Start by marking “Rules For Vanishing” as Want to Read:

Rules For Vanishing

In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes the campfire story of a missing girl, a vengeful ghost, and the girl who is determined to find her sister--at all costs.

Once a year, the path appears in the forest and Lucy Gallows beckons. Who is brave enough to find her--and who won't make it out of the woods?

It's been exactly one year since Sara's sister, Be
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Sep 24, 2019
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of RULES FOR VANISHING by Kate Alice Marshall!

(No PO boxes please)

Once a year, a road appears in the forest. And

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 5263 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 24 - Sep 23, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Julie Zantopoulos
    Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    "the sea rushes in her lover rushes in her lover is the sea she unlocks the gate he floods her salt her lips slat her thighs salt her tongue we are drowned the sea rushes in."

Sara's sister Becca has gone missing a year before this story takes place and while most people think she ran away with her boyfriend, Sara knows the truth. She found the road and answered the call of Lucy Gallows, the spirit that called to her in her dreams. The whole town knows the legend of Lucy Gallows so when the text
    ✨Brithanie Faith✨
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

As soon as I saw that Rules For Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall was written in the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project I requested it without a second thought, and thank god I did, because it is without a doubt one of the best books that I've read so far this summer!

Once a year, a mysterious path appears in the forest and Lucy Gallows beckons. Who is brave enough to try to find her, and who won't make
    Mary
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    if you read one (1) YA horror this year, make it this one
    blair witch project meets wizard of oz meets silent hill
    IT WAS SO GOOD
    creepy, spooky, haunting, emotional
    pls read this book kthxbye
    Elvina Zafril
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Rules for Vanishing is incredibly amazing. This book has everything I need. Mystery, spooky, ghosts, friendship and more. I’ve never read horror that has everything in one book. I was so lucky that I received this book from Pansing.

The powerful narrator kept me going. I adored how the narrator tells this story. I adored the writing style, and the unique story telling which used interviews to deliver the story. The setting is amazing. They were to many characters that I felt a bit difficult to k
    Natasha
    Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

If you are looking for a YA mystery/horror read, this book is the one.
    The synopsis does not do justice of how amazing this book is!

I thought I won't be creep out but I actually was creep out with the book.
    I literally flew through the book.
    It is a balance between a narration of the past and the present.
    I think that what keep the mystery very exciting.
    I had so much theories in my head and I just needed to know what wa
    andrea caro
    What a weird, wild ride. RTC.
    Nancy
    Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
    3.5 Stars
    This young adult horror novel was a quick and easy read. Written as a collection of documents, this book successfully created the experience of reading a found footage movie. Between the regular chapters, the author included transcripts of messages as well as descriptions of videos and pictures retrieved from the teenagers’ phones. Unlike other multimedia books, this one did not feel gimmicky or over the top.

This book definitely felt targeted to a young audience. As someone who predomin
    Jenny
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
    “𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤. 𝐎𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐨𝐰𝐧."

This book got a unique plot and setting. Spooky and very disturbing scenarios. It literally kept me up at some nights because every chapter will definitely get you hooked. Sara is a great narrator. Her love for her sister is very admirable.

The only downfall of this book is the constant popping of characters in the story. It was really confusing. Although there is a footnotes to keep you on tr
    Angela Staudt
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    BookishFirst gave me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Rules for Vanishing was such a terrifying read, I can’t tell you how many times I had goosebumps. If you are into ghosts, mystery, horror, and spooky vibes, then this is the book I choose for you! This book was told in multiple views, kind of like the Blair Witch Trials. I honestly can’t even collect my thoughts to write a proper review. This was an incredible read, it takes a lot of horror and a high level of creepiness to make me say
    Sam Duffy
    Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    I heard this marketed as magical realism, and thought the cover was pretty, so I wanted to give it a try. But this was NOT magical realism, in my opinion, was much closer to to fantasy/paranormal horror. I thought it was honestly quite scary and a LOT happened. I’m glad I read it during the day. I thought it dragged for a bit too long, and in the end I’m not entirely sure what happened. Overall, it was fine. Just not really my kind of book.
    Steven
    Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was really lucky to win this super creepy book through the Goodreads Giveaway! Parts of this book made me think of Clive Barker and his twisted, spooky worlds, and then there were moments that made me think of Silent Hill. I really had no idea where this story was going and was really surprised by the ending. I enjoyed the set up of the story through different interviews, video footage, and emails between the characters. I really hope, at some point, this gets adapted for film.
    legenbooksdary
    Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book is amazing, dark and it definitely has the kind of vibe that will make you have goosebumps. If you're brave enough to play the game, go through the seven gates and stumble upon challenges and fall downs, you need to read this story.

Throughout my entire experience of reading Rules Of Vanishing, I was constantly intrigued and looking forward to finding out what might happen next which made the result that I couldn't simply put this book down. Its so full of twists and turns lurking arou
    Stacy Fetters
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    "Have you guys ever watched, like, a single horror movie? We get on that road and about thirty seconds from now some hook-handed motherf***er is wearing our guts like a scarf."

If you pick up one YA horror novel this year, make it this one. You won’t be able to put it down.

It’s frightening and will make you sleep with the lights on for quite awhile. You won’t be disappointed! You will have definite trust issues.
    Mandy
    Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Viking Books via a Bookish First giveway. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

Despite the so so rating, this is one of the best horror stories I’ve ever read. I devoured this book entirely like the creepy monster things in it. It was creepy, spooky, and well written to give thrills, chills, and ews -
    Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
    Actual rating 3.5 stars

Sara’s sister Becca is obsessed with Lucy Gallows, an urban legend about a young girl who disappeared on a mysterious road, never to be seen again.

Thus, when Becca goes missing, Sara knows instinctively that Becca has gone in search of Lucy.

Exactly one year after Becca’s disappearance, every student in Sara’s school receives an anonymous text message challenging them to seek out Lucy and the vanishing road that she haunts. So, Sara and a group of sceptical friends set ou
    Patty (IheartYA)
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: first-reads
    Rules for Vanishing is a very unique YA horror, mystery, thriller mash-up that sucked me in with a creative and informative introduction. I was enchanted at first but the creepy story quickly became confusing. The variety of characters was manageable, but the disjointed timeline was too complicated deducted a star from my rating. I enjoyed the flowing and atmospheric writing style but the book felt too long, bogged down with details. If the pace and rhythm of the first 40 pages stayed consistent ...more
    Stacey-Lea
    Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Rules for Vanishing follows an unreliable narrator, Sara, on her mission to find out what happened to her sister, Becca, who exactly one year ago went missing. Presumed to have run off with a guy she was seeing, however Sara knows her sister, and she’s convinced she disappeared following clues on the town’s local legend, a mysterious path that appears once year on the anniversary of Lucy Gallows disappearance.

A school wide text has been sent out and thus begins our protagonist’s journey in findi
    Bridie (Bridie's Book Abyss)
    Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Extremely addictive and very freaky. Blair witch meets The Wizard of Oz. Lots of twists, turns and mysteries to uncover. Perfect for fans of dark fantasy and who don’t mind a few questions being left unanswered.
    Gabriela Pop
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I knew right about nothing about this book before diving right in, nor did I have any expectations from it, so I was set for the wildest ride of a reading experience and it ended up being one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in a long time. YA horror sparked from sisterhood is something that did fascinate me while reading the blurb, but I didn't know just how much I would end up loving this.
    "Rules for vanishing" achieved what any good novel, especially horror should strive out to do - it
    Meghan
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I read my ARC that I received from Bookishfirst in two days. I couldn’t put it down. I snuck it in at work, in the car before driving from work to daycare, into dinner, and late into the night. It was so haunting and alluring. Once I started I couldn’t put it down. The world building that Kate Alice Marshall creates is spellbinding. It gives me "The Hazel Wood" vibes (By Melissa Albert) and I’m here for it.

Urban legend has it that a road can be found in the woods and it calls to some people.
    Susan Beamon
    Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book is compared with a movie, The Blair Project, that was a mocumentary ghost horror story. While I never bothered to watch the movie, I am very aware of the technique used. The film was disjointed, things happened out of order and with little to do with a coherent plot, the story had no real ending. Unfortunately, this book does have a lot in common with that film and not in a good way.
    We have a ghost story. There is this road that only shows up for a short time and only to certain people
    Allie
    Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    THIS WAS A BOOK THAT I THOUGHT WAS ONE THING AND WAS ANOTHER BUT I LOVED IT AND IT FELT SO RIGHT!

This book has description set up to have the characters going through this whole mission to find her sister. NOW THAT’S WHAT IT IS ABOUT BUT THERE IS SO MUCH MORE. The book goes into this whole horror element that you would only get in horror movies.

There is a series of characters that we begin with but there is really only a few main character. Sara is our main, main character who is trying to find
    Cassy Klisch
    Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book holy CRAP. I don't know if I'm just in this huge reading slump lately after reading story after story that feels so unoriginal to me or what but I have not had a book hangover in a v v very long time yet here I am super hungover from RULES FOR VANISHING.

I had the privilege of reading an arc of this story and I am not in the least bit disappointed in any way shape or form. This story included so many things I love: unconventional story telling method (ie through evidence, testimonies, i
    Stephenee
    Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was an overall good read, but there were a few things about it that left the reader wanting more. The plot was similar to a book that I have previously read (The Woods) and I could interchange the plot between the two and at times it felt like I was reading the same book.

The characters were unique to this story, however, and there were parts of the plot that the reader really enjoyed. Sara is looking for her sister, Becca, who has been missing for a year. They have a group of friends that w
    Eleanor
    4.5, I think; this is an excellent instance of Internet-creepypasta-type horror, including an urban legend about a girl who disappeared, mysterious documents about "the road", "the game" and "rules" that must be followed, and a fragmented, documentary-style structure. (I was forcefully reminded in the early pages of this exceptional Reddit thread.) There's also a very impressive subtlety to the representation of deafness, bisexuality, and stammering; I often struggle with YA where the characters ...more
    Miranda
    Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    It’s spoopy reading time! So this was a bit of a strange read for me, NOT the fact it’s a spooky read but more for it being a bounce between investigation recorded video scenes, present time interrogation room chapters, and POV switches throughout out. All the switches worked very well for creating the balance of the story and helping it unravel the mystery that lies beneath the layers.
    I would a hundred percent recommend this to any and everyone age wise from teens to an adult (looking for a lig
    Nadesly || nadysbookblog
    Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites, arc

Rules for Vanishing is, hands down, my favorite book this year. There I said it. This story was just so darn spooktacularly fantastic!

Once a year a mysteriously creepy road appears in the forests of Briar Glen, MA and the ghost of Lucy Gallows beckons. Last year Sara’s sister Becca decided to follow the road and find Lucy and she’s been gone ever since.

After a mysterious text message goes out to the high schoolers of Briar Glen, Sara and her ragtag team of friends decide to find the road and
    Kate
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I read a sneak peek of this book and I was immediately drawn into it. The cover is spooky and makes you want to follow that road. The author does the same early on with an intriguing story line and interesting characters. I want to search these pages for answers just like the kids are searching for the road. I love the style of the writing too, some first person narrative mixed with interview style transcripts. It's a great concept and I'm eager to read the rest!!
    Gemma F
    Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Full review: https://wp.me/p6917X-1bp
    This book was so haunting, creepy and beautifully written. I need some time to collect my thoughts of this strange and terrifying ghostly adventure.

Thank you to Pansing for sending me a finished copy of Rules For Vanishing in exchange for an honest review!
    « previous 1 3 4 next »