Start by marking “The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter” as Want to Read:

The legendary FBI criminal profiler, number-one New York Times bestselling author, and inspiration for the hit Netflix show Mindhunter delves deep into the lives and crimes of four of the most disturbing and complex predatory killers, offering never-before-revealed details about his profiling process, and divulging the strategies used to crack some of America’s most challe ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged; 11 hours, 7 minutes
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about The Killer Across the Table, please sign up.
Faith Bradshaw 4 main cases are discussed with a few extra sprinkled in. The main discussions revolve around Joseph McGowan, Joseph Kondro, Donald Harvey, and Todd K…more4 main cases are discussed with a few extra sprinkled in. The main discussions revolve around Joseph McGowan, Joseph Kondro, Donald Harvey, and Todd Kohlhepp.(less)

Start your review of The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
Sumit RK
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In The Killer Across the Table :Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI’s Original Mindhunter , Mr. Douglas and co-author Mark Olshaker take a close look at four predatory killers while detailing the profiling process and strategies used to unlock the minds f some of the country’s most notorious killers. I had not read (or watched) Mindhunter before this book, so it was an entirely new experience for me.

The FBI’s former special agent and master of criminal profiling,
JanB
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The real-life FBI profiler who inspired the TV program, Mindhunter, reveals his secrets within these pages. He details some of his most high-profile cases and his interviews with the criminals. He delves deep into their crimes and their minds.

I’m a fan of true crime and of all things psychological. This was a disturbing look into some truly diabolical minds. Their utter lack of humanity and empathy is the stuff of nightmares. Are psychopathic killers born or are they made? And if made, what ex
Marialyce
Every so often a book sends shivers down one’s spine, makes one check the locks of the doors and windows of the house, and hunker down to listen to a book that is both harrowing and frightening all in the knowledge that this was all true. Needless to say, the saying life is stranger than fiction is ever so true and in the harrowing story of serial killers, one finds that the strange is also the horrifying.

Imagine the most frightening book you have ever read? It made you scared, creeping you out
Emma
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Douglas is undoubtedly a fascinating man. Right at the forefront of criminal profiling, he's sat across the interview table from some of the most infamous and prolific serial killers of our time. Yet this is a light offering, repetitive and covering ground well trodden. The cases are, of course, horrific, especially the first: the rape and murder of 7 year old Joan D'Alessandro. The problem is that he can't let those bigger fish go, instead their stories seep into this book at every possibl ...more
Carole
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Killer Across the Table not only takes you into the minds of serial killers but also into the minds of the profilers who examine and interview these murderers. John Edward Douglas has been with the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit for twenty-five years, making him a leading authority in his field. Researching what makes a killer tick is not for the faint of heart. Edward Douglas reveals the life and previous crimes of four of his cases, bringing the reader along to help understand what leads a ...more
Schizanthus Nerd
Ecstatic update: I just ordered a signed copy of this book! I’m going to own a signed copy of a John Douglas book! Need morning to come so it’s more socially acceptable to jump up and down with glee!
description

Have you ever considered who you’d invite to your fantasy Ultimate Dinner Party? John Douglas is one of my top five fantasy guests; although, introvert that I am, I’d much prefer a one on one conversation with him.

My main takeaway from my psychology degree was my obsession with criminal profilin
PorshaJo
FBI profiler John E. Douglas's latest true crime book, diving into the minds of various serial killers. He was the inspiration for the hit Netflix show Mindhunter, which I didn't see. I don't watch much tv. But he was also the inspiration for one of the characters, Jack Crawford, in Silence of the Lambs, which I did see. Many times.

I've been wanting to read more non-fiction and had this one on hold for ages from my library. I ordered up the audio and started it as soon as it came in. It's not a
Michelle
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
“To understand an artist you have to view his art. Likewise with a predator to understand him you have to understand his art, because that’s what it is to him.”

This book is brought to you by the writers of the thriller series “Mindhunter” on Netflix where FBI agents interview serial killers and try to get into the brain of the villain.( It’s based off of the book as well.)

“The Killer Across The Table” is in that same vein...It’s such an intense and truly frightening insight into the life of an F
Sara
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Killer Across The Table is the latest book by John Douglas, pioneer in behavioural sciences at the FBI, and the inspiration behind the character of Holden Ford on Netflix’s Mindhunter. In this latest book he examines four different murderers, ranging in victims and signature, as he delves into their mind and discusses the why, what and how of their crimes.

Douglas always has an interesting way at examining these kinds of crimin
Erin Clemence
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5, 10, 12 brilliant stars!

THIS NOVEL IS IT!!! I have found my perfect book soulmate!

“The Killer Across the Table” by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker is like a real-life Criminal Minds (my favourite TV show by the way). In this novel, former FBI criminal profiler John Douglas discusses four of his most prolific cases, and the criminal minds behind them. He uses his knowledge, background and FBI experience to try and understand why the criminals do what they do, what triggered their violent act
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Killer: Mild-mannered, sunny disposition
Main Psycho: Hiding in plain sight
Plot Mindhunter-ness: Hunting all the minds!

Hands down, if you are a true crime nerd you want to read this book. It is a heavy fucking tome of information on the dark and depraved. It is written by the Godfather of criminal profiling and it focuses on cases that you’ve likely never heard of before unless you happen to be local to where the crimes happened.

We are not talking about circling the
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
4.0 Stars
This was a gripping piece of true crime. Normally I struggle with non fiction because I often find it dry or too slow paced, but this one held my attention quite well. Readers should be aware that the crimes described in this book were very disturbing and often gruesome. I appreciated the attention on the victims. The best aspect of the book was the exploration of criminology as the authors discussed the psychology profiles of these serial killers.
Bill Kerwin

Together with longtime collaborator Mark Olshaker, John “The Original Mindhunter” Douglas is at it again, interviewing the iciest of killers to find out what makes their cold hearts tick. Since he is retired from his old home at the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, John—now an independent contractor—takes his four psycho-killer interviews wherever he can find them: one commissioned by the New Jersey State Parole Board, two for a prospective MSNBC pilot, and one for a six-part ID Network documentar
Lou
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By all intents and purposes, John E. Douglas is an interesting character with a fascination for interesting characters. He was one of the FBI's first criminal profilers and a celebrated serial killer "whisperer" for the duration of his career. In this book, he delves into criminal psychopathy and attempts to answer questions such as: are killers born or made but also investigates the reasoning for their offences and how the offender themselves tries to justify their actions. Douglas’s great insi ...more
Ellen Gail
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fucking fantastic. 100% recommend if you like true crime.
Fiona
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
John E. Douglas, one of the original profilers and partial inspiration for a whole slew more fictional detectives, has written another insightful and fascinating book.

Just to quickly get the negatives out of the way - you'll see it in other reviews of this book and his others, but Mr Douglas definitely doesn't have any confidence issues. He name drops chronically, and couldn't stick to a point if you paid him. Wait..

But that aside, the reason this author has names to drop and segues to slide int
Rachelle
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"How could somebody do this to another human being?"

That's the underlying question every murderino really wants to know. Its what drives us to read true crime, watch documentaries and listen to podcasts. John Douglas and Mark Olshaker pull back the curtain and dive into the profiling and psychopathy of a handful of murderers and serial killers. Giving us the sad logic behind why some of these violet offenders do what they do.
Kelli
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I grew up in the years of Adam Walsh, rumors of white vans, missing children pictures on the back of the milk carton, and a pervasive fear of abduction and serial killers that felt heavy in the air around us all. We all watched Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted because that made it seem a little less real. I wasn't even sure that I could listen to this book, yet I found it to be absolutely fascinating and almost impossible to put down. Even so, it is very scary and deeply disturbing. ...more
✨    jamieson   ✨
I think parts of this book did get bogged down in its structure (introduce killer, explain their casefile, plus random name-drops of other killers with similar backstories that disrupted the flow) but besides that, it was really .. not ENJOYABLE to read, the first two killers especially made me feel sick but interesting? If you like Mindhunter or even just true crime / criminal profiling it's worth reading.

Paul
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Horrifying, yet fascinating on so many levels. I don't think I will read a better book this year. ...more
Kristin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did you know John Douglas was the inspiration for Netflix's Mindhunter? He's certainly not going to let you forget it.

Although this billed as a deep dive into the psyches of four killers Douglas has studied, Douglas constantly going off topic to recap stuff from Mindhunter. It jumps from the case at hand to ones from his past from one paragraph to the next, and it's easy to confuse where the investigation is or which criminal he's referring to. Two of the four murderers profiled are child kille
Jiny S
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Manipulation, domination, and control.. the hallmarks of serial predatory killers.

In this shocking reveal of the investigation of a FBI criminal profiler, we get a glimpse of the inner workings of some of the most dangerous and psychotic criminals in history that would inspire crime stories in books and on the big screen. When it comes to acts of heinous crimes of the utmost degree, there are many assumptions out there. Some of them are correct, and others couldn’t be more off the mark.

There are
Mariah Roze
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The legendary FBI criminal profiler, number-one New York Times bestselling author, and inspiration for the hit Netflix show Mindhunter delves deep into the lives and crimes of four of the most disturbing and complex predatory killers, offering never-before-revealed details about his profiling process, and divulging the strategies used to crack some of America’s most challenging cases.
The FBI’s pioneer of criminal profiling, former special agent John Douglas, has studied and interviewed many of
danielle
Great book for getting inside the mind of these killers. I appreciate the details.

Since I did the audiobook version, I especially loved that Johnathan Groff was the narrator (he plays Holden in the netflix show Mindhunter) and that he did an interview with John Douglas at the end of the book.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
A wonderful, insightful audiobook narrated by Jonathan Groff himself. I could listen to him narrate audiobooks until the end of time. He really brought the story to life and made me feel like I was listening to MINDHUNTER. While I was only really invested in the first two cases, this was still very informative and interesting to see John Douglas’ thoughts about certain cases he’s dealt with.
Regina
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give the people what they want. That's what I kept thinking while listening to this audiobook.

And what the people want is more John E. Douglas. The notorious criminal profiler's persona and experiences have been wrung out so often you have to wonder if there's any more juice to squeeze. His latest book, The Killer Across the Table, answers that with a yes... and also a bit of a no.

TKATT is structured around four lesser-known killers and Douglas's post-FBI interview sessions with them. Many of
Jennah
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a hard book to read. A creepy and heartbreaking but interesting look into the mind of a serial killer. It was fascinating to read about John Douglas’s interrogation methods and studies and the psychology behind them.

Douglas details 4 very different cases and criminals that he’s analyzed during his career and he describes how each individual helped him get insight into how psychopaths and predators think and behave.
Madeline
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Narrator, Engaging stories!

I heard that Mind Hunter is on Netflix. I will be watching that next.
Linda Quinn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For fans of true crime or the Mindhunter series on Netflix, The Killer Across the Table continues John Douglas's tales of sitting conversationally with convicted serial killers. ...more
Natasha Niezgoda
Okay... this is heavy. So be warned.

The Killer Across The Table is written by John Douglas (Mindhunter dude) and narrated by none-other than Mindhunter actor Jonathan Groff! Which is rad. But it covers cases that need more attention (unlike the Mason's and Bundy's of the world). And horrifically, most of the cases discussed in this book revolve around child crimes. (EEEK).

It's extremely well presented, but the tragedy is grave. And the sinister nature of these cases isn't for the faint of heart

• American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI
  • The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Shocking Inside Story
  • Narsistit Vankilassa: Oikeuspsykologin kertomuksia persoonallisuushäiriöistä
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer - America's Deadliest Serial Murderer
  • Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • Pako, jonka piti olla mahdoton : Kainalosauvojen varassa vapauteen Pohjois-Koreasta
  • The I-5 Killer
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • Paluu helvetistä – Kimmo Harjulan uskomaton tarina
  • Häkkilinnut Tositarinoita naisvankilasta
  • The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy
  • A Serial Killer's Daughter: My Story of Faith, Love, and Overcoming
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
John Edward Douglas is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent, one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author. He also wrote four horror novels in the mid 1990s. -Wikipedia

During his twenty-five year career with the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, a name he later changed to The Investigative Science Unit (Douglas & Olshaker, 1995), John Douglas becam