came to the scary department! If you’re looking for a super atmospheric, creepy read for Halloween, definitely pick this one up – you won’t be disappointed. But don’t say I didn’t warn you when I say read this during daylight hours….

Full review posted on Happy Indulgence Books.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Briar Glen is synonymous with the the name Lucy Gallows, a young woman that wandered into the forest and never returned. Her last known whereabouts was on a road to nowhere, being lead by an unknown male assailant. Throughout the years the fable may have interchanged but the instructions remain the same, find a partner, find a key, find the road.

On the eve of the anniversary of Lucy Gallow's disappearance, Sara Donoghue's adoptive sister Rebecca was lured into the fated fable, whispered conversa
Cassie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so creepy and haunting, holy fuck.

My god, what the hell did I just read? I would not want to be stuck in this world. This world is full of nightmares. I got so many goosebumps while reading this story, I kid you not. Some of the things described in here are enough to make my skin crawl. It was truly horrifying.

There were quite a few characters to keep up with, but that didn’t really bother me. I was never bored once during this entire book. I also really love the format that it’s
Samar
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
well this was freaking spectacular. i don't even know what this was but it was so much more than i expected??? SO much cosmic horror? supernatural shit? i don't even usually like alice in wonderland type narratives where characters go on a journey and come up against crazy weird shit they can't explain but everything here was so deliciously creepy that i absolutely loved it. there were some lines here that slithered under my skin and made a permanent nest. the mixed media format made everything ...more
greta
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
this book was alright. slightly better than typical thrillers, but not far off from still being typical lol.
i've read quite a bit amount of mystery thrillers & it seems to me that most of them are SO alike.
reading this from the start to the middle, i didn't feel any connection to the story, nor its characters. it was simple – a missing sister, the other one trying to find her, woods and an ancient legend about the girl haunting those woods. kinda typical lol, and so typical i felt.
towards the en
Brithanie Faith
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

As soon as I saw that Rules For Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall was written in the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project I requested it without a second thought, and thank god I did, because it is without a doubt one of the best books that I've read so far this summer!

Once a year, a mysterious path appears in the forest and Lucy Gallows beckons. Who is brave enough to try to find her, and who won't make

• Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Chasing the Shadows (Sentinels of the Galaxy, #2)
  • By Any Means Necessary
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Who Put This Song On?
  • Anyone
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • City of Beasts
  • Permanent Record
  • Nottingham
  • Tiger Queen
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
  • I Am Change
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
  • The Ghost Collector
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Remembrance
See top shelves…
Kate Alice Marshall is the author of young adult and middle grade novels, including I AM STILL ALIVE, RULES FOR VANISHING, and THIRTEENS.

She lives outside of Seattle with her husband, two dogs named Vonnegut and Octavia, and two kids. They all conspire to keep her on her toes.