Start by marking “A Hole in My Genes: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
A Hole in My Genes: A Memoir

A Hole in My Genes: A Memoir

Dr Jodie Fleming is a Clinical Health Psychologist practicing in South West Victoria. Jodie once specialised in the field of psycho-oncology - the human side of cancer.
In 2010 at the age of thirty-seven, she receives the terrifying news that she has two primary breast cancers. This becomes a frightening opportunity to practice what she preaches.

The doctor becomes the patie
ebook
Published February 4th 2019 by MoshPit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Hole in My Genes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hole in My Genes

Start your review of A Hole in My Genes: A Memoir
Danielle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s impossible to find the words to describe the emotions I felt while reading this book. Jodie is such a talented story teller. As a result, every recollection is so vivid it allows the reader to feel the fear and uncertainty of the moment. All the while, Jodie’s bubbly optimism and lust for life shine through every page.
Kate Harzmeyer
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow! From the moment I started this book I just couldn’t put it down! Jodie has a way of writing that takes the reader on her journey where you get a real and honest read. I absolutely loved it!
Christine Harris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author takes you on her cancer journey, the good, the bad and ugly. Very enjoyable to read and gives great insight into the mind and inner turmoil the author went through and the journey to remission.
Bianca Sciessere
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the first chapter of A Hole in my Genes I could not turn the pages fast enough. Dr Fleming’s ability to story tell her journey with authenticity, frankness and at times, gut-wrenching honesty consumed me from the outset. I could feel her pain, I felt her sadness, I wanted to jump into the pages and wrap her a warm hug. This incredibly brave memoir is a reminder to us all how precious life can be, and how quickly it can change. Thank you for sharing your story with us all.
Belinda Birtles
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Apply enough intense heat and pressure and you may just end up with a diamond. This diamond is Jodie Fleming. Candid. Brave. Brutal. Quirky. Brilliant. As a health professional ‘A hole in my genes’ has given me invaluable insight. As a young woman, it made me laugh, and reflect, but most of all left me inspired for life.
Maya Linnell
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much to learn, and so much to love about this book. Bravo, Jodie x
Kristine
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
what Can I say this book is all kinds of awesome. It’s raw it’s honest it’s real. It will make you cry and laugh and cry some more. Such an easy and relatable read. It’s informative at a level that makes sense and important message to anyone touch by cancer. The quality of product is beautiful. Love love love this book. Thank you Jodie for sharing this with your village and the world.
Ann Cooper
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read, a cannot put down read, an impossible to forget read. REAL characters.
So packed full of genuine and honest, heartfelt emotion NO-ONE could possibly prepare for.
It touches your very soul.
Jodie has a magnetic skill of writing which pulls you right into the moments and so you feel you are right there with her.......Uncanny and so unique.
Leaves you with a thirst for more of her motivation.
Kellie Sweeney
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first pages of this book I could not stop reading.
Jodie has written this memoir with such courage, warmth, honesty and candour. It is evident she has an extremely generous heart. This book bravely discusses the life changing news of a breast cancer diagnosis and the ripple effect on everything that was once considered normal. Relationships, career, family and friends are all impacted as well as coming to terms with the uncertainty this diagnosis brings. Jodie takes you by the hand
Janine
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read - sad yes, educative yes, but just such a beautiful story. I highly recommend this book.
Brittany
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a raw and honest insight into her personal story of living with cancer! Highly recommend this book!
JM Griffin
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Survivor

As a 37 year breast cancer survivor I enjoyed this book.

The fear of the cancer returning never goes away. I am blessed because I know many women that did not make it.
Michelle Ladhams
I loved this book. I started crying at page one then pulled myself together at around page 35; and really glad I did. Such an amazing story of strength, divorce, cancer, survival, friendships and family. I couldn’t put it down (but had as I needed to go to work 😂). Take the time to join Jodie on her journey
Melanie
A brave journey of Jodie’s path living through some of life’s most epic battles. The beauty of this book is that her story is told with great humour, realism and honesty. A fantastic & gripping read. Beautiful, uplifting.
Nicole Maree Foster
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A honest and raw account of a breast cancer journey. With such a great writing style I wanted to be reading this when I wasn’t.
Thank you for sharing Jodie, it’s given me more understanding of not just the physical health side of cancer but also the mental health element.
Shey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book is brutally honest and beautifully written. I couldn’t put it down.
Rachy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And so with an "I want to go to NYC sigh" and bittersweet smile - I've finished.
It's beautiful Jode - enjoyable like Hannah Gadsbys "Nanette" is enjoyable. You laugh, you cry, you swear and quietly nod along in agreement to those parts that resonate. Because it's not "just" a story about cancer survival really is it? Its about grief and loss, relationships, societal vs personal values , soul searching, health, wellbeing, fear, mortality and why the superficial "positive thinking" is a bullshit
Matt Baker
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will never stop being amazed by the courage that people like Jodie Fleming show us when transporting us into their lives.

Her vulnerability and openness, allowing us to be a part of her struggle, challenge, determination and celebration has provided me with a window into who she is.

We all suffer from these types of experiences - thank you Jodie for sharing and showing me a courageous path.
Stacey
Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately I didn't find this book helpful, insightful, brave or dare I say interesting. As the 'author' is a psychologist I felt concerned with the lack of coping mechanisms shown. Cancer is a personal journey which I deeply appreciate. Some of us choose dignity and others are more narcissistic and decide everyone must know what they have travelled through. Glad she is ok and I hope she figures out how to be happy and moves out of the cancer bubble she seems determined to stay in. ...more
Sue
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh wow, an eye opener and quite confronting. It's great to get the story 'from the horse's mouth'. As a cancer survivor myself I learned new things. I too suffered some of the side affects and after affects and couldn't get answers. Jody has given an insight into most aspects of cancer treatment and survival. And best of all given answers to many questions. Well worth the read. ...more
Sue Summerill
Good book.

This is a good book. It brings back many memories of my cancer fufteen years ago. Very much the same Medicaid and side effects and after treatment recovery. An added side effects not mentioned is chemo brain. God bless the author for sharing her story.
Gilion Dumas
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Psychologist Jodie Fleming specialized in "psycho-oncology" counseling cancer patients before her own breast cancer diagnosis. Her new memoir, A Hole in My Genes, tells how Jodie went from doctor to patient and worked through grief and loss, surgeries, and infertility to cancer survival.

Her professional background gave her a well-stocked toolkit of cognitive and behavioral strategies to draw from. Her book describes both how to use tools such as accessing social supports, using mindful groundin
Nicole Naylor

• Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted
  • Practice Makes Perfect: : How One Doctor Found the Meaning of Lives
  • Playing God: The Evolution of a Modern Surgeon
  • The Flatshare
  • Red Blanket: An uncensored memoir that reveals the underbelly of surgical training
  • See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
  • The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1)
  • Lady Killer (Rosato & Associates, #10)
  • You Be Mother
  • Songs of a War Boy
  • Trafficked
  • Hell Ship
  • The Anti-Cool Girl
  • The Marvels
  • Desert Dawn
Jodie Fleming is a native Victorian and passionate devotee of experiential living. She has danced salsa in Cuba and had many a siesta in España. She works as a clinical and health psychologist in a variety of settings and dedicates her free time to swimming in the ocean, following her nephews around to their various sporting endeavours, running with her beloved staffy Mortimer and watching foreign ...more

News & Interviews