Start by marking “Pirate's Wager: Prequel to the Mardan's Mark Series” as Want to Read:
Pirate's Wager: Prequel to the Mardan's Mark Series

Pirate's Wager: Prequel to the Mardan's Mark Series

(Mardan's Mark #0.5)

The ultimate betrayal and a wager lost.

Thirteen-year-old Samazor struggles daily to find shelter and food in Port Azor, but when his father loses a bet with an infamous pirate captain, Samazor learns his freedom is at stake.

Life as a slave on a pirate ship is full of danger, but there’s adventure, too. Abandoned and alone, Samazor must watch his back and make the right fri
Published December 1st 2018 by Word Marker Books

To ask other readers questions about Pirate's Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate's Wager

Start your review of Pirate's Wager: Prequel to the Mardan's Mark Series
Deborah O'Carroll
(Posted with reviews for the rest of the series here!)

This was my first introduction to the Mardan’s Mark series, and I ended up reading it again after I read the first two books and the other companion novella, because now that I’d met the characters elsewhere, I wanted to re-experience this as their backstory.

It was a fascinating introduction to some of the main characters of Mardan’s Mark, in this case Sam, Aldan, and Linus, as well as the pirates of the ship “Cathartid.”

A very quick read, Pi
Cynthia
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this story when I received the opportunity to critique it, and it was as exciting as its description indicates. Adventure, vivid descriptions, emotion, and a good pace make this book an engaging read.
R.J. Rodda
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this. It’s the story of a boy enslaved through the reckless actions of his father and is well told. Be aware this is a prequel and it is short. It is a complete story that is satisfying on its own but this made me want to read more.
OldBird
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In which we meet Samazor, a young lad who ends up enslaved on a pirate ship out of Port Azor. Aboard, he learns the ropes of life at sea alongside two other out of place youngsters. But teens are never far from rebellion, and there's always a price to be paid.

Gritty without being gross, this is wonderfully well-written fantasy fare. It's only a short story as part of the setup to the Mardan's Mark books, so it's scope is quite small. But all that focus is put on the characters of Sam and the mys
Jessica Dowell
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who knew that seven short chapters could wreak such havoc on a person's emotions?! Maybe it's because I'm a mother now with an extra dose of hormones, but Sam's story definitely affected me more than I was expecting. Sold as a slave to Captain Rozar when his father loses a bet, it's no wonder he becomes the gruff, suspicious character we see in Mardan's Mark. I just wanted to hug him and make it okay! This is the story of how he meets Aldan and Linus and how the three form the brotherhood. Heart ...more
Candy Briggs
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short novella. But I did enjoy it. Samazor is thirteen and he works sometimes for Lady Zalmor. His father has a gambling problem and has put Sam up as collateral When his father loses, he is taken to a pirate ship as a slave. He works hard and tries to do as he is told. The writing was very good. It was smooth, easy to read and kept your interest. The boy left a friend behind, Meg, who at one time was their families housekeeper.

I received this ARC from the author and voluntarily revie
Gretchen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Solid Prequel or Standalone

Pirate’s Wager is a solid story that stands on its own. It also provides insight into Sam’s character by exploring his background and how he became a part of the crew.
If this is the first of Kathrese McKee’s books you’ve read, it gives you a good taste into her excellent worldbuilding, tight plotting, and complex characters.
Jackie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing fast paced tale of pirates. Samazor is only 13 yrs old. Life isn’t easy but even made more difficult by his father, who loses a bet. He ends up on a Pirate ship as a slave. At least it’s adventurous. Couldn’t get enough.
Audrey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

What an interesting story. How sad that a young man gets used as collateral and forfeited to a pirate and his crew.
Lamar
Allison Carpentier
Jun 24, 2020
Gemma
Jul 29, 2020

• A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold (The Family of Night, #1)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Game Over (Mindwar, #3)
  • The Border Watch: A Story of the Great Chief's Last Stand
  • The fantasy fiction formula
  • Fearless (Code FFF Series)
  • Decree (The Blades of Acktar, #5)
  • Astray (Ariboslia #1)
  • Deliver (The Blades of Acktar, #4)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Destroy
  • The Spanish Brothers
  • The Tattooed Rats
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #3)
  • Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #5)
Texas author, Kathrese McKee, writes epic adventures for young adults and anyone else who enjoys pirates and princesses combined with life's difficult questions. She is committed to exciting stories, appropriate content, and quality craftsmanship.

Once upon a time, Kathrese worked as a systems engineer. Then, she taught Reading and ESL at the middle school level. These days, she edits fiction, writ

Mardan's Mark (2 books)
  • Mardan's Mark (Mardan's Mark, #1)
  • Mardan's Heir (Mardan's Mark #2)