Start by marking “Unbreak Me” as Want to Read:

Unbreak Me

What could two troubled souls from different walks of life have in common? Maybe everything.

Andra Lawler lives isolated at her family’s horse ranch, imprisoned by the memories of an assault in college. When she needs help training her foals, she hires a Haitian-Creole cowboy from New Orleans with a laugh as big as the Montana sky.

LJ Delisle can’t stand the idea that And
Published August 13th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Unbreak Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbreak Me

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

L.J. loves horses but opportunities to make a living training them in New Orleans are slim, so when he manages to get offered a job in Montana, he wants to take the chance. Leaving the Ninth Ward community and his mother who suffers from Lupus is hard but L.J. has a dream and when he catches sight of Andra, she starts to become a part of them.
It's been
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelly
Holy Hannah. This book just knocked my socks off.

A dynamic mixture of sweet, heartwarming romance set against gritty, honest, and thought-provoking real world trauma, Unbreak Me was incredibly compelling and impossible to put down. I was fascinated and heartbroken and swooning like crazy - sometimes all at the same time. This story was incredible, and important, and I suspect it will be sticking with me for quite some time.

I loved the tone of the storytelling. I loved how Ms. Hazen opened my ey
Kelsie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ftr-read
Michelle Hazen

Unbreak Me is a daring contemporary romance by Michelle Hazen.

LJ Delisle is a 28-year-old, 6’5” black Creole cowboy from New Orleans who has traveled west for a job interview for a horse handler at the Lawler Ranch. LJ has issues related to physical and emotional trauma he suffered during and in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. LJ has repeatedly faced racial discrimination and knows that his physical stature only adds to the perception that he is a dangerous person.
Sandra
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves all the stars!

Unbreak Me is a powerful book, one that takes on racism and sexual assault, but also the beautiful love story between two unlikely people.

It was easy to fall in love with Michelle Hazen's characters. LJ Delisle and Andra Lawler couldn't be any different, but both equally touched my heart. LJ is charming and easy going, not a simple thing for a man who has faced the devastation of Katrina and racism as he builds a career as a horse trainer. Andra, on the other han
Skye Kilaen
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as no-thank-you
I didn't manage to finish the sample. I was uncomfortable with the Black MC's descriptions of New Orleans - it didn't sound like any way I've heard Black New Orleans folks talk about their city - and then I found out on Twitter that his initials, LJ, stand for Lyndon Johnson "because his parents saw Lyndon Johnson speak once and were impressed." (quote from JenReadsRomance)

Uh, no. Unless I see a tidal wave of Black reviewers endorsing this book, I'm not going any further.

I'm told there is a com
Margaret  (xoxoLibro)
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-tbr
I literally haven't stopped gushing about Unbreak Me since I cracked the first page. I give it all the stars. ALL THE STARS. I loved it so much I went back to the beginning and started it again.

See gushing below...but if you just want the quick summary: Read this book for the feels, for the warm laughter, for the horses, for real glimpses of racism and trauma, for the healing, for the kindness and love, and of course, for the HOT sex.

My #1 reason - LJ. He's perfection, actual perfection, on the
Maxym Martineau
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Hazen creates a beautiful, dynamic world with incredible backdrops from two very different settings. But it wasn't the plains of Montana or the magic of New Orleans that stole my heart, it was her main characters. The breadth of their emotions and conflicts they face had me turning pages late into the night, hoping and praying they'd find a way to make love work against all odds. Unbreak Me left me with a feeling of warmth in my heart, and I can't wait to see what's on the horizon for H ...more
Heather Fleet
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of words I could use to describe this story, yet none that can truly depict its brilliance. My emotions were raw and ripped, countless of times throughout, only for Michelle to put me together again (somehow) in the end. Andra and LJ were two pieces of a puzzle meant to be, but went through some personal hellfires to get to where they landed. I loved Andra like a bestie and LJ... he is a THE ULTIMATE book boyfriend. ❤

Bold and beautiful story telling.
Kelly
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is raw and devastating at times, but full of so much heart. It tackles unbelievably tough subject matter, setting that turmoil against vivid backdrops that had me dropped smack dab in a Montana ranch, then sweating on the streets of New Orleans. The story will stay with me for weeks to come.
Mary Ann Marlowe
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Unbreak Me broke me. This book grabs hold from the first pages and doesn't let go until the end. I loved sweet, sweet LJ and tough, but soft Andra from the start, but as more and more of their layers were revealed, I fell more in love. They both seemed so different from each other from the outside, but their interest in horses brought them together, and their backgrounds, though so different they might drive them apart, were arguably so similar they allowed them to know each other unlike anyone ...more
Anna
4.5 stars Unbreak Me is a beautifully written love story between two wonderful characters with the backdrop of rural Montana and urban New Orleans. It is a story of healing and hope and it puts you through all of the feels. Andra is a small town girl who suffered something terrible, leaving her with crippling anxiety. LJ finds himself as a horse trainer on her ranch after surviving the horrors of Hurricane Katrina. Both characters are survivors and they find friendship, healing, and love togethe ...more
Jen
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book.

There are serious issues at the core of it. Racism, sexual assault, debilitating anxiety, even the recovery of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. These are all handled with such obvious tenderness for LJ and Andra, and such hope and power ... and somehow it still manages to be funny and sexy. And did I mention funny? And sexy?

I fell in love with these characters, and their friends and parents ... I miss being in this world. Definitely going on the "to be reread" shelf.

Michelle
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unbreak Me by Michelle Hazen

I am voluntarily reviewing this ARC.

This book gave me a serious case of the feels. It is beautifully written with characters that feel real and subject matters that are relevant. Andra was the victim of a terrible crime and is fighting her way back mentally and emotionally. L.J. is a horse trainer that came to her ranch for a job not looking for love, but there she is right in front of him. One of the obstacles they face is that he is black and she is white. When I s
TeriLyn
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
**Unbreak Me generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

2 "And you make me believe..." Stars

This started off so strong for me and I was eager to learn more about the characters and their back stories. Less 20% in though it started falling. So many details without much depth made the book flat and bit dull for me. I was neither invested nor excited. The story had potential with the heavy topics introduced such as racism, sexual assault, and biracial roma
Brandi Atchison
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hazen’s new book Unbreak Me is a wonderfully inspiring read. We all have those things in our past that we have to work at overcoming, some are just bigger than others. Love has a way of sending us what we need when we’ve given up on ourselves.

… ”I want my life back. I don’t want to just make it through one day at a time, counting myself as lucky if I don’t have a panic attack.” ...

Andra Lawler, is the daughter of a Montana horse rancher, and is an award winning horse trainer. An assault five y
Barbara
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read many of Michelle Hazen's books and love her style of writing. While her stories have sexy scenes, there is also a lot of depth to the stories. Characters with dark pasts or challenges to face. She weaves a tapestry of emotions together - humor, pain, despair, hope, anger, betrayal, love, faith - that make the stories compelling. Unbreak Me managed that as well. Two unlikely characters - one who is fighting for a better life, the chance to do what he loves, all while having to leave t ...more
Micheal
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This novel was a very powerful, intensely brilliant story! I absolutely LOVED it! This is seriously a raw novel about racism, love, trauma, laughter and healing. I loved both the main characters, each one from two different socially economic status, absolutely different states (Louisiana and Montana), both having their own tragic personal assaults but the healing with one another is truly a beautiful thing. I can honestly say, I could NOT put this novel down. Just the care and tenderness on how ...more
Deborah Maroulis
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Hazen delivers an authentic and engaging love story between two unlikely people trapped in the mire of their past. Artfully written, this story will take you on the most romantic highs and lead you through the heartbreak that is exactly what real life responsibility is all about. I've never wanted a leading male character to be real more than I wish I could find Lj on a ranch in Montana.
Patti
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
***Received via Goodreads Giveaway***

This was a very interesting take on a standard romance. I loved the characters and the writing was good. The obstacles were way more interesting than the standard "misunderstandings" that so permeate romance.

Recommended.
Terri M.
Hot! Hot! Hot!

Michelle tackles many tough subjects with grace and honesty. The characters are real in all aspects, making the plot drive forward with a satisfying climax and conclusion.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Novel Grounds
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I got this book in the mail a few months ago and it was such beautiful story. It was emotional and so jam packed with plot that I didn't think the author could wrap it up in one book, but she did and she did it beautifully.

This book truly was an emotional rollercoaster that broke you. It ripped you to pieces quite a few times. Then, the author took her time and put everything back together into a beautiful mosaic.

Andra and LJ were the best. I don't even know what else to say about them. I lov
Meghan
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I received an ARC of Unbreak Me, and being a fellow horse girl, I couldn't wait to read it! This isn't your "typical" romance novel, Unbreak Me just has so much HEART. And horses. It gets you coming and going =) I think what set this book aside for me was the male lead...I adore a non-traditional, non-alpha romantic interest. LJ was everything...he cooked, he loves his family, he's a consummate horseman... it's the ultimate in "cowboy" fantasy for this girl =) More than that, he's understanding, ...more
Leigh Kramer
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as not-reading-problematic-content
Not reading because: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Additional issues mentioned here: https://twitter.com/LaQuetteWrites/st...
Becky Grayson
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful love story. I enjoyed the realistic look at the problems they face. The sex scenes were a little graphic for me but in no way did it take anything away from the book.

Very much recommend this book!
Emily
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I really enjoyed this book. Took me a while to get into everything, but once I was hooked, I had to know everything.

This book was powerful, it took on topics including racism and sexual assault. I thought she wrote both sides of the story really well. She also took true events and stories, working them into fiction, which was thoughtful and brought this book to life.

This unlikely pairing, with the odds against them, were such a beautiful couple and I adored how sweet they were to one anoth
Amanda Hash
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a powerful love story about two people overcoming hurt and loss to find each other-- and themselves. Touching on some difficult subjects -- racism, sexual assault-- it was deeply moving and, at times, brought me to tears. LJ and Andra were amazingly relatable characters and I loved them immediately, and thoroughly enjoyed their dialogue (which is a subject I'm VERY picky about!)

Hazen clearly did a lot of research for her story and presented things in a careful, considerate way which I
Naughty Mom Story Time
This book took me some time to get through. The first half was slow paced and I had trouble getting into the story; however LJ and Andra had a beautiful story that completely sucked me in for the second half.

LJ was such an incredible character. He was honorable, kind, funny and oh so gentle. And that gentleness came in handy when it came to Andra.

Andra was skittish from the moment they met. And for good reason; however LJ’s attraction to her as well as his desire to help her brings out Andra’s
Diane Ferbrache
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Andra is recovering from a traumatic event a few years ago and LJ is looking for a new life in Montana after surviving the horrors of Katrina in New Orleans. They find joy in each other and in training the horses on Andra's father's ranch.

I wanted to enjoy this book and there are many things to like -- the stories are slowly revealed as Andra & LJ's friendship grows, and their stories are compelling and heart-breaking making their characters even more endearing. There's humor throughout tha
Sue
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The cover first attracted me to this book and I was happy to receive an ARC from goodreads and Berkeley publishing. Actually it was quite different from what I expected. Although it’s about very heavy subjects such as racism, PTSD, and assault it’s really quite a gentle book. The main characters LJ and Andie were very appealing and engaging. In spite of what they had both been through, they manage to work through and come out on the other side. If I have any criticism maybe it’s more explicit th ...more
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A bold, socially-conscious contemporary romance novel that explores everything from race, culture, and social status in the midst of an emotional love story between people with darkness in their pasts. The characters in this story just broke me down and built me back up while reading it. Beautiful!

Andra Lawler lives an isolated life on a horse ranch her family owns in Montana. Though her life seems lonely, Andra finds that the only time she feels free from the anxiety and panic attacks that plag
« previous 1 3 next »
Michelle Hazen is a nomad with a writing problem. Years ago, she and her husband ducked out of the 9 to 5 world and moved into their truck. She found her voice with the support of the online fanfiction community, and once she started typing, she never looked back. She has written most of her books in odd places, including a bus in Thailand, an off-the-grid cabin in the Sawtooth Mountains, a golf c ...more