Start by marking “Voyage of the Dogs” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Dogs

Voyage of the Dogs

Dogs in space! Share this book with middle graders who enjoy stories about dogs, space adventures, or action adventure stories—or all three!

Lopside is a Barkonaut, a specially trained dog who assists human astronauts on missions in space. He and the crew aboard the spaceship Laika are en route to set up an outpost on a distant planet.

When the mission takes a disastrous turspaceship
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperCollins (first published September 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Dogs

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/09/30/...

Middle Grade fiction isn’t an age category I typically go for, but I’m a big fan of Greg Van Eekhout and when I saw the premise of Voyage of the Dogs I just couldn’t resist. This book was just too darn cute!

Billed as The Incredible Journey set in space, the story follows a team of four scrappy and adorable canine Barkonauts as they travel aboard the colonization ship Laika as companions and specially trained helpers to the human crew. Thanks
Lis Carey
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, f-sf, dogs
I'll just say this up front, because I'm one of the people for whom this is important: No dogs die in this book. We do get the story of Laika*, told by one of the dogs to the others so that, at a critical point, they can make an informed choice, but Greg Van Eekhout kills none of his fictional dogs in the course of this story.

Lopside, Bug, Daisy, and their pack leader, Golden retriever Champion, are Barkonauts, dogs specially trained and equipped to be part of the crew of Laika, the
Eliza Rapsodia
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Niños y amantes de los perros y el espacio
Recommended to Eliza by: Nadie
Shelves: sci-fi, children
ARC provided by Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review

REVIEW IN ENGLISH

This is was a fun and sometimes deep and emotional adventure.

Lopside is a barkonaut -a dog that has been trained to help and resolve problems on missions in space. He is part of a crew in the spaceship Laika that is going to a distant outpost. But something really bad happen and Lopside and his barkonaut friends: Daisy, Bug and the leader Champion should try to resolve the damage on the ship and survive at the same time.REVIEW
Jim
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best word I can come up with to describe this one is sweet. These are four Very Good Dogs, doing whatever they can to complete their mission. They care about each other, just like they cared about their humans. I'm not sure exactly how van Eekhout did it, but he makes you want to reach into the book and give them all belly scritches and reassure them that yes, they're good dogs.

There are plenty of dangers - the ship is in bad shape, and the dogs don't know what happened to the hu
Shae McDaniel
Literally Homeward Bound meets Gravity. So cute. But also wow, stressful. Kids are going to love it.
Danielle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"A sad story could be like a gentle scritch behind the ears. It told him that he was not alone."

So so so enjoyed this book.
Stephanie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction
This is a fabulous concept for an MG adventure novel – dogs in space! Companion-dogs forced to rescue themselves when their humans go missing! – and it’s carried off SO well.

I actually know Greg, so I already knew that he had dogs of his own, but even if I hadn’t known him beforehand, I would have been certain that he’s a dog-owner just by how fantastically he writes from a dog’s point of view. It is so much fun to watch the barkonauts’ augmented intelligence mix with their laugh-out
Donna
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Lopside, Champion, Bug, and Daisy are the Barkonauts and they will finish their mission.

This story was so amazingly adorable I wanted to hold up the book and wave it around in a room full of book enthusiasts and say "YOU MUST READ THIS!" Kids will love it, but so will adults who can still deal with a reasonable amount of cuteness. Each of the dogs has its own distinct personality. I adored Daisy, the Great Dane puppy who bounds all over the place, always with her squeaky ball, but en
Charlotte
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, rc18
If you love dogs and love desperate voyages of a handful of survivors on board a crippled spacecraft who never give up hope but keep on doing their best because they are Good Dogs gosh darn it...and even though I don't care that much for dogs in general I am a sucker for any sort of character who keeps doing all they can for pack and for mission because the alternative, giving up, is not conceivable. These are Good Dogs indeed, and their good dogness made me teary quite a few times.

Ms. B
Meet Lopside, a mutt with a big heart, Champion the golden retriever, Bug the corgi, and Daisy, the Great Dane puppy! Their dogs in space, but can these barkonauts survive without the astronauts, their human companions?
With relatively short chapters, fans of dog stories or those looking for a read aloud about space will like this one.
Jake
Really freaking cute and perfect for kids wanting to try a mild sci-fi book. Also, anything with Barkonauts will be easy to hand to nervous readers.

This was recommended to me by a 3rd grade girl and her dad who both read and loved it. So glad I listened.
Mary Lowd
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect book.

Addendum a few hours later: I miss reading this book... It was totally absorbing, and if I'd read it when I was twelve, it would have unquestionably been my favorite book.
Hobart
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Of course, the humans couldn't go alone. There had to be dogs. Because wherever humans went dogs came along. Like rats, only more helpful. Dogs would herd livestock. Dogs would keep watch against the unknown. And, more importantly, dogs would keep the human crew company during the long spaceflight, and on their new home, far away from Earth.

But first they had to get there.

I guess this is technically a "Middle Grade" book -- but forget about that. Calup)
This
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

The Laika is on mission Stepping Stone, traveling outside the solar system to set up a new planet. In addition to the human crew, animals, and plants, there are some very loyal dogs, because where there are humans, there HAVE to be dogs! Since the journey is so long, everyone goes into hibernation including our hero, Lopside, Great Dane Daisy, natural leader and captain's assistant Champion, and talented engineer Bug. Lopside is a bit apprehensive
J.A.Birch
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where there are humans there are dogs, also where there are humans there are rats, or so Lopside has been led to believe but on the Spacecraft Laika he hasn't seen a single rodent.

The Spacecraft Laika is traveling to a new world to start a human colony; it holds many crew, some farm animals in deep sleep, a variety of eggs, and five dogs. Lopside, Champion, Daisy, and Bug are important members of the crew, they are the Barkonauts.

Dad suggested I read this book knowing that I have a
Jim
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, space
Billie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to get over bad or incomplete science in books for middle graders. I mean, this was a good, solid space adventure starring dogs for goodness' sake and all I'm worrying about is who tested all the flora and fauna on Stepping Stone to ensure they were safe to eat. Like, seriously, the stuff on Stepping Stone was maybe 10% of the book and I'm letting it ruin my enjoyment of the whole book. Suspension of disbelief, woman. Suspension. Of. Disbelief.

Sigh. My problem, not the book's.
Wendy Wagner
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book might be for kids, but it doesn't flinch from discussing humanity's sometimes selfish relationship with dogs. It also works in a lot of the science behind life on a spaceship without ever being boring or sounding like it's talking down to its readers. This is an exciting adventure with believable dog heroes! I loved it.
Janice
This is a lovely little book about a group of Very Good Dogs. On a spaceship.

They got left behind by the humans on the ship, but they're determined to complete their mission.

This is a middle-grade book, but if you need a pick-me-up or a unicorn chaser in these dark times, read (or listen) to this book. You won't regret it.
Kim Howard
Cute story for fans of books about dogs and outer space!
Margaret Boling
12/19/2018 ~ Oh, the power of stories. Lopside, a Barkonaut, listens and re-listens to audio recordings from the Great Book of Dogs on his lost human's tablet, because listening gives him and his packmates the strength to continue their mission. Story is powerful; story helps each of us discover who we are through windows to others' experiences and mirrors of our own experiences.

This book will resonate with sci-fi fans, lovers of dogs, and all who revel in fast-paced action books with sa
Angie Boyter
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-possibles
4+, verging on 5. A charming SF book for young people of all ages! Such a wonderful change from dystopic SF.
Who could resist a book about a spaceship full of dogs, abandoned by the human crew and determined to save themselves and their ship? It was an outrageously cute idea, but could it succeed without being downright silly? The answer is a resounding Yes, and Voyage of the Dogs delivers a delightful read for both young people and adults.
The spaceship Laika carries a small group of
Ramsey Hootman
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review courtesy of my eight-year-old:
I loved it! This book is a mix of funny, adventure, and sadness. There were lots of really sad parts. I liked how there were tons of details and how the dogs were super smart. I'm pretty sure the most funny part was where the dog burped a song. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs and space.

From me:
Kiddo was instantly grabbed by the charming cover and the blurb riffing on Star Trek (to boldly go where no dog has been before) and,
Mariana Calderon
Voyage of the Dog(go)s is just so delightful and imaginative. Everything from the personalities of the pups to the descriptions of just how they managed to use tools and repair spaceship parts had me suspending all disbelief and just enjoying the ride!
Diana
I added this book to my "not for the faint of heart" shelf not for gore or violence, but for Feels.

Yes indeed, I am offering a trigger warning for those of you with All The Feels. I honestly wanted to burst into tears more than once. My six-year-old actually did burst into tears at least twice. We stayed up too late reading the last eighty pages because stopping forty pages from the end would have honestly left it on such a depressing note, I'm not sure I would have slept comfortably knowing my
Simone Henderson
Okay, so I received an advance readers edition of this book for free and am under no obligation so you will hear my unadulterated opinion on it. What interested me the most about reading it is found on the cover, "To boldly go where no dog has gone before." Yup, I'm a Star Trek fan although I do not typically read young adult or kids literature.

This book is written primarily for grades 3-7 (ages 8-12) so it's a kids/young adult book. I'm not certain if it's supposed to be science fic
Thistle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if I completely love a book, there's usually at least some small things I don't like about it. That's not the case for this book. I loved every single thing about this story, other than how short it was. But, since it's a middle grade book, that's expected and can't be counted as a flaw.

Set in the future, humans have the ability to genetech dogs to be much smarter. However, the really, really good thing about this book was that even though they could "talk" (not exactly), they w
Rainflight
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare Rhoden
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful space adventure that has many of the ingredients to ensure success. The cast of Barkonauts is varied in personality and physical attributes, but they all retain the most essential quality that dogs can offer - undying loyalty, selflessness, and love. We may be in the 22nd century, where both humans and dogs have been fitted with modifications to improve their inter-species communication, but the fundametal nobility of the dog shines through.
There are interesting commen
Christina
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: giveaways
Thank you HarperChildrens for the Goodreads Giveaway! What a fun read. I really enjoyed it. The book felt like a version of The Martian but for children and with dogs as the main characters. That was a great mash-up for me! I love space adventures and I love dogs. The dogs personalities and characters were cute and had nice depth for a children's book. I really liked the dogs' relationships with Roro (their handler basically) and how they went into the dogs' backstories for Lopside and Champion. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Capture an Invisible Cat (The Genius Factor, #1)
  • The Firefly Code
  • Mascot
  • Knights vs. Dinosaurs
  • Star Scouts
  • Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
  • Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2)
  • Finding Esme
  • Unidentified Suburban Object
  • The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City
  • The Dreamway
  • The Collectors (The Collectors, #1)
  • Earth Force Rising (Bounders #1)
Greg van Eekhout writes books. Some are for kids, some are for adults. He lives in San Diego.
“A donde los humanos fueran, los perros irían también.” 0 likes