Start by marking “Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1

(古見さんは、コミュ症です #1)

Timid Tadano is a total wallflower, and that’s just the way he likes it. But all that changes when he finds himself alone in a classroom on the first day of high school with the legendary Komi. He quickly realizes she isn’t aloof—she’s just super awkward. Now he’s made it his mission to help her on her quest to make 100 friends!
Published June 11th 2019 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 16th 2016)

Start your review of Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1
Tim
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, manga
The plot is in the title. Komi can't communicate. The plot follows Tadano as he starts high school. His goal is to pretty much go unnoticed (middle school was a nightmare of bullying and being a social outcast from what little we get from his background). He meets Komi who is one of the most popular girls in class, but also one of the most unapproachable. After a few interactions, he starts realizing that it's not cold aloofness like others think, but rather extreme social anxiety. Through a (wo ...more
Dave Schaafsma
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-psych, manga
I want to make a comment here (and so I will!) about books that announce the topic or problem or identity node in the title, such as Transgender, or Genderfluid or Komi Can’t Communicate: Don’t do that. A novel, if it’s any good, should be about people, not just a single “issue.” So this one is about social anxiety disorder or communication disorder, though Komi turns out, via various scenarios, to be pretty likeable as a character, though not that complex or well-developed.

Everyone thinks Komi
The Artisan Geek
28/7/20
Komi must be protected at ALL COST. She is literally best girl 🥺As someone who is terribly nervous talking to people, I really felt this plight. Long story short, I need this entire series.

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website | The Storygraph
Miranda Reads
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description
I've been meaning to pick this one up for ages and I'm glad I did.

The premise of this manga is exactly the title - Komi, the appointed "princess" of her class, has always been mistaken as an aloof icy girl...but in reality she just can't communicate.

When someone talks to her or when she tries to talk to someone, she just freezes up.

And while it might look cool or snobbish or like she's ignoring her classmates - the reality is that she just doesn't know what to say or do.

Along comes Tadano - w
Lauren Lanz
Komi Can’t Communicate is a very simplistic and trope heavy manga. Despite this, I can’t deny that it was a pretty quick and fun read.

~★~ What is this manga about? ~★~

Komi has a hard time communicating with her classmates, and finds herself nervous at the thought of starting conversations. Soon enough, Komi meets Tadano, a socially awkward boy similar to her. Tadano swears to help Komi make as many friends as possible in high school, helping her overcome her fear of communication.

~★~

My main
Sam Quixote
Komi can’t communicate? I’d say he did pretty well at communicating Hillary Clinton’s cavalier (and illegal) actions towards keeping classified state emails on her private server during the 2016 election! Oh wait - that was James Comey, the former FBI director. This Komi is a shy high school student…

The first book of Tomohito Oda’s series Komi Can’t Communicate wasn’t bad. I’m sure most naturally shy and socially awkward people will easily relate to Komi’s struggle to have the confidence to spe
Bookishrealm
I’ve been hearing so much about Komi Can’t Communicate and I was definitely excited to read it. This was a solid read that focuses on Komi who has social anxiety that prevents her from being able to communicate with the rest of class. Tadano and Komi connect one day during lunch and he vows to help her make 100 friends. What’s so interesting is that Komi’s classmates are literally obsessed with her. They believe that she is a “goddess” among normal people. It’s actually quite funny the way they ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Komi is super popular despite her aloof reputation. Only timid Tadano seems to notice that she doesn't talk... ever! When she reaches out to him on the first day of class he quickly realizes it's awkwardness holding her back. Now he'll become her first friend in her quest to make 100 friends.

The Premise

I can't help myself when I learn a character is awkward I just relate too much to pass them by... so I HAD to read Komi Can't Communicate vol 1. I totally fell for Komi just like every other fool
Wendi Lee
I've been thinking about reading Komi Can't Communicate for months now, so I was delighted to receive a free copy through Netgalley. This manga is about Komi, a beautiful high school girl who is so shy and socially awkward, she's unable to even speak to her fellow schoolmates. Tadano also suffers from social anxiety, albeit a milder version, and while at first bowled over by Komi's beauty, realizes that they have many things in common. Through notes written on the blackboard, Tadano finds out th ...more
Victoria ♡
Probably 2.5 for me. I liked Komi herself but the other characters?? I couldn't stand them...idk I just didn't like them or how they acted, especially the main guy. Overall it was kind of just average, I enjoyed some parts, was bored in others. I'm kinda sad this didn't hit me how I wanted it to but win some lose some I guess. I probably won't be reading anymore of this one but the art was really nice and Komi was sweet! ...more
Shannon
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
2.5

As with most manga with a running gag I figured this might get old, and while Komi's constant trembling and inability to communicate at times does get a bit frustrating, it's not overly so. I also enjoy the friendship she's building with Tadano and I think this series might get better as it goes instead of the opposite.
Kate
5/5stars

This is so unique, adorable, hilarious, endearing and wonderful! Loved this first volume
Rod Brown
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
To her classmates, quiet Shoko Komi is serene, elegant, charismatic and pretty, the class goddess. But average schmo Tadano stumbles upon the secret that she suffers so greatly from social anxieties and shyness that she is electively mute and has no friends. It's one of those oddly paced humor manga where each eight page chapter consists of a string of single page gags, so it took me a while to warm up to it. But the shy girl is very cute and I found myself pulling for her every time she made a ...more
Lauren
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga

The plot was very thin and the chapters were simply scenarios Komi found herself in where she couldn’t communicate; however, I did find myself smiling and going ‘awwww’ throughout so I am intrigued to find out what other situations Komi finds herself in.
Amber
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This was super cute I will definitely check out the second volume!
Ruthsic
I expected this manga to be a cute and adorable friendship (to maybe romance) story about a girl who has difficulty speaking to people and is being helped by a shy boy to make friends, and yes, in a way, it is that. Komi has trouble talking to people, and her attempts come across instead as poised reserve, and she has a ‘untouchable goddess’ status among her classmates. So when Tadano starts to befriend her (he also has a crush on her) he instantly becomes the target of his classmates’ scorn. Ne ...more
Lexie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This didn't quite reach me the way that I thought it would. Well possibly because I wasn't expecting Tadano being the impetus for her making friends. He reminds me a little of Kamiyama from Cromartie High School (endlessly oblivious to how absurd his position is at all times).

Also not fond of Komi's two other friends she makes.

Komi however I greatly liked. And the art style appealed to me.

Just didn't hit me like I wanted unfortunately.
Maggi Rohde
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen, graphic-novel
The worst gender stereotypes mar this portrayal of a girl struggling to break out of her anxiety.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
Hitohito Tadano has somehow been accepted to Itan Private High School, an elite prep school, despite being average in every way. His primary goal is to blend in and not make any waves.

This becomes difficult after he meets Komi, the cool, distant, and elegant girl who sits next to him in class. Tadano gradually comes to the realization that Komi isn't actually cool and distant, but rather incredibly socially anxious and bad at talking to people. Forgetting his own goals, Tadano becomes determin
James DeSantis
A cute story about a girl who everyone thinks is either "SUPER HOT" or "SO SCARY" because when people look at her she looks so stern. But the real fact is she's lonely and can't speak and just wants to be friends.

The best part of this cute series is the art. Watching the characters change from super serious to bug eyed in a instant gives me plenty of laughs. I also enjoyed the interactions with everyone and a few times the characters trying to speak got me laughing hard. Also Komi is TOO cute,
Des Fox
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this. Totally cute and refreshing and just easy fun. It's warm and full of light, so go read it! There's not enough really "going on" here for me to slap 5 stars on it, but I suspect the journey to 100 friends only gets more magical from here on out. ...more
Jen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really cute and I’m glad I was able to pick this up. Quick, cute read. 5 stars.
The Curious Wanderer
I do admit it is a cute series about a timid guy and a shy girl even if it is draggy. This story is more based on kawaii goodness than serious things happening in the manga so if you don’t like slow burn romances, then this manga isn’t for you. Reason I decided to read this manga in the first because it recently announced that it is becoming an anime this October and of course, my communication skills are crap like Komi-san so the manga is relatable somewhat!
Wei Ming
May 16, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing more than a male fantasy of a quiet submissive woman with no character but to simp for male mc. Slow pacing.
Dana
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, library, 2021
This review will be for the whole series! Read at your own risk!!

Read 11 volumes

I did not expect to LOVE this the way I did!! Komi is a sweet darling girl who can’t bring herself to speak to almost anyone. But she still has a goal of making 100 friends. Enter Hitohito Tadano who becomes her friend and helps her with her goal. I ship them!

I love the whole cast they introduced and how they’re all super weird. It’s funny and yet still heartwarming seeing Komi start to break out of her shell.

I LOVE
Jinghay (these.blank.pages)
This was such a fun volume! The characters were hilarious and Komi was absolutely adorable!

I'm interested to see where they'll go from here and how she'll overcome her fear of talking to others in the future.
On top of the art style being amazing, I also thought the manga contained some really important messages for the reader to consider--and so I highly recommend everyone to pick this up!

Will definitely be back for future volumes! ✨
Rating: 4.5/5 ⭐
Rebecca
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, manga
I am impressed by how not mean the humor here is.
Alexandra ☁
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
I can relate to Komi, but I hope it gets more interesting or i'll drop. ...more
Rifat
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tadano Hitohito being an wallflower was excited about starting his high school. There he meets Komi the famous girl of his class. Though Komi is famous among the classmates but Komi can't communicate. She keeps quiet all the time. Even not a single word!! But Tadano gets the point about Komi and tries to communicate with her. He gets to know that making 100 friends of own is the biggest dream of Komi.

Well! Tadano thinks about it. Taking it as a job, he starts to search friends for Komi :)

I love
Alice 🌙
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, manga, young-adult
4/5 ⭐️
Super cute and funny first volume!
Book Review: Komi-san has a Communication Disorder. 1 6 Aug 18, 2018 01:13AM

• SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, Vol. 1
  • Kaguya-sama: Love Is War, Vol. 1
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • SPY×FAMILY 3 (Spy x Family, #3)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • Chainsaw Man, Vol. 1
  • SPY×FAMILY 4 (Spy x Family, #4)
  • 呪術廻戦 1 [Jujutsu Kaisen 1]
  • Blue Flag, Vol. 1
  • The Quintessential Quintuplets, Vol. 1
  • かぐや様は告らせたい ~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~ 2
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • 彼女、お借りします 1 [Kanojo, Okari shimasu 1] (Rent-A-Girlfriend, #1)
  • Sweat and Soap, Vol. 1
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 9
See top shelves…
ODA Tomohito
Name (in native language): 小田智仁
Associated Names: オダトモヒト

古見さんは、コミュ症です (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 2
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 3
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 4
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 5 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #5)
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 6