Start by marking “What I Like About Me” as Want to Read:
What I Like About Me

What I Like About Me

You know all those movies where teenagers have, like, THE SUMMER OF THEIR LIVES?

This summer is probably not going to be that.

Source: Everything that's happened since yesterday ...

The last thing sixteen-year-old Maisie Martin thought she'd be doing this summer is entering a beauty pageant.

Not when she's spent most of her life hiding her body from everyone.

Not when her Dad
Published February 26th 2019 by Pan Australia

To ask other readers questions about What I Like About Me, please sign up.
Mary H Update: What I Like About Me WILL be published in the US by Peachtree Publishing! Pub date is April 1, 2020!

Start your review of What I Like About Me
Chloe
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, arc
3.5 stars*
C.G. Drews
this was a super cute one about body positivity, beauty pageants, and the lazy shenanigans that happen in an Aussie summer. Like I am here for the Aussie-vibes. It was really fluffy/predictable but I acknowledge that I'm getting old and I've read a lot lolol so I can definitely see 12yo+ kids loving this.

RTC
Monica
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Exceptional! What I Like About Me is a quick YA read about family and positive body image. I would definitely recommend this book for readers 13+ due to some language. It's the kind of book I wish had been around when I was an insecure young teen.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Peachtree Publishing for the advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.
ALPHAreader
I mean - obvs.

I represent Jenna as literary agent and I am VERY much in love with Maisie and her story. I've read it about 20 times, and I love it more and more each time!

I said this on Twitter, but it's worth repeating, that: what struck me about it upon re-read is how great the incidental diversity is within. Particularly: a young character who has a troubled home life, but that’s not the focus of their story.

In case you didn’t know: #LoveOzYA tends to have a problem of defaulting to a comfo
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
17th March 2019.
The day I fell in love with Maisie Martin.

Good day to you Discovery Journal.

Unlike Maisie Martin, I am writing this journal entry entirely of my own free will. Maisie on the other hand is being forced under extreme parental duress to write in her school appointed, fire breathing teacher approved journal each day. That's what happens when your mother is also a teacher, you can never escape school.

Now I'm sure Maisie will tell you that even though her father is staying in the city
Amanda
INTL BOOK GIVEAWAY + REVIEW

What I Like About Me is Jenna Guillaume's debut #LoveOzYA release! Jenna is one of my best friends and I am so excited, happy, and proud to see her novel published!

Maisie Martin and her family spend each summer in Cobbers Bay with another family, including a boy named Sebastian Lee. Maisie and Sebastian have always been close, enjoying a fun friendship, but one year Maisie developed a crush on Seb and their interactions became awkward. It didn't help that Seb's really
Taneika

Initially, I wasn’t sure what to really expect going into this book as the only thing I really knew was that it had a body-positive message. This is a fluffy, fun, summer read set in Australia and follows Maisie’s summer holiday with her best friend, family and her years-long crush. While the main focus of this book is body image because Maisie is fat, the way it is explored is done in a really great way and we see Maisie make new friends, figure things out and she even ends up entering
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Maisie Martin never thought she'd enter a beauty pageant. Everything this summer is going to shit—from her dad staying home while she and her mom head to the beach to her best friend hooking up with the boy Maisie's loved her entire life to annoying as fuck Beamer to her sister being horrible and amazing to her having to write everything down in a stupid journal all summer. But now she's in a beauty pageant, and somehow she's going to have to rock a swimsuit.

I am SCREAMING! It's basically Austra
Adele
Dec 03, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ya
It doesn't happen often. That contemporary playfulness and romance (so common in US contemporary) combined with a distinctly Australian sensibility but What I Like About Me but it did. And I really, really enjoyed it.

And as a plus-size girl, I respected Guillaume's exploration of judgement - directed inwardly, from friends, family and strangers. And the fat girl got a lovely person. LOVE.

The voice is definitely in my wheelhouse. I loved the humorous throwaways and the introspection verging on s
Sally ☾
I think middle-school-adolescent me would have enjoyed this book very much.

No-longer-a-teenager-but-far-from-an-adult me thought it was cute and humorous, but also a very predictable young adult romance novel. Regardless, What I Like About Me truly is a lovely book about body positivity, the ups and downs of friendship, family, and being comfortable with who you are.

Also, I cried. But you all know by now how much of an emotional mess I am when it comes to family moments.

I have never read a book
Maria Lewis
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m sure I’m not the first person to say this, but I really wish I’d had this book at as a teenager. Body positive YA literature just didn’t exist then and I can’t help but imagine how integral What I Like About Me is going to be for a whole generation of Aussie teens who feel ‘other’ but will realise they’re a) not alone and b) completely normal and/or extraordinary.
Mirelle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an advanced reading copy of this book, and HOLY MOLY it was so good I’ll definitely be buying a finished copy come March 2019!

This is EXACTLY the kind of YA I longed for when I was a teen and experiencing the inevitable self-loathing of not having a super skinny bod. This is such a wonderfully funny, feel-good, body positive book that will make you laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time.

There are so many relatable scenes (shopping for swimwear) and observations (the hate of peelin
rachel ☾
i was here for the aussieness and fat rep, but it just wasn’t for me

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Michael Araujo
*This review was originally posted on TheFandom.net*

What I Like About Me by Jenna Guillaume delivers a quick read that strikes a spark about self-image, but unfortunately doesn’t produce flame.

Maisie Martin is spending her summer vacation just like every other year; at a camping ground with her family and friends. But this year, things seem to be a bit different. Her dad is MIA, her typically distant sister is back with a few surprises, and her best friend tags along. Things seem like they’ll be
Diem
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the absolute privilege of beta-reading WHAT I LIKE ABOUT ME.

I read it the first time in between two very important uni assessments and I honestly didn't care if I would fail. I just had to keep reading and know more about Maisie. I was so invested in her!

The second time I read it I had to lie down on the ground when I was done. I was overcome by how absolutely brilliant and perfect this book was.

I can't wait to read it the third time in its finished copy.
Hayley
THIS WAS JUST SO DELIGHTFUL AND REAL AND CUTE AND WONDERFUL.

So perfectly Australian and cute and filled with self love and body positivity and everything wonderful and just the sweetest book.

Yes, I will reread this very soon.

Also, can there be a sequel and can I please know what Beamer’s name is?
Caitlin
Teenage-Me would have loved this. Almost-Thirty-Me DID love this. Aussie summer vibes, seaside towns, awkward crushes and juggling friends and family—it’s all there. The body positivity was fantastic. I could take a leaf out of Maisie’s book on that!
Megan Maurice
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I felt quite uneasy and I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why. After a while I realised it was because the author had so perfectly captured the tone of an awkward teenage girl writing in her journal that I felt like I was reading one of my own teenage journals back and feeling embarrassed for myself! This is such a beautiful story that starts out as a lovely, light hearted teenage romp and moves deeper to explore so many issues and really makes you think ...more
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Sweet, funny, smile-until-your-cheeks-hurt cute contemporary Australian YA. All about Summer romance, sisterhood, family, friendships, and body image.

Though I haven't read Dumplin' (only watched the movie) I think this book will probably be heavily compared to it because of the fat teen protagonist and the beauty pageant side plot.

But I think there is enough in this book to stand alone as a great representation of what Summer is like for Aussie teens. It delves into lots of relevant social con
Jaclyn Crupi
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure. Joy.
Brooklyn Tayla
Review copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts are my own.
I had long been looking forward to this one, I always enjoy a feel good story, and I loved how honest and raw this one came across as – and the fact that it was written in diary entries made me feel all the more connected to Maisie.
She’s a wonderful character, truly – I feel so proud of her for how far she’s come from the start of her entries) firstly being not at all happy about having to d
Ali
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YO! This book was such a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. Set in Australia and told through diary entries (which I thought I would hate, but actually ended up loving) we get to know 16-year-old Maisie Martin. This book is all about her unforgettable, "not like the movies" summer vacation where she learns about what love, bravery, true friendship, family, and guts really are.

This book had me hooked from the very beginning and is a quick read! I read it in a da
Sarah Anne Ross (farfromsarah)
So cute it deserves its own Netflix movie
Sofia Casanova
Seriously going to be my favourite YA contemporary of 2019. Review to come.
K.
Trigger warnings: fat shaming, body shaming, lying.

This was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I absolutely flew through it and loved every single second of it. Was it a little predictable? For sure, but I gave zero fucks because it was so stinking cute.

I loved Maisie as a character. Hell, I loved ALL the characters. I loved how much movies played a role in the story, how much learning to love yourself and be comfortable in your own skin played a role in the story. Beamer is...ki
Nusrat Mahmood
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ★

I don't tend to look for the background of the writer before choosing a book so I didn’t know it is an aussie ya. Being at the edge of late 20, I kept my expectations very low while reading YA because my taste changed over the time and mind craves for mature contents still I often find myself craving for light read. I took this book as the cover seemed to be very bright and the synopsis gave a hint of fluffy light read. But the book amazed me big time.

Maisie is a sixteen years old who has
Steph
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so charming and delightful I read the entire thing in one night and cried at the end.
Lainy122
Oh boy. Here's the thing, I never cared about the 'so-and-so has a crush on so-and-so but omg her friend said WHAT, I can't believe she even, yeah I totally heard that GASP' etc etc even when I was in high school, and it is SO much harder to care about it now. So I knew going in that I probably wasn't going to love this one.

That aside, I think I still wouldn't have minded this book too much if it hadn't been for one of the most problematic tropes that I really had hoped we'd seen the last of yea
Indy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and uplifting rom com of a novel that is sure to join the ranks of Dumplin’ and the Upside of Unrequited.

I loved this from start to finish and Maisie is a beautiful, funny and charming voice.
Nice first person narrative of a Australian Summer vacation (in other words over Xmas break), and what happened with a crush, and a competitive sisters, and fighting parents.

Masie has to keep a journal, while she is on break, and although she resists it at first, as life continues to throw things at her, she confides more and more in it.

Her best friend just had a break-up.

Her crush since childhood seems more interested in her best friend.

And she meets a girl who sees the beauty in her, and encou
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Love Lie Repeat
  • Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories
  • The Year the Maps Changed
  • As Happy as Here
  • Don't Check Out This Book!
  • Deep Water
  • Shauna's Great Expectations
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • All That Impossible Space
  • Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories
Jenna Guillaume is a journalist and author who grew up in Wollongong and now lives in Sydney.

By day, Jenna writes about very important things like pop culture, identity, feminism, social media, and her fave OTPs for publications such as BuzzFeed, Junkee, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Guardian. By night she writes Young Adult fiction, binges Netflix and spends far too much time on Twitter.