Start by marking “X-23, Vol. 2: X-Assassin” as Want to Read:
X-23, Vol. 2: X-Assassin

X-23, Vol. 2: X-Assassin

(X-23 (2018) #2)

A series of gruesome murders. A killer who disappears without a trace. Laura and Gabby are on the hunt. But when Laura comes face-to-face with the mysterious X-Assassin, nothing is as it seems... Laura and Gabby face the creators of the X-Assassin...and find they might not agree on what to do about this barely human killer.

COLLECTING: X-23 7-12
Published August 13th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-23, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23, Vol. 2

Artemy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goddammit, once again a great and under-appreciated Marvel series gets the boot entirely too soon. Well it was a good run while it lasted, and I enjoyed Mariko Tamaki’s take on the team of Laura, Gabby and Jonathan even more than Tom Taylor’s. Loved the art in this volume, too — Diego Olortegui deserves more work and recognition, this book looked absolutely lovely and consistent throughout. I’m going to miss this delightful series, hoping that one day Marvel will bring it back with yet another s ...more
AGamarra
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Lamentablemente otro cierre apresurado para X-23. ¿Por qué sus series siempre acaban pronto y abruptamente? Eso hace que la historia final no sea la mejor.
Me gustó mucho el primer volumen pero creo que aquí la escritora se fue . Para colmo el enemigo el Dr. Chandler quién está produciendo (por enésima vez) otro clon de Laura. Creo que ese tema ya está demasiado explotado en sus series. Esa trama y varios episodios juveniles de hermana - hermana entre Laura y Gabby lo hace a mi gusto muy si
James DeSantis
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as volume 1 sadly.

So Gabby and Laura continue their adventure but this time we meet yet ANOTHER clone of Laura. This one does not have a healing factor and could die. She's also partly robotic. So Gabby of course decides to befriend her to try and make her join their gang. This story also goes into the final two part story which involves Gabby trying to find her way in life.

Overall, it's good. It's colorful, the fights are fun, and the Laura/Gabby relationship remains to be the hig
Shannon Appelcline
Dammit, Marvel, I can't believe you cancelled X-23 yet AGAIN. Y'know, I read comics for long-form storytelling, which lasts not months, but years, even decades. You're violating our compact about the serial comic form when you cancel comics on a yearly basis, and when you constantly give new authors the OK to soft-boot their titles.

Anywho ...

Tamaki really seems to have figured out her characters in this second volume, especially Gabby, who is awesome in her Gabby-ness, not just
Chris Lemmerman
God damn it, my computer glitched out while I was halfway through my review here, so I've lost most of my thoughts.

Right, quick version - the first four issues are X-Assassin, which isn't bad but feels a little like it's covering ground that we already covered back at the beginning of Taylor's run with the Four Sisters, so it's a bit unnecessary.

Dear Gabby, the following two issues, is much better, showing the differences between Laura and Gabby as well as the closeness b
The Lost Dreamer
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: super-heroines
I was an enthusiast of Tamaki's first issues on X-23. The first arc had a cool X-Men flavour and fun dialogs. The relationship between Laura and Gabby seemed a little stuck, but it was quite amusing. All that stopped being true in the final six issues: the plot becomes repetitive and lacks any thrill or interest. The two final issues are simply stupid. It's a shame, but I don't regret Marvel's decission to end this series because, frankly, it was clearly going nowhere. As I said, a shame: Laura ...more
Tundextra
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-men-books
Marvel continuity-wise the first X-book to be cancelled to make room for Hickman's X-univers.
This second volume is not as good as the first as it continues with the ongoing and now boring(?) theme of X and HB seeking out firms using theirs or other mutants' genes for bio warfare, crime or profit - Tamaki does build more on the characters and relationship between X and Honey Badger.
6 out of 12
Renata
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
(read as single issues)

Hate 2 compare but this never gelled for me the way Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine series did. The whole clone-robot-assassin plot here felt like re-treading the same stuff for Laura without...much new to come out of if it? Still, love these characters and I'm glad Jonathan the literal wolverine got to stay and hang out.
Roy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great!!
Rike @ RikeRandom
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked this up until the last issue and then it just got weird? I mean, what kind of ending is that?! :(
Aaron
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
They grow up so fast, don't they?

Leave it to a cyborg assassin to show some of the X-Family's most brutal warriors how important it is to nurture personal growth. X-ASSASSIN is a solid, compact volume of superhero action. So many trade paperbacks have divergent or split narratives it's frustrating, but Laura and Gabby's adventures stay true to the book's mission statement of giving readers a raw taste of the underside of mutant-hero work.

Hunting, debunking and arresting scientists
Adam Fisher
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our two favorite bladed clone sisters return here for not only a myriad of violence and craziness, but also for some very emotional strife. Couldn't imagine this book not having the both of them though.
In "X-Assassin", Laura and Gabby are targeted by a new cyborg clone of them dubbed TUOKS. Given all of the combat prowess, but none of the healing capabilities, she causes the sisters to spilt on what to do with her. Gabby always sees the good in things and being the gentle soul she is, take
Louis Skye
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this second volume as single issues. It was more personal, more about the X-family, and I really liked those moments.

The whole X-Assassin arc was brilliant and sad. I love the relationship between Laura and Gabby but I appreciate how they approach their clone origins in different ways.

The last issue was strangely light but I don't mind. It put their lives in perspective, I feel, and has given them a purpose and a drive to move on.

The art is gorgeous again. The covers are to
Elessar
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Malgrés quelques frayeur concernant le traitement de la relation Laura/Gabby, ce second arc c'est avéré des plus sympathique et Mariko n'est heureusement pas revenu sur le lien fort qui unit les deux sœurs.
Un peu triste que la série s'arrête déjà, j'espère que Jonhathan Hickman à des plans pour ces eux personnages et qu'on les reverra bientôt.
C
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have I mentioned before that I freaking love Laura and Gabby? Well, I do. And this volume continues strong characterization and fun fast paced plotting.

Unfortunately, it is apparently another X-title that has been cancelled when it is really good. Seems par for the course for Marvel lately.
Lexi
3.5. Read as single issues. I liked this much better than the cuckoo sisters arc. I'm glad Tamaki kept Gabby and Jonathan. Laura deserves a family, and it was nice that she kept her humanity even though Marvel reverted her to her lab-given experiment name after getting to be (THE BEST) Wolverine.
Mike McDevitt
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honey Badger is a better super hero name than Scout. Also, Alchemax was created in 2013, while Laura first appeared in 2004-so X-23 existed a couple of Marvel years before Alchemax was even incorporated.
Daniel Butcher
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Pretty solid look at indentity, the value of being and how weapons are evolved.

Oh and it's a comic about a young female Wolverine!
Tjavierb
Jun 13, 2019
Lindsay B-e
Sep 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice (Women's ...more

X-23 (2018) (2 books)